Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    No Volvo doesn't.
    They did have some here for testing.
    As far as I"m aware they don't have any plans to offer the cars here.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 284
    yeap, you are ABSOLUTELY correct. this is THE WORST dealer I have ever experienced. I got a coupon from their website for an oil change few month ago. guess what. the service writeup dude gave me "the look" when I told him that I had the coupon. about 20 min after I was in the waiting room, he came up to me and said the belly cover needed to be replaced. I said no. he said it was broken so badly that they wouldn't put it back. anyhow, I put it back by myself when I got home.

had my next oil change done @ volvo Dallas. I asked if it's necessary to change the belly cover. the service advisor said there is no need to worry about the little crack.

if you are in DFW area looking for a new car or getting your car serviced, AVOID volvo of Richardson.
  • I am a novice lease person and think I have made a mistake and need some help in how to proceed. I am at month 32 of a 39 month lease. I am already 8,000 miles over at .15 per mile. It is a 2000 s80 with purchase price of $22,166 and a monthly lease payment of $580. I don't want to keep the car and would like to cut my losses as soon as possible to avoid paying the extra miles. The eol price seems really high. What are my options? Thanks for any help.
  • I just purchased a 2002 T6 and LOVE it! Very quiet, very comfortable, and packs a punch on the road. My question is about the durability of the turbos. The manual recommends letting the engine idle before and after drives to allow the turbos to get enough lubrication from the oil. How critical is this?? I just can't see myself maintaining this habit for very long, especially on quick trips around town. I have not seen many posts regarding turbo failure so I tend to think they are pretty sturdy. If I fail to follow these guidelines am I at risk of forfeiting the warranty?? I've never owned a turbocharged vehicle before. Any input? Thanks!
    Actually the only time the turbo needs to cool down is after extensive highway driving.

More than say an hour at highway speeds and then only for 1-2 minutes.
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    Regarding post #1124:

You don't have to sit in your car and wait either. Just take it easy (i.e., no aggressive acceleration) for that last mile or so to your house and you should be able to let the turbo spool down enough to simply turn off the car and exit when you park.

-rollie
  • Good feedback! I was hoping normal care would be OK. I have a friend at Nissan who said some manufacturers use pressurized oil filters for the purpose of keeping oil out of the drip pan and in the engine when it's turned off for added protection. Any idea if Volvo does this? Also, any thoughts on who provides the most comprehensive extended warranty for the best price? I just traded in an Audi mainly because of the expensive repairs (for minor problems). I want to avoid this with the Volvo. Thanks!
    Regarding post #1127:

dlewin, the S80 has a cartridge type filter with a check valve that I believe was designed for this purpose but I can't be sure.

Regarding extended warranties, I went through this selection process myself and ended up with Warranty Gold (WG) in the end (I went with their top of the line plan). WG is the largest in the business and they have setup financial guarantees (insurance or escrow - I don't recall which) to insure you are covered even if they go out of business (which I don't think will be an issue given their popularity). WG pays ANY dealer or service shop that will take a Visa or Mastercard. I've only used them twice and they've been very easy to use (I used them once at a dealership that handled the repair authorization and once at a dealership that didn't which required me to check on my own first and then file for reimbursement which was paid quickly).

There are other plans out there including Volvo's. I was planning to use Volvo's until I found out it is much more expensive to buy Volvo's plan near the end of your warranty than to buy it when you purchase the car new (I was quoted a number approaching $4k!!). I ended up with a no-deductible plan that is just as or more comprehensive from WG for $2k (and the only exclusions are the normal wear and tear items, bright metal parts, and sheet metal damage for the most part.)

If I can answer any questions please let me know.

Thanks.

-rollie
  • Thanks for the info. I saw WG and it looked pretty good. Though, it sounds like if I get the Volvo VIP now, the price might be comparable (about $2K??) - I only have 150 miles on the car so far. I still get a little nervous about a 3rd party warranty - but it sounds like you've had good experiences.

Just curious, which Volvo do you have and what went wrong? I know the '99 S80's are scary, and the 2000/2001's are better. I haven't heard much about the '02 S80. Any known issues with them? I'm hoping they ironed out all of the earlier problems...

Thanks!
    Regarding post #1129:

I have a '99 S80 T6 and a '01 V70 T5. The T6 is the one with the extended warranty (the T5 is leased and will be swapped for a XC90 T6 in the next year or so).

It's been awhile and I didn't commit the details to memory. I'll have to find my paperwork and double check but the only problem I've had so far with the T6 was a problem with a valve for one of the cylinders (#6) I think.

I am planning a trip in next month to have the radio replaced (I'm not sure if it's got dirt / crud in it or what but it's acting up and making a loud noise while spinning discs), repair the interior motion sensor (it's not working and I can't find a fuse to check), replace the hood struts which aren't as supportive as they used to be, and have the gaskets / seals checked since I get some smoke at WOT and a few oil drops per week on the garage floor.

This sounds like a lot but most of it is normal wear and tear. I'm glad it will all be covered by my warranty program!

-rollie
  • rleongrleong Posts: 41
    Rollie-

Can you please tell me where I can find more info about the Warrenty Gold. It sounds like a great deal compared to Volvo's.

Thanks,
    Ray
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    While you are waiting for rollie to check back in, have a look at the discussions on our Finance, Warranty & Insurance board - I think you'll find a ton of useful information there!
    Hi Ray. You can find a good deal of info on this particular program at www.warrantygold.com.

I just took some time and perused the topic the host posted in message #1132. My read on it is that several 3rd party warranty programs including Warranty Gold were using the same outfit for claims processing. Apparently this outfit was handling 8 organizations (including Warranty Gold) from what I read and were doing a horrible job. From what I read WG left this outfit in early 2000 and has addressed their claims customer satisfaction issue. Again, this is all based on a long litany of posts with varying degrees of accuracy, attention to detail, and possibly incentive.

Again, I've only been a customer for just under a year now and I've been happy so far. However, I would still encourage anybody looking at a warranty program to shop across several suppliers.

Good luck.

-rollie
    '99 S80 T6
    '01 V70 T5
  • rleongrleong Posts: 41
    Rollie & Pat:

Thanks for the help. I guess I have a lot of research before signing up.

Raymond
  • Having had a turbo Mazda RX-7, I offer the following for turbo care:

1) Absolutely must use only synthetic oil. The bearings in the turbo are eventually destroyed when normal engine oil cokes. Since synthetic doesn't coke in normal engines, the bearing life should be far greater.

2) You must cool the turbo down by idling for 1 minute whenever the turbo is used near shutdown. This is actually more likely during city and hilly driving than after highway driving.

3) Change the oil, change the oil, change the oil frequently. I sure wouldn't go much past 3500 miles even with synthetic unless you've got a really incredible filter. The contaminates that builds up in the oil with bearings spinning up to 100,000 revs/minute wears them fast.

4) Keep the other engine emissions stuff working. My engine had a bad oxygen sensor that leaned the fuel out and caused the engine to run hot. The result was burning out 4 turbos in less than 50000 miles before the cause was found.

5) Get an extended warranty because all turbos will go sometime shortly after 70000 miles if not sooner. How much a Volvo turbo unit costs I don't know, but I imagine it is $1-2k installed.
    I had a 95 T5-R over 85k on it when I sold it.
    Oil changed every 5,000 miles as directed in the owners manual.
    Reg 30 weight motor oil. No problems whatever from the turbo. Engine was chipped as well.

Folks, turbo cars aren't hard to care for if they're engineered properly.
  • mmullenmmullen Posts: 17
    Rollie, I wish you the best of luck but I would be very surprised if your 3rd party extended warranty covers everything you listed. Especially the smoke on hard accelleration and the bad oil seals. They might not cover the hood struts either. Let us know how it goes in any case.

Is your warranty supposed to cover parts as well as labor?

Mike
    2000 S80
    >Having had a turbo Mazda RX-7, I offer the following for turbo care:

Sidibird, while I'm sure your turbo care comments were well meaning, it would be good to realize there is a world of difference between the turbo that was in your RX-7 and the twin turbos in the S80 T-6.

>1) Absolutely must use only synthetic oil. The bearings in the turbo are eventually destroyed when normal engine oil cokes. Since synthetic doesn't coke in normal engines, the bearing life should be far greater.

This is generally good advice but it is not absolutely necessary to use synthetic oil to get good turbo life, particularly if the cool-down procedures in the manual are followed after hard driving. The engine is rated to run on dino oil.

>2) You must cool the turbo down by idling for 1 minute whenever the turbo is used near shutdown. This is actually more likely during city and hilly driving than after highway driving.

That's a little extreme. A short burst of power using the turbo is not going to raise the turbo bearing temperatures enough to carbonize oil. Unless the turbo is red hot it will cool down enough in the last 30 seconds to shut off the engine in a normal manner.

3) Change the oil, change the oil, change the oil frequently. I sure wouldn't go much past 3500 miles even with synthetic unless you've got a really incredible filter. The contaminates that builds up in the oil with bearings spinning up to 100,000 revs/minute wears them fast.

This might be true in a rotary engine. In the S80's 2.8L turbo, the 7500 mile service interval is fine under normal service conditions, especially if synthetic oil is used.

With regular oil or if the vehicle is used in a dusty environemnt, for a lot of short trips or in a lot of stop and go traffic it might be a good idea to use an interval half that far but it is not necessary under normal service conditions.

>4) Keep the other engine emissions stuff working. My engine had a bad oxygen sensor that leaned the fuel out and caused the engine to run hot. The result was burning out 4 turbos in less than 50000 miles before the cause was found.

Very good advice for any car and especially a turbo.

>5) Get an extended warranty because all turbos will go sometime shortly after 70000 miles if not sooner. How much a Volvo turbo unit costs I don't know, but I imagine it is $1-2k installed.

That's just not applicable to the S80's twin turbos, they are entirely different from the turbo that was in your RX-7. The S80 T-6 has been on American roads since 1999 MY and I've never heard of a single turbo failing. That doesn't mean none have but if they only went 70,000 miles they would be failing left and right. That's not whats happening.

Mike Mullen
    Regarding post #1137:

mmullen, the Warranty Gold plan I opted for is VERY comprehensive. It turns out that it covered everthing I mentioned (always includes parts and labor) with one interesting exception. I spoke to the shop today (I flew in from Connecticut earlier today and haven't actually picked the car up) and the only thing Warranty Gold didn't pick up was the cost for 2 software downloads (new radio unit requires it as well as mass air flow sensor I think - I'll have to check when I pick up the car tomorrow). I don't see any mention of software in the exclusions for my plan so I will call Warranty Gold tomorrow for an explanation from them on why they don't think they should pay for the two software downloads ($170). I'll try to remember to post an update here later.

Thanks.

-rollie
    OK, I said I'd get back with an update so here goes:

At this point my T6 is still in the shop and the parts ordered yesterday have arrived (and the car may be ready by end of today). I called Warranty Gold to find out why they weren't covering the required software downloads. As I quickly discovered there's a difference between Warranty Gold and their warranty administrators (3rd party company that does administration for a significant number of other providers). I went back and forth with the rep on the phone about the software download. He kept saying they don't cover service upgrades and reflashing and I kept trying to get him to understand that with the CAN setup in this car this was neither (and since they are covering me to make a failed part work they have to cover the software). He kept stating they don't cover software downloads. I then asked him to show me in the exclusions section where this is mention and of course he couldn't (he tried to deter me with a reading of the definition of 'failure' which was not related).

Here's the kicker: this guy had the nerve to subtly threaten me! He said something about the fact that they weren't planning to cover any of the charges to begin with but the manager had decided to go ahead and do it! I took this as a threat meaning hey why don't you beat it and pay the $170 for software downloads on your own or you might get stuck with a bill for thousands! When I pursued an explanation for any rationale behind this threat he deflected back to the software issue. After a bit further discussion and my insistence that there was nothing in the contract excluding software (and his continual insistence that no plan they administer for any company covers it) he suggested I call Warranty Gold directly.

I called Warranty Gold and they went through the claim quickly and didn't see a reason why I should have a problem (actually they said from their end it looked like EVERYTHING was approved in the claim by the administrator already). They promised to call the warranty administration company and get back to me in a couple of hours. I hope to know something soon...

-rollie
    Hmmm - maybe Warranty Gold reads this forum - nah!

OK, I just got a call from Warranty Gold and they've spoken to the claims administration company and the dealership and they've insured that the software downloads are covered. It looks like my out of pocket costs are going to be nada!

-rollie
    Rollie, good job! It looks like all it took was a little diplomacy and persistence. Still, you shouldn't have to WORK to get what you already paid for.

How many miles are on your car now? I'm curious how they fixed the engine smoke on hard acceleration and which oil seals needed replacing to fix the oil leak.

Mike
    2000 S80 T-6
    Mike, I agree - I shouldn't have to work at it particularly when the item isn't spelled out in exclusions.

My T6 is just a few hundred miles shy of 60,000. I'm not sure how or what exactly was fixed since I'm not getting my car today afterall. The dealership called to tell me that the tech who was working on the car got something in his eyes from an open hose / nozzle and had to go to the hospital for an eye flush. I just got back from the dealership with a loaner. I was told I should expect a call from the dealership on Tuesday to get my T6 back. I'll try to remember to post a reply on the repairs then.

Thanks.

-rollie
  • Anybody hear any rumors as to when or if Volvo/Ford will offer 4 wheel drive on the S80??

My '99 T6 has over 60K now and I can't help thinking about the next one.

Thanks for any help! And happy 2003 to you all! You all give us/each other lots of help and support! rld.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Actually, they *used* to read the applicable discussions on the Finance, Warranty & Insurance board. I don't know whether they still do, but you might consider posting your experience over there as well. That way more folks than just the S80 audience here will read about it.
  • rghesselrghessel Posts: 122
    Does anyone have the Navigation system in their S80? I currently have a Lexus and I have found the Navigation system invaluable (primarily to assuage my gadget-fetish...). I'm considering a S60 or S80 when my lease is up and am wondering how user-friendly/functional the Volvo Nav system is. (Pretty cool how it rises out of the dash!)

I've read a review of car-based Nav systems, and Lexus was the winner by a long shot (largely cuz theirs is touch-screen based). BMW and MB were dead last, with Acura and Infiniti in the middle. (Volvo was not part of the comparison).

Appreciate your thoughts.

(PS Please spare me the "Navigation systems are a waste of money -- get a map" discussion. I KNOW they are a waste of money, but that's not my question...)
  • larryp3larryp3 Posts: 20
    I have the Nav system (DVD version) in my 2002 S80. I did not know there was a manual for it and was able to use it fully despite this. It takes a while to learn how to get to the function you want, i.e. the menu threading, but it usually performs effortlessly and accurately.

A few shortcomings however; The supplied USA maps are not complete and in rural areas you will find roads (addresses) missing. When navigating thru these areas time estimates are off. Even though it knows the main roads, it estimates very slow travel speeds for them, so if you are trying to find the fastest route, unless you are on an interstate hiway, it may ignore some of the better roads in these areas and take you a long way around.

Also, some built-up areas remain unmapped so check on Navigation Technologies' website to see if the city/town you need is covered.http://www.navtech.com/index.jsp

I also wish it would learn a short-cut, once traveled over, but there seems to be no learning function built in.

There are some minor errors in the maps, usually at intersections.

My screen is too dark until the unit warms up, but after that the automatic brightness control works fine.

Overall it is a decent performer and the annual updates($$$) should hopefully bring the expected improvements.
  • rghesselrghessel Posts: 122
    Thanks for your thoughts about the Nav system. For what it's worth, my Lexus system occasionally misses addresses and can't memorize specific alternate/shortcut routes.

Appreciate your thoughts (without the usual tirade about the waste of money...I love my Nav system and wont consider another car without it...)
  • I have a 2000 s80 t-6 with 36000. No major issues to date. However, I have noticed that when I am driving a very high speeds (90+), the car does not continue to accelerate smoothly. Rather it I feel a surge of speed, then another surge. I does not lose power or slow down, but rather lunges forward. Any thoughts or ideas why?
    Thanks
  • eitan1eitan1 Posts: 4
    I have a 99 2.9 S80.I 'm not particularly happy with ride over bumps. A 'hard' impact and a 'soft' rebound. Suspension was apparently improved in '01 & '02 models. Anyone know what was does & what I can do to improve ride? I got a quote for Koni adjustable shocks ($520 for set of 4) that claim it will improve dampening, ride & handling. Not sure what the benefit will be.