Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius (First Generation)

Comments

• reticent1reticent1 Posts: 70
    2002 MSRP price remains the same as the 2001, for now. Price for the Japan and PPO additions are as follows:

Japanese extras:
    Cruise = $250.
    Nav/GPS = $1900
    Side impact airbags = $250
    Daytime running lights = $40

PPO (post-production options)
    single CD player = $335.00
    6-disc in dash player = $589
    carpeted floor mats = $89
    wheel locks = $55
    glass-breakage sensor = $147

That's it with the updates for now. Orders are still June 1, 10am EST as we're told.

-Ret
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at catheins@yahoo.com. As always, you can contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Don't count on it - my guess is that Toyota considers this kind of mini-mini-van too small for mainstream US customers. Don't hold your breath waiting for American introduction...
  • pweeks1pweeks1 Posts: 3
    We ordered a Prius here in Colorado Springs, CO March 26. At that time we were told we could anticipate delivery in late July or August. Unable to stand the unknown much longer I called the dealer today and asked if they could find the status on our order.

I was told that Toyota had stopped 2001 orders and that we would get a 2002 model. Can this be right? It sounds to me like the dealer simply didn't place the order even though we left a deposit and filled all the paper work out in March.

Now they say they don't know when the order will be filled, but that we are at the "head of the list" for 2002. Is this just a bunch of bull?

Will we be charged differently for the 2002 model than we agreed to for the 2001? $20,450.

They seemed like a bunch of chuckle heads, but I thought they could at least place the order even though they seemed to know NOTHING about the car.

Thanks for any info.

Paul
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    If they placed the order in March, you will get a 2001. We took over 15
    orders in May on 2001 cars and most will arrive in August. It is true that
    the 2002 did not increase in price, so if they just placed the order, you
    will get it in October but the price will not be any higher.

Unfortunately, it is very hard to get information from Toyota about the
    status of your order. You will get an e-mail from Toyota about 3 weeks
    before the car arrives. The dealer gets a phone call about a week before it
    arrives. This is the only contact we have with Toyota after the initial
    order is confirmed.

I also have one other suggestion if your dealership is giving you the run
    around. If you e-mail me your confirmation number, I can at least look it
    up to see if and when the order was placed. I can't involve myself in your
    deal, but I would be glad to look up the status. My e-mail address is
    sclifford@kjtoyota.com
  • He is the 2nd person out of the Colorado region I have read about who is concerned about a missing order. There is another one on the Prius Group list that yahoo does. I wonder if it's a communications problem with the dealership or if it is a regional issue? It's just so coincidental to see it twice in one short block of time, isn't it? Same issue, too - right down to the month ordered and the same city -- but different people.

Coinkydink?
    I discovered that I can't search the orders from other dealerships. I had not had opportunity to try this until pweeks contacted me. I directed him to contact the regional distribution center which he did and seems to be on the right track. His dealership dropped the ball on ordering back in March but the regional people are trying to fast track his order now.
  • Man, that is so nice of you. Bless you.
  • newpriusnewprius Posts: 1
    I just got my prius 2 weeks ago and are very happy with it. I drive about 45 miles/day to work with some stop and go traffic and some highways. I just have 2 queestions about the mileage:
    1. My consumption screen said I am getting 48mpg but when I actually filled up my tank and calculated my mpg, it's only about 38mpg. Why is there such a big difference?
    2. Is there any special tips on improving my mpg.
    Any kind of info would be greatly appreciated!
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Not sure about CA, but VW will not allow any dealers to sell TDIs in NY and has also allegedly threatened dealers in neighboring states not to sell to NY residents either on penalty of losing their franchise. TDIs, as best as I can determine, will not meet CA or NY emissions standards, no matter what certification is on the window sticker. New TDIs cannot be registered in NY, period. They can be registered in NY as used cars, with at least 7,500 miles on them, providing they were initially registered in another state. CA may be the same. Part of the problem is that there is a national fleet fuel emissions standard that all car manufacturers must meet. Too many TDIs will lower VWs average, maybe below the minimum standard. Yes, TDIs get great mpg, but the higher required maintenance like more frequent and expensive timing belt changes, the need for synthetic oil, and the expensive 20,000 mile fuel system servicing require you to own one for about 100,000 miles to break even with a gas model. Do you want to?
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Are available in California on a limited basis.
  • redly_oneredly_one Posts: 122
    I am having loss of power steering problems. Anyone else experiencing this problem. If so, what's the cause?
    How long have you had yours? The initial batch coming into the country did have a problem with the power steering but those should have been corrected months ago. The last time this came up was back in December. Was yours one of the first batch into the country or a recent arrival?
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    The Prius is the best hybrid you can buy today, but it is nerdy and geeky.
    Until they make a hybrid that is sexy or at least attractively styled, they will not be big sellers.
    Maybe in the next 5 to 10 years, there will be a mainstream hybrid in the U.S..
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    Everything form the odd name, to the Echo-ish/Focus-ish weird styling, the dash, all the gadgets, the display panel showing you graphics of the engine functioning is all very geeky.
    The car is not stylish or "cool" at all. Some of the styling is dated because of how long ago the car was originally designed (even though it has only been on the street in the US for a couple years).
    It is for people who are heavily into gadgets or are trying to make a statement about saving the environment.
    I guess its all in the eye of the beholder. Your statements smacks of arrogance in your pronouncement that the Prius is not stylish. Perhaps it isn't to you, but believe it or not, it is to many people. That has actually been a selling point for my customers.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    As a proud, dues-paying nerd-geek, I would not be ashamed to be seen in a Prius. Guess I'm not worried about being stylish or cool. In fact, can't ever remember being cool...but I did retire comfortably at age 46 on the strength of being nerdy and geeky. Guess it all evens out...
  • bob354bob354 Posts: 11
    for following up on my order. Turns out he is with my local dealer and he was very kind to get me the scoop and put my mind at ease. Many thanks.
  • bob354bob354 Posts: 11
    Now that I've found a forum where I can find out all about this car, everyone has gone away... Hope it wasn't something I said! :-)
    Bob,

You didn't kill it. It seems Edmunds had some hiccup yesterday and many posts were deleted in the process. I think they are working on it.
This discussion has been closed.