Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Legend

Comments

• bmwlover3bmwlover3 Posts: 11
    After you replace any strut system. The car will handle and ride differently. My experience was an improved ride but the handling was lighter for about 5k miles. These cars are great but they are hard on suspensions.

Regards
  • andmoonandmoon Posts: 320
    I am buying a 94 gs sedan w/ 80k miles from a family member. I was told the radiator was leaking so when I went online to order a radiator, it was recommended that a head gasket/pressure check be done since a cause of a leaking radiator is often a blown head gasket.
    From reading the posts here (I read them ALL) it seems a leaking radiator is a common malady of the legend. Have many of you who have replaced the radiator also replaced head gaskets?
    Thanks,
    Don
    What is the norm with timing belt changes? I heard the 3.2 is an interferance engine so I am going to be conservative...anyone change the belt themselves? Is it worth doing the water pump at the same time?
  • prattsterprattster Posts: 59
    The Legend radiator design uses a plastic top portion (poor design) that will crack over time and once your engine overheats there's a real good chance that your head gasket is toast and there's permanent warpage due to the aluminum constr. Around $3K at the dealer to fix. I would go with a Modine aluminum unit to avoid this. You don't need to ever change the head gasket normally only if it's determined that there is damage already.

The TB should be changed at 6 years or 90K miles whichever comes first. The water pump is usually done at same time due to everything being apart since the job is mainly labor. About $500-650 at most good independent shops. I would never attempt to change it myself as you need special tools to remove certain bolts which are really a pain to remove. Plan on a whole weekend to do it, it's normally a 1 day job in the shop
  • electronselectrons Posts: 16
    I bought my legend new, actually leased it, and when I was done w/ the lease, I purchased it, knowing that it's very expensive to do that, but I also knew that this car is a great car. I don't own it anymore, but when I turned it over to my mother in law, it had 345k miles on it. Sure I had the normal things go out on it, alternator, wheel bearings, tires, brakes, even a/c fans, both blower and cooling fan, and a handful of ox sensors, but the engine is original. sure it lacked real power by today's car standard, I think 160 HP, I have a TL Type S w/ 260 hp, but the most amazing thing about that Legend is that I got 22 mpg the day I got it and it's still getting 22 mpg in mixed driving.

If anyone is wondering if a Legend can go to a mere 200k miles? I'd say easily if it's maintained well. They are nearly bulletproof if driven properly and maintenance is done on them properly, and I might add, good OEM parts used on them.

No trans, fuel pump, steering or a/c problems. I knew I should have bought a 95 model but back in 95 my car was only 8 yrs old, and still running strong. It's '04 now, the Legend still is impeccable shape and still motoring around town, so someone save me a '90 to '95 Legend. I'll get around to buying one someday.

Oh, if your wondering why I got the TL. I really had no choice, my Legend was stolen, and I of course bought it back from the insurance company.
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Posts: 96
    Hello Acura Legend Fans,

I used to own an 89 Legend L, 4 door. I recently sold it to a friend and he is generally happy except for one thing.
      On occasion when you hit the brakes they work but then if you keep your foot on the pedal it will sink toward the floor. If you pump them again they work fine but the pedal will again fade. When I owned the car it would occasionally do this to me but usually only in hot weather. Now it appears to be more frequent. My friend had new brake lines put into the front but it did not improve the situation. The ABS system basically died sometime back but that is of course a separate set of lines.

Anyone have similar experiences or any suggestions?

I loved the car by the way and its still in great shape except for this braking issue.

Thanks,

Jim d.
    What your experiencing is the master brake cylinder going bad. The ABS is a seperate system so it's not the culprit.
  • electronselectrons Posts: 16
    the seals in the master cyc are worn out. just get a new master cyc.,

prattste, knows his stuff, he must have been worked on cars before to know that.
    I went down to Florida and replaced the radiator on my new 94 gs and thank the gods, the head gaskets seem to be fine. While getting the tires balanced I noticed a torn cv boot and had both half shafts replaced (car has 85K). The drive back to NJ went smoothly (1200 miles at 75~85 gave me 25mpg)...Only remaining problems are wind noise from the front windows and the abs light. Anyone have experience with these problems?
    Thanks, Don
  • tjepptjepp Posts: 7
    I am thinking of purchasing a 95 Legend L. It has almost all the options offered that year (according to Edmunds) leather, automatic trans., and cd changer. It isn't equipped with keyless entry. The car has 91K on it and the asking price is $8995. The dealer claims the car is perfect and has the carfax available. At 91K I'm sure I should make sure the timing belt and water pump have been replaced before I buy. Besides the radiator issue, Bose stereo problems, and possible drivers seat rocking is there anything major I should concern myself with? I will possibly look at the car early next week. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance from a possible Legend buyer.
    tjepp
    Abs and transmission mount (especially rear)
    Don
    The 1st thing that I would do is find out if the radiator is original and if so replace this asap.. This is the most critical thing that could lead to head gasket warpage and big $$ to fix (poor design again). Alls it takes is a little crack on top of the tank and if not caught in time will cause a bad head gasket. Check to see if plugs are good and change these along with fuel filter and thermostat and any check for any clunking noise when you drive or stop this could be a bad rear tranny mount which is a known wear item.
  • repak1repak1 Posts: 9
    From a privious message, #450. I found that the seat rail handle was hanging up somewhat. I had push forward on the back of the seat in order to move it back. Hope no one has the same problem.
    I have a 92 Vigor that has been wrecked. It runs, but not sure if I want to put the money into it to repair it or part it out. Still a beautiful car from the windshield back. Black leather interior is in great condition, I hate to see the car parteed out, but as a last resort I will do that. Since bought a 92 Legend , slightly more power, tan seats, wonderful car. When did the body style change , that takes away the wonderful style this car has? My next car "whenever " will also be an Acura, But I want the same body style. Drive on!!!!! Buy an Acura
    Can anyone help me increase the economy with my 92 Legend. I have thought about installing an aftermarket air intake filter and also doing something with the exhaust system. Does anyone have any "good" info. in these areas? Thanks
    Can anyone tell me what is happening with my Honda Accord? It seems like its not shifting into high gear, its an automatic. When going up a hill it slows down considerably. No power,is there a catalatic converter on these cars, high RPM, no zip in the trottle at all. 260,000 miles. Please help
  • tjepptjepp Posts: 7
    A big thanks goes out to andmoon (Don) and prattster for your timely advice. I've been very busy at work (aren't we all) but looked at that 95 and a 94 LS coupe. 95 needed a little work and dealer wouldn't budge on the price. The coupe was nice but also needed a little work and was a previous rental. I'm looking at a 92 LS sedan on Mon. Very well taken care of with receipts. Hey andmoon, 25 MPG sounds great, was the ride really smooth for 1200 miles? These cars are so comfortable. The ABS light could be caused by an ABS/TCS speed sensor or ABS modulator right? I bet prattster would know more. And repak1, sounds like your Accord's tranny is slipping when it's put under a stress (ie. hills, towing, etc) And the second generation body style that's so attractive ran from 91-95. Acura then renamed the Legend the RL. It's a "softer" car suspension wise and not as bulletproof as the Legends but a nice car nonetheless.
    that was all highway. Now I'm getting 21~22mpg in 70/30 highway/suburb driving.
    Don
  • bmwlover3bmwlover3 Posts: 11
    I own 1991 Legend L /Auto Trans. 107,000 Miles in almost perfect condition. It has used Mobile 1 5w30 every 3000 miles when I converted from dino at 6000 miles. The coolant,trans fluid, PS fluid, and brake fluid (including abs) have been changed every year (12 times so far).

My understanding is when the cooling system in these cars fail, they can destroy the engine.

I would like to keep the car for as long as possible. Does anyone have any recommendations. Thank you.

Best Regards,
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    I am looking to get into a used 91+ legend sedan with 5 speed manual transmission. My first choice would be the type II with 6 speed manual but wondering if the 230 hp engine has any reliability issues ? I read in this forum about radiator issues but other than that, would it be safer to stay conservative and go with the widely used 3.2 200 hp engine or go for what I really want which is the type II engine.

Please advise.
  • rchinrchin Posts: 7
    1990 Legend L/Manual/120K

After much egging & badgering..from womanfolks (what they know about cars ;)
    I am getting 2004 TSX...time to say goodbye to the good ol' Legend...It's not much of a looker but man the engine is sooo sweet....still purrs like a cat.
    Easily outruns & outhandles most sedans on the road.

I truly hope the TSX, 100% Japanese like the Legend, is going to be as reliable, if not more.

I thought the value is only round $1500
    , but edmund TMV shows $2,510 (Trade-in).