Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• I read the Motortrend review and several others which claim that Corollas have terribly soft suspension and poor cornering ability, and not responsive in emergency situations or steering is bad at high speeds. Some have even gone as far as saying its dangerous to drive this car on the highway? Is this true? I'm planning on buying a car and am considering the Corolla, however can the average car driver safely drive this vehicle without excessive windsheer and flying around and have good control at 90mph on the interstate?
    Also would replacing the default tires to some performance speed rated all season tires improve the poor handling? and by how much?
  • enetheneth Posts: 285
    Corollas aren't sports cars - but they're not dangerous to drive. I've driven two of them cross-country several times - one up to 195,000 miles, and the other currently has 80,000 miles.

I won't say they're the most comfortable long-distance cruiser you'll find - but they're perfectly acceptable and safe at any reasonable highway speed.
  • wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    The reviews from these automotive magazines are for the auto-enthusists. They tend to side with performance at expense of such quality as quiet/softness. These quality is more appreciated by consumer magzines for the ordinary folks such as Consumer Report, ect. Corolla is recommended by most buying guides I have seen.

The car's suspension is tuned to the soft side. Which means, it will have a more noticable body roll during high speed cornering or turning. The suspenion is tuned to give possible the smoothest ride and quietest cabin in the class, at the expense of hard conering capability. Know the car's handling limit, don't try to push beyond the design specs (like take corner at 40+ mph), and the car will handle very predictably. Being one of the most populous car in the world today, it would be hard to believe it being dangerous.

The cars is a very capable highway commuter. The excellent power plant, possibly the best powerplant in the class, gives it very good ride on the highway. Since handling on the highway is very limited (at more than 60 mph, no car can survive a turning of steering wheels that's more than few degrees). High way commuting is probably the car's forte.

The car has very little windsheer. The body has one of the lowest drag coefficent in the class, at 0.31. That means it experience less wind forces than most others with high drag coefficient.

This car won't impress you with it's ability to take corners, though it might impress you with its good acceleration and a quiet/soft ride, and the gas milage as well.

If you are looking for a sportier car, to push the envelop during the tight turns, you should get the Nissan Sentra SE, or to a less extent, the Mazda Protege ES. They are sportiest car in the class. Especially the Sentra SE combines great power with sharp handling.

But if you are looking for a smooth quiet ride for your everyday commute, corolla is a good choice.

In the end, test drive the car yourself. And know what kind of driving experience you are planning to do, (twist and turn fun, go for Sentra; soft and quiet, get corolla). Good luck.

Oh. If you are planning on switch tires. A low profile performance tire can probably decrese the body roll somewhat, and help you take the turn faster. But like all sports oriented mods, they come at the expense of quietness and softness. Also, I wouldn't expect it to completely change the car's personality. For that, you need to get Toyota Race Development's sports suspension stuff.

These things will most likely make a night and day difference for you car's handling characteristics.

You can find it at www.trdusa.com.

If I remember right, Sports strut and spring set (4), range from $450 to $800.

They also have a performance package, that has even more ellaborate modes, from turbo charger to super fance suspensions. The cost tend to be $2500 or more, some of the cost is because these performance packages include stuff such as racy skirts and other mods that's purely for looks. You should speak to a user called Danniswade. He has gotten quite involved, and modified his corolla to a monster.

But my view is, spring and struts for few hundred bucks might make sense. But if you are really looking to do some hard cornering rather than quiet driving, you should be buying a Sentra in the first place.
  • Changing the tires to performance tires will enhance and change the Corolla from "I don't thank so" to "lets have some fun". The Corolla will not turn into a Celica, but it will increase the handling of the car at little or no expense of ride and noise. Been there done that. I have 89 and 95 models.
  • My 90 Corolla LE with 97,700 miles and orignal everything still runs great. I'm a proud Toyota die hard and my Corolla just backs up my enthusiasm. After putting the Michelin X-ones...the ride comfort and quietness improved big time over the Michelin MX4s we put on it and the original...ahem..Firestones that came on it from Fremont (NUMMI). Those tires were terrible.
    tried out the TRD suspension with the sports struts and springs? At $500-$800, it doesnt' sound too expensive. I'm curious as to the effects.
  • What do you think about this? Since my price range is less than $16000 I think I might get a Accord DX with no AC no nothing. I think it has a big engine and big car qualities that I like, all the power equipment and luxuries I can do without for now, what do you think? A strip down Accord at $16000 or fully loaded Corolla or Civic at same price?
    I wouldn't go for a Accord DX. I think if you are going for an Accord, find any way you can to at least scrape together enough money to buy the LX.

The DX uses cheap engine (135 hp), and is a stripper, I wouldn't go for it. Without A/C, you will find it almost impossible to sell the car later down the road (if you wanted to).

Just my 2 cents.
  • Hi everybody,
    I am an ASU student looking to buy a cheap car with low miles to take me from "point A to pont B", atleast for a couple of years. I have been considering this Ford Taurus, 95 model with 49K miles on it. It's priced at $5000. Shall I go for it? Does this model have any bad maintainace history? Please help...
    But if you're looking for the fit-finish-polish-reliability that an Accord (or Civic or Corolla) offer, you'll be disappointed with the Saturn L series.

It is not up to the competition (even the Taurus, and the Daewoo Leganza and Hyundai Sonata have better fit and finish) from other automakers.
  • I am a third year college student who plans on buying her first car very soon. I have finally come to the decision that I would like to buy a 2000 Corolla. Now I've done my research but I know it's always helpful to get info from ppl who've gone through this before. So my question is, what is the difference between a CE and LE trim after the value packages? I plan on getting auto trans (I know there is a difference in speed between the two), the value package offered, and a CD player . The info about the CE on giggo.com's site lists the value package as having A/C, power doors and windows. While the VE does not have power doors and windows but does include the radio and a cassette deck in the value package. Essentially is this the only difference? After I added up the totals there was about a $1000 difference (MSRP price differenc). Would you just say I should go with the lower trim level?

My other question is roughly how much has everyone been paying for the 2000 version of either trim? I will more then likely be buying and not leasing the vehicle. Thank you for the help=)
    Whatever you do, avoid the 3-speed automatic - the car is much more refined with the 4-speed.

The 2000VE (gone for 2001) has the 3-speed, though it is available on the 2001 CE. All the 2000 CE and LE, and all the 2001 LE and S-automatic models, should be 4-speeds.
  • Great value, possibly...but great reliability? Uhh...probably not. You possibly might be spending thousands more than a Camry or Accord in the long run. Why would you want to be cheap and cut corners on quality and reliability? I know I wouldn't. Also...please stick to the Corolla topic. If I wanted to read about a Saturn (which I never will have any intention to) I would be reading the saturn town hall posts.
    However, that's at the low end. Equip an L-series the way a Camry or Accord usually is, and the price is similar - or higher, since you can usually negotiate a lower-than-sticker price on either, but not on the Saturn.

Whether you're willing to live with less refinement and a lower grade of fit and finish (Saturn) vs. the Toyota/Honda competition, is another matter. Some of us don't like squeaks and rattles (which just about every Saturn I've ever been in, has as standard equipment).
  • Why wouldn't you want a 2001 vs the 2000? I didn't think there were any 2000's left on the dealers lots.I got my four speed automatic 2001 LE in July it is virtually loaded with everything the dealer has except ABS brakes and side airbags.Moonroof,spoiler,RS3005 security system,alloywheels,C.D player, etc.etc. I paid $16,800 and I love it. Ride is excellent,outside lighting is great, shifts smooth, heating and A.C. is good.The only downside I have come across so far is that the brakes are soft(too much pedal).Other then that great little car.
  • REAL customer satisfaction is having a car run for 10 years with no major problems and lower cost of maintainance. You can definitely expect that from a Toyota or Honda. So what if the dealership experience at a Saturn dealer is great. The dealership I buy my Toyotas at is great as well. I'm glad you like to emphasize JD Power and Assoc. because you can look at their overall history and see which nameplate/maker holds the most awards for the auto industry in the 10 or so years they have been around. I believe that is something Lexus and Toyota has accomplished that no other automaker can match.
    It matters less to Corolla owners than to Saturn owners how good the dealer and dealer satifaction, is.

Saturn owners will find greater need for the service department than will Corolla owners, if past reliability history is an issue.

The other issue is a personal one - if you can live with the fit and finish of a Saturn, they're OK. I suspect most Corolla buyers could not do so.
  • You are very correct when you say that Saturn owners will need the service department more than Corolla owners. As for my experience in ownership of a 10 year old Corolla, it has NEVER been on a tow truck or left me stranded ANYWHERE! That's what I call real value. You get what you pay for and cutting corners with a Saturn is a good example of that. You wan't a vehicle that has a stellar reliability record and better resale value, you can see the Corolla shining in the lights.

As for Corollas legendary history, there are more Corollas in the world than any other vehicle. I grew up with a 79, 88 and 90 Corolla LE which all has given us 100% satisfaction. I miss my Corolla LE but my Avalon XLS continues the legacy.
    I had an 87 Corolla FX-16, which served me well through 11 years and 195,000+ miles, never requiring anything more than maintenance, tires, brakes and two exhaust systems.

The 93 in the family is approaching 100K - same thing.

A couple of relatives traded cars (one Honda Civic and one Toyota Tercel) for Saturns - and lived to regret it. They didn't realize what they had (i.e., visits to the service department scheduled at their convenience, not forced due to part failure) - and in refinement (both complained about the shabby quality of the Saturns, fit-and-finish wise).

To its credit, Saturns dealers are generally much better than Toyota and Honda's - but that is in part to make up for a product that isn't up to par. Daewoo is similar - they've won dealership-satisfaction awards, but the cars still aren't competitive with other automakers' offerings.
    If you are paying MSRP for a car in this class (Saturn charges MSRP), you getting get some good service. Toyota and Honda dealers will probably kiss your boots as well if you are willing to pay MSRP on a Civic or a Corolla. :) j/k