Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Outback steering wheel shaking and hesitation

Comments

• thor14thor14 Posts: 17
    edited August 2010
    I continue to be confused by this whole steering shudder as well.

I did test drive one the other day, and I briefly got it up to 65 mph and I did notice a vibration in the steering wheel. It wasn't bad, but enough to notice, especially if your keen to it.

If thats all it is, I do not think such a vibration would keep me from purchasing the vehicle, but in light of all the attention being paid to it lately and some of the stories I have reading, I am still hesitant to purchase.

And yes, the dealer also told me its really not that big a deal and Subaru is very loyal to its customers and if there was a problem they would do everything they could to fix it.

Thor
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Posts: 124
    Our 2010 OB with >8K is smooth on the highway, but it does exhibit some annoying hesitation at times that was not there when new. Have not brought it to the attention of dealer yet.
  • I just bought a brand new 2011 Outback (2.5 w/ CVT) and I am feeling a pulse or vibration in the steering wheel at low speeds (parking garage speed). I also think I feel it at higher speeds (over 40 mph) when I let up on the gas and let the Outback coast. I saw postings on highway speed vibrations and pulling but this seems different from that... Anyone else with issues like this? Thanks!
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    There is a known steering defect in the new Outback which affects an unknown percentage of cars.

Go to subaruoutback.org where there are many threads and literally hundreds of pages of posts on the various shake issues experienced by buyers of the new Outback.

See the Forum entitled "Steering Wheel Shake Issues."

It is unfortunate you were not aware of this before you bought the car.
  • I think Post 45 is talking about a different problem than yours, Phillsea. I believe post 45 is talking about the high-speed steering wheel vibration issue, that affects some 2010-11 OBs at 65-75 mph, roughly.

But in addition to that issue there have been a few posts on www.subaruoutback.org about a pulsing at very low speeds, or even when turning the steering wheel while standing still. If I recall right, the person (or maybe more than one) who posted about this separate issue ended up having something fixed that was related to their power-steering pump. You might have to search that forum using carefully-chosen key words, to NOT include the hundreds and hundreds of posts related to the high-speed issue....

(As an aside, the "fix kit" for the high-speed issue involves road-force wheel balancing, then suspension bushings, the change of a small spring inside of the steering rack, and a damper/weight being added to the steering wheel.)
  • Well, despite all the message board attention to the "steering shimmy" and my own hesitation, I bit the bullet and purchased a 2011 Premium 2.5 CVT Outback yesterday. Test drove and driving around town with no problems or shakes at 160 miles.

Lovin the car and hope it continues to be that way.

Thor
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Congrats, enjoy!
    Come back and tell us your experiences by 10,000 miles.

I'd be interested to know if you are still "lovin" it then.
  • otis123otis123 Posts: 426
    edited October 2010
    Any word on this issue? Looking at the 2011 H6 Outback as a possible purchase. My 2001 LLBean H6 Outback is reaching 10 years and 150K miles. Thanks in advance for any input!

Ralph
  • thor14thor14 Posts: 17
    There has been some talk of another TSB coming out in a few months that is supposed to be the "fix" for those Outbacks that have the shakes.

After months of hesitation and research, I test drove one, and it did not shake, so I bought it right then and there. Mine is a 2.5i and I love it. After 1000 miles it still does not vibrate or shake. Its a great car. No regrets.

Its been hard to get a real sense of the vibration problem. There are no accurate numbers out there, but it does seem to impact some Outbacks. I just figured if it test drove okay, I would go home with it, and thats what worked for me :) Good luck.
  • Just an update - A couple of weeks ago I ended up taking the car into the dealership and was told it was normal road feel. The tech even took a test drive with me and I had to admit it seemed to drive pretty smooth with him in the car. Maybe I was just overly sensitive since I saw the postings. I am up to a little over 2,000 miles now and the car is driving fine. I still think I feel a vibration when I am in the parking garage sometimes, but if that is the worse thing I have to deal with then I am fine. At highway speeds it is great. In normal driving it is great. I'll take it back in when I need my first oil change and ask them to test drive it again, but all in all I am pretty happy with the car.
    The "word" is that a significant percentage of new Outbacks have a "shake" at highway speeds that cannot be fixed. Since Subaru is being tight-lipped about the problem, no one really know what percentage of cars are affected but it is significant.

Not all the "shakers" are apparent during a test drive and some of the affected units do not manifest a shake until thousands of miles have been accumulated. Therefore, having no shake at one or more thousands of miles is not a guarantee that your car will not eventually be a dreaded "shaker."

Subaru does not have a definite "fix" for the problem should your car be affected. They have tried many, many different band-aids but none has worked consistently. Hence, buying a new Outback is a real crap shoot. You may get a good one, you may not.

If you do get a "shaker" there is no guarantee that if it is not fixable that Subaru will take it off your hands.

In short, the new Subaru Outback is the "Russian roulette" of cars!
  • saedavesaedave Chicago, ILPosts: 683
    If you do get a "shaker" there is no guarantee that if it is not fixable that Subaru will take it off your hands.

In short, the new Subaru Outback is the "Russian roulette" of cars!

Unless some organization like Consumers Union has a shaker and publicizes the problem. Such publicity could kill sales, If Subaru had that kind of pressure, the problem would certainly be fixed. Let's hope CU's 3.6 gets the shakes.
  • Hmmmm. 'priggly'-seems you have issues. Given the nature of the problem and ability for correcting it, the O.B. is still the best choice for the money. Go ahead and buy German, Swedish, or another inferior/overpriced Asian brand if you really think they have no issues and will leave your wallet alone for upkeep and resale- and most important- the occupants safer. Numbers don't lie when it comes to safety, reliability and cost. I've loved all 4 of my Subies and I just fell even more head over heels for my ;2010 O.B.-NOW AT 32,000 MILES AND NO SHAKE WHATSOEVER!!! Idiotic internet fearmongering is pathetic....
    Given the nature of the problem and ability for correcting it, the O.B. is still the best choice for the money.

Do tell us more about the "nature of the problem" and the "ability for correcting it." I would just love to know what the nature is and so would the many disillusioned new Outback owners on many internet boards, including this one, who have bought this defectively engineered car in good faith and have ended up with "shakers" that cannot be fixed despite your disinformation to the contrary.

It is true that Subaru has come out with many so-called "fixes" for the problem but it is also true that none of them work consistently. Don't try to inform us otherwise.

Yes, I have an issue. I don't like the thought of paying tens of thousands of hard-earned dollars for a potentially defective car that cannot be fixed. I also don't like being told the car has a "fixable" problem when that is not true consistently or reproducibly.

If you got one that does not shake (yet), consider yourself fortunate but please do not try to deny or minimize the far less satisfactory buying experiences of many others as detailed on the internet forums to which I made reference earlier. Just because your particular Outback does not shake hardly makes the car the "best choice for the money." It was the best choice for your money perhaps but it certainly would not be the best choice for the money of someone with the shake problem that could not be fixed and required either SOA buying back the car or replacing it.
  • Looking to purchase Outback (basic). Found out No A/c in back. Only in the front.
    Does it seem strange? Does anyone have problem in the summer keeping cool. I don't like to keep the air on on me at times, But my passingers like to keep cool. any complaints. Another problem is the tinting some basic models have tinting but the color we are thinking of doesn't. Sales person sugests be paid on our own for it. What. Why pay for something that somes standard on another car. Not really sold on suburu. Seems lacking.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Tinting (privacy glass) is only standard on Premium and above. If a base Outback has tinted windows, it is not factory.

Rear A/C in a passenger car sounds like overkill to me, but I hear tell there are some out there with the feature.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    My minivan has rear A/C (it actually has a 2nd evaporator, but not a 2nd compressor), but that's because it has 149 cubic feet of space to cool. Seems like overkill in a mid-size wagon with half the space.

Spring for a model with the all-weather package for the heated seats, as those have tint as well.
  • Apparently this is still a problem.. I took delivery of a 2011 Outback 3.6R in June, manufactured in late May. The car drove fine at first. A couple of weeks ago I took my first long trip of over 3 hours, the shimmy started at about 65mph through 75 mph... Brought it in for an oil change and they rebalanced tires when I mentioned the shimmy. Today I had the road force test done and am awaiting a call tomorrow on what the problem/resolution is. The car currently has 3700 miles on it and the shimmy seems intermittant..gets worse the longer you drive - I thought perhaps I had defective tires and the belts are separating.. which usually gets worse as the tires heat up and goes away when they are cold... We'll see what they say tomorrow. Too bad, I sold my 2003 LL Bean Outback...and it only had 70,000 miles on it.
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Your experience underscores the fact that the dreaded "shakes" may not show up for several thousand miles.