Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius (First Generation)

Comments

• I have read many user reviews and and driving tests and am impressed by what I have read so far.
    I am possibly moving with my girlfriend and my commute to work would be about 80 miles each way.
    How does this car handle at 75mph, if it will go that fast and how is it in snow, 0 degree days, etc.

Thanks to all that reply.
  • denniswadedenniswade Posts: 362
    wonderful. My friend has one, and I've ridden with him to work several times. The car is uncannily quiet, handles decent, gets 52 mpg for him, and should be a breeze in the snow.
  • Hi Prius People! As to inquiry about how the Prius handles winter conditions, I have some information for you. I live in New England; Connecticut to be exact. We have had one heck of a winter and without hesitation, I can endorse this car as capable of handling the most wild of weather phenomena. When the going got tough, this car got tougher. True to form, it is front wheel drive and can handle most snowy weather conditions. Icy conditions, on the other hand, is best left to Mother Nature. The power is there to move through snow with ease. On several occasions this past winter, I was able to drive through 20 or more inches of snow without slipping once. This surprised me. Like yourself, I was very anxious about this car's ability to handle uncertain road conditions. Now I am not. As for driving 75 mph, this car can easily do that as well. P.S. I am happy to report that I am getting about 45 miles/gallon. You see, as the air warms this car gets increasingly better mileage. If you're in a cold climate you can expect a sharp decrease in mileage. I averaged about 35-38 miles/gallon over this winter. Still, that isn't bad. That's better than most conventional cars, and I was happy with that. I think, however, since you are going such a great distance to and from work, the engine will be quite warmed, thus allowing for better mileage. I hope I was of some help to you. Take care! KEEP IT GREEN! :)
  • I live in the country but work in the city. I drive just under 100 miles round trip, 5 days a week. Is anyone out there putting those kind of miles on a Prius? If so how is it holding up?
    And are you satisfied with it?

Right now I am driving a 94 Camry with 244000+ miles on it. I was thinking my next move may be toward a Prius.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I saw someone make a statement that they thought GPS might be available for 2002.

Does anyone know if this is a fact for 2002 US models?
    That would make it the lowest priced car in America with a GPS Navigation system.
    Someone posted a question months ago asking how effective the air conditioner was. I didn't see anyone reply. Can it keep you cool in very hot summer tmperatures?

The other concern is resale. I don't think may people would want to be the second owner of the Prius when the battery replacement was nearing. That may hurt resale value. (unless gas is $3 per gallon at the time)
    Has anyone priced extended warranties on the Prius? It may help you sell the vehicle even if you never needed to use it yourself.
    Anyone lease one? What type of lease deals are available?
  • sfchewsfchew Posts: 8
    Does anyone know how long the batteries are suppose to last and how much they will cost to replace? I think this will be one of the major cost of ownership in this kind of car.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The factory batteries have a warranty of 8 years or 100K miles and this warranty is NOT prorated. This is a good thing because at current levels, the whole battery pack costs $4000. This price will come down as more are built.
  • To get the best mileage out of your Prius, you must inflate the tires to the proper pressure. Underinflation increases rolling resistance and decreases mileage.

Our Prius was delivered with underinflated tires at 30 PSI in each tire. The proper pressure is 35 PSI in the front tires and 33 PSI in the back tires.

Even with the underinflation, we were able to get 51 mpg on one tank of gasoline. Not bad.
  • georgeh131georgeh131 Posts: 3
    Any ideas on the best solution for a bicycle rack on a Prius?
    We've been driving ours for the past week and love it. But the dealer has no recommendation, and prius.com responded "install per manufacturer's recommendation" -- lots of help there!
    Ideally, I'd like to install a hitch receiver, but I know Toyota frowns on anything that resembles towing.

Thanks,

George
  • guzguz Posts: 7
    I am new to this board, but not new to Edmunds Town Hall. I am considering the Prius for my daughter. The car sounds great, but I am concerned with the HOT Florida weather. It's my understanding that if the AC is on, the best the Prius will do is 39 MPG. Does anyone have experience with the Prius in Florida or other hot climates?
  • snagy1snagy1 Posts: 55
    recently rented a prius (second time in 6 months), in winter driving, handled snow well here in snow belt county. ave 45 mpg with heater to keep warm.. rented last week and ave with city only driving 58 mpg, and some airconditioning. will buy a 2002 if I can figure out how to do fold down rear seats.
  • gadgetdocgadgetdoc Posts: 1
    I am strongly considering the Prius but I am somewhat concerned about the recent crash test results posted by the national highway transportation safety association giving only three stars for the driver. I was hoping for at least four stars. Does anyone have any comments regarding this?
  • Consumer Reports rates the VW Passat very highly for safety. The NHTSB gives the Passat great marks for a compact car.

However, if you look at the Prius crash test results and the Passat crash results, it is clear what makes the difference. The Passat is equipped and tested with side air bags and side head air bags--the Prius is not.

If you look at the forces exerted on the femur, the Passat fares much worse than the Prius does. In the Passat, one of the passenger's femurs takes over 1,000 pounds of force in the impact!

I would venture to guess that if the Prius were equipped with these additional two sets of air bags, its score would surpass that of the Passat. (The driver's head stresses pull down the score for the Prius.)

Side air bags will be available on the 2002 Prius. There is no word about side head air bags. We can only hope that Toyota wises up and makes these additional bags available sooner.
    Passat is much larger than a Prius. Isn't it a mid-size?
    Do you mean Jetta?
  • riz4riz4 Posts: 2
    Hi! I'm new to this town hall and have been enjoying the posted messages. I am considering purchasing a hybrid vehicle but have my sights set on a 2003 Ford Escape. I currently drive a pickup and enjoy the extra space for many of the things I haul. Does anyone have any information on the Escape hybrid? My current lease is up at the end of this month and I can't decide if I should lease a Prius until the Escape is available. I understand that the 2002 Prius will have cruise and side air bags, but what about a fold down rear seat? That would be very helpful. Also, I've been told that there is only one lease program for Prius and it is for 4 yrs. Is this correct?
  • riz4riz4 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the web site--I've checked it out previously and was hoping for more info.
  • reticent1reticent1 Posts: 70
    Word has it that there is a hybrid minivan on the drawing board for Toyota for 2003-2004. Looks like a cross between the old Previa and the new Sienna. Somewhat shorter, but it's hard to tell from the artist's renditions.

-Ret
  • reticent1reticent1 Posts: 70
    Since gas has hit 2 bones a gallon these days, Prius orders on the internet have increased 60% on the west coast. The bulk of the increased ratio orders are in California.

-Ret
This discussion has been closed.