Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius (First Generation)

cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
edited March 2014 in Toyota
I just got back from a Toyota training class on
the Prius. This is an amazing vehicle with a
really unique ordering process. If anybody is
interested in this topic, post your questions here.

Comments

• wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    When is it going to be released?! I heard it's this summer, could you give a more exact date? I have been waiting like forever to see it in person, they have been selling them in Japan since 1997 for God's sake! They sure waited long enough.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    We will have a "TRAC" car in mid June. This is a car we can't sell but will be available for test drives. Interested customers can work with a dealership but once they strike a deal, they will log on to www.toyota.com to order it. Yes, the consumer orders their own cars! Toyota has us confirm that it is really a deal and we get the allocation based on that order.

The order bank goes into effect June 16th and the first cars for retail sale will be delivered between the last week of July to the first week of August. We will have none for stock for the first several months. All of them will go through this on line ordering system.
    If they are going to make the U.S prius's engine more powerful? I was reading motor trend or one of those, and they said Toyota is likely to make then engine little more powerful than the 101 hp engine sold in Japan.
    The horsepower of the gasoline engine is totally irrelevant. It has no real connection to the driveline. This is an electric car with an ECHO engine acting as a power source to charge the batteries and sometimes turn the generator at highway speeds. HP will be 80 on the gas engine.

BTW, torque on the electric motor is 225. Go figure that one!
    225 ft lbs of torque? That's more than midsize car like Camry/Accord/Taurus. What the?!
    I think the little sucker is going to haul.

I really wish there was more participation in this topic. This car is flat out amazing and Toyota has big plans for it. Somebody ask me about regenerative braking, free service, the warranty or how Toyota will handle warranty repairs.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I've heard that the Prius would be best suited for city driving and the Honda Insight for highway travel. Would this be true?
    The Prius is certainly very well suited to city driving. It actually gets better mileage in town than on the highway because at low speeds, the gas motor is rarely running. The same holds true for highway driving if your commute is in heavy stop and go traffic. The Prius is not the ideal car for a person looking for a car to drive across country in. It is for the commuter who want a very clean burning and fuel efficient car.

As to the Insight, the reason people may say it is a better highway car is because the gas motor is always running so economy is improved when not in stop and go situations.
  • dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    I saw the Prius at the NY Auto Show a while back & was very impressed. I'm not in the market for a sedan right now, but I hope someone will post driving impressions etc. to this forum once the car is more widely available.

While we're on the topic, I'd really like to see a hybrid truck or SUV. Electric motors develop excellent torque at low RPMs, just what trucks/SUVs need. I drive a pickup truck, so I'm interested. I'd definitely consider a hybrid pickup if one was available. Just a thought.
    Do both engines hook up to the drivetrain or does the gas engine ONLY run the generator?

At Toyota's web site, it seems that both engines hook up to the drivetrain. See http://www.toyota.com/afv/prius/intro_prius2.html and look at the engine info. It says the engines "...work in tandem, depending on the driving situation, to complement, augment, and even defer to one another."

Maybe the excellent MPG for city driving may be due to regenerative braking?
    dannyg:

I think you are right. I think all the braking in
    the city driving is the reason why it actually
    gets better milage in the city. The Prius in Japan gets 66 mpg in the city, and only 50 something on the highway. Pretty funny. But then, again, it sort of works out. Since compact cars are not as well suited for long highway trips (not as comfortable, roomy, and crash worthy, nor as stable in the wind due to low weight). So I guess better gas milage in stop and go driving city/commute driving is actually a plus. Oh, as for the hybrid SUV, Ford said they will market a variant of it's Escape compact SUV with hybrid technology in 2003, and get 40 mpg (on the highway?).

Cliffy1:

I heard at the end of the last year, since its
    introduction in as a 1997 model car, Toyota managed to sell 28,000 of these Prius cars in Japan (where to automarket is about 1/4th the size of the U.S). So it sure sell equally well in the much larger U.S market. Of course the gas isn't as expensive in the U.S as in Japan, but it's getting more expensive by the day.

Also it has the advantage that it actually is a
    true sedan (instead of the less utiliarian Insight
    as a 2 seater). So you can use it for the same
    things an Toyota Echo or Corolla is for -- small
    family needs.

Honda, late with it's Insight, rushed it directly to U.S without long term market experience, and then only comes with 3 year/36K miles power train warranty on it. Since Toyota Prius has been sold in Japan for 3 years, all the teething problem are ironed out by now. Still the 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty is good for peace of mind. Hmmm.... My family having owned multiple Toyota/Hondas, I know they are reliable. But I wouldn't be too complacent about fresh technology.

Also, increditably, Toyota is pricing all that
    goodies at a lower price than the Honda Insight.
    Confirm this for me, will you cliffy? The Prius
    comes only in one flavor -- fully loaded, A/C,
    Power everything. MSRP - $19,995.

:) I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.
    So when are you getting that demo in?
    This website is great for detailed information on Prius.

http://www.autosite.com/new/detmenus/2267.asp

Very impressive.

Cliffy: I have a question. The website has sited 2 different powertrain warraty:

http://www.autosite.com/new/datashts/techspec/2267.asp

here it said it will comes with WHOPPING 8 year/100,000 miles power train warranty. While another page listed the typical 5 year/60K warranty. So which one is it really?
    The regular powertrain is 5/60K and the battery pack (and I believe related components) are for 8/100K.
    Toyota will be coming out with a hybred SUV within the next couple of years. It will be a version of the new Highlander which is due out this winter in a gas buring form. This is a Toyota badged version of the lexus RX300.

On you question of what is connected to what else, I am still a little unclear. The way it was described to me, is that the gas motor is connected to the generator only. The generator can send the power to either battery charging or into the CVT transaxle. So, yes, the gas engine contributes to actually turning the tires but is not directly connected to the transaxle.

One of the big differences between this car and the insight is that the engine is not always running on the Prius. It kicks in only when needed. Because of this, it gets better mileage in town because you are less likely to need the gas motor in town. This is also why the Prius is rated as an SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) where the Insight is only a ULEV. ULEV vehicles have 75% more emissions than SULEV.
    Thanks for the responses. I'd love a hybrid Ford Escape...but I want it now, not in 2003!

I think I read somewhere that the price of Prius in Japan was subsidized to test the market. That is, to see if people would buy a hi-tech hybrid vehicle if it was reasonably priced. Is the U.S. Prius also subsidized by Toyota? If so, any idea how much $$ per vehicle?

By the way, subsidizing new technologies until they become accepted by the marketplace is fine by me! Once they sell them in volume, economies of scale will kick in and, don't worry, they'll make their $$$.

Cliffy1, I'm confused about the drivetrain too.
    I think what Toyota has done is develop a very sophisticated electronic monitoring system that lets the electric engine, the gas engine, or both, run the car depending on the driving conditions. The gas engine can act as a generator OR directly hook up to the drivetrain to accelerate the car. This is implied by the Toyota link I listed in my previous note. Also see http://www.autosite.com/new/datashts/stdfeats/2267.asp under "Engines & Emissions". It says the both or either engine can run the car.

This is a great system that lets the gas engine turn off entirely in stop-and-go traffic where the electric engine's excellent torque can be put to good use. But this doesn't mean the gas engine ONLY charges the batteries.

That's my understanding, anyway.
    dannyg:

I heard estimate that Toyota subsized the car up to 50%. That was a while back. I'm sure it's little cheaper now after building them for 3 years now. But I'm still speculating that Toyota is probably still chipping in maybe 20% for each Prius sold in the U.S.

Cliffy1: They are coming out with a Toyota RX300?! WHEN? And how much?! If they do, Toyota is going to make moocho $$$$ of that one. If people are willing to wait months for a Lexus RX300, imagine what it would be like to have a more affordable Toyota RX300? Man!
    Which you can't do in this forum. The gas engine is connected to a generator (which when reversed, acts as the starter). The generator is connected to both the batteries and the transaxle. The batteries are connected to the generator and the electric motor. The electric motor is connected to the transaxle and the batteries. All of this is governed by the monitoring system which decides which motor is turning in which direction.

I think we may be dealing in semantics as well. I am positive that the gas engine does not have a direct connection to the transaxle unless you count its route through the generator. Does this make sense?

Let me also try to explain what I know of this generator. What a generator does is convert energy. It can work in either direction but when power is applied from the engine, the energy can be sent to the wheels via the transaxle or to the batteries to charge them. To start the engine, power is run from the batteries, through the generator and back into the engine. It is about 5 times as large as a normal starter and I have heard that startups are instantaneous.
    The Highlander will be out this winter. It will be built in the Indiana plant and will be available in 2 and 4 wheel drive with either a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. Eventually, it will come with the hybrid system as well. Pricing will be low 20's to low 30's depending on configuration.

And yes, I think we will sell a ton of them. I can't wait.
  • jetson2jetson2 Member Posts: 5
    I have just joined the Town Hall so I could tell you that I have been waiting for this technology to come to market for more than 10 years (I first read about it in popular Science and thought it made alot of sense.)
    I too think there is more to gain from applying this to the SUVs to try and make them greener.
    I have not seen this car - how roomy is it? - I would not even think of the Honda as it is too small.
    Saftey is a hot button of mine - and Toyota has been doing better in crash tests recently - have you any idea how this will perform - is it based on an existing chassis?
    I think somewhere I read that it had side air bags- can you confirm?
    And Why if it gets 66mpg in Japan would they list only 50 or so?
    The Prius is a compact car, in the same class as the Civic/Corolla.

So it's good enough for 4 people, but not very comfy for 5. Looking at the spec, I noticed it's all the interior demension is about the same between Corolla and Prius, except the Prius has about 2 inches more leg room. So the Prius is little roomier.

http://www.autosite.com/new/detmenus/2267.asp

Check this site out. The weight of the Prius is listed as 2765 lbs. So it's 200-300 lbs heavier than Civic/Corolla (the battery pack probably weights 100+ lbs, regernative brakes and others probably makes up the rest). Heavier cars fairs better in a crash. Also crashworthiness usually improves with each generation, I think Prius should be at least as good as the mainstream civic/corolla if not better.

Since the Prius has a longer wheel base than the Corolla (100.4 inch vs 97 inch). Also, the track is 1 inch wider for the Prius. So it should be a more stable platform.

Of course, all this is just looking at the paper. I can't wait to test drive one in person.

Oh, as for the milage. I sort of remember that the Prius in Japan used a smaller 1.0-1.3L engine and the U.S gets a bigger 1.5L engine. That's probably why the gas milage is different between the 2.
    The Japanese version was tuned more for fuel economy while the US one needed more juice to satisfy American power requirements.

The government has not crash tested this car yet but I think it should do well. It is on its own platform but is similar in size to the Corolla and ECHO. The ECHO actually did as well in Toyota's in house testing as the Camry did. I don't have my product info handy right now but I don't think it comes with the side air bags. I could be wrong.
  • denniswadedenniswade Member Posts: 362
    I've driven a Prius, and the acceleration amazed me. It's no hotrod, but it won' disappoint you either.

The interior is really cool.....very art deco in a contemporary way. i especially like the chrome strips (REAL chrome!) on the controls -- very elegant and contemporary.

LOTS of space inside. It has what is now the in thing -- tall architecture for better head room, comfort, view of the road, etc.

It's supposed to reatil for around $20, which is a steal.

Think that's about it.......can't wait!!
    Where did you drive a Prius?! I haven't even seen one in person. Were you in Japan? How did you get so lucky?
    I have a business relationship with car companies that offer me certain perks. Believe me, it's the best part of the job!
    :)
    Guess what??!! Toyota is going to release the first run to TRAC (Toyota Rent-A-Car) agencies at Toyota dealerships so that customers will be able to test drive them for as long as they wish (or their wallet allows). Nice idea, and I think people will be amazed at how nice a car it really is. I'm partial to the dark green, myself.....

cliffy1: busted, eh?? :D
    I really like the TRAC car idea which is why I mentioned it in post #2, but thanks for restating it. :) We will have one but have method to charge for it so one hour to one day drives will be the norm.
  • buttercuppowerbuttercuppower Member Posts: 5
    Hello to all!!!
    First I'd like to thank cliffy1 for advising me that a Prius topic had been opened. I have plenty of questions about the Prius so I can further instruct my parents as to why I want to buy this car. My parents are very concerned about me buying this car, they continue claiming that "it will leave me stranded on the highway when the battery dies". They are worried that maintenance will cost me an arm and a leg. So, if anyone can answer these questions,I would appreciate it.
    1. How much does the battery cost and when will it need to be replaced?
    2. Will the maintenance fee for routine things such as brakes, etc, be higher than for other Toyota vehicles?
    3. Is the $500 college graduate discount applicable to the purchase of this vehicle?
    4. Is there a website where current Prius owners talk about their experience with the car in English? I came across one the other day, but it was all in Japanese.
    I know it's a lot of asking, but I'm a curious girl.. Thanks in advance.
    Dee :)
    .....Didn't see post #2 (just joined the topic) -- but as you say, can't hurt to repeat it!
    Don't know how much battery replacement cost would be, but it wouldn't be cheap. These aren't your normal car batterys, they are lithium metal hydride batterys, the kind that you put in your cellphones. So I would imagine it to be pretty expensive. But the good thing is, it seems like there is a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the battery power system. :)
    Weynue is right about the battery warranty which I think also covers the electric motor. Toyota has sold over 35,000 of these cars in Japan and the warranty claims are less (yes, less) than the claims on the Corollas.

The car is also coming with 3 years of free maintenance. They are doing this to relieve the exact fears your parents have. The deal is though, the electronics will require so little maintenance anyway, that it should cost no more to keep this car up as any other one on the road. The electric motor is brushless and theoretically, requires no upkeep.
    The official launch date for the Prius ordering web site has been delayed. There was a test run of this site last week and it demonstrated that this is not ready for prime time.

I have a customer that is ready to put her information in the minute she can. She really wants to be the first on the block with a Prius but it looks like she will have to wait another week or two. I'll post more info on this as soon as I have it.

On another note, has anybody seen color samples for this car. My distribution department claims there is nothing right now. Dennis?
    It looks like Toyota is looking to sell about 10,000 Prius cars per year in the U.S.:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/000616/t33141.html

I'd say they'll easily do that. Might even get that up to 20,000 per year eventually. Go Prius!
    Haven't seen any, but I haven't really been following it either. I have seen it personally in silver, black, a wonderful light seafoam green and a very rich-loooking dark green. Not sure what else it'll be offered in.......
  • bbunsbbuns Member Posts: 17
    Electric or has proven the power and durability with high torque. Thats why you see majority of heavy industries utilizing its power. Even in deisel train engines, they have electric motor to move massive trains... deisel engines are just to generate electric power.

My question is to you folks:

- If I am considering high mileage for a car, why shouldnt i go for a deisel cars. The advent of Turbo/injection deisel gives higher mileage and run for a longer life.

- Why should I buy an echo for a price of $20K?
    - Rechargable batteries are the biggest concern. They drain fast and expensive. Not to mention recycle. Do you guys think it will cost a lot of money to get the battery replaced & how often?

Just like you folks, I have been waiting for this car for almost a year but I just cannot justify this car to convince myself to buy it.

Prious is an expensive way to save money.

If polution is the case. Then my reasons are wrong.

regards.
  • scundallscundall Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to be the first on my block to get a Prius and Toyota is being kind of wishy washy about what I need to do. About a month ago, I went to a large Toyota dealer in San Jose, Ca and put down a deposit for a Prius. They are telling me they will take care of everything to get one of the first ones for me.

They had a Prius over at the dealer the other day and I went over there to test drive one, but found out I could only ride in it and let the Toyota Rep drive. Kinda lame. Its a nice little car. Unfortunately, it wasn't till we returned from the drive and I was grilling the guy about what the engine had been on since we had left, did he realize that since he had the A/C on, that the engine would never go off. Not really the best way to demo a Hybrid. Overall, the car was very nice and quiet to drive in and pretty roomy.

This guy was telling me of a VERY complicated procudure when I need to sign up on the web and then have a dealer authorize the purchase through them and then I would get on the national order list. Makes me a little worried since if the dealer is not on the ball, they could really screw this up.

I do understand from the Rep that the web site will not be available until 6/30 due to technical problems. If any one has any more info, please post it.

On another note, does anyone know how the Prius is doing getting approved in the state of California to drive in the HOV lanes under the AB71 law that goes in effect on 7/1. If this car will allow me to drive in the car pool lanes, it will save me an hour a day on the road!

Regards,
    Your dealer is correct about the allocation system and you are correct to be suspect of the tenacity of the dealer. If you get the feeling that they are not on the ball, you need to find a store that is. The big benefit of this system is that cars are allocated based only on customer orders and not turn rates and how cozy a dealer is with the big wigs at the distributor. The down side is that if the dealer has his head where his posterior should be, your order could be messed up.

My dealership was involved in a test run of the order system and we experienced several problems. This is why the launch was delayed. I was told that the goal was June 30, but that is not set in stone yet.

As to the AC, you discovered one of the quirks about this car. On very hot days, you may need to hit the "Max AC" button to keep the car cool. AC compressors turn on and off and create a big drain on the batteries. In the normal AC mode, you wont notice any problem except on VERY hot days in stop and go traffic. If you are moving a lot or if it is not quite so hot, the system can handle it without running the gas engine. I think you guys are experiencing a serious heat wave so that would explain why he had the Max button on.

As to the HOV question, I heard that CA and a few other states had special exclusions for SULEV cars. I don't think we have this in VA but the trainers did mention something about an exclusion in CA. If that is really the case, I think you will need to be in line very quickly.
    Diesels are very fuel-efficient, which is why the trucking industry resists going to an alternate technology. However, diesels pollute far more than gasoline engines, and are in fact are gradually being legislated out of existence in California. Municipal traucks, buses and cars are now obligated to use ULEV technology, whether it be electric, natural gas or hybrid, and it's only a matter of time before they ban diesel cars here altogether.

Concerning bbuns' comment about the Prius being nothing more than a $20k Echo, I disagree. I've driven both and there is no comparison. The Echo feels like a cheap, greasy little transportation appliance to me, whereas the Prius has a lovely interior with gobs of room, accelerates with the silence that only an electric engine can provide, and has more than adequate power. I think it's a great first effort for this type of vehicle, and the price is modest for the benefits involved.
  • bbunsbbuns Member Posts: 17
    dennis,
    I agree that diesel polute the environment. Especially those v12 trailers... Concidering a 90HP diesel motor will burn infact less than the amount of gas because of high milage. An average V6 cars gives 20 miles a gallon where as diesel 90HP (with high torque) will burn 1/4 amount of one gallon of diesel.

When I meant prius vs echo, I meant the gas engine and chasis. I had an oppurtunity to sit in Japanese version of prius in Detroit auto show 99 and american version of prius in Detroit auto show 00. Both have a nice interior.

Hybrid technology is emerging. Its a great concept. In my opinion, cars like that should be readily acceptable and cheap so we can buy it. For instance japanese cars were cheap and economical during oil crisis in 70s.
    $20k is cheap for the Prius, you should see what it costs Toyota to build 'em (ditto Honda's Insight and GM's EV-1). All three manufacturers are subsidizing the price of these cars so that people can start driving them and get used to the idea that 550 lb-ft of torque isn't always the best way to go.

And when it comes to value (in objective terms like fit and finish, noise vibration and harshness, maintenance and reliablity, resale value, etc.), Japanese cars still lead the industry, according to JD Powers, Consumer Reports and similar publications.
  • footpowerfootpower Member Posts: 1
    For those of you who've driven the Prius, how is the leg room? I've seen it has 40 something inches for the driver--just how bad is it for tall folks? I know it's a compact and all...
    Try it -- packaging and ecology is what this car's all about.
    On Friday, June 30, the Prius order site will be available to customers to order cars! It will open one day earlier for dealers to put in current orders so if you have an order, make sure your dealer is aware of this. The initial order is for 2700 cars. When all of those are sold, you will get a massage that Toyota is sold out and will have the option of being put on a waiting list.
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    hi cliffy, hope you can answer these. im just curious as to how the battery will perform in very cold climates (were up here in the great white north). plus considering there isnt that much gasoline engine heat to draw upon, how would the heater do in winter?

i also read somebodys complaint about the honda insight not having a means to plug/recharge the batteries directly. in the occasional times you do want to charge the batteries directly, can the prius plug directly to a wall socket?

also wouldnt hybrid vehicles using advanced/expensive technology have higher insurance?

last of all... since the gas-electric hybrid system is like an electric generator wouldnt it be nice if there is a means for us to tap into it during power failures or in camping trips?

thanks and sorry for the long post.
    Like the Insight, there is no way to plug the thing into a wall. I think there is a technical reason for this but I don't know what it is. Remember, you still have a 12 volt battery to crank the gas engine which can be jumped.

As to cold weather issues, I asked the trainers about this. they told me that the car had undergone testing in Anchorage Alaska just to find out how it did. They claimed it had very little degradation in performance. At this point, I would call that hearsay but knowing Toyota, I'm sure they gave this issue some thought.

One other thing I want to point out here. Toyota is so paranoid about this car's success, they are individually calling every person who orders one. They will ask you questions to make sure the dealership has not oversold the car. They want you to have realistic expectations of the car and don't want you buying it if they think you wont be completely satisfied. The last thing they want is for a guy who only drives highways to post on this board that it doesn't do what he/she wants because his salesman told him things that were not true. They even mentioned the Town Hall specificly when talking about this issue.
    specially if you just discharged your battery from going up the rockies or been driving really slow in some monstrous traffic jams.

im not sure where i read it (bombardier neighbor or th!nk city - both pure electric cars) that the charge cost for a year amounts to less than the engine oil change cost for a conventional car. so keeping the gas engine out as long as possible seems to be the way to go.

why im asking? cause im thinking this car would be perfect for business use involving delivery/courrier services (ie. low speed stop and go door to door newspaper delivery, pizzas city deliveries, valentine flowers). i hope toyota doesn't get horrified with THAT thought.

in the case of the insurance, while the warranty would probably cover most of the maint cost what im afraid of is what happens if you crash your car. wouldnt you end up with repair bills amounting to the real unsubsidized value of the car?.... or maybe not. i guess the insurance company would just declare your car totalled rather than fix it.

as to that camping power tap, i wish that toyota would give that some thought specially for their planned SUV hybrid. just think about it, put your car keys in the on position and tap into the batteries. as soon as the batteries start to discharge the gas engine fires up and recharges it then sits back quietly again til needed.

i've read engine modifications to double as power plants but this system looks more sensible.
    its a long weekend here in canada (its canada day)and ive got a long drive to Ohio to visit my parents. i enjoyed talking to you 'real time'. hope we get to talk again next week.

(i just read the last part of your post... name TOWN HALL specifically?! yeowww... were famous! thanks EDMUNDS!)
    Have a great weekend. Other than the batteries, I don't think repair costs will be any more than anything else in its size class. The insurance companies might even assume your are a more cautious driver by your choice of vehicle and give you a break (wishfull thinking I know).

I am really intrigued by your suggestion of an out plug. The next time I talk to a Toyota big wig, I may suggest that one.

Believe it or not, I think Toyota would be quite happy to have some in the delivery service. That is the ideal driving conditions for this car. You certainly have given this some thought.

The one thing I am trying to remember from the training is what they said about fully discharging the batteries. I don't think it is possible to do without leaving it sitting for long period of time. There is a specific procedure to recharge them and you can't do it at home. I forget what the problem is, but something technical prevents you from being able to do it simply.

On the plus side, as long as you have even a small amount of juice left, you are fine. The 12 volt batter starts the gas engine and from there, you recharge the main batteries.

There is also a shut down procedure. If you are not going to be driving the car for 3 weeks or more, there is a way to disconnect the batteries to make sure they don't drain down. Until I actually have one in front of me with the owners manual, I can't tell you exactly how to do this but I know you can.

Batteries are funny things. I don't claim to be an expert on them but I do my best.

And yes, the Town Hall is making waves. Toyota is learning the power of this site.
  • greggmacgreggmac Member Posts: 3
    Hi..

You might want to check out what appears to be
    the official prius website... there's lots of
    very interesting information there.. I didn't
    see a link on the toyota.com site for it, but
    maybe I missed it.. it's at
    http://prius.toyota.com

And as far as cold weather testing goes, I remember reading somewear about it being extensively tested up in Timmins, Ontario..
    it gets plenty cold here even in Ottawa, ON, and
    Timmins being farther north is worse.. so if it
    can manage Timmins, it ought to be just fine
    in the winter..

ttyl,
    Gregg
  • jetson2jetson2 Member Posts: 5
    The voltage on the hybrid battery system is 274V
    and the generator is set to provide output to charge at this voltage. you would not like a power tap into this. I like the idea though
This discussion has been closed.