Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Legend

Comments

• I have a 1990 Legend LS. I parked the car on my neighborhood street last night. When I tried to start the the car this morning,I turned the key and the dash board lit up like always , but the only sounds are a click under the passenger side dash and the radiator fan under the hood.The starter does not engauge. The battery checked fully charged 12 volts a bit more in fact. HELP !! any ideas?
  • yukayuka Posts: 9
    I would check your connections - if the battery is fully charged but the starter motor not getting any juice - there has to be a disconnect there somewhere. I would also check the ingition switch in the steering column - they have a history or failing on a car that old. Love the 1990 Legend - had one in our family from 2000-2008, 122,000 - 180,000 miles - she never let us down.
  • speasyspeasy Posts: 1
    My mechanic just came up and took a look at the same problem. It's a speed sensor they run 30-40 $. It's up on the transmission which is pretty in there on the legends.

His buddy that was with him seemed to think my oil problem was internal due to seeing blue smoke but when I changed oil the guy told me I just had a gasket valve cover on the top that was leaking. Any ideas from anyone on that? No other engine symptoms than going through a lot of it.
  • i just recently bought a 1990 acura legend to but mine came with a manual so im going to give u sum usuful tips for the raido to preset a station u like, all u do is tune into that staiton and hold one of the buttons labled 1-9 until u hear a beap and it should turn green once u set all the staitons. u know that button that says radio on it right by ur sterring wheel hit that and it cycles through ur station now u know all those little buttons on the bottom labbled htz or sumthing like that u should see 4 buttons to the right of it and one should say netural the first three let u memorize the way u want the frecuncys and thats pretty much it on the raido
  • Hi, i am looking to buy an 1993 Acura Legend. The one i am looking at has a V6, 3.2L engine, leather seats, CD player, Acura Alarm and a little bit of rust around back wheel wells. It has 245 000 kilometers on it and the guy is selling it for $1400. I would like a second opinion on it, if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • seth8seth8 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1990 Acura Legend.image">imageimageIt has 106,000 and is almost perfect inside and out. It had 2 owners, the second of which only held onto it for 5 months. The timing belt has never been changed, it idles a little rough and the AC Expansion Valve needs to be replaced. I discovered the Expansion Valve when I switched over to 134a from R-12. I first thought the compressor wasn't working but i was told the compressor shuts off if the expansion valve is clogged. Has anyone changed it before? If so, what exactly is involved. Oh and does anyone know where I can get the hardware to fix the inside driver door compartment? Thank you for your time.

Seth
  • SeattleBSeattleB Posts: 3
    my 92 acura legend,
    When I start it, it lopes between 1k-3k rpm as if it has a big block chevy cam in it lol. drive or rev it gos away, but on idol it is very annoying.
    Been checking for vac leaks, but to avail. Any sugestions?
    Thank you for your time in this matter.
  • I have a 94 L sedan automatic; the cash for clunkers (not that I think it is a clunker at all) lists two, one "PRE-CAT" that qualifies and the other that doesn't. How can one tell if their car is "PRE-CAT". I've called my mechanic and an acura dealer, and no one seems to know the answer. Anyone out there that knows?
  • tim7400tim7400 Posts: 3
    I have a 93 Legend and I have the same question...I have been to two dealers and called Acura, they do not know what I am talking about:
    The pre-cat car is listed as 18 mpg and the other is listed at 19mpg, I even went online to break down the VIN and it does not tell me anything... So maybe the GOV. can't tell either??????
  • How many miles on it? Check spark plugs/ change spark plugs. Change fuel, air filters and clean fuel injectors. may be time to change timingbelt.
  • dev630dev630 Posts: 1
    I have a 90 Acura Legend that has trouble starting when it is hot outside. Also, I recently had a transmission put in it and since then the coolant has been complete leaking when it is hot outside. The problem of it starting has been a problem since before the transmission was put in. Sometimes when the car wont start and I notice the coolant is gone I fill the resivor up and it starts right away. In any case when the car wont start its hot (above 78) and the engine just turns over, nothing catches.
  • I have a '88 Legend L, which has a problem with the climate control panel (non-automatic heater control switch assembly, p/n #79600-SD4-A02 - I think this is the correct p/n). The left knob, which controls the fan speed, is very difficult to turn on and off. It is basically stuck in the same spot meaning I can't increase or decrease the fan speed.

I've looked on-line on replacing the entire unit. New ones run over $500. However, I found one on e-bay for < $100. Has anybody had issues with this part and is it difficult to replace. If I replaced the entire unit, does this solve my problem on turning the on / off knob or is their another unit behind this one? Any information would be appreciated. The car is extremely low miles for a 21 year old car (< 90K) and I would love to keep it.
  • We have a very clean-bodied 1987 Acura legend sedan that has various mechanical problems. How can we best fix it up, or get it to someone with the know-how to get it fixed up? It has an alternator problem, transmission whining, and some sort of missing going on. Suggestions?
  • If you follow the manual, then yes. I have to say if you put 87, the car will run considerably rougher, that is, you will notice a difference in smoothness provided that your Legend is in good condition. So I'd follow the manual, and put the 93. But if you're struggling then 89 may be ok, but never 87!!!
  • did u ever find out what the problems were when your acura wouldnt start, i am having the same problem, could u please tell me if u know , how i can fix the problem.
  • mbabermbaber Posts: 1
    I have the flashing D4 along with erratic speedometer. Car runs fantastic otherwise. I am 300 miles from closest Acura dealer. I am a DIY kind of guy. What are the details on the speed sensor in the transmission? If it only cost $250 that would indicate the tran did not need removing so it sounds pretty minor.
  • These guys run forever. My buddy's '89 Legend still has potent kick after 215k miles.

-Steve Ligor
  • 12 volts reading in your tester does not your battery is fully charges. The best way to check your battery without a tester is to turn on your head light on..a bright light means your battery might be good and then start your engine. If the head light dims then you battery is in low charge. Clicking sound means your car is ok, it just yur battery is discharges. . If your battery come out good or strong, then you need to replace your starter. Simple as that.
  • 12 volts reading in your tester does not mean your battery is fully charges. The best way to check your battery without a tester is to turn on your head light on..a bright light means your battery might be good and then start your engine. If the head light dims then you battery is in low charge. Clicking sound means your car is ok, it just yur battery is discharges. . If your battery come out good or strong, then you need to replace your starter. Simple as that.
  • You have a low coolant/green liquid/anti freeze level..your idle air control motor is not warming up enough to re act to your current engine temperature. Possible cause, fluid hoses to the (AIC) air idle control is leaking. Make sure the engine is cold when opening radiator cap. If there is not leak then it is time to replace the (AIC) check all those small hoses for anti freeze and air vacuum.