Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius (First Generation)

Comments

• cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The Prius is going off the on-line ordering process. All current orders will be filled, but after that, they will be allocated in the same manner as all our other cars.

I personally and not happy about this. The order system is slow, but it avoids a lot of the shady dealer practices. I'll be interested to see how things go from here. If demand stays high, it may become common to find the Prius marked up over sticker, but at least you'll be able to get it faster than 4 months.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    What is real world mpg experience? CR says 41 overall, which is a lot lower than EPA. Thanks.
  • carleton1carleton1 Posts: 560
    We have NEVER had a vehicle that did not exceed the EPA estimates.
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    EVrental.com has some (very) used Priuses (sp?) for sale if you don't want to wait for a new one http://www.evrental.com/ResaleVehicles.html oh & I trust CR MPG ratings about as far as I can spit ...
  • I see others have had tire problems with Prius. I love the car. Bought 2001 last March. Since then I've replaced three tires! Two were punctures from road junk. One was when I side-swiped a metal drain which then created a huge gouge in the aluminum wheel, which then punctured the tire. The wheel had to be replaced too! Yikes. Anyway, the tire shop said Prius tires are small. Not a very wide expanse between the road and the wheel. And the aluminum wheels are softer. Nonetheless, this just doesn't seem right. Our other car certainly drives the same roads and hasn't had a single flat in recent years. I'm going to read my paperwork over again and talk to dealer. Even with this problem, I am thrilled with driving a clean(er) vehicle and wouldn't give it up. Please share any insights or suggestions. Thx.
  • I live in Greensboro, NC. Does anyone know if there is a car rental company in this area that rents Prius's. I'm not ready to commit to one unless I can test drive one first.

Thanks.
    Any dealership should have a Prius available for a test drive. Many will even fill out a rental form and let you take it over night. If not, wait about a month because the Prius is becoming a regular stock unit. They will be allocated just like any other car in our inventory. At that point, the "rental" cars will be sold.
  • Consumer Reports (CR) reported that they got 41 mpg on their test Prius. We have had our Prius almost a year and have put over 17,000 miles on it. Lifetime mileage has averaged 47 mpg, and we once got 53 mpg. We drive normally and don't try to go lightly on the gas pedal. I've read several owners reports on the web that showed similar mileage figures. As far as I'm concerned, the CR data is suspect.
  • I'm now the proud owner of a Toyota Prius.

I'd like to thank the participants on this forum, especially cliffy1, for helping me make this decision.

One odd thing about the purchase: I placed my order in mid-December. I was told it would be four to five months. That is a little longer than I was anticipating, but it was satisfactory for two reasons. First, I expect it will be the car my daughter uses to get to school, and she does not yet have her license. She should be getting it in a couple months, so the timing fit.
    Second, I anticipate a bonus in March. I planned to us that money, and did not plan to finance.

On the 3rd of January I got an email from Toyota telling me that my order was placed. I was a bit surprised that this email arrived almost three weeks after placing the order. I wasn't sure whether it meant that the order went in slower than I expected, or whether there was a delay in sending out the confirmation.

The next Monday I got a call from the dealer telling me the car was on their lot.

Needless to say, I was surprised.
    And I suppose it was good news that it was in early, but I had to scramble to figure out how to pay for it.

It's still early, but I really like this car. I confess it drives more like a small car than I remembered in my test drive, but that would only be a problem if I were planning to use it for long highway trips. I don't.
    The computer registered 48 MPG on my first full tank, but the actual mileage was 46. I plan to monitor it to get a better sense of the bias between the computer numbers and the real numbers. I anticipate that the mileage will get a little better, the early indications on the second tank seem to bear that out. My goal is to break 50 mpg for a tank.
  • Ever own a notebook computer? The Ni-MiHd batteries in this car are not going to last forever. In fact, the charge capacity of even the best batteries is going to be greatly dimished after just one year. If it cost $150 to replace the tiny battery in a notebook computer, what is it going to cost to replace the batteries in a Toyota Pirus (or any other electric/hybrid vehicle). The experts at Consumer Reports totally ignored this important fact (probably didn't even think of it!). So did Edmunds. I'm sure a lot of consumers are going to be in for a big shock when it comes time to replace the batteries. Considering that a Honda CRX-HF, Geo Metro gets comparable or better milage, I don't think 48MPG is anything to write home about and certainly not going to be worth the expence of battery replacement. Even my old 88 Accord averages 40 mpg. My HUGE Dodge Intriped does better than 30 on the hiway. When they make hybrid cars that get 70 mph and are large enough for long trips, they might be worth considering. This may be a decent effort, but it's no competition for conventional gas cars.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Use the "Helpful Links" box on the left sidebar of this page to find Edmunds.com's just published "Spin Around Town" with the 2002 Prius.

What do you think of editor Neil Dunlop's review?

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Good comments on battery replacement costs. That is why I suggested to the Toyota rep at Annual Auto Show that Toyota should offer an ECHO LE model where the ECHO interior would be of similar quality to that of the Prius.
    The Honda Insight is too small to be a serious competitor to the Prius. Same with Honda CRX-HF and the Metro.
    CR often ignores important details in auto testing. Amusing to me that the small Passat with very poor rear visibility can be their #1 rated family sedan.
    The battery pack, if replaced in total at today's prices would cost about $8000. Fortunately, they are modular so the chance of having to replace all of them at the same time is small. There are 32 individual batteries back there. Also, those batteries are warranted for 8 years or 100K miles, whichever comes first.
  • djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    I really like idea behind the Prius but the mileage and price premium isn't that compelling. If I were to get a Toyota Echo which is $6,000 cheaper it would take me a LONG time to recoup since the mileage between both vehicles is negligible.
  • The "Spin around town" review of the Prius complains about the cassette stereo being a bit behind the times. I think it's really more a matter of wanting to make money on options rather than being low-tech. After all, the radio system is one of the few factory units that uses the RDS system.

It's now possible to keep the high tech radio RDS system, and add CD/MP3 capability too.
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    Here is a web site http://hybridautoclub.no-ip.com that has tips n tricks for you Prius owners and thanks !
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Posts: 134
    I wish GM, or Ford, or Chrysler, or Nissan, or VW could do that.....
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,674
    We're looking for any woman who has recently bought or driven a hybrid car.

If you fit this description and care to share your input on the subject, please contact Kristen Gerencher at kgerencher@marketwatch.com or Jeannine Fallon at jfallon@edmunds.com by noon EST Tuesday, March 19.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• This is in answer to tax questions that appeared here. I don't know if there were any substantive replies, so I'll just say this. I am not a tax consultant. But if you want some interesting reading, see publication 535 from the IRS. Specifically, page 46 - "How to Claim the Deductions", and go to your tax attorney for professional advice.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,674
    Don't forget tonight's Town Hall Chat, 5-7 pm PT/8-10 pm ET. Tonight's topic -- Why my next car will/won't be a hybrid.

Hope you can make it!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

This discussion has been closed.