Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• I just wanted to let you know I did have the same problem. I wasn't sure if it was the steering or breaks. I FINALLY took it in and they discovered it was a break booster. I've had nothing but problems with this car. I had problems starting and they found out it was the fuel pump and it also failed emmisons. They claim it just wasn't ready to be tested yet. This is my 3rd Corolla and never had any problems until this one.

Good luck,
    Lisa
  • My Corolla has less then 10,000 miles on it. First it failed emissions, they claimed it wasn't ready to be tested yet. I've had problems starting since about the first month or two. I also had some weird noise when turning. I finally took it in and they discovered it needed a new fuel pump, which was backordered, and a break booster. They had my 1 year old car for 3 weeks and 3 days. This is my third Corolla and I've never had any problems until this one.

Please let me know if anyone else has had these problems.
    Lisa
  • I have the same car and the dealer said it can't be installed. They said the best way to go would be a security system which would cost $500-$600. I also asked at Best Buy and they said it needs some kind of special chip to install it. Hope this helped.
  • pamike1pamike1 Posts: 2
    Out of curiosity was price with taxes, tags and title included in the $14,797? If so, sounds like a good/great deal.
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    No that price did not include taxes, title etc. All in all my mother ended up getting the car for around $17,000. She also got an extended waranty. She absolutely loves the car, and she has close to 20k miles on it already. I have driven it a few times, and it is a pretty good driving car. I personally drive a Buick Regal GSE with the supercharged V6. In another year or so when I am looking for a new car, the Corolla will be on the short list.
  • tomzpritomzpri Posts: 33
    anyone else bothered by the low height of the center arm rest on the 05 corolla? the low height, plus being a different height than the door arm rest is really uncomfortable.
  • tomzpritomzpri Posts: 33
    Has anyone found a way to turn off the passenger seat air bag alarm? you can't put anything on the seat without the annoying alarm going off.
  • sr45sr45 Posts: 144
    About to get the JBL stereo and 8 speakers on the new 06 corolla. Is this a waste of money or should I get an after market stereo instead or will I be pleased with the JBL system ? Still have time to change....Thanks everyone :D
  • Just picked it up. I hope this car doesn't have as many issues as the 2005. They should just put that car out of it's misery. :cry:
  • I just bought a brand new 2005 LE; had it for 14 days and it was sideswiped by a young driver while it was parked at the house. $7 - 8,000 CDN damage to the driver's side, including new wheels (car was pushed up over a 4" curb and front wheels no longer parallel to each other). Won't know if the frame was bent until it goes to the body shop in a week or so. I'm thinking if the frame isn't bent, no problem, but if it is bent, does this devalue the car? I'm considering insisting on a brand new car due to its very young age. Comments? :cry: :sick:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    The Corolla has no frame--it has a unibody design. If the unibody is bent, that's bad news--although there are machines designed to straighten unibodies.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    We had a 2003 LE involved in an accident (3 months old). It didn't look too bad to me but the tow truck guy took one look at it and said that the frame rails were bent and that it would be a write-off. He was right.
  • Lately insurance companies have been declaring cars that were in collisions as total losses. This is due in part to the expense they incur in replacing airbags and related parts. Is less expensive for them to pay the owner market value for the car and junk the car.

Also a car that was involved in such collision would lose value. You may want to discuss these issues with your insurer.

Let us know.
  • beernutbeernut Posts: 329
    In summary, dump it.

Get as much as you can from the talking lizard and run away.
  • Hi, folks. Thanks for all your input. Mechanical has now been fixed and the car has gone over to the autobody shop. Apparently the rocker panel has to be replaced, but no frame damage. What's your take on that?
  • Hi folks,
    I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla CE, with 4 Kumho Touring tires of dimensions 185/65/R14 .

Can anyone please tell me what should be the tire pressure, I feel my mileage is going down. Its giving me around 22 miles per gallon.

Thanks in advance.
    SK
  • Someone in a sports car pulled into a parking spot and hit my parked 2002 Corolla just past the bumper...right on that lower panel where the mud guard is located. It put a big dent there although the paint seems to be intact and no hard creases. What I did notice was something scraping on one of those speed bumps as I drove over it shortly after getting hit. I'm guessing the dent forced that panel to be lower and this is not giving the clearance like before. I knocked on this panel and it sounds hollow. Anyone know what is behind this panel (just past the rear bumper and toward the mud guard area)?
  • Hi! I need a bit of help... I'm trying to install new front and rear speakers in my '98 corolla. I am having trouble getting the old wants out. if anyone knows how to remove them I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Tom
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    This past weekend, I logged a lot of seat time in my mother's 04 Corolla LE. I must say I was impressed. I have driven her car many times before, but not 450 miles worth in two days. I found the power pretty good even with three people in the car, very comfortable seats, and it handles well. I only have a couple of negatives: the ride can get a little stiff, but not too bad, and the steering at low speeds needs to be a little looser. And why did Toyota see fit not to put a trunk release on the key fob? These are real minor complaints though, overall a very nice car. We also got great gas mileage only burning about a full tank's worth of gas. This car is now at the top of my list.
  • jonny0jonny0 Posts: 3
    Whenever the car sits for 3 or 4 days the battery is weak or dead, I did install a voltage guage and wired it straight up to the battery, but didn't think it would draw enough from the battery to cause a problem,I'm going to rewire it to the "ACC" position, this has been happening for about six months now, today the charging light in the dash came on for the first time, the volt guage reads a little under 12 volts while running, usually reads 14.4 while running, alt belt is fine, alternator has a NAPA sticker on it but doesn't look to be a recent replacement, could the alternator be going ? any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
  • jonny0jonny0 Posts: 3
    You might try calling one your local auto stereo shops, mention what vehicle you own and somebody there should be able to help out.
    good luck.
  • mt700a1mt700a1 Posts: 53
    My 94 Corolla makes humming/buzzin noise when I press the clutch. Once the clutch engages the noise stops. Clutch was replaced a couple of years ago and I noticed the noise only a couple of days ago. Also, what kind of fluid does the manual transmission take? Car runs and drives just fine right now, but I am concerned about the noise when I press the clutch. Please advise.
    Thanks!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    It sounds like a bad release bearing. Manual trannys use gear oil, check your owner's manual for correct type and weight. Was the release bearing replaced when the clutch job was done? How many miles when the clutch was replaced?
  • Did anyone out there have problems with their 2005 Corolla. I traded mine in for a 2006 but I'm just curious if I was the only one that had all the problems. That was Corolla number 3 for me and was the only one that had problems. The 2006 seems good for now.
    I read lots of forums on Corollas, and I'd say yours was VERY unusual. A few slow starting issues that were corrected (of course, under warranty).
  • mt700a1mt700a1 Posts: 53
    Thanks for your insight. It was indeed release bearing although it was only 30,000 miles old. The origilal part lasted over 140,000 miles, but the replacement that just failed carried a limited warranty which had expired. Thanks again!
    Wow, for the release bearing to fail this quickly, it was either was not installed correctly, or it was not a quality replacement part!
  • beernutbeernut Posts: 329
    Is a "release bearing" the same as a throw-out bearing?

If so, I can offer some input since I am familiar with the latter. It's short life could be due to improper adjustment of the pedal height by the installer - such that there was always pressure on it.

OR... was the car driven by someone with different driving habits since the bearing was replaced? A driver that rests the weight of his left shoe or foot on the clutch pedal can fry a throw-out bearing pretty fast.
    Yes, release and throw-out are the same. I agree with your diagnosis. I was assuming that the same person drove the car that got 140,000 out of the first bearing, so I did not list driver error as a possible cause of the problem, but it can be. I have been a passenger in cars driven by people who claim to know how to drive a stick, but they are actually seriously abusing the clutch. But, this one sounds like installer error.
  • Mine also had the slow start issue. Sat at the dealer for 3 weeks. It came back and was ok for about a week then started again. Please keep in mind this car had less then !0,000 miles on it and I had a break booster replaced, fuel pump and it also failed emmisons. Got a good deal on my 2006 but I'm still rather upset because getting that good deal caused me to have to sign into another 5 year lease and I lost a few hundred for various things. I guess I just got a lemon. :cry: