Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Legend

Comments

• goralgoral Posts: 138
    I think I already mentioned to you (on other board) that my '91 L Sedan w/ 120K is looking for a new owner. For ~$100 or so, you can pick up a one way plane ticket to Chicago, and drive it back :)
    Seriously though... I think $8K for the '92 (with this many miles) is little too much.
    I would be willing to let mine go for ~$5500.
    As far as reliability goes, these cars will easily run past 200K.
    As a matter of fact, someone spotted a '91 Legend used as a taxi (in Chicago). Guess what the miles were...??? Over 400K - on original engine/transmission!!!
    In case you haven't found this site - check out:
    forums.legend.org.
    The best legend forum on the net!
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Posts: 121
    Thanks for the info about the Legend forum. I'll check it out. The local paper has a '95 Legend L with 110K miles for sale by owner at $12K. The owner will let it go for $11.5K. The car looks clean and has been serviced by a local Acura dealership since he purchased it. Is that a good price ($11.5K)?
    There is (soon "was") a '95 Legend w/ 68K miles on eBay. Starting bid - 11K. You might want to check it out (located in PA).

Regarding that '95 w/ 110K for $11,500 - I still think the GS would be a better buy. If you put average miles on your car, with that GS it would take you 4-5 years to get to 110K... All for a "mere" $3K (which would be a normal yearly depreciation on a car like that).
    Besides, GS is more sought after than L (because of the engine).
    Thanks for the input. I agree with you. There are not many GS Legends on the streets, so I do enjoy being a bit unique here. :) In fact, I am going to pick up the GS when the check I gave the owner clears. The owner seems to be an honest guy. I had questions about paint repairs in one area of the car. He just said let's take it to the nearby Acura dealership for a 2nd opnion.

The GS does cost more to insure...
    I just picked up my '94 Legend GS today. On my way home, I stopped by a Shell gas station to get gas (full service in NJ). One of the attendants saw my car and came over to ask about my car. I told him it's a '94. He seems surprised. :) I am very satisfied with my Legend and had an excellent experience dealing with the owner.

The car is fast and stable at 70~80 mph. Now, not many cars can push me around. :)
  • cristie1cristie1 Posts: 1
    Hi!
    Just sold my Toyota mommy-van, and bought a 94Legend L. 113k, paid 10k. The power locks on both of the back doors are not operable. Has anyone fixed this and what was your cost? Other than that she is in grt shape/all maint. records from the beg. Reliability ratings are awesome on this car, so why is it she sort of has a rep for being finicky?
    Let me know! I just love her.
    Get used to people being surprised... IMO, the car's exterior design is timeless!!!

cristie1
    The car has very good reliability, but it's not perfect! Most likely it will never leave you stranded due to some catastrophic failure, but there are quite a few "little" annoyances about it.
    In case of my '91, I just noticed the radiator's top is cracked and needs replacement. No biggie - $114 for the radiator (from eBay, sold by radiator.com) and I will either replace it by myself (time pending) or my mechanic will do it for $50... Same goes for things like power window switch (changed mine), CV boot(s) (changed mine), transmission mounts, wheel speed sensor(s) (too lazy to change in my car :) )...
  • hyiuhyiu Posts: 18
    hi all:

to a previous post about radiator leaks... I have $0.02 cents of experiences and would like to share...

I also have it before, the radiator leaks near where the cap is. My mechanic (who used to work in Acura dealer) told me because it is some kind of plastic (or plastic like material), it tends to crack and leak like that once its old (mine is 93 legend coupe and I replaced it about 2 yrs ago). He said if you replace it with an original Acura one again, it'll happen again around the same age. He recommended replacing with a metal one and he said it'll not happen again. Well, its only been 2 yrs, but so far, so good...
    :-)

and yes.... when I first bought my 93 legend coupe and when I park, people would say "nice car!"... and I have got notes stuck on my windshield leaving me a number if I want to sell, call them, and funniest thing is my mom never understand why the legend would get compliements like that and she wouldn't when she's driving her brand new Volvo... haaa haaa haaa.....
    (well.... not that Volvo is not good.... but just not as eye catching as a Legend Coupe....)
    :-)
    Where did you get the metal cap? Can I get it from Acura?

BTW, my Legend does not have the trunk CD changer installed. A local Acura dealership is asking ~$500 for an Acura 6-disk CD changer. Can I get an OEM one for say ~$300?
  • hyiuhyiu Posts: 18
    Hi tcpip1:

Sorry... I think there's some mis-understanding... I mean the my radiator was leaking before near the cap (on the top of the radiator)... so, when car is cold, it won't leak, but after it warmed up on a hot day, the coolent boiled and it will start a slow leak...

I didn't just replace the cap, but I replaced the whole radiator. The original Acura radiator's material is like some kind of plastic... My mechanic told me not to install that and replaced mine with a metal one. that metal radiator is not from Acura.
  • newpcguynewpcguy Posts: 4
    I have an 1988 Legend LS with 215,000 miles. For the first time, the engine temperature climbed to nearly the red, the engine ran very rough, and lots of dark gray smoke blew out the back. It started when I had been stuck for 15 minutes in a parking garage on a fairly steep down ramp and had been running the air conditioning, but the outside temperature was only in the seventies. Fortunately, it didn't overheat. After I got out of the garage, I shut off the engine and checked the oil on the level and the coolant, and both were well above the minimum mark. Then I started the engine with no problem, but the temperature was still near the red until I pulled away. I was immediately driving at highway speeds, and in five seconds the temperature gauge dropped to normal. The car hasn't behaved like this since. Does anyone have any idea what caused this and how likely it is to recur?
  • newpcguynewpcguy Posts: 4
    I am contemplating adding a towing package to my automatic Legend, which has the older 160 hp engine. I want to occasionally tow a 4 x 6 trailer with a few bales of hay or perhaps even my garden tractor. Has anyone done any towing with their Legend, and what was the result? My engine has 230K miles on it, and I don't want to damage it. On the other hand, I'm thinking of purchasing a 1991 Legend with the 200 h.p. engine which has 130K miles on it--would the trailer be okay to tow with that?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I had just about the same episode with my 1987 Maxima way back when. It acted the same way with the air running and yet after taking off from the light all was ok.......never happened again through out the cars life. Hmmmm....

M
  • eeoreeor Posts: 7
    hi! legends seem like really good cars, judging by this forum, so i'm curious- is this car a good deal:

1992 acura legend gs, 80,000 miles, $10,000

Driver's Side Air Bag; Passenger's Side Air Bag; Cruise/Speed Control; Defroster, Rear; Locks, Power Door; Seat, Power Driver; Seatbelts, Front Shoulder; Seatbelts, Rear Shoulder; Steering Wheel, Tilt; Sunroof, Power; Tire, Full Spare; Windows, Power; Anti-Lock Brakes; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; Cruise Control; Rear Window Defroster; Power Seats; Power Door Locks; Power Mirrors; Power Windows; Power Steering; Sunroof/Moonroof; Theft Deterrent System; Tinted Glass; Tilt Steering Wheel;

that's the ad. now i'm fairly certain there is no such thing as a legend gs. i'm thinking it's an "l" series, judging by the options. manual, cloth seats and tape deck, too, i'll bet.

if i buy, is it due for any major repairs? anything i should look for? i can't afford to not have a car in perfect working order for at least a few more months.

love,
    eor
    Yeap, no such a thing as a '92 GS...
    Major maintenance - the only thing you should be aware is the timing belt / water pump replacement, which should be done @ ~90K miles (~$700-$800 when performed by the dealer).
    Major repairs - check the radiator top for cracks, transmission mounts, power window master switch...
    i now have comfirmation that it's an automatic.

goran- thanks for the heads up. i think 10k miles is enough for me to save up for repairs.

a certain site with the words "car" and "point" in the title had this to say about the 92 legend- cany truth to this?

engine-
    significant problems- A common problem on this vehicle is failure of the Vehicle Speed Sensor, and a periodic problem is failure of the Ignition Control Module. Failure of the Ignition Control Module may prevent the vehicle from starting.The cost to repair the Vehicle Speed Sensor is estimated at $270.00 for parts and $45.50 for labor.The cost to repair the Ignition Control Module is estimated at $231.00 for parts and $26.00 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

brakes-
    moderate problem- An occasional problem on this vehicle is failure of the ABS Pressure Switch.The cost to repair the ABS Pressure Switch is estimated at $308.00 for parts and $40.00 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax

air conditioning-
    moderate problem- This vehicle was originally charged with R-12 refrigerant which is no longer being manufactured. The refrigerant is still available, but it is very expensive ($25.00-$50.00 per pound, 2-5 pounds per vehicle). Conversion to the new R-134A refrigerant is possible, at an average cost of about $200-$350 parts and labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

i kinda think that carpoint don't really know what they are talking about, generally, but it's better i find out now. any help is appreciated. thanks.

love,
    eor
    re: the value-

i've seen the listed value of a 92 legend vary from as low as 7500 to close to 14000. what's the deal? (i checked kbb, edmunds, carpoint and some other used car sites)

thanks
    I just bought a '94 GS. I read the same comments on carpoint as well. You can check out

http://forums.legend.org/Forum1/HTML/010717.html

to see what kind of problems that the 2nd generation Legends may have.

• aculexaculex Posts: 25
    My '86 Legend's temp gague ran up to red a few years ago and that was because one of the fans (there are 2 - one for radiator and other for A/C condensor) failed. I let it cool anddrove to my mechanic.. He bought a replacement from a local junk yard that 'warranted' it for 30 days and it cost very little to replace. You should check the fan and make sure it's working properly.

My question:

Can anyone tell me how I can disable the ABS system in my car? I also have a 90 Legend Coupe with a failing ABS system (pressure switch?) that makes a LOUD jackhammer-like noise until it fails completely and the Anti-Lock light goes on. I would rather it just stopped working permanently. I would appreciate any advice on that.

Thanks!
    For what it's worth - on my '91 w/ 121K miles, I haven't had ANY of these problems.
    My ABS doesn't work, but it's because of faulty wheel speed sensor - $120 part + couple 1-2 hours labor...