Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• I have had many problems with my 2001 S80's climate control. It was replaced once, and had all the motors replaced for the baffles. I now have a constant clicking noise coming from within the climate control. It occurs every 10 seconds. It usually happens when the outside temperature is around 70. Has anyone else had this problem? The dealer (Volvo Service) cannot seem to fix this issue. :confuse:
  • The rear driver side door will not unlock with remote, or driver door unlock. I can hear a 'thunk' sound, like it is trying to unlock but nothing happens. However, once manually unlocked the door will lock with the remote or driver door lock. Dealer recommends replacing solenoid ($350.00+), says the labor involved in removing the door panel and diagnosing problem would cost just as much. Any advice?
  • I am considering a used 2000 S80 2.6 with 100,000 miles. The owner has had the 90,000 mile service done as well as 2 new front struts and the timing belt replaced. I am familiar with Volvos as we own the following '96 960, '04 S80, '05 S60 2.5T, and until my daughter drove it into a utility pole on Friday, a '98 S70. While I am very satisfied with my '04 S80, I am leery of the first few years. The car will be driven by my two daughters about 10,000 miles a year for the next 5 years. I would appreciate any and all opinions about this.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    As with any older car, it is a good idea to make sure the maintenance is up to date, which seems to be the case here.
    It is also a good idea to have the car inspected by a trained Volvo technician.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    A reporter with a national newspaper is hoping to talk with consumers who have received or are giving a luxury car as a gift for Christmas. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 8, 2006 with your daytime contact info.

Thanks,

Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 302
    If I were you, I wouldn't get a 2000 S80 for my family. It took Volvo 4-5 years to get the S80 barely to average reliability. Also, do a search, I remember there was a airbag design flaw with the early S80. I may be wrong, I don't believe there was a recall on the airbag problem. You should be able to find some info from government crash test website.
    There was nothing wrong w/ the airbag.
    IIHS complained that the gasses from the bag could singe the hands of the driver, so the bag vents were re-designed.
  • Hi Everybody

I had a bad experience last nite when my 1.5 yr old S80 died suddenly in the middle of a drive. This afternoon, I just had a call from Volvo workshop and they told me that this is due to the fuel quage indicator not working - the tank was empty despite it showing half tank. I wonder is anybody had the same experience.

Eric
    Yikes, that's scary! Is fixing the gauge all that will need to be done, or was anything damaged?
  • voxboyvoxboy Posts: 30
    I haven't been happy with the rear/side visibility of the S60s I've been testing. Are the S80s only marginally better?
  • I have the same complaint about my S70. I recommend that you test drive the S80 to find out. Otherwise, you will need to go with one of the XC70, XC90, or V70 suv/wagons which are great driving vehicles with good visibility.
    if there was nothing wrong, it wouldn't need to be fixed. if it needed to be redesigned, there was something wrong.
    There are design changes made all the time.
    It doesn't mean there was anything wrong.
    The S80 bag was essentially the same as the bag on the 850 and S70.
    It served for years without ANY complaint or issue.
    The main reason for the redesign is due to sensor problems. The bags deploy in very minor frontal hit. I don't remember the numbers, but the bags will pop at something like 5 or 10 mph frontal bump.
    Wrong!
    The bags only deployed if the seat belt was undone.
    The g-load on the sensor was such that the system thought the collison speed was higher than it was, since the driver was unbelted the bag was deployed at low force to keep the driver from eating the steering wheel.
    This was only an issue during the useless IIHS bumper test.
  • billodbillod Posts: 31
    I recently bought a 2003 S80 T6 with 40K miles. All systems checked out okay. However, I noticed that the brake pedal travel is quite long and mushy feeling. The brake fluid is up to the top and the pads are in good shape. Any thoughts on why the brake pedal feel is mushy feeling? Thanks, Bill
    sure, that's a useless test.

sounds like a kid who failed algebra test and told the teacher that algebra is useless. get real.
    Yes it is useless.
    It has nothing to do with safety.
    It just tells the Ins co how much they have to pay to replace a bumper.
    Euro cars always do poorly on this bogus test because the European regs require a soft nosed car in order to pass the pedestrian hitting test.
    Please do some research before you spout off.
    Do either you or kiiwii have any suggestions for billod, "Volvo S80" #2052, 22 Dec 2006 5:48 pm?
    Maybe the system needs to be bled.
    Is the pedal mushy all the time, or only sometimes?
    If it is mushy all the time, take a look at the brake booster.
  • I have a 2000 s80 t6 with the HU-801 audio system in it and out of no where all my speakers except the dolby surround sound speaker in the dash are out and im smelling a little burnt plastic does anyone have any input about what it could be and where the ampliphier is located in the car.
  • I also have a little bit of a power loss problem my turbo spools then cuts out 2 or 3 times through one gear i was told that it could be my boost sensor sticking is that possible let me know if any one has any input thanks
  • jnguyjnguy Posts: 3
    I reply to replacement of engine mounts under recall. I did not receive any such notice and did not see any posted under NTHSA recalls. I would be very interested in getting this recall information which I think Volvo should fix with their upper and lower engine mounts.. as I myself have had problems. There was a recall for some parts with the fan system which could lead to overheating.
    most of the 5 mph crash testing is done on the rear bumper here in US. lighten up.
    It's time to let this go.
  • I love it. It looks mint. It has a factory replaced motor. 93,000 on car. 12,000 on motor. Everything works, for now from what i hear. Can you tell me what to watch out for. Know any good links to service manauls or anything would be appreciated. I'm definately keeping it.
    By now, all the upgrades should have been done.
    Jus common things to watch out for, CV joints, bushings, the upper torque mount.
    If it is a turbo, watch out for the rubber seals on the turbo oil lines, they can leak sometimes.
  • bill_lbill_l Posts: 38
    I'm thinking to buy an 05' S80 2.5T w/ extended 4yr warranty. I test drove it and found the steering wheel vibrates pretty obviously (seems +/- 1.5mm) when the car is at idle, but nothing can feel when driving even at low speed. Anyone has similar problem? Could it be fixed by dealor and how? Any information will be highly appreciated.
    Sounds like the upper torque mount needs to be replaced.
  • bill_lbill_l Posts: 38
    Thanks a lot! By the way, Since it is only 2yrs old and has only 35K miles on it, do you have any idea about what could be the root reason that causes upper torque mount needing to be replaced? What could be the worst consequence if not replace it? How much it could cost and could it be covered by the factory warranty?

Thanks a lot again.