Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Legend

Comments

• andmoonandmoon Posts: 320
    Hi,
    My 94 gs sedan developed a leak at the junction of the master cylinder and brake booster. I have bought and replaced the mastercylinder. The part that puzzles me is the other resevoir on the passengers side. I know it is the ABS but how do I flush that curcuit? Have I done the lines by bleeding the drivers side MC? I am tempted to syphon out the fluid in the rt side resevoir and replace with fresh fluid and leave it at that but that resevoir has to lead to some lines and I would like to flush that as well.

Thanks,
    Don
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi andmoon - while you are waiting for some responses here why don't you crosspost in Got a Quick, Technical Question? as well.

Let us know how it turns out.
  • tjepptjepp Posts: 7
    Hey ANDMOON, I don't have any info on the brakes but you might try forums.legend.org (no www). That site is very technically informative and they have links to other informative sites as well. I enjoyed your post on the way you changed your timing belt and water pump. Tell me, do you have to drain the radiator fluid/water when you replace the pump? If so how would I go about doing that?

ACURAPASSION97
      Check out posts 215,121,123,124,53,and 40 in this forum for some info. Hope it helps.

LGNDLVR3
       Your door lock actuator is starting to go. I don't know how to replace that, sounds like a trip to the mechanic. It's common with the 2nd generation Legends.

COUPEDNCAL
        I've come across a few 94-95 5-speeds in L trim in my search, none in LS trim though. And about 10-15% of the GS trim out there are 6-speed. Good luck in your search, they help use the engine powerband more efficiently and get a little better gas mileage too.
  • When shopping for a used Legend, I see quite a few ads posted mentioning engine replaced at xxx miles. Is it just my impression or the ratio of such replacement jobs are higher on 91-95 (type I and type II) models ? If so, is it higher or lower for type II series engines ?

And thanks Tjepp for your feedback.
  • Can anyone advise me how to choose between a 95' Legend GS model (55,000 ml. good body and mechanical for US$15,000) or a newer 99' 3.2 TL for slightly higher mileage and around $16,000??

Which one is a better buy in terms of reliability, performance and re-sale value in 2~3 years time? Thanks.
  • Isn't the Legend really overpriced considering the model year and that it's the last model year ? can't be that many Legend loyalists paying all that money for it .. it is after all TWICE the edmunds private party price.
  • The Japan built Legend GS anyday over the US built TL. The Legend's better built all around and a much rarer car. They were mid $40K new. The Legend styling is much more timeless and classier. Interior materials are higher quality and the wood veneer is real not fake like the TL. That year TL has the notorius transmission problems that were reported. Beware of the TL on this issue. The Legend has radiator weakness that should be replaced upon purchase if its still original due to the plastic upper tank design fracture cracking which can lead to warped head gasket, not common but has happened. A pre-purchase inspec. by a good Acura/Honda shop will inspect this and other issues.

The price is a little too steep on the GS, the owner is going by the low miles but that's still too much. The coupe is way more rare and can command this price and I've seen people pay it because the coupes are hot. This car should be around $10-12K with that mileage.
  • footiefootie Posts: 636
    Just as a price data point, we paid $3,000 in a private sale for a 1990 Acura Legend L Coupe / auto with 112K. Extremely well cared for with service records.

I can't imagine paying $15K for a 95, even with only 55K mi. Way, way too high. between 8 and 10 depending on maintenance history.
    I suggest you look up the Edmunds TMV (follow the links from the blue Used Car tab at the top) and maybe also post the details of each vehicle in our Real-World Trade-In Values.

If you decide to post in that discussion, be sure to read the posting guidelines in red above the post box so that you provide all the necessary information.

Let us know how it goes.
  • lraclrac Posts: 4
    Trunk Release solution.

My 1993 Legend L had the same symptom --- the solution was in reconnecting the string teather to the release cylinder, both are located behind the glove box and can be reached (with some difficulty) after removing glove box.

Be careful: work avoiding airbag circuitry if it is exposed when you remove the glovebox.
  • I'm restoring the interior in a 94 4dr Legend SRS. My carpet supplier (Auto Custom Carpets) cannot match the color by the color code(Type F). Can anybody tell me where i can find a description of the color codes, other than a dealer, thats usually my last resort! Thanks!
  • smzaasmzaa Posts: 2
    I own an 91 Acura L, 3.2L coupe. I had a mechanic look at the car because the engine was idling while in park. The oil and coolant also has a slow leak. He told me it's because of the radiator which I plan on replacing. Now the car has started smoking...not overheating..but smoking. Any ideas? Is it pricey to fix?
  • legendmanlegendman Posts: 362
    I got a brand new OEM radiator for my 1991 Legend LS for about $100 from Radiators.com

Excellent service; they drop shipped it right to my mechanic at his shop. Perfect fit, no complaints after 18 months.

As to the leaks, where precisely is it leaking from?
  • lastwraithlastwraith Posts: 350
    I think it was the Legends.....they used a plastic filler neck on the top of the radiator or something like that and they routinely cracked and leaked after a time. Replacing the radiator and switching to metal or a different model radiator at least solved the problem.

Not sure I fully undstand the "idling in park" problem. Do you mean it idles after you turn the car off or it idles high or what?

Oil leaks should not be all that hard to track down and for the coolant there are also only so many places that it can be leaking from. You can always get a second opinion if you aren't fully confident in your mechanic's diagnosis.

Good luck.
  • denisemdenisem Posts: 1
    My car is a 95 Legend 180,000 miles it started running hot, so we replaced the water pump, timing belt, all relays and sensors. new spark plugs and wires, radiator cap, checked all hoses, and had it checked to see if the head gasket had blown and was told no 2 times.
    Still over heats and is going thru anti-freeze???????????
    What do I do next?
    The front cooling fans don't come on when it's hot or if they do they don't stay on?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,211
    It probably needs a new radiator.. See messages above.. Typical failure for a Legend..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Hi everybody,
    I was glad I found this forum. Hope to get some help from you guys.
    I am considering buying a 93 Legend automatic with 147000miles for about $2500. Is it a reasonable price for this car, generally speaking?
    I am mostly interested knowing from you guys if I should have any reasons to doubt the engine condition or the transmission. From what you might know, is the 93 Legend prone to such problems (burning engine oil etc)?

Thanks a lot. I would appreciate any reply.
    Welcome! While you are waiting for some input, you might be interested in looking back through the previous posts here. You might also hop over to the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion and ask Terry, a very helpful dealer, what he thinks. Be sure to read the posting guidelines (in red) so you can give him all the info he'll need to tell you what it's worth.

Good luck - let us know how you progress.
  • smzaasmzaa Posts: 2
    Thanks guys,
    I have a 91Acura..3.2L coupe. Since my post, I've had to had install a new radiator, heat valve, and radiator hose. The car was still overheating and the engine was "reving"...like a vroom...vroom...while in park. The RPM doesn't move while it's doing nor while driving. It has LOT'S of smoke coming from the tailpipe. The mechanic says that the problem is now a blown head gasket which should've been diagnosed previously when it was leaking. I've been reading around and see that the gaskets are a known problems w/Legends. From what I wrote, does this sound like what the problem is. :cry:
  • Thanks pat,
    I will follow your advice.
    If this was all done with the same mechanic, I would definitely be wary of throwing more money at more parts because he may just be playing guessing games. At least have it looked at by another mechanic, or if possible one who specializes in imports. Even a visit to the dealership may be in order if you get an accurate diagnosis to bring back to a trusted (and cheaper) mechanic.

good luck
  • deadlegenddeadlegend Posts: 2
    I bought my 95 legend with 66K mi, a few hours after i bought it the temp gauge went off the chart! long story short, i had to replace the head gasket. that was about 3 years ago, and yesterday(@117,000mi) i got some bad news from my shop... blown head gasket & cracked radiator! this time i have no service contract and im scared dump the money into it just to go another 50k miles. does anyone have any advice? sell it? fix & keep? fix & sell? drop in river collect insurance? <-j/k lol. needless to say i love my car and would hate to give it up but im not rich and i dont want a money pit. :sick: one more thing, about 30k miles after my 1st head gasket ordeal i had to replace what may have been my stock radiator because it was cracked, could that radiator have damaged my new head gasket enough to make it blow 20k miles down the road? any input is greatly appreciated! :lemon:

p.s. does anyone else's cigarette lighter and radio cut out every blue moon?
    Having to replace your head gasket every 50K miles is absurd. Then again if your radiator wasn't working and your car overheated even once without you knowing it (though I don't see how you would not know) that could certainly have been the culprit. I would keep the car if you otherwise love it, but be sure to have someone reputable go over all the other cooling system components when they do the head.

good luck
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,211
    No matter what, you'll have to fix the car first.... It is worth nothing the way it sits....

Driving a ten year old car can be expensive from a repair standpoint.. But, most ten year old cars are only worth a couple of thousand... When they get big repairs, they just junk them... Fortunately, or unfortunately, the Legend is a pretty nice car and probably worth 3-4 times that much.... After you get it fixed, you'll have to decide if it is worth it to keep driving it..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• skyhawk10skyhawk10 Posts: 3
    Without any bought, your master cylinder needs replacement. The pedal falls to the floor because brake fluid is passing the activating piston. In the worst case it will fall to the floor on the first application of brakes. Remember to bleed the brakes after changing the master cylinder.
  • doccaseydoccasey Posts: 1
    Looking for 1989 acura ledgend passenger side front right head light high and low beam assemble.

Have looked on ebay, nothing. Need a source or after market supplier.

Nothing at my local import wrecking yards.

Appreciate any help out there.

Thanks

doccasey
  • I googled "used auto parts" and saw some promising sites. Try it.
  • jweavjweav Posts: 4
    i have a 1995 acura legend w/ 160,000 miles on it. i recently bought the car from a friend and i really love my car... but only weeks after i bought it, it started overheating. :sick: at first it was only one time and then it didnt over heat for about a month &1/2 and then, again, i looked down just intime to see the temp. needle rise to one mark under red line hot. since this i became much more aware that there is a problem. i was low on coolant and realized that it would be low more often than it should be. this problem got progressively worse and this week my car has over heated several times so, i replaced the radiator cap, checked the thermostat, thought maybe i have a leak in the cooling system but now im thinking its something different. one thing ive knowtest is the coolant in my radiator doesnt have much circulation, it bubbles a little, but i dont see much flowing...im now thinking its the water pump. i also dont think it is the cooling fans because they work, but when my temp. is hot, it seems they dont come on when they should?!?i dont have any leaks in my radiator that i know of... and im pretty sure that its not a blown head gasket. if any one knows of or has any suggestions, i would appreciate it very much!
  • jweavjweav Posts: 4
    can any one tell me where the darn water pump is located...its not like a 1976 chevy pickup, thats the only water pump ive ever helped replace...
    I believe the water pump is driven off the timing belt and the belt needs to be removed to get at it. This is why most people will replace the pump when they get a timing belt change (about every 90K or so) since the timing belt job is a bit of a chore, to say the least.

As far as the overheating, this does seem to be the achilles heel for Legends. Too many people on here have gone crazy troubleshooting lazy and/or dead cooling fans. Most have either given up, replaced them, or rigged up a manual switch to turn them on and off. Checking into any cooling fan anomalies would probably be a prudent course of action in addition to checking the water pump. Good luck.