Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    ...f--- with a lot of very expensive experience...
  • rsparrowrsparrow Posts: 60
    ...What do you think of the current Corolla hatchback models available in the UK?

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/frame_start.jsp?id=200_NCSTR_COROLLA

Sometimes I wish they would just bring those over here.

...would be my model of choice, if it were only offered here.

Speaking of misplaced marketing, and how wrong they can be on these matters, rumor has it that the IST will be one of the cars coming in next year as part of the Scion startup. I would love to try one of these - a 3 or 5-door hatch, just a bit smaller than the Corolla, very handsome and with a good range of engines [at least in Japan]. Now I'm supposed to be too old and stodgy to be interested in this car, and I guess I'll have to wear earplugs to get past the rap music in the Scion area of the dealership, but if the IST is part of the Scion lineup, I want to try it.

This is not to be confused with the perfectly silly BBX rolling phone booth, which will be the other Scion car, and I predict, a total bust with every demographic.
    ...I notice that the EU Corolla won the annual award from What Car? magazine [the link above] in the UK. This mag is a sort-of cross between Consumer Reports and Car & Driver in the UK, and their opinion matters to a lot of people.
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/ist/

This is the link to the Japanese Toyota site that shows the IST. Ignore the Japanese script and navigate around the site, and you'll get some good indications of what the car looks like and the Japanese market engine choices.

They get 1.3 and 1.5 liter engines, but rumor has it that the 1.8 from the Corolla / MatVibe will easily fit and could be the powertrain that will be offered in the USA.

Anyway, in the absence of a proper Corolla hatch, this looks like an interesting alternative to me, if it actually shows up next year in the Scion lineup.

• canccanc Posts: 715
    Canada won't get Scion cars... :(
  • I just took my 1999 Corolla into the dealership for an oil change. The dealer rep told me to have the 30k check up at a cost of around $480.00 bucks. Should I get this service or wait until a later mileage? (this is a leased vehicle)

thanks

Andy
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    wait on it. If anything they'll replace the spark plugs, if they are not platinum plugs, and the air filter.
    WHAT?! What will they do for that amount? I'd be interesting to know. Is this regular maintenance or do you have anything more to do on the car that would add to the price?

I know that my Mom's 2000 Corolla has iridium spark plugs that only need to be changed every 196,000 kms. (not miles, but that's a long time anyway), so the spark plugs shouldn't need to be changed.

I also know that some dealers in the US have "internet coupons" you can print out and apply as discounts on your service visits. Maybe that'll bring the price down a bit.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    At 30,000 miles on a '99, just replace PCV valve, air filter, flush and refill cooling system, and replace spark plugs. That's it. Even if you had the dealer do all this for you, it shouldn't be over $200. Even if you are not mechanically inclined, replacing the air filter and PCV valve is REALLY easy, no tools required. If automatic transmission, replace transmission fluid (add another $60).
    I don't even think changing the spark plugs is even necessary at this point. Like I said in my previous posts, the Corolla uses iridium spark plugs.
    Iridium hasn't introduced to the Toyota enigne lineup until MY 2000. Chances are, he may be running copper or platinum. There should be a sticker in the engine compartment which tells you what kind of plug is in the car.

if the first letter part number (Denso) starts with an "I", it's iridum. "P" means platinum. If there's only one letter, then a number, it's copper.
    How different are Denso made parts compared to, let's say, Delco (GM)? The reason why I'm asking is if a Toyota ever stalls on the side of the road, and the Toyota dealership is 6000 miles away, but there's a GM dealer around the corner, would it matter much to have GM/Delco parts rather than Denso?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    1999's have copper plugs - should be changed at 30,000 miles.
    thanks mcdawgg!
    Don't know the how the Delco spark plugs are. They may be found in the Prizm and the Vibe, but I'm not sure about this.

The copper plugs Toyota uses (from Denso, which Toyota partly owns), are the "U" groove. The Accel U-groove performance plugs sold in autoparts stores are very similar.
    What about other parts?
    Everynow and then, since the NUMMI days, you'll find some AC Delco parts make its way into Corollas.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    The second to last generation of the Tercel in some countries was known as the "Corolla Tercel" with "Corolla" printed in a small size above the "Tercel."
    The tercel was originally called the (Corolla) Tercel in the US.