Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• CHECK THE FUSE BOX... sounds like you have a blown fuse.... anyway im trying to find a history report for my s80 volvo 2000 is there a way you can help me out
    my vin#yv1ts90d3y11233550
  • go IPDUSA VOLVO PART they sell all type oem volvo parts , recomende PBR dustless pads and ATE rotors their price is very affordable bettter than dealer parts..
  • my vin number is YV1TS90D3Y1123550....thank you
  • That isn't a service we provide here. If you're asking about the CarFax report, well... they charge a fee for that service - if someone has an account, it's not meant to be used for others.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• try Kragen or AUTOzone or IPDUSAVOLVO.COM ,SEARS AUTOMOTIVE
    interstate batteries are good ....they will check your battery if its still good to be recharge...to recharge it it wont cost arm and leg....
  • ok ..is there any public record or title research ,or history records i can use...
  • Not to find the accident or repair history of your specific vehicle, no. However, if you have a good relationship with your dealership, you might ask them. Did you recently purchase your vehicle?

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hello,

I would like to replace my front brakes completely and I want to purchase it online.
    I see they have 2 sizes for rotors- 11" and 12". Could any one work for my car (S80-t6)? Also, I am thinking of getting the Brembo brand. Are they good? Many thanks.
  • I did check the Fuse box and found a blown fuse. Thanks.
    With regards to vehicle records, only if the car was serviced by Volvo then you may know. How many owners before you? The less the owners the more accurate your records may be.
  • I noticed my gas mileage is getting poorer by the day.
    For example, half tank gave me only 250 km before the gas light came on.
    Anyone know how I may improve the mileage. I just replaced my spark plugs and I am very soft on the pedal. Thanks.
  • CHECK TIRE PRESSURE , MAKE SURE EVERYTHING THE SAME , and also check the air filter ....when you drive all windows are all up ..wind drag will give you poor gas mileage ...
  • check with NAPA auto parts they do sell rebuilt radiator , it goods new....
  • After turning off an '03 S80, there was a constant buzzing sound which seemed to be coming from the area under the air filter. After maybe 8-10 minutes it stopped. This same buzzing happened a couple of years ago, one time, but stopped in less than 5 minutes.

During the first occurrence I talked to a volvo dealer service advisor who said this was likely the brake vacuum booster pump running after shutting off the engine due to a small leak some where and that it was not a serious issue. I did not take the car in. The car has 47,000 mi on it.

Does this sound like the booster pump or something else? If it is the booster pump running on, any idea what is involved in fixing the problem?
  • I have a 2000 Volvo S80. I was recently given the car by my parents - aka they put the car I've been driving for 5 years into my name so I would have to pay for it.

There are so many problems I don't know where to begin. I know absolutely nothing about cars and need as much advice as possible. I know that if I go to a mechanic I will be taken advantage of, and as a recent college grad, I can't afford to be tricked. Hence I would like to figure out as much as possible before going in. The inspection sticker on my car just expired and I know it wont pass with all the issues.

So here it goes....

-"Brake Failure Stop Safely ASAP" light is on - I had the rear (or maybe the front?) brakes replaced about 6 months ago, but the warning has returned

-"Coolant Low Stop Engine ASAP" light is on, but the engine hasn't moved above the middle line on the gage.

-ABS light is on

-STC light comes on sporadically

-The rear driver's side door locks itself and gets stuck. Extremely inconvenient and dangerous - I am a nanny and I always have kids in the back.

-The engine revs while the car is in drive but I am stopped in traffic - it might also happen when the car is parked, but mostly it is just really loud always - way more than it used to be

-I know I need the timing belt replaced - should have been a while ago, but it's so expensive and other immediate needs kept popping up - ie. i've had the rear door fixed before and the brakes. I am aware of the damage that the belt can cause to the engine, but are there any warning signs that it is about to go? Could any of my other issues be caused by the old timing belt?

I know I sound like a complete idiot, but doing research online has just led me in circles with my head spinning. I figured other S80 members must have experienced some of the same issues. I am looking for any advice you can give. Also, I am located in the Boston area, so if you know of any good, trustworthy mechanics I would love to get their contact info.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Maggie :confuse:
  • unhappy99unhappy99 Posts: 17
    I have 1 99S80 and I have had some of those issues.
    First you should go to a Volvo dealer only for a diagnostic test.
    It costs about 100 but is well worth it. It will tell you all the problems that keep appearing on the warning panel and recommend what to fix.
    I am in Toronto, but you will need to get a mechanic in your area who knows about these cars.
    There are not many who can fix these cars properly.
    Hope this helps.
  • Let me start by saying I'm very sorry to hear about all the problems you're having with your Volvo. I HAD a 99 Volvo S80 and let me just say I feel your pain. In the one year I had the car I replaced the radiator, battery, power steering hoses and o-rings, had to do so much on that car. I eventually gave up on the car and started driving a Ford. I would say just sell the car, once these cars fall apart they fall apart for good. They're not very durable after some point.
    If you do decide you want to try to fix the car I can tell you that the engine rev problem is probably a mass air flow sensor.
    I think the ABS light is always supposed to be on (or at least it is always on in my Ford Expedition)
    The coolant warning just means you need to put more coolant in the resevior (I suggest using any 50 50 pre mixed coolant)
    The brake problem is weird and I don't know much about breaks sorry can't help you on that one
    As far as the timing belt goes thats a tough fix on those cars it takes the mechanics a long time because it is a hard car to work on and there is not very much space around it to change the timing chain but if the belt goes out you will pretty much lose everything until you replace it
    And last but not least the door locking itself may require the door panel to be pulled off .
  • yankman04yankman04 Posts: 14
    Regarding my 2009 S80 - at 15,000 miles my front passenger side tire developed a small bubble on the sidewall and I had to replace the tire AT MY EXPENSE - the dealer said that I must have hit a large pothole or bump in the road. Now at 22,000 miles I noticed another small bubble on the driver's side front. This is frustrating especially because I don't drive reckless. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and whether I have any recourse. The tires are: Continental ContiPro Contact - 223/50 R17 98V EXTRA LOAD MS Radial Tubeless.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    This is frustrating especially because I don't drive reckless. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and whether I have any recourse.

In a word - no. Tire bubbles on the sidewall are from impact. Simply going into a pothole and having the sidewall pinched will cause the bubble. It can happen to anybody or any tire.
  • I had to replace all four tires on the one I had. The guy who looked at it from the tire store said it was a pressure bump much like how you were told it was probably from hitting a pot hole. I don't think it has to do with wreckless driving but the quality of the tires. I would say if any more appear, just replace all four of your tires with higher quality tires. I had that bump with Continental tires and replaced them with Dunlop tires and never had another issue with the tires and I drove that car on the Dunlop tires for over 10,000 miles.
  • hook66hook66 Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 S80 with the same issue as david3299: The actuator does not lock the fuel door. Did you find out what the problem was? The actuator is ok,
    Regards. hook66