Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius (First Generation)

Comments

• canccanc Posts: 715
    I've just recently subscribed to this forum, since I think hybrids are the way to go for the future, at least for a short term solution.

Anyway, about the article from post 846, I got the impression that Honda had to build two cars to get to the Prius in terms of practicality and design. I'd have a hard time buying the Insight (very small, impractical, and manual tranny), but the Prius is the closest thing to an actual gasoline-powered car.
  • robvig12000robvig12000 Posts: 16
    I test drove both the Toyota Prius and the Honda Civic Hybrid. I came away more favorably impressed by the Civic Hybrid. Longer wheel base, more leg room, better finish inside, more equipment standard than the Prius, and compatible in terms of ride and handling. In fact, I felt better with the Civic. Both are good cars; but, I'm leaning toward the Civic Hybrid.

Anyone else test drive both these cars and have impressions? I'd especially like to hear from people who test drove both and bought the Prius. Thanks.

Rob
    La Grange, TX
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    There are several people who have driven both on the yahoo honda hybrid list (sorry Edmunds) check it out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/honda-hybrid/ heck one gal (Linda) owns both !

Rob
    Houston, Tx
  • robvig12000robvig12000 Posts: 16
    The Jetta TDI may be a better deal; but, if others are like myself, they are thinking of buying a hybrid because it is a hybrid (think GREEN). Cost of the car is a secondary issue.

Of course, Honda and Toyota must be loving that attitude.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    You can't buy a TDI in California.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...TDIs are now available in Calif, and pretty widely for a change. Not every dealer has them sitting on the lot, but they are not hard to find and it doesn't take much effort to get a dealer to order or trade for one.

The reduction in sulfur in Calif diesel has allowed VW to [temporarily] meet the CA emissions stds. It will take another leap of technology to make it work after the next change in the law, but that appears possible also if sulfur content gets reduced to the mandated federal level of 15 ppm or less [due in '07].
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I was looking at them 2 years ago, when they weren't available. Good to know they are here now, especially since there are a number of gas stations close to me that carry diesel for all of the trucks that are up here.
  • dsgechodsgecho Posts: 89
    1. For a previous poster, if a loaded echo is worth $15K then a prius is worth $20-21 K. One car is most assredly NOT the other. I fyou had really tried both you might know that.
    2. I tried and tried to get myself into a TDI and almost did. Couldn't resolve VW service reputation and third world build sites. Otherwise the cars ARE great but still are about the same price as the Prius when you get them loaded with 4 doors.
    3. Low sulfur diesel would help diesel technology to come to the US; it will be in 2007 courtesy of restrictions lobbied for the the petroeum industry here. Surprise, surprise!
    "Prius Owners Do It with Ni-MH"
    "Prius Owners Just Do It Battery" (groan)
    "My Car Keeps Up with Current Events"
    "I Get a Jolt Driving this Car"
  • dtauberdtauber Posts: 5
    I am writing on behalf of my friend who owns a Prius and was wondering about aftermarket cruise control. He didn't get it on his 2000 and regrets it. I think the dealership wants 600-800 to retro fit it. Any tips or help appreciated!
    Dan-o
    Coastal Tech has a cruise control kit http://www.coastaletech.com/ hope this helps.
    News Briefs [5/29/02] Two rallying amateurs will enter the motorsports record books in June as the crew of the world's first gas/electric hybrid rally car. http://www.motortrend.com/
    Prius tops in JD Power's survey for Quality for the small-car segment http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/pressrelease.asp?ID=2002040
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • i am leaning toward a hybrid vehicle as a daily commuter. i heard that one can drive singly on a high-occupancy-lane. is this true or just a salesman's trick? i couldn't find any confirmation on this issue. i live in dc metro area and the commuting is long.
  • rbw98465rbw98465 Posts: 1
    Edmunds reviewer says, under Cons, that the Prius has: "Funky styling, weak performance compared to gas-engine cars, technology doesn't come cheap."
    A) Styling NOT a con - I am constantly getting praise for a cool looking economy car.
    B) The reviewer has not driven on if he calls it weak performance. Its not head snapping, but torque and acceleration are more than adequate for all driving if you know how to drive it and are not afraid to rev it up.
    C) The price delivers value in more ways than I can count. The Prius is comfortable to drive, can seat 5-300 pounders in comfort, and most importantly has a continuously variable transmission which is quiet and silky smooth. The CVT makes the car quiet and does away with all the jerks and grinds of an automatic low hp engine.
    I am sure something better will come, but there is NO reason to delay choosing a Prius if you want a comfortable, capable, economy, SULEV car with cool styling - and it is less than 1/2 the price of a gas guzzling "cool" car such as a higher performance level.
  • Here are my test drive impressions of the Honda Civic Hybrid 5-speed, but first a little background.

Last month my girlfriend and I researched and test drove the Prius and the Honda Civic Hybrid (both with automatic transmissions). We bought the Prius primarily because it has much better acceleration (off the line, and at speed) and better exterior colors than the Civic Hybrid. After driving the Prius for a month, we both love it. If I had to change anything on the car it would be the brakes. They are pretty weak and grabby. You have to brake differently than with a normal car.

But now back to the 5-speed manual Civic Hybrid test drive.

The 5-speed version of the Civic Hybrid is only a little bit faster and peppier than the automatic version, but is still underpowered. If Toyota can make a peppy hybrid sedan, Honda should be able to also-- but Honda has fallen short of the mark with both versions of their current Civic Hybrid.

The colors are still plain-vanilla boring and awful. We got our Prius in a nice navy blue.

But get this! In the Civic Hybrid, there is an opening in each of the front wheel wells of the into the engine compartment! I didn't notice this on the automatic version, but maybe I missed it. The opening is about the size of a dinner plate and I was shocked. Having lived through 5 Colorado winters, and many more in the Northeast, I can't imagine all the saltly slush and icy crud that usually gets caked into the wheel wells now getting sprayed into the engine compartment! Are they out of their minds?

The Honda salesman said that the holes were for ventilation to cool the engine, but I think he was feeding me a line. If the Prius doesn't need dinner plate-sized holes in the wheel wells for "ventilation" why does the Civic Hybrid?

The ONLY things that the Civic Hybrid beats the Prius in is better brakes, and the convenience of standard Civic parts.
  • dgallondgallon Posts: 4
    I'm trying to decide between getting a Prius or a Civid Hybrid. Can anyone share their feelings on the two? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each? What could be improved upon? Thanks!
  • hello:
    i didn't get a chance to read all the posts here ... hopefully i am not rehatching old discussion. i want to know if anyone has any experience with haggling down the price. my dealer won't deal at all. thanks
  • cwaggamacwaggama Posts: 6
    Hi,
    I am a new owner of a Hybrid Civic and have not driven a Prius. I bought the Civic because I wanted a 5 speed, otherwise I would have seriously considered the Prius. I like the looks of the Prius (sort of Echo like) but some don't. The Civic looks like a Civic- does that appeal to you or not? The Prius comes in more colors. The Prius seems to rely on electric power a little more than the Civic (others can correct me here). For example it uses only battery power in very low speed maneuvers, whereas the Civic does not. The standard Civic does better overall in crash testing than the Prius. That made a difference to me. The Prius has slightly more room, I think. I would call acceleration a toss-up with many disagreements among owners of each. I really think you need to drive both- I suspect they both take some time to get used to. Gas mileage between automatics appears to favor the Prius, though there is debate here and I am very satisfied with mileage with my 5 speed Hybrid Civic. I think both are good cars and they are both from good companies and cost about the same. I would guess that after you test drive both, your personal choice will be easy to make. Hope that helps.
    Craig W.
  • lamphamlampham Posts: 1
    Hello to all Prius people,
    I am new at this website and I am considering to buy a Prius. There are some questions I would like to ask the Prius people or anybody can help out : 1) I understand the Prius is targeted toward CITY DRIVING, best fit for STOP and GO. However, cruise control is now available for the 2002 cars.That means we CAN set cruise control on the freeway(let's say 65mph to 70mph), but for how long? 3 to 4 hours straight or 2 to 3 hours in order to keep the batteries "alive"? What is the safest time period for cruise control?
    2) I will mostly drive in the city, but occasionnally, can I make a one way trip 100 miles with my Prius?
    I appreciate any responses and thanks for your help.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...all day or all night or all week - doesn't make any difference. Drive 10 miles or 1000 miles - doesn't make any difference. Remember the batteries are being constantly charged as long as the engine is running. About the only way to run them down is to climb steeply for many, many miles, at which time the battery assist will gradually decrease until the load goes away and they can be recharged during normal load conditions. But you can't "hurt" them in any way - the worst that happens is that you lose the extra kick that the batteries provide until they get back to a full charge. Remember it is primarily a GASOLINE engined car that has an electric "afterburner", if that analogy means anything to you.

What you've got here [and same for the Civic] is a car with a very small, very frugal gasoline engine, that by itself, isn't capable of providing much performance...but combined with the electric motor when you demand it, you get something approaching "normal" acceleration [0-60 in 12-13 seconds or so], but with supernormal fuel consumption. But these cars were not designed to be babied - buy it to do everything else you want to do with a car this size. Lots of people take them on cross-country trips.
  • eandlcubedeandlcubed Posts: 78
    hello all:
    just got my prius last night... it was silver and had 20 miles on the odo. i have enjoyed the car so far. however i do need a few questions answered by you experienced users.. do the switches around the window light up at night? same goes for the dimmer and mirror switches? with respect to speed, i have to struggle to keep it above 70mph, anyone else has the same concern? let me say that the car i traded in was a 2000 merc e-wagon. i need the prius to drive on the high-occupancy-lane. :-)
  • mellismellis Posts: 150
    Can anyone give me their experience purchasing an '02 Prius since they have gone off special order and can now be found on the lot? How much off MSRP are people getting. Anyone lease?

Also, how much for the 6 disk CD changer. Dealership had no clue.

Cliffy1?

Mark
  • hello mark:
    i got my prius this june 30 (of course it was the last day of the month and quarter too). they gave me 500.00 off msrp. mine didn't come with a 6-cd just a single cd. he did quote me a price on a 6-cd but i couldn't recall. hope this help...
    i do have question for others... does anyone know what all the blanks below the mirror adjustment and light dimmer use for. thanks
  • amyjokimamyjokim Posts: 1
    After months of research, I finally brought an '02 Prius a week ago, and so far I'm THRILLED with this car. Drives great, looks cute, and I got an average of 40 MPG with the FIRST TANK OF GAS. I expect this to get better over time.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase the extended warrenty that my dealer is offering (or should I say pushing). It covers parts going bad for 7 years, rather than the standard 3. It's about $1400.

Any opinions about this? Have you other Prius owners purchased this warrenty?
This discussion has been closed.