Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When is it time to get rid of an old car?

2»

Comments

• fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    But getting all of that cocoon crap off of them is a bear...
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,004
    Well, a non-running 940 wagon would probably bring around $500 on eBay or Craigslist. So, if you think it will last at least a few months longer, and possibly a lot longer, you might consider just driving it until it won't drive anymore, and selling it at that point.
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    I hope you got some professional advice when you put the Camry in storage. Letting a car sit unused could create more problems than running the old Volvo. It was a problem even before E10 gas became the norm and that has added its own problems. If it hasn't been done, put some Stabil for ethanol fuels in the tank. Mix some in a gas can with a gal of fuel, pour in the tank, start engine and run in driveway. Really, there are a lot of things that should be done to put a car in storage long-term.
  • I am retiring my trusty '92 Subaru Legacy wagon- Hoping to get $500 for it.

Its got 315,000 on the clock, w/ original tranny and engine, in fact I've done very little to it in the last 215k.

The car needs a timing belt and oil change, windshield is cracked, sun visors broken, paint is peeling in places and the drivers window does not open. It would make a great Island car.

I finally decided I got my $3,800 worth out of it (thats what I paid back in Y2K)

I hope the 07 Sienna I picked up is at least half the car as the '92 Subaru.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I am retiring my trusty '92 Subaru Legacy wagon ... Its got 315,000

That averages out to about 2 miles per hour! ;)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    If you take care of the Sienna it should be fine. They do use them as NYC Taxicabs you know :)
  • That averages out to about 2 miles per hour!

I guess It makes sense, I drove it about 65 miles a day for work (including commute) 5 days a week. Its pretty amazing how little $ I had to put into it.
  • jprocjproc Posts: 133
    Thats a lot of miles! I have an 00 Sienna with 138k on the clock.Its been terrific so far so you should be fine with an 07 for a long time.I intend to keep the Sienna at least til the 180k marker and then think about it as a lot of maintenance is due then (timing belt,spark plugs,filters,fluids etc)

Did you follow the recommended maintenance on your suburu or after a certain point just let it go? The recommended maintenace on my sienna at 180k will probably be $1,500 or so.
    We've seen Siennas sail past 250k, I have one with 172k on it at the auction right now that runs beautifully.

Right now new 2010 Siennas are pretty much gone, there's very few left so realistically you'd be looking at a 2011 in the spring, probably at sticker or darn close to it based on the last couple of times Honda or Toyota brought out a new van.

If another 50k miles of use out of your current van will cost you $2k in maintenance, then... that's a lot less than a fraction of the depreciation on a new van.

On the other hand, you'll be getting to the point where one major failure will "total" your van and you won't have the latest and greatest.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Right now new 2010 Siennas are pretty much gone, there's very few left so realistically you'd be looking at a 2011 in the spring, probably at sticker or darn close to it based on the last couple of times Honda or Toyota brought out a new van.

You must mean 2009 Siennas are pretty much gone. As for gettng sticker on new model Sienna or Ody's, that seems doubtful as minivan sales have plummeted while crossovers have taken their place. Personally I would much rather prefer a minivan over a cramped crossover.
    No I mean 2010 Siennas.

2009 Siennas have been gone for months.

And I know of a couple of Sienna models that, if you can find one right now, sell for very close to MSRP.
  • The 92 subi was maintained fairly well until the past year or 2- still changed the oil every 7k. Those cars just go! It needs a timing belt and oil change now. Somebody will want it as a town or island car.

Sienna prices and availability seem to vary significantly by region. There are deals out there if you are patient and willing to pay shipping. My 07 is out of a So. Calif dealership, Seattle prices are much higher.
2»
This discussion has been closed.