Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• davantdavant Posts: 294
    The owners manual on our '04 S-80 2.9 suggests a minimum of 91 octane. Since there are three choices, 87, 89, and 93 octane, I recommend Premium. Even with soaring prices the extra few dollars is worth not worrying if I'm inducing any problems. I could probably get by with mid-grade and save about $60 a year or double that with regular. Is that possibly worth the headache of a sputtering, knocking engine or worse even though I have a zero deductible 100K Volvo mile warranty? I think not! Premium cars deserve premium treatment. It'll probably run on kerosene if you add enough alcohol, don't be so cheap, LOL.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    If you're so cheap you won't buy Premium fuel when your car requires it, you're driving the wrong car for you. You should have a Focus.
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,013
    recommends and requires!
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 302
    So, is it "required" to feed S80 with premium gas? I asked several dealers, every salesman told me that all S80s drink regular fuel. I dunno if that's true. I have a 960. It's basically the same 2.9 engine used on S80. My 960 MUST have premium fuel. I tried regular+ few times, and the engine was making a weird whispering noise.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Volvo doesn't "require" prem fuel.
    However, in order to reach the stated horsepower/fuel economy numbers premium fuel is necessary.
    Your 960's engine management system lacked the ability to deal with lesser fuels effectively.
    The S80 does, but it becomes a less capable car because of it.
    If saving 20c a gallon is that important go ahead and use 89 octane. Personally I wouldn't.
    I stand by my statement. It is inconsistent to desire a Premium car, and be too cheap to feed it what it was designed to drink. That's poserville.
    What if it told on those who cheated? It could be now and we not know about it. I always use Premium but it's possible the dealership might know you use regular before you bring it in for sputtering. So what? The service provider might greet you with, "Hi, we know all about it, we think it's the fuel you're using but we'll check it out." I'm sure VADIS saves settings and On Call can pass info so this isn't as ridiculous as it seems.

All salesman agree on regular because saving you money sells more units. Rephrase the question as, "Does Volvo recommend always putting regular gas in my $48K S-80 T6 I'm about to pay cash for?" and see what the answer is. I bet the BMW and M-B dealerships seldom get asked about regular. Any gasoline fueled auto will run on regular but higher end cars are performance optimized for high quality fuels. Besides, our 2.9 needs all the help it can get from premium. You are the master of your destiny at the pumps, wallet willing. Do you want whispers and chuckles when you go in for service?

Going one step further in this On Call Plus paranoia, others could be listening to every word you say in the car and tracking your movements. This info could be used by agencies for marketing, demographics studies, travel habits, warrants, etc. They already know the inside & outside temps, if the doors are locked, airbag status (I read that as health of mother-in-law) and your location. Behave yourselves and pick whatever grade fuel keeps you humming along smoothly but remember that even when you are alone in your Volvo...you might not be.
    Vadis certainly saves the info on fuel performance.
    I doubt that On-Call Plus reports though. Maybe the next generation will :)
    Seriously, Volvo's have high compression engines and that means prem fuel.
    BMW and M-B owners aren't as cheap as Volvo owners( sorry frugal), so the fuel issue doesn't come up.
    Thank you for the reply.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for the premium fuel. I just want to make sure what works the best. Believe it or not, premium doesn't always bring the best performance.

Car and Driver had a topic on fuel grade about two years ago. They used an Accord as the example. C&D's test found that the Accord performed a bit better with regular fuel than premium. It's pretty interesting =)
    because it's tuned for regular. Whatever grade the engine is tuned for, is what will bring optimum performance to the engine. I read that article also....

davant: You're hysterical!!!! I'm unplugging my On Star right now! Airbag indeed!
  • oldmanoldman Posts: 35
    No, I doubt that something "tuned for regular" would be the worse for higher octane blend. Actually , lower octane motor fuels burn with greater flash front speeds than higher octane fuels. They may also have greater net (delta H)heat content because of the isomers in lower grade fuels are more exothermic. Recall what raises octane, benzenes and toluenes, which have less energy content than the base stock isomeric mix. So, these considerations can sometimes result in greater power output from lower octane fuels. If the engine requires substantial timing advance to step up power levels, then one must use the slower burning higher octane to permit maximal timing advance. High compression may also lead to inaudible detonation which will trigger the knock sensor, retard timing, and detune spark advance. The best way is to conduct a dynomometer test and see what the system does.
    But it would be a rare surprise, to find an engine tuned for premium, that would deliver optimum performance on regular, don't you agree?
  • bradgogolfbradgogolf Posts: 1
    My throttle vanished. I'm not sure it was varnished but the sensor went to the tune of $850. This at 50954 miles and 4 years and 1 month. It was also on a trip and cost another overnight. Has anyone had luck pushing Volvo on the warranty?
  • oldmanoldman Posts: 35
    Absolutely nybanker.
  • eastcareastcar Posts: 6
    Any thoughts on switching to full synthetic oil, I have a 03 s80? thanks
    Never hurts.
  • edkunkeledkunkel Posts: 26
    Did you ever get an answer to the Sun Roof issue? Mine makes a mild wind noise now, I think it is the same problem.

Eric
  • Have a 2000 S80 2.9, 58K miles. FYI, only two problems: shake in steering column (a couple of failed fixes and finally fixed at 30K) and failure of cooling fan @ 40K (fixed).

Original equipment tires finally worn out. Anyone have any suggestions on what has worked well. Someone suggested Bridgestone Potenzas in a much earlier post. Anyone tried anything else?
  • airborne86airborne86 Posts: 2
    Hello!!!! I own a 1999 S80 and keep getting a open fill cap light message, has anyone had this happen to them?
    happens alot.
    First, ckeck the cap, make sure its not cracked or the seal is bad. If the caps ok, take the car to the dealer and have them check the fuel tank itself and the sensors.
    Sometimes it just a software glitch.
    The dealer should be able to re-program it.
  • dolphindolphin Posts: 71
    Davant, Just wondering which Volvo dealer you utilize. I am here in the Tampa Bay area and I have suffered with Volvo of Tampa Bay and Robert G Waters in Lakeland.
  • jcalagazjcalagaz Posts: 1
    I have never owned a Volvo and I have heard that the '99 and '00 S80s should be avoided ....any other things to know about the 2001s.....

Any info on reliability or issues would be GREAT.....

Thanks
    My business partner has an 01 with 70,000 miles. Only repairs have been Air Conditioning, a motor mount, and the famous, wiring harness issues. He counts it an excellent car.
  • I own 2000 S80 2.9 - 77K in 4 years and enjoy it tremendously.
    No major problems - a couple of bulbs, infamous sub frame bushing a noisy window motor in the driver's door.

All has been fixed under the warranty, in very accommodating manner.

The rest - is a pure enjoyment.
  • My 1999 has now had 2 transmissions in less than 2 years, one under warranty, the other cost me over $4000.00.

Also had to replace rack and pinion on the car less than 40,000 miles out of warranty because of age. Volvo supposely redesigned the part(s) the original estimate $1500 turned into $2700.

I have resently filed suit against Volvo and would like to hear from folks with similar experiences.
    I think those are GM transmission in the S-80, which is odd, but true. And, they rarely fail.
  • It's not too odd. GM transmissions were widly used on BMW in 90th.
    BMW transmissions were used in the 80's Peugeots too.
    Wow, I didn't know BMW uses GM transmissions! That's news to me. Why? Does GM make good auto parts? How's the GM transmission that Volvo uses in the S80? Are there other major parts in the S80 made by domestic auto?
    Dolphin,

Regarding my #1506, (gosh I can't believe somebody read all that) I'm about eight hours NW from you in Fort Walton Beach. Beal Parkway Volvo/Lincoln-Mercury is an outstanding dealership but minuscule compared to any in Tampa and I certainly don't think it's worth the trip unless you have family here. If this were Alabama that'd be a given as it seems they're all related...and are driving with handicapped license plates (redundant, IMHO), LOL. We have family in Daytona and car shopped there too. The tiny Daytona dealer recommended one in Orlando but I've forgotten the name. If you can stand the I-4 trek East maybe they offer a free Disney shuttle, best of luck.