Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,016
    The front end looks like a BMW or a Pontiac.
  • You can not tell really. It has a plastic cover over the grill. Remember, this is a spy photo. You can only see the overall proportions.
    It looks that the roof line is more rounded, like the new S40.
  • heywood1heywood1 Posts: 847
    Let's hope it's the disguise. If this car ends up looking anything like a Grand Am or Grand Prix, I'm buying a close-out '06.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613
    I'm thinking that's just not a photo of the S80 at all. But I guess only time will tell.

In regards to any spy photo when the car is so heavily desguised, how the heck does the photographer know what it is anyway?

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• The photographers are tipped on what car is tested.
    I do think it's a Volvo. It has a very typical back panel, and all the cars usually very heavily disguised either with the aprons or plastic applications, some times even with the plywood extensions.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    It is not an S80. Its too small.
    More likely a new S60.
  • OK, I will keep looking :-(
  • ebechsteebechste Posts: 2
    I have got to tell everyone that my 2003 S80 T6 is the best car I have ever driven. I am at 20,000 miles with no problems (knock on wood). Would not recommend the GPS, only works in large cities, everywhere else is nearly blank!
  • Thanks, Edwin,
    It is nice to hear from a soul mate. I love my 2000 2.9 too.
  • carjarcarjar Posts: 2
    This past summer I purchased a 2001 S80. I am so very happy with this car. However, I have gotten stuck in the snow 3 times this winter. I am just wondering, is it better to drive in the "W" mode, or does that cut down on the momentum needed to get unstuck? Please help! Thanks!
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Posts: 139
    carjar, i believe that the "w" on the transmission, starts the car in a higher gear, thereby giving less torque when starting out. I'm not sure if the car starts in 2nd or 3rd, but i know its not 1st.
  • heywood1heywood1 Posts: 847
    What type of tires do you have on the car? If you're using (even only partially worn) all-seasons, it won't matter what transmission 'mode' you use. I highly recommend a set of (4) snow tires. I have Dunlop Wintersports on my T-6, and they've performed wonderfully this winter.
  • One piece of advise that might help - make sure that you switch DSTC/STC off, while you are trying to get out of t a snow pile. You might experience a strange situation, when you step on a gas, but your wheels are not spinning and not turning at all. That is a normal behavior for the STC portion of DSTC.

You need to switch it off so you can use the old "rolling" method of getting un-stuck in a deep snow.
  • itrollsitrolls Posts: 11
    New 2004 S80 T6 with climate package for 34,000 before tax, license.... It looks like a good deal, but these cars depreciate so fast...what do you guys think?
    i think, yes, they do depreciate fast.

as far as the deal? well, carsdirect says I can get an '05 for only about $3K more. Personally, for that difference, I'd probably opt for a year younger car.

By the way, i read recently on the leasing boards that Volvo is giving dealers $8K cash on 2005 S80 leases that are done through banks other than Volvo financing. I'd look into going that route and then buying the car at lease end. It may very well work out cheaper by taking advantage of that incentive.

I read it here.

And that was in response to message 17836 on that same board.

• itrollsitrolls Posts: 11
    what would be the cap cost and the residual purchase price on this deal? (assuming a 3 year lease, 12k/yr) Does this deal require any upfront payment.
    i'm not a dealer, salesperson, or even someone who leases. sorry.
    just trying to pass along some info.

• rautryrautry Posts: 1
    Thinking about buying 2000 s80 with 60000 miles anybody got any advice
    search this discussion for "used S80" and you'll see some back and forth with myself and a few S80 owners who were very helpful when I was considering a purchase.

• schnorgschnorg Posts: 1
    I have a bad back and drive a lot so I need a better car than what I have now. I have an '88 Volvo 740 and an '04 Volvo XC70, and we really have been very happy with both cars. So, I was very surprised when I started researching the S80s and found evidence of significant reliability issues. Most likely, I'm interested in the 2001 model (cost/age trade off); I don't need a turbo, so that's not a factor. Consumer Reports gives particularly poor ratings for Electrical and Body Integrity. I'm interested to hear what some of you think about this car. Is it solid and reliable like my 17 year old 740, or is it something I might regret?

Thanks!

Andy
  • If you are happy with your XC70 you should not worry about S80. The electrical system and a body are very similar if not nearly identical.
    I do not know where does CR get their data on body integrity, but my 2000 S80 is much more solid than any Toyota Camry or Honda Accord after 90K miles. And by 2001 most of the electrical problems have been corrected (though I did not have any).
  • I personlly do not trust comsumer reports. If I really care how many cup holders or how big they are, then maybe I will look at what CR had to say. But I think that their methods of reliability testing are faulty. Base your descisions on what magazines tell you(motor trend, car and driver, road and track, ect...). Or look at forums or online reviews. If CR had it their way, every body would be driving a camry or accord. But thats jsut my 2 cents.
  • Just had the battery and alternator replaced on my 2001 S80, and now the keyless remote, moonroof and security/interiors lights don't work. What happened??
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Car has to be rebooted.
    Lock car w/ remote. Wait 5 sec unlock w/ remote. Everything should work normally.
  • I can't lock car w/ remote ... remote is one of the things that doesn't work now. A dealership said to drive the car for a couple days so it can "relearn/reprogram" but to no good yet. PLEASE keep the ideas coming!
  • patg3patg3 Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 1999 S80 with 31,000 miles that appears to be in very good condition. One problem though it had a check engine light and the owner said that it just came on a couple of days ago. Of course, I took it to my mechanic and he checked out the car but when he hooked it up to his computer the system showed two codes 1171 and 1181, but his software does not tell him what they mean. I would like to avoid taking it to a Volvo dealer and paying a couple hundred dollars just to find out if I should buy the car.
  • edkunkeledkunkel Posts: 26
    I am tired of my S80 stereo. Any advice on an aftermarket sound system, perhaps one with navigation and satellite built in that would fit cleanly in the odd shaped opening in the dash?
  • edkunkeledkunkel Posts: 26
    Any advice on where to buy carpet mats for an s80? Ones with hold down holes, like the originals --
  • Yes, the Volvo Premium auto upgrade with Dolby Pro, which is second only to the Lexus Mark Levinson.