Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• zee6zee6 Posts: 1
    I'm new to the posting of messages but I have been reading the Boards since I bought my 2000 T6. I hate to rehash what has already been discussed but the repair bug is biting me as of late. Has anyone's T6 been diagnosed with a leak in the radiator? I have to closely monitor the antifreeze level in the reservoir, and the dealer said I might have a leak. I would welcome your comments. Also, has anyone replaced the 55W headlight bulbs themselves? Where did you get the bulbs and how much and did they last?
  • n0v8orn0v8or Posts: 169
    I change them myself, and often.

The replacements from my friendly Volvo dealer last 3-6 months, and the ones from Walmart (half the price) last 6-12 months. In general, twist off the plastic cap, pull off the connector, undo the retainer clip, and withdraw the bulb. Hints . . .
    (1) The connector takes a lot more force to remove than you might expect; wear work gloves.
    (2) There is not much room for your fingers; I use long-nose pliers to undo the retainer clip.
    (3) Use clean cotton or throw-away plactic gloves to handle the new bulb. Body oils will considerably reduce service life if you contact the glass with bare skin.
  • I've just bought an S80 2000 with 89k miles. While the test rides at the dealer felt smooth, I start feeling the vibrations (apparently coming from the transmission) during the shift from 2nd to 3rd gear now. It looks like the same issue as described in #1299 and #1300.
    Has anybody any thoughts about this issue? I have a limited (1 month) warranty from the dealer, so I'd like to know what I can expect.
    Thanks.
  • I have another question regarding my "new" S80 (2000 T6, 89k miles). The noise from the engine is much louder when idle and in low rpm than when above approx. 1k rpm. It's simply a very deep sound that goes away when I kick the accelerator. Is the exhaust system going? Or is this common for the S80 T6? The engine runs very smooth. I love this car, I'm just starting getting affraid of additional servicing costs ...
  • 1) Have car in currently waiting for a part (control arm and bushing). This piece apparently became bent enough to cause some rubbing when I initially put the car in gear or put some torque on it when just starting out. Is this covered under warranty. Have 24,500 miles on car and have extended warranty.

2) 30,000 mile maintenance - should I follow the mfg. recommendations on all items to be done or checked? If so, what would you expect the ballpark bill for this service to be?

3) Does Volvo reguire that Volvo dealers all follow some sort of pricing guidelines for work performed or can Volvo dealers charge whatever they choose?

Thanks.
  • I don't know if I had the exact same problem you're describing. My 1999 S80 2.9 hesitated and shifted roughly when I shifted from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd at high rpm (flooring it), especially under high torque condition (uphill start with full acceleration). The problem started at 35k miles.

At the point where you would expect it to shift, it hesitated and vibrated a little bit before it would go on the next higher gear.

I had an excellent dealer which is Lawrence Volvo at Walnut Creek, CA. My very knowledgeable and friendly service advisor Paolo was able to duplicate the problem right away. He called Volvo and Volvo suggested a solenoid replacement. He explained that it would be a waste of time to replace just the solenoid so Volvo agreed to a full tranmission replacement. He ordered the parts and got the work done in 2 days under warranty. Ever since the tranny was replaced, I'm at 70k miles now and I've never had the problem again. !

Good luck!
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    1 depends on what caused it to bend.
    If you hit something, no its not covered.
    If its a defect then its covered.

2 Do the 30K. Plug replacement, tire rotation, filter replacement all worthwhile.

3 There are 2 components to service pricing.
    One is the parts cost, which is set by Volvo, plus the dealer markup. Second is the labor time for each operation. Also set by Volvo. Each dealer has there own hourly rate.
    If Volvo says that it takes 1.0 hrs to replace a control arm then you pay 1 hrs labor @ the dealers rate.
    Volvo doesn't get involved in what the dealers charge for service.
  • My Volvo dealer has been unable to solve this problem since February on my 2000 S-80, T-6. My "Check Engine" light comes on along with the message "Emission System Service Required". He has replaced the Oxygen Sensor three times and the Mass Air Flow Sensor once. Within 50 miles, however, the "Check Engine" light and the message come back on. Otherwise the car is fine. I have about 48,000 miles. Has anyone had a similar experience?
  • I was at the dealership and saw something about Premier model. Has this been around or new for 04?

Thanks.
  • Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat -- Our topic tonight is "Warranties: Are they worth it?"

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Has been around for a cople of years.
    It used to be called the Executive, and last year it was the 75th Anniversary model.
    Basically, you get 2 TV's mounted in the headrests, a DVD player, an optional refigerator and a few other toys.
  • I just missed the discussions on warranties unfortunately. However, I am wondering where I can purchase warranties if I don't go with the CPO from dealership. BTW, I am looking at buying a 99 S80T. I like them alot but I am thinking after reading several posts I should get either a CPO or the gold warranty I have heard of? Can someone point me in the right direction. I am located in Minnesota.
  • Welcome to Town Hall, djdanger. You might want to check out the Finance, Warranty & Insurance message board, where others are talking about warranty purchases. There's even a discussion dedicated to Extended Warranties. Good luck!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have had this message for several months now. It was related to the white lights above the license plate. I changed it and still have the message. Other than taking it to a dealer -- over an hour away and horrible hours -- any ideas?
  • The DSTC (DTSC- whatever) light and the DSTC Service Required has come on about once a month since I've owned the car -- about 8 months. In the last month, it's come on closer to once a week. It always goes away when I start the car the next time.
    The car is a 2001 S80 2.9 with 32,000 miles.
  • I am stationed in Germany and have a 2001 S80. Does anyone have any suggestions on finding an independent certified mechanic that might not charge me $500 for a routine service?
    I'm in Ansbach -- near Nurnberg, just in case anyone knows anything specific. Thanks.
  • n0v8orn0v8or Posts: 169
    This message usually means a bad (or soon to be bad) tail light bulb or poor bulb-to-socket connection. Look carefully, at night, at the tail lights. Because each side has 2 bulbs, it can be difficult to see when just one is out or dimmer than its "twin".
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 283
    ...just curious to see what you guys think. The new 04 S80 has LED brake lights. I know it's much durable than the "regular" bulbs. In case if LED bulbs do break, would it be expensive to fix? Do you just replace one single broken bulb or the entire set?
  • I have a '00 S80 2.9 closing in on both the 4 yr and 50K mark. It hasn't been perfect, but it's been pretty good. Really only 3 problems: (a) clicking from steering column (fixed on second try after first replacing the steering column and then putting some kind of grease in the splines), (b) failure of electric fan at ~45K miles (fixed very quickly by dealer), (c) broken front headlight (annoying because of $350 part cost and $100 labor cost). All in, not terrible for 4 years...though a little nervous now as I go naked off warranty. On balance, quite like the car and hope that I can drive it for another 4 years.

I think that have a very good dealer is critical. I don't think that I would drive Volvos without a dealer that I trusted who was responsive to my problems.
  • Did you change both bulbs? The way that sensor works (at least in the older Volvos, and I have no reason to believe it has changed) is that it senses a difference in impedance between the two bulb positions. Two bulbs of different brands can cause this impedance mismatch and keep the light on. This drove me batty in my '89 740 until I figured it out. Change BOTH licence plate bulbs with two of the same manufacturer and wattage; I'm willing to bet this will take care of your problem.