Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• ksween76ksween76 Posts: 2
    I only have a 30 day warranty at the Acura dealer where I bought my used car. I was hoping to have most servicing done with an independent mechanic. I have gotten a couple of good recommendations on who to use locally. Last week I took the car to an independent mechanic who specializes in Volvos. He found that the rear main engine oil seal is starting to leak. I have made an appointment with Acura to take a look at it. I understand this is a costly repair, so I'm going to try to get Acura to take care of this before the warranty is up.
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    Ah - I see.

I again would like to stress the importance of getting your car hooked up to a VADIS interface which I believe can only be done at a Volvo dealership at this point. (Ask you independent if they have the system.) It may cost you $100 or so at a Volvo dealer but believe me - any problems your Acura dealer misses through lack of ability to talk to the car (and EVERYTHING inside your car is connected through 2 data buses and about 18 computers) will be VERY costly to fix on your own dime. Due to the nature of multiplexed electronics it can take several steps (and you'll pay for each) through a repair protocol for any issues you discover after your 30-day warranty has expired.

If you have ANY doubts about the need to get your car checked with a VADIS interface please go to www.brickboard.com, www.vvspy.com, or www.swedespeed.com and ask some knowledgable owners (and be forewarned - these are places where people go when they have problems with cars --> it's not representative of the ownership experience.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    1999 S80 T6
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 284
    Hi all, does anyone know if there is a dedicated Volvo chat site?

Thanks!!
    If you mean a Volvo forum for Volvo-specific topics try:

www.swedespeed.com
    www.vvspy.com
    www.brickboard.com

These are the big 3 of Volvo forums but their are many others out there as well.

Good luck.

-rollie
    Thanks, Rollie. See ya there =)
  • tulsahogtulsahog Posts: 64
    Just bought a new '03 S80 and the dealer recommended a series T3 Automotive Preferred Care extended warranty from CNA National Warranty Corp. The cost for 7 yr 70,000 mi is $1,371 with $0 deductible. At $100 ded, cost is $1168. They also said I must buy it at purchase for this price, if bought later could double in price.

I would appreciate any comments/recommendations on 1. Advisability of ext warr for this car 2. If so, which company.

It is my wife's car and will only be driven about 9,500 mi per year. Have bought ext warr on Ford products in past and they have paid off. This is our first Volvo. So far, the car is great.
  • I have the same issue on a 2002 S80 T-6. It changes without touching any buttons or
    hitting any rough spots on the road. Happens while traveling. What fixed it?
    Thanks,
    There's a variety of normal conditions that will cause this - none of them are a problem though.

Your radio probably has 'News', 'TP', and another button that escapes my mind. If any of these buttons have been pressed (and they will persist even after you turn the radio off until you push them again) your radio may auto tune to another station at random times. The 'News' button tells the system to scan the radiowaves for a news alert and when it finds one to tune your radio to it. The 'TP' button tells the system to scan for a traffic protocol alert (e.g., road closure or other problem in the vicinity) and tune to it when found. It's all part of these RDS radios (in addition to things like an ability to have the system search for radio stations by genre, etc.)

Unfortunately in the U.S. some stations actually have equipment compatible with these systems but don't actually use them often if at all. It's not uncommon for example to have a 'TP' alert for a specific station because they're broadcasting the appropriate code even though they're not actually discussing anything related to traffic.

Check you LCD display and see if 'News', 'TP', or the other option (weather?) is listed. If so, turn off this button if you like. I've been using these features on my T6 since 1999 and rarely has it been of use in the U.S. (except a couple of times in bumper to bumper holiday traffic as I approached major bridges on an Interstate for example.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • jq3jq3 Posts: 52
    Today while on a quest to possibly replace my Miata for something with more space I ran across a '99 S80 T6 for $12995! I thought to myself that the price seemed awful low, so I decided to take a look at it. I took it for a test drive which was "rock-solid" to say the least. The exterior appearance didn't have any noticeable flaws, but one thing concerned me...95,000 on the odometer.!

That is a heckuva lotta miles for a 4 year old car! Should I be concerned? What could possibly be wrong that I did not notice? This car would be our "number 3" car which will mainly be used by my wife to travel back and forth from work. She has a Land Cruiser, but it is too big for downtown. We may use it to go out of town on occasion, but to sum it up it won't be our daily driver. Would you buy it?

The car had leather, CD, sunroof, etc. it was pretty loaded except for the Nav package. What do you think??

Thanks!

JQ3
    Get the maintenance records from the dealership. If you see several visits in the first 30-40k miles for relatively minor items then the owner(s) probably kept up on the maintenance (there were a couple of recalls for early 1999 S80s).

The earliest '99 S80s (VIN #'s less than 16,000) in particular were prone to recalls. Fortunately these problems have been solved (the O-ring fix took several tries before they settled on the right part.) As long as this particular S80 has been maintained and you take it to an independent garage (e.g., some other dealership or independent Volvo shop) to get it checked out I would go for it.

The service interval for this car is 7,500 miles. Major service is typically needed every 30k or so. Check the costs for these services at a couple of local dealers to make sure you're comfortable with it (the average maintenance costs for these cars over 5 years is a fraction of what it would cost for a much cheaper Camry or Accord according to Edmunds but you should still be aware of what you're getting into.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
    1999 S80 T6
    2001 V70 T5
  • I recently changed the engine air filter on my S-80 and had great difficulty in securing the top cover of the filter box. There are 3 tabs on the right hand side of the cover which must snap into the filter housing body. Anyone try this yet. Any tips other than forget it and let the dealer do it?
  • ibc5800ibc5800 Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my 01 T6 S80 that required the car to be in shop a few times for several weeks. Originally after I checked tire and wheel stuff like you (also have 17" Aka's) dealer suggested new transmission was required. After this installed (warranty) same rumble occurred on front right side. Round three fix was to replace front right axle and that seemed to fix all my problems. I say seemed because all this occurred in cold weather. When they finally changes axle, weather had changed...

I continue to be amazed at how poor some dealers are at fixing their cars....
  • ernkepernkep Posts: 1
    High Mileage S80 is okay but to avoid a surprise be aware the timing belt must be replaced at 105K miles. Dealer cost $700. My 99 S80 T6 has 89K miles runs great but the electronic gremlins are killing me.
  • oak4oak4 Posts: 5
    Don't buy it. I had my T6 for 6 months (99 with 18000 miles) and was in the shop 6 times. Very nice car but Volvo will not stand behind their product. I never had to pay for a repair but my warranty was up in 1 year and then it was my money. They did loan me a nice Chevy Malibu that I felt proud to drive when my $40k car was in the shop. I traded this car after the 6th time to the shop for a used certified Lexus and will never ever consider buying Volvo again. I had my Lexus over 1 year now and drove it 28,000 miles and the only problem was a window switch that was replaced. One last thing... When I was trading my T6 the Lexus dealer told me to take the car to Carmax or sell it in the paper because they did not want it.(It is an undesirable car) I lost$10k and traded it. They sent it to the auto auction.
  • mlproulx1mlproulx1 Posts: 1
    I'm new to this board. I know the AM reception has been discussed a little. I have a 2000 S80 T6.

At about 10-15k miles my AM reception was bad. I brought it in, they said they didn't really do anything but when I got it back my AM reception was as good as ever. They "...just tighted a few connections..." to the AM booster/pre-amp in the driver's side rear pillar.

At about 30k my reception started getting bad again. I realized it was correlated to road conditions - If my reception was poor and I hit a bump the reception would get better. If my reception was good and I hit a bump the reception would get bad. I brought it in and they replaced the booster/pre-amp (the thing in the driver's side rear pillar). My reception was good again.

At about 45k, same thing. This time the dealership said there was a "TSB" on this and the did the prescribed fix. My reception was good again.

At 60k, it's doing it again. I have an appointment for later this week. I hope I don't have to pay to get it fixed this time - it is no longer under warranty. More importantly, I hope they can really fix it this time.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Do I have a unique situation?
    Is it true that S80 uses GM transmission? Volvo is owned by Ford. I would expect S80 has Ford transmission, if not a Volvo transmission.
    The S80, and every other Volvo available today, was designed PRIOR to the acquisition by Ford (the XC90 wasn't finalized at that point). Volvo, like BMW, opted for a GM automatic because of GM's reputation for transmissions and the availabiity of a unit that would suit their unique needs.

The GM unit is used in S80 automatics only. The new 'R's use a Volvo developed 6-speed. Future models will probably use units from the newly formed Volvo/Getrag operation...

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
  • derekchoyderekchoy Posts: 36
    I too had the AM reception problem. Frankly, I don't listen to AM so it didn't bother me much. When I got engaged with my fiancee', she started driving the S80 and complained that the AM reception is poor. I brought it to a dealership close-by and they claimed to have fixed it. My fiancee' stopped complaining too so I guess it was fixed at that point. It was at 45k miles.

Then close to 60k miles, she complained that the AM reception is poor again. This time I brought it back to a dealership that I trust and they said that the AM attenna was defective and it's a known problem. They fixed it but charged me $190 for labor+parts. Oh well, I hope it's truly fixed this time.
  • derekchoyderekchoy Posts: 36
    I want to install HomeLink to my 1999 S80 2.9 that didn't come with that option. I am looking for an aftermarket homelink device that fits the S80.

Does anyone know if there is such a device and where I can get it? Is it difficult to DIY the homelink?

Thanks!
    I see. That's interesting. Thanks for the info. Are there any other major components on S80 that are made by domestic automaker?
    Hi kiiwii. I can't think of anything else significant that is of domestic origin in the S80. There are many things non-Swedish but they are mostly German (engine management system, components of engine design, ZF steering for 2004 models, etc.)

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
    Thanks again. We currently have a 960 with over 100,000 miles on it and thinking about getting a replacement. S80 is our first choice. 960 isn't a perfectly reliable car, but it is as safe as a tank =) We had 2 major accidents, and no one in the car had a scratch!! There are some nice incentive offered on S80 these days.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Overall, I have been very happy with my S80-T6. But it does have chronic light bulb failures, from the headlights to the position lights in the rear. Almost all of the time, I have a warning message about a bulb out somewhere. Is this normal or do I have some kind of surge problem with the car? Dealer is unresponsive. I have learned how to change most of them myself, except the headlight, by necessity.
    Regarding post #1203:

This was a common occurance on early S80s (mostly 99 and 2000 models but maybe some early 2001 as well?)

There's a well known FREE fix available through the dealers (they should all know the TSB for it). It calls for new wiring harnesses for the headlights and is usually done in about an hour or so. If you dealer doesn't claim to know anything about it call another one and consider using them for future repairs (or if they are too far away then try to use them at least this time to get the lightbulb issue solved.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
    I shall look into it.
  • I'm interested in buying a 1999 S80 2.9 Sedan.
    Carmax has it priced as $14,998. Is this vehicle worth purchasing? I would like a car that does not require weekly maintenance...
    From what I have heard this vehicle is unreliable. Please help me buy your opinions and facts.
    I wouldn't call it a Toyota either. My problems have been A/C, sunroof leaking and bulbs burning out. Very nice car though.
  • esommeresommer Posts: 24
    I have researched a new visor w/Homelink for my 1999 S80. Dealer wants $230 for the part. I have found the same part on-line from a dealer in Texas for $180. I think the name of the Texas Dealer is Richardson Volvo. To change out the visor is a simpler process. Carefully pry the plastic trim from the headliner and remove the 2 screws that hold the visor bracket. Then unplug the wire and replace w/ new visor. Appears to be a 10 minute job. Make sure that the dealer has the correct interior code for your car. There are a few different interior color combinations. Please write if you find this Homelink visor for less than $180. Thanks!
    I haven't priced it there but Borton Volvo is known for their discount mail parts operation (I've bought other parts like navigation system remote controls). I highly recommend you give them a call or visit their website (www.bortonvolvo.com).

Thanks.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net

rdollie@att.net
    I have dealt with Volvo of Richardson before. It has, BY FAR, the WORST service and parts department. I have found many similar complains on the web about Volvo of Richardson. Make sure they are selling you a new part, not a used, recycled, or rebuilt part. BE CAREFUL!!