Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

1124125126127128130»

Comments

• I dig the hybrid's Flash Gordon two tier infotainment cluster, plus the Civic's reliability/dependability reputation is nothing to sneeze at (so to speak). I realize there are other brands with better stats and even a better driving experience. The Civic is just one of a small list I have of machines to check out. I'd like a hybrid, but there aren't many small hybrids out there to check out for purchase. The Civic's size is just about right, speaking for myself.
    Peace!<=AladdinSane<- :shades:
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    edited February 2012
    JD Power Dependability Study

This is the latest dependability study by JD Powers. It shows that for 2009 models (3 years old), Toyota got more awards (8) than any other maker. #1 Lexus (Toyota) #2 Porsche, #3 Cadillac And Toyota, #4 Scion (Toyota).

Also note - for compact cars, the Prius was #1, #2 COROLLA. That's pretty good, considering the 2009 was the first year of a new generation of Corolla.
  • blackdynamite1blackdynamite1 Posts: 7
    edited March 2012
    I know I'm impressed! :shades:

And it makes sense when you pair it back to back with the current car. It does carry over design elements, it just does so more aggressively:

http://www.newcarsfor2013.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2013-Toyota-Corolla.jpg- -
    BD
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Posts: 182
    I like what I see for the Corolla in this pic.
    Any idea when this new version will be sold?
    2014?
    That sounds a forever away, especially since I'LL be in the market for new wheels soon.
    I could wait for it, but it still sounds as if this new version is far off.
    :(
    Whatcha think?
    Peace!<=AladdinSane<- :shades: -
  • Expect to see it late 2013-early 2014

If the current model's sales tank, then expect an earlier release.

Since the current car has held fast against the many new models on the market, I'd expect it around 2 years from today. ;)
    BD
    Howdy friend...
    Thanx for the reply.
    I appreciate it.
    No matter what the naysayers may say I still dig the Corolla "S" and the machine's general simplicity.
    I have more to comment on concerning the Corolla, but I don't wish to bore you.
    Anyway, thanx again mate.
    Peace<=AladdinSane-<- :shades:
  • Keep in mind, as it seems you are overseas, I was referring to the timeframe for a U.S. launch. The U.S. is usually the last market to receive new Toyota designs, for a variety of reasons.

Toyota vehicles can launch up to one year earlier in foreign markets, so be on the lookout! :surprise:
    BD
    No brother...pure USA flavor here... ;)
    All good, though...
    And I do appreciate the replies, definitely...
    Peace!<=AladdinSane<= :shades: -
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Not much "all-new", right?
  • I'm user of used car Toyota Corolla, any feedback on mileage when you bought it?
    I drive almost all city driving and get 25 mpg. consistantly with all three of my Corollas ("92", "09" and "01" ). When I do drive highway for a trip or something like that, I usually can get 35 mpg. or better.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    edited September 2012
    It was a bitter sweet week for me. Last Friday night I was on my way home when I got a flashing check engine light on my '99 Corolla. After going through a multitude of troubleshooting steps I've learned the engine has a bad valve in cylinder #4 (cylinder would not hold more han 15 PSI when doing a leak-down check). With 295K miles I've decided the car isn't worth fixing and that I've more than gotten my money's worth.

I picked up a really nice, one owner '04 Corolla LE with 149K. Before purchasing, I took the vehicle to my mechanic to have him check it out. He gave it the all okay and said he found no problems. I got a good deal...paid $5600 and the Kelly Blue Book is $7500.

As I spend more time driving this car I realize the huge improvements in design over its predecessor. The interior seems huge compared to the '99...not only more leg room up front, but in the back as well. The seat is much more comfortable as well...more lower back and lumbar support. The dash layout and user controls are also more ergo-friendly. One thing I never liked about the '99 was the sloppy suspension. I always said the car "swashbuckled" down the road....lots of body lean in turns, and just in general the suspension always seemed to have too much travel and moved way too slowly. Even with new struts and springs (which I just had installed this spring) it was still sloppy. In contrast, the '04's suspension feels taught (almost sports car-ish), and yet still soaks up bumps better than '99...how is that possible? The '04 is also much quieter, especially on the highway...road noise was always pretty bad in the '99. The '04 is an automatic, the '99 a manual....when I bought the '99 I wanted a manual...when I bought the '04, I wanted an automatic...I like driving a manual, but not in heavy traffic...plus getting older the auto just seems more pleasant to drive to me...

Overall, I have to say I'm amazed at how large of a difference there is between these two models. Don't get me wrong, I loved the '99 and it served me well, but the differences between these two are literally like going from a Yugo to a lexus...I really don't know of any other way to put it....
    Sounds like you certainly got your monies worth out of your "99"; good luck with the 2004. You only have 146K miles to catch-up, LOL.
    ...of course my goal isn't to catch up, but to surpass...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    You really did get great use out of your '99!

With the earlier generations of the Corolla (and the Sentra), you were basically paying for a rock-solid engine and transmission, and they threw in a basic, functional interior and everything else. This car has come a long way over the years, from being just reliable transportation to a truly nice vehicle.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Please share your experience with Toyota Corolla
    Absolutely wonderful! I'm on my fifth Toyota Corolla in thirty years and all have been exceptional and gave me great service. In fact, as I look back I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of some of them. No need for extended warranties with these cars, all of mine have rarely been in the repair shop.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Definitely very positive. Some people on here like to beat up the Corolla, but it is still exceptionally reliable and fuel efficient. Check Consumer Reports, JD Power, True Delta. Also, some people are quick to point out that the automatic is only a 4 speed, but the Corolla in Consumer Report's real world MPG tests was beat by only a diesel and a hybrid in it's class. I thnk this was a test done about a year ago.

Will the new Corolla be better - no doubt, and it will I am sure come with a new transmission, etc.

But the current one is reliable, fuel efficient, smooth, quiet, and safe. Also, very easy to work on (oil changes, air and oil filter changes).
    edited October 2012
    When I hear people say they don't like the Corolla, it's mostly because they say it's boring. To me there's nothing boring about Swiss-watch-like reliability and unmatched fuel economy. Just for the heck of it, I've been keeping track of my fuel economy since I bought my '04. On one stretch of pure highway driving I went 254 miles with the crusie control set at 75 MPH and the air on, I got 45 MPG...that's damn near hybrid MPGs! The only time I've gotten less than 34 MPG was when I was towing my motorcycle. I put 2500+ miles a month on this car, so nothing is more important to me than reliability and fuel economy...as far as I'm concerned, no other non-hybrid can match the Corolla in these two areas....
    ...I like the fact that the automatic tranny in the Corolla is only a 4 speed...many people may like/want 5/6/7 speed autos, but keep in mind, the simpler and fewer parts in any mechanical device means there's less that can go wrong with it....these 4 speeds they put in the Corollas are bullet proof as long as you keep up on the fluid changes...
    Gotta agree with everything you said about the Corollas. I can get very close to the same mileage you're getting on the highway, but my problem is my driving is like 90% city. In the city the best I ever got with my Corollas was 28 mpg. I'm on my fifth or sixth Corolla and my goal is to buy a Corolla plug-in or a Corolla convertible should they ever make one. I love my 91 Miata but I'd really like to experience a convertible Corolla.
  • 140 HP
    CVT
    100 lb weight loss
    30/38 EPA MPG (somewhere around there)
    Crisper Styling
    More luxury features available like Push Button Start, JBL Audio, Rear view camera, heated seats, etc

My only real question is will Corolla get a hybrid version? Toyota has said EVERY model will have a hybrid version by 2020.
    Awesome ! When they get a hybrid I'll be first in line.
    I bet a hybrid Corolla would be awesome! Think of the MPGs you could get with that thing!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    If most people posted that, I'd think it was just idle talk, but I actually believe you WOULD be first in line, Tom!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I'm a little disappointed in the projected fuel economy numbers of the new Corolla. I'd rather they forgo the bump in HP and make the car more fuel efficient. It seems they are more concerned about HP numbers than fuel economy numbers. With gas prices likely to keep going up, so should the mileage of new vehicles. If automakers were less concerned about power output and more concerned with MPGs they could easily have cars like the Corolla getting 50 MPG on the highway by now....instead we get more power and the same or less fuel economy....
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    If automakers were less concerned about power output and more concerned with MPGs they could easily have cars like the Corolla getting 50 MPG on the highway by now....instead we get more power and the same or less fuel economy....

Well... the new Sentra has only 130 hp, down 10 from 2012, and does have higher FE than the old car... but no better than the 155 hp Mazda3 or 148 hp Elantra, and not much better than the 160 hp Focus... or even the new Altima!

So I am not sure lower hp is the answer, not with the weight of compacts being what it is today because of bigger cars, more safety etc.
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Posts: 50
    edited November 2012
    Turbos, CTVs, Hybrids......plenty of cool, new stuff is coming down the pipeline. This is the last go-round for the old bored-and-stroked 1.8 in the Corolla, or the 2.5 in the Camry/Rav4. And Toyota already has the #1 lineup in overall fuel efficiency.

3 years from now, by 2015, you won't recognize the engine lineup. The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades! :shades:

But the next Corolla will be lighter, faster, and more efficient. No need to fret now...