Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• sysadbsysadb Posts: 83
    Hello John. I came to the same conclusion as you 6 years ago and never regretted it. I bought my Q45 in '94 when it was a year old, and the car has been a good experience. I have a buyer picking it up tomorrow or Friday, and I will strongly be considering another Q.
    The best deals will be on the '97 models because of the number of them available off-lease. 98 and 99 models are more scarce. A 99 car for $32k is realistic when you find one, but $30k would probably be optimistic unless the car has high milage. Let me know if you find an extra !
    By the way, I saw an expresso car with 26k (I think) on EBAY yesterday, not that I would recommend buying a car via an online auction. (unless you inspect it first)

Regards,
    Denny
  • ferarri11ferarri11 Posts: 91
    too bad new Q45 sales are shot...only 300 or so a months sold according to autosite. i guess everyone is waiting for the new 2002 Q45
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Thats going to be a long and painful wait for Infiniti dealers.

M
  • vqzhtrvqzhtr Posts: 9
    I've also wondered how Infiniti is going to hold out on this one. No new products till April 2001!!! Ouch. The only thing I can think of is Infiniti putting the rumored 260hp V6 in I30 or introducing the New QE sports Sedan between that time.
    Ferarri11: Not sure what you mean by shot. Sales are running almost identical to last year. The Q has never been a big volume seller, and Infiniti does not expect it to be. Overall Infiniti sales are up over last year, due to good sales of the I30. Keep in mind that there are less than 150 Infiniti dealers now, so the salesmen are not quite as painfully lonesome as some here believe.
    still 1500 sales in 5 months is bad. i hope your reasoning is not used at infiniti for the next car. (not trying to be mean) imagine creating a car and not expecting it to sell. that is a bit silly. all car companies should create the best and most appealing car possible if they expect to be a great car company.

in the mean time, they could dump the I30 engine into the G20. the car already has great handling. add better styling and they would have an instant 3 series contender. or supercharge the I30 for the T model.
  • kdbeskdbes Posts: 2
    I AM ON MY THIRD TRANSMISSION IN MY 92 Q45. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM? WHAT IS THE TYPICAL LIFESPAN OF THE TIMING CHAIN ON THE Q45?
  • binki535binki535 Posts: 7
    The 2002 Q Cd is .30 compared to Lexus's .25 WITH its optional air suspension system. They have not told what the Cd is without the Air supsension is. Anyway, besides the Cd, the Q beats the LS430 in everyway. More power, faster acceleration (5.9 to 6.2), more interior space, and to me, much better and daring styling than the LS430. Not only does the Q have all of that over the LS, it has that over the S500, 7 series and A8- Infiniti has the got the car that will make them be reconized.
    5.9 0-60. That is the ESTIMATED time. Normaly, companies just guess the 0-60, so the Q would probably go faster 0-60 than 5.9 seconds. Unbelievable!
    Of course Infiniti wants to sell more Q45s.
    According to the autosite figures some on these threads use, the figure for the first 5 months is 1966 units, almost the same as for the same period last year. That's why I wouldn't describe the Q sales as "shot". Consistently behind it's competitors ? Yes. There are a lot of Luxury makers right now who wish some of their models were selling at the same rate as last year. I see the Q is only about 500 units behind the GS400 for
    the year, which is off in sales (as are all Lexus cars - thankfully they have the RX300). But, I don't think anyone's ready to proclaim GS400 sales are dead just yet. It would seem that the 2002 Q45 should boost sales for that model when it arrives, but just how much depends on the final content, and the price, of course.
    Like you, I would like to see Infiniti keep the G20 and give it a little more power. I've driven a few of these for loaners when I've had my Q in for service, and they are fun cars.
    Car companies do not always build cars with the expectation that they will be volume sellers. While Infiniti is selling less Q45s than it expected when introduced years ago, it also knows that building a technically advanced car such as the Q is imperative if it wants to create the perception that the rest of the model line has that type of desirability. The buyer must perceive that there is a trickle-down effect with the less expensive models (the volume sellers) of engineering, quality, and prestige. A good example of this is Audi's A8. Audi will never sell that car in volume, but it doesn't matter. It shows potential A4 and A6 buyers that Audi can exhibit a car-building prowess that they somehow are benefitting from.
    BTW, although I have been out of the retail end of the auto business for some years (see profile), I still do some bird-dogging (locating cars) for a local dealer in the wholesale market. I'll be scouting for myself as well, though, since I sold my old Q yesterday. I usually buy cars one to two years old, and I can tell you that the Q is near the top of the list for the next one (along with maybe a 540). I look at value, or in my case, getting as much car as I can for the money (while being reasonably new). The Q fits the order well. In fact, with current incentives even a new Q is a good value. Cheers..
  • cprestoncpreston Posts: 2
    kdbes take a look at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/infinitiownersclub There is great technical discussion on all early Qs particularly 92 chains --actually a chain guide problem from what I can gather.

Several EXTREMELY knowledgeable folks at the site. Enjoy,

Curt
    1900 units in 5 months is low though. even the 7 series and the S class and LS400 sell more. they are more expensive too. i agree, the present is a deal for 40000, as the paper advertises. it still has a relatively small back seat compared to the competition though.

binki535-
    i wouldnt say it is better than the 7 series, which will be released in the next year also. no one has ever driven both yet. we cant compare until the cars are released...but Cd and 0-60 times are only a small part of the luxury pie, and these have to be experienced before making a judgement.
    And I know you cant say its better because of Cd and 0-60 times...that's why I explained the other features such as its torisional rigidity is better than the 2000 Q by 40% which translates into better handling. It also has more room and is by far the sportiest car of the pack. Ethusiants like sporty, therfore, it will be the better car.
    The Infiniti concept the XVL, will be the next G20, or possibly the next J30. It will have a the most powerful V6 engine in its class, tons of state of the art saftey features, a Cd of .28, and 17 inch wheels. It will be the next super sporty car coming from Infiniti. Tom Orbe of Infiniti says that all of the future Infinitis will be sport oriented with luxury second instead of slow, semi luxurious cars.
    Infinitis future will have a sport coupe (spun off of the Skyline GT), a roadster, a crossover SUV making the QX4 become a LX470/Navigator competitor, and a redesigned I30. All cars will be rear wheel drive...the way it should be.
  • crowedogcrowedog Posts: 2
    I am currently interested in a 1995 Q45t w/approx. 70,000 miles. Car is loaded and in incredible shape (int. & ext. immaculate). Has CD player, etc. Seller is asking $14,900. Never owned one but can now understand the attraction. Looking for advice, Is this a good buy or should I pass and look for something else?
    I think thats a good price, but 70,000 ,iles is a lot. So try to get the price down to $14,500 or $14,000. Good luck.
    The '95 is a good year. For these cars you can place a higher priority on maintenance and service records when figuring value. If this car is as nice as you say you might want to stop and think what you can buy with $14.9k. Looks even better then, doesn't it? If the seller will let it go for a little less that's even better..
    BTW, if you're concerned about the expired warranty, Warranty Gold told me about 6 months ago that they have coverage plans you can obtain as long as the car has <80k miles. The '95 model is a very reliable car, though. I checked out WG for my '93 but it had 83k at the time. I wasn't serious about buying the coverage though; just curious about the price. For market value comparisons, I sold my '93 last Thursday for $11k. It had 85k miles, but looked like a new car. It didn't have a CD, but had BBS wheels. Good Luck !
  • yjlauferyjlaufer Posts: 2
    I'm in northern NJ.
    Looking for exceptional 94 to 96 Q45T.
    Will consider same year Non-T with BBS wheels.

Appreciate in help in locating this car.
    Jason
  • crowedogcrowedog Posts: 2
    Thanks for the responses. I bought the car, moved a little on price to $14,500. What an unbelievable machine. I just hope I can keep it away from my wife. There is no way I could have come close to purchasing anything comparable for the money. Will be looking into Warranty Gold - Thanks
    Congrats! I wish I could drive it...I wish I could drive period. Good luck with it.
  • mjuemjue Posts: 1
    One of the previous posters mentioned looking for an off lease '97 Q... I bought my 97.5 new at a substantial discount off list price and here in the SF Bay Area at least, current Q's are running $12k OFF MSRP. That's a tremendous incentive to consider a new one. (Although I'll admit the ~26k prices commanded for used '97's is compelling.)

97.5 models are identical to '98's with the then new side air bags so if you are looking at 97's, you can get the '98 spec by looking at the seat side for the airbag.

My wife and I are looking for a replacement car for the aging Volvo I drive now and each time the topic comes up around S class benzes (even E class) or Lexus GS or ????, we invariably look around and say, "Waitaminute... the new Q45T in two tone is "only" 40k compared with costs of some of these others at +10k or more with 6 cylinder engines." Another Q in the house? Hmmmmm.....

Good luck!

Mic
    '97.5 Q - 60k