Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• cet1stcet1st Posts: 17
    I have a 2007 S80-V8 with 40K miles. My cruise control radar had to be replaced. I use it alot on long trips. The most costly item so far not covered in the warranty, bent rims from the potholes in Chicagoland. I have also switched to Mobil 1 (0w30) synthetic oil to keep it running like a top.
    I have a 2007 S80-V8 AWD with 18" rims with are easily bent from potholes on the various roads and highways. So far I have experienced four bent rims within a year. I am considering replacing the 18" rims with 17" rims in order to keep this great car. What advice or considerations should I consider. Lastly, where can I purchase 17" rims (Volvo OEM or after market)?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,147
    Check out tirerack.

Also, what pressures are you running in the tires?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

These factory installed tires are low profile tires on the S80-V8 AWD. Tires are inflated at their recommended pressure of 36 psi. I have talked to Tirerack.com, and they stated that profile tires and rims are at risk when potholes are involved. They also made the recommendation of switching to 17" tires and rims.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    If you live in a pothole infested area, 18"s are not the rims to have.
  • johnlowjohnlow Posts: 4
    hi. i never did . No i didn't locatted alarm siren ,if you do let me know
  • I spoke to the dealer and he tells me that the horn is behind the passanger's front tire. You will have to take the by the front wheel. The replacement horn is about 200 bucks.

Good Luck!!
  • johnlowjohnlow Posts: 4
    Thanks for the information
    FYI
    According to the Volvo rep (who I spoke with today), 2009 S80 outside mirrors have a deactivated motor (we did not address earlier years). In Europe they have the motors activated to retrack the mirrors. At the dealer (parts) you must request the $30 software and pay service (labor cost) for activation.
    2009 Volvo S80/V8 AWD only comes with 18" wheels. I'm trying to locate a site that sells Volvo 17x8" Meissa wheels. The 17x7" wheels are not recommended for AWD.
  • jean007jean007 Posts: 2
    I am contemplating purchasing a 1999 with 114,000. My mechanic says it's in excellent condition. Since I'm a mortgage broker I'm very tight for money and I'm concerned that if it has a problem it will cost me a fortune to fix. Am I better off with a newer Japanese vanilla car? Help!
  • irishcaseyirishcasey Posts: 36
    Hi Jean007 (Bond is it?)

I think your concern is spot on if you plan on servicing it at a Volvo dealer. If you have a reasonable private mechanic maybe that's ok.

I bought an 02 S80 T6 about a year ago for my teenage son to drive. I was principally concerned about safety and it has cost alot more than my Honda and Toyota for routine maintenance (which I always have done at a dealer). I took the Volvo in last week for a $65 oil change and walked out paying $374. My next service at 105,750 includes the timing belt and is priced at $1,400.

It is a beautiful car and fun to drive!!

Also, I believe 1999 was the first year so you may want to research that. I recall in my research not wanting to get an S80 1999 or 2000 because I believe there were posts about trans and electric issues.

Hope this helps and again, it's just MHO, but I think your concerns are valid.

Good luck.
  • jean007jean007 Posts: 2
    Hi Irish Casey.

Thanks for your very detailed response. (Bond indeed - is my age showing?) I do have a good mechanic. Volvo quoted me $1,200 for a timing belt and 2 mechanics quoted 400 and 500 respectively.

I also have detailed service records and they don't mention electrical issues.

Because of my business I have to drive something semi-respectible and a rust-dripping, exhaust belching junker just won't do.. I also only put about 5-6,000 miles on a car each year.

I'm really torn since I've never purchased a used car before. I really appreciate your feedback, Mr. Irish.

Thanks again
  • doctordickdoctordick Posts: 36
    I had a '99 T6 and loved the car. The early ones had transmission problems (due to some bolt holes in the wrong places) that gave them a bad name. However, I found it to be a great car. However, as all newer Volvos it is not cheap to maintain, even if you don't use a dealer. I used a factory trained but non dealer servicing company that I have found very reliable, but the car just is expensive to maintain. I had multiple problems with the mass meter, and before I gave it to my daughter I had about 3000 bucks worth of repairs done. Sadly, though they liked the car it was just too expensive for them so they sold it.
    I have had two S80's since then and they are fine cars with cutting edge safety features for far less than a Mercedes or Beemer with similar features. But all expensive to maintain. My current vehicle is a 2007 V8 which I love. But I can afford the fuel and the maintenance.
    If expensive maintenance is a problem you won't be happy. Otherwise you may love the car as I did.
  • 1999 S80 has message "Service Ele Power Power Subsystem" Message goes away after about 10 minutes. Drive car about four times, about 2 miles each- no problem. Drive car two more miles and it starts to sputter like no gas (has gas). Engine finally stops and car won't start click, click click sound. Leave car for 2 hrs. won't start when I come back engine won't start click, click, click. Remove battery cover- cables are clean and battery water level ok. Inspect wires to starter and alternator- look ok. Engine starts. Drive about 200 yds. Leave car running in park for about 5 minutes. Try to back out of parking space and no power in reverse (like the throttle cable is broke, if it has on?) Put car in drive and it won't go into gear. Engine still running but no throttle and no transmission activity. All electrical out on dash, power windows out, etc. Turn car off- try to restart- car won't start click, click, click. Is this a problem with alternator, regulator (is there one), battery or ?????? Any help appreciated. THANKS!!!
    Sounds like an issue w/ one or more of the processors. Gonna have to take it to the dealer.
  • unhappy99unhappy99 Posts: 17
    Hello,

My S80 displays SERVICE ENGINE REQUIRED light.
    The light has been on and off for about 4 months.
    Anyway, about 3 weeks ago another warning light came on- on the right panel- a little triangle that looks like a brake pedal.
    My mechanic checked it and got a code that determined the O2 Sensor was needed. He replaced it.
    2 days later the SERVICE ENGINE REQUIRED came back on.
    The car shut off suddenly on saturday as I was coming to a stop.
    It restarted immediately but I am nervous about driving it like this.
    Actually, this is the 7th time the car has shut off while I am coming to a stop.
    Does anyone know what may be the problem.
    Thanks very much for any help.

Frank
    My guess would be elctronic throttle module or MAF sensor. Probably need to take the car to a Vovlo dealer. S80's are a little beyond the average mechanic.
  • I have a 99 S80t6 with 100K one it. I have had the check engine for months. I went to my local NAPA store and bought one of those hand held testers and run my own codes and turn it off now and then. The cost of the tool is about 60 bucks.
    As far as the triangle lite, mine does that in the winter, when my front tires spin. I think its a traction control sensor.
  • unhappy99unhappy99 Posts: 17
    Well many thanks to you Volvomax for your help.
    My mechanic says maybe fuel fiter but I think it is something beyond that.
    His computer tester doesnt pick up any codes.
    I may have to take this car to Volvo to get a diagnosis instead of guessing.
    One more thing, could I get the Electronic Throttle Module or MAF sensor to buy online? Thanks.