Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• andruvandruv Posts: 6
    I bought a 2002 T6 5,000 miles ago, bought new in the belief (and HOPE) that the problems have been ironed out because i loved the car.

So far, so good.
  • Please anyone tell me how to turn off service reminder light.
    I tried, "turn ignition key to position I, push in and hold the odometer reset button (use your left hand), move the ignition key to position II, wait until you see the service light blinking, then release the odometer reset button." It did not work.
  • n0v8orn0v8or Posts: 169
    The trip meter has 2 modes, T-1 and T-2. You will see a little tiny T-1 or T-2 in the display. To change between modes, press and release the reset button. According to a post on Brickboard, the trip meter must be in T-1 to reset the service reminder.

Also, for 2002 models, the procedure is slightly different: Turn the key to position I.
    Press and HOLD the trip reset button while watching the trip display. When the miles reset to zero, turn the key to position II while holding the trip reset. Continue holding and watch the trip display. When the original mileage display returns, release the trip reset. Turn the key off, then back on and start engine. Service reminder should now be reset
  • bokenboken Posts: 3
    Well from reading the board, I now realize the 99 T6 is a terrible car but unfortunately I have it for now.

I have had a recurring problem that my tech guy can't seem to fix. Every so often, my entire dashboard instrumentation goes black after I receive every warning light knows to man includng brake failure, engine light etc. The first time it happened my dealer sooposedly replaced something on the computer board but now it has happened again three times. Has anyone else seen this problem??
  • shaunsshauns Posts: 24
    Stars be praised, I have one of the very last 1999 2.9s with 43K on the odo, and after the first 8K miles, totally uneventful driving. The
    1st 8K saw the front suspension ball joints and
    a torn (!) motor mount replaced, and the driver's seat snubber added to cure excessive rocking. But that's it.

I would agree with others on the net - that I'll be looking elsewhere for my next ride. A great freeway cruiser, but not enough road noise isolation, and basically boring handling dynamics. We'll see what the 2004 A6 looks like - or that 300HP HYBRID drive sports sedan Acura claims to be bringing to market in 2005. Fancy that - a "green" luxury car that's fun to drive! Earth-friendly technology years ahead of the quintissential safety-green car company!
  • We just got a 2002 S80 T6. I am considering getting a set of 4 snow tires and wheels. Does anyone have an opinion on what is good?

Also, does anyone have an opinion on the Michelin HX MXMV 225/50-17 tires that ame on the car? Wear, wet traction, etc.?

Thanks!
  • eitan1eitan1 Posts: 4
    Anyone having problems with their wipers leaving a film on their windshield or the blades dragging across the widnshield? I purchased a pre-owned 99 S80 and I think the dealer had to replace the widshield. Maybe the arms of the baldes are not set right or the wiper motor isn't operating correctly? I would appreciate whatever help anyone can give me with this.
  • gerry14gerry14 Posts: 12
    Not many alternatives with these dimensions. I replaced mine at 45000 miles and was told I had done well. Winters in Southern Indiana don't provide a real test for traction on snow and ice, but I thought the Michelins got a little dicey on wet pavement after 35000 miles. GP
  • n0v8orn0v8or Posts: 169
    I found the Volvo S80 OEM wipers to be unequivocal junk. I had the identical problems (chattering and film) with a brand new S80. With less than 200 miles on the odometer, I tried a new set of official Volvo blades (US$100 for the set at a dealer!), and they were even worse. I returned them and bought complete aftermarket assemblies (holder and blade) for $15 each, and both problems dissapeared. Now I buy good quality replacement blades every year for a few dollars instead of the high-priced trash Volvo sells.

The Trico holders do not have the plastic spoiler affixed to the driver's side, but I don't think I will drive at speeds in the USA where it would be helpful. I have not noticed any loss of wiper effectiveness at 75mph.
  • Thanks for the input. The Michelins look like good tires and seem to handle well. We only have about 600 miles on the car.

Have you used any snow tires?
  • kjewelkjewel Posts: 19
    Had same problem with my wipers on 2000 T6. I think the basic problem is too much pressure on the arms. I bent the arms away from the windshield (just a bit). It seems to have helped alot.
  • kjewelkjewel Posts: 19
    Anybody experiencing loud compressor on/off cycling noises? It sounds similar to idler pulley bearing noise but it only occurs w/AC. Comments welcome.
  • cet1stcet1st Posts: 17
    I've just traded a 2002 S80, T6 with 48K miles for a 2002 S80, T6 with 41 miles. I've noticed the following:
    1. Increase acceleration whether in 1st or 4th gear
    2. Better steering and cornering. Car feels lighter to handle than the 2000 model
    3. Same sound and features in stereo system
    4. Back seats folds down (not sure of 2000 model)
    5. Cruise control functions more accurately (does not drift +/- 2mph going thru mountains)
    6. Same gas mileage(Chicago to North Carolina - 27.6 mpg@ 65-70 mph. Hoping to improve with age
    7. Gas latch door must be activated to open from dash. Locks when car speed reaches 10mph
    8. Easier to wax due to removal of black mountings
    9. Garage opener standard equipment
    10. Will continue to use synthetic oil (changed after 3000 miles)
  • amazonamazon Posts: 293
    Yes, in a '00 S70. Exactly the symptom you're describing. They ended up replacing the compressor.
  • gerry14gerry14 Posts: 12
    No experience with snow tires, but on occasional winter trips to South Bend--read lake-effect snow capital of Indiana--I thought the Michelin Pilots performed reasonably well until the wear became excessive.
  • I am on my 2nd s80, T6. First one was a 99 and had the horrific transmission problems. The dealer ended taking it back and I made the huge mistake of agreeing to take a newer 2000 model. It is the running joke of my neighborhood/family of having it constantly serviced. I service it almost every month! I won't take the space up to list all the problems. I had have just about every one that is listed here! I am so tired of having such an unreliable car and want to buy an Acura MDX. I looked at current values and it looks like I will only be able to get $20K from the dealer and maybe $25 retail for it! I am so disgusted as the depreciation seems to have really plummeted this past year. I can only attribute it to other S80 owners rallying and bringing the numerous problems to the public's attention (I am included in this group). These problems have affected the value of my car now. I want desperately to get rid of this nightmare.

Can anyone offer specific advice on how to get Volvo to buy all of these problems back? I know that I need to write a letter to Volvo, but has anyone had any luck doing this. Remember, this will be the second S80 they are taking back.
  • petrie3petrie3 Posts: 47
    You've already had them take one back, so you may know all the methods already. In my case, I had many problems relating to the computer and electrical systems. I was making slow progress through the dealer and the regional rep. Finally, I got to a VCNA bigwig through a friend and told him my story. I emphasized the safety issues involved and that I had written letters to VCNA, BBB, NTSB, etc. that I was prepared to mail if I didn't get any satisfaction. The guy was pretty easy once I laid out my tale of woe. My suggestion, emphasize safety dangers and that you are prepared to write all the letters. Good luck.
  • pjipji Posts: 1
    Considering the 2002 S80 2.9L. Tested it - seems a little sluggish but otherwise seems to look good. Can I please have some feedback if you own one. Thanks
  • paltingpalting Posts: 26
    Had it as a loaner from the dealer when I took my T6 in for service. It's a nice car. However, it seems you have to drive with a lead foot to get it going with any pace.The good thing is, once you do that, it does go at a good clip. May have something to do with the adaptive transmission.
  • I live on the west coast of Michigan and we get a lot of lake effect snow (>100in. last season). I'm picking up a set of Hakkapeliitta Q next month for our S80 T6. Others have said this is the best choice. I did research on the web and tend to agree (do a search engine query). Hope this helps.