Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti Q45

Comments

• just read over 600 comments about this debate. confused as ever. looked at a 2000 q anniversary demo with 10,000 miles for $42,000 and have seen 1997 ls 400s with 25,000 mi. certified for $34,000. i want to own it for 6 or more years and get 150,000 miles of hassle-free driving. don't care about style, power- just want DEPENDABILITY. please advise
  • In my research into the subtle differences between the '97 '98 & '99 I found that the '99 year model added in the HID headlights, the analog clock and the glass sunroof in lieu of the steel. (I had missed this item until your post mentioned it) But other than that, you are absolutely right about no one would know the difference between these model years driving down the street.
    I should mention that my wife has requested that which ever year we settle on it has to be a "t" model. She has driven both and loves the tighter/firmer suspension of the Q45t.
    Once again thanks for the feed back and insights.
    Best Regards,
    Phil
  • lllwlflllwlf Posts: 13
    42K is high. Places like carsdirect.com are selling new ones for that price. If you walked in there with 36.5, they'd take it.
  • aimanaiman Posts: 61
    confused23,

don't forget to try the Cadillac Seville STS. I think they can be had for huge discount like the Q45 (low $40k). Reliability should be among the best. In addition to offering more features, the Seville's crashworethiness is much better than the Q. Test drive them all and decide for yourself.

Good luck!
  • aiman:

This forum is for people interested in the Q. Pro-Cadillac comments really aren't appropriate in here. Similarly, pro-Lexus or pro-Infiniti comments aren't appropriate in the Cadillac topics. The folks at Town Hall have been trying very hard to keep these forums informative, on topic, and minimize heated debates which are the inevitable outcome when models outside the topic at hand are introduced. Later.
    Well, confused32 was asking about whether he should pursue a brand new Q45 or a used LS400 (LS400 is not this forum's topic, btw). All I recommend was in addition to those two, test drive the Caddy as well. It's in the same price range afterall.
  • I just purchased a 96 Q45 and noticed a "shudder" at about 15 mph when accelerating from a dead stop. It's as if you drove over a "ribbed" pavement but much more subtle. Seems to be the transmission or drivetrain NOT tires or suspension. Happens only as described above not at any other time. I have not yet been to the dealer.
  • I have Perelli tires on a 96 Q I just purchased with 62,000 miles. They are NOT brand new tires and are VERY "noisy" at highway speeds. Is this a trade off for the handling of this brand? I would prefer less noise and handling for more quite and comfort. Michelin tires perhaps?
  • lllwlflllwlf Posts: 13
    Johnbee-
    It sounds like you have a lot of "problems" that your DEALER should look at.
  • bretfrazbretfraz Posts: 2,021
    Well, a Q45 is a performance car that is luxurious. It needs a performance tire to...... perform. I don't know what model PIRELLI is on the '96 and since the car was just bought, nobody knows how many miles are on the PIRELLI'S and how they were maintained.

Consensus is the Michelin Pilot XGTV4 is the best tire for the Q45 as it matches well with the car's performance and holds up well - the Q45 is a notorious tire-eater.

If you want quiet, try the Michelin Energy MXV4+ but be prepared to rotate/balance them frequently in order to get some mileage from them. The new Yokohama dB is supposed to be very quiet. Check it out.

You'll probably need new shocks & struts (OEM Tokico's). Have the car checked for suspension wear and repair as needed. Only then will you feel the real Q45 ride.
  • Without a doubt the leading expert on the new Q 45 is Neil Hayes at Infiniti of Nashville.
    He has been feeding factory shots and more for the last six months
    check out his website
    http://www.infinitiofnashville.com
    I can't believe where he gets his information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I don't know how anyone else feels but I love the look and specs on this updated Q. I have been planning to replace my 91Q this spring and was going to look for a used 97Q but this has me pulling together the $$ for the new Q. My dealer has said they are taking deposits ( refundable if you don't like it). I hope to be one of the first on the block to be driving this beauty. The Edmunds first look article is the most info I've seen on it to date.
  • Hey titanzrock, when I go to the site, I cant click on the 2002 Q45 link. How can I see some more photos of the Q? Thanks for your help.
  • Johnbee recently posted about the "shudder" at low speed that felt like going over a ribbed road. I just noticed the same thing at 1500-2000rpm. 95 Q with 85,000 miles. Any thoughts before it goes in. Getting ready to sell to upgrade to new or newer model. Thanks.
  • Can anyone give me info on the 1996 Inifiniti Q45?
    Petersung,

in Houston 97 Q45 sell for around 20k. Imo, your price is too high.
  • Do you have information of the 99Q45t in the Houston area and how much are they going for?

Here in the Phoenix area I'm seeing about the same selling price as "Petersung" on the 97Q's, so if the Q's are selling for a better price in the Houston area and since I'm looking for a 99Q, maybe it worth a trip to your area.

Best Regards,
    Phil
    pgoldston,

if I see some on the local newspaper, I'll let you know. My statement on the 97 price is based on the classified ads on Houston Chronicle. My bro. was considering buying one and low 20k seems to be the prevailing price. That was about 2 months ago, btw. One guy who my bro. called has access to auctions. He took us to this particular one and we saw tons of very recent Nissans (including 2000 Maxima--from rental maybe) and Infinitis. There were pretty much every color of 97 Q45 available. The mileage were mid 30's to 50's thousand miles. My guess is they're off-lease vehicle that the dealer can't sell (since they're quite unpopular).

Anyway, my guess is a 99 Q45 is about 30k.
  • I appreciate the feed back. I'm hoping to locate a 99 off-lease but it may be a little soon to do so. I'll give it a few more months and see what develops.

Best Regards,
    Phil