It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
1997 Legacy - Hope it's not the head gasket
First time posting here! I've been perusing the forums for a few weeks now, trying to find a definitive answer to my question, but hopefully a posting is okay too. If the topic has already been covered, I apologize.
About 3 weeks ago, my "Check Engine" light came on in my 1997 Subaru Legacy. The day after the light came on, my temperature gauge in the car started slowly climbing, as if the car was overheating. I turned on the heat and the temperature gauge went back to normal. I took it to have the code read, and the technician told me that it was either a faulty temperature sensor or the radiator fans that weren't working. My Dad and I replaced the temp. sensor a few days later, and the car wasn’t having any issues for a few days and the fans were kicking on. The problem started up again a few days after that, so I checked the fluids, added some water to the coolant tank and checked the oil to see if there was any water in that. There wasn’t.
The car is fine on long drives (20+miles) but starts to overheat when I’m idling or in stop-and-go traffic. I’m concerned that this might be a head gasket issue, but didn’t know if replacing anything else before tearing everything apart would be useful.
Thank you in advance for your assistance!