Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Didn't meant to post three back-to back posts...but just a comment on the debate about dealerships. My mom co-signed with me and we both had fun shopping around. I went to the Lincoln-Mercury dealership she bought her Mercury from (she envies my Toyota now!) and they let me test drive a 98 Corolla for an entire week! I know they hoped I'd fall in love with it and be willing to pay their sticker price of $11,999 for a vehicle with slight body dings and 60k miles! But I told them upfront I was still looking and took their car to test drive at other dealerships and ended up with a much better deal! Plus driving up in a test drive vehicle was a good conversation starter to show I was serious.

The dealership I bought from was found on the internet off of MSN's car site. We emailed them, got a very nice polite response. I liked that the sales manager also reccommended the cheaper car and didn't try to get me to upgrade to a Camry. I know Corolla is small and most of the toyota dealers I went to tried very persistantly to push a Camry on me and kept saying stuff like "are you sure you can drive a stick shift?" I agree with using e-mail to weed out the dealers.

My car was just under $9,000 and I also got a 7yr/100k mile ext. warrenty that should last for the next four years for less than their original quote for the 6yr warrenty because I brought printouts for a web site advertising warrenties. Saved about $350 because I had competitors prices to compare to. When all is said and done...if I take the full 60 months to pay off the financing I'll pay about $13,000. But if I pay off in 2-3 years I'll cut off a good chunk of that cause of saved financing costs! Also, getting price quotes of interest levels from banks got me a much better interest rate!

I've found the night service manager to be great....their service is open til Midnight and I get off at 10pm....and the night manager is lot less "anal" about charging for little stuff! I think he's so bored that he's glad for anything to do. Every time I've called with a question or wanted a latch adjusted he says "Come right over!" I fix it for you. I tired to pay him and he just said "Ah, I'm sure it's in your warrenty, and if it's not, it should be," winked and gave me my keys.

Zypher/Jennifer -- the happy owner of "Periwinkle" a 98 Corolla (anybody want to buy a 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon with 160k miles on it? The car has character *grin*)
  • liufeiliufei Posts: 201
    Congrats on your Corolla. I can't imagine the difference between it and 84 Buick. ^__^

Regarding the hand-brake, I think its fine. I have an auto right now, but thats what I did when I was driving a stick-shift & got stuck in really steep incline. Either that or be quick enough to balance the gas pedal and the clutch. With time, roll-back should be less of a problem for you.

As for the alarm system, it will provides you with some peace of mind. But for lowering insurance rates, GEICO only lower my insurance by 4(FOUR) bucks!!! when I called to check. If I remember correctly, wenyue has an alarm system installed on his, so you can check with him on that. I'll say get the alarm system WITH a keyless entry. Thats one thing I won't mind paying for after being drenched in parking lot too many times. :)

Seems like got a great deal on your Corolla. The Lincoln dealer must be a bit "wacky". For 12K, you might as well get a 2001 Corolla!! Its only 1K more and you get a brand new car instead.
  • nick29nick29 Posts: 19
    I just switched tires on my 99 VE from 175 65R14 to a Toyo 195 60R14.WOW Looks very sporty and rides great.My question is has anyone used that large of a tire on their corolla?Or anyone experience the Toyo?
  • I run a 195/65 14 on my 95. It does make a difference. You need to be careful of the slight difference in the speedometer though.
  • I have been thinking of getting a 205/40 16 combination on my 89. Can you imagine the increase in handling. It currently has 185/60 13.
  • wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    to switch to a different tire size, don't you need a new set of rims/wheels for that?

I see combo-packs at tire stores, but I always wonder about the quality and how it would really feel after the change. Maybe I will take the plunge at 36,000 miles.
  • I bought a new Corolla LE 2001 just last week only.The cassette player gets heated up after e playing cassettes for some time.Besides I get bumpy ride when the road is slightly uneven.Is it normal with model.Please let me know.
  • I will have to buy another set of wheels to hold the new tire. This is the problem. There is only one tire now made in that size (my current size) that has any speed rating. The original size was 185/60/14. I have had the car for 8 and a half years and it had 13's on it when I got it. I figure that I would go to the max size if i had to buy new wheels anyway. I still have to compare prices and that will not happen until i wear the present set out.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Tundradude, if I go from 185/65/14's to 195/60/14's will this be ok with no rubbing or bottoming out? According to my calculations, 185-195 and 65-60 should be about the same tire height in the wheel wells. Is this logic correct? Thanks for your help and happy new year from warm south florida.
  • enetheneth Posts: 285
    There's an amplifier inside the cassette deck, so yes, it will become warm with use.

The Corolla is a small car - so you'll feel the bumps in the road more than with a larger car (but the Corolla is certainly not worst-in-class when it comes to ride - for that, try a Neon for comparison).
  • 185/60TR14 82T SL 420 A B
    185/65TR14 85T SL 420 A B
    185/70TR14 87T 420 A B
    195/60TR14 85T SL 420 A B
    195/65TR14 88T SL 420 A B

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=Avid+T4

This info above came from Tirerack. The 185/65 14 has the same # at 85 than the 195/60 14, but if you look at the webpage, the 185/65 14 falls between the 195/60 14 and the 195/65 14.

I experience minor rubbing on dips in the road but I like the tire increase. It has not affected my speedometer. The 195/60 shouldn't affect the speedometer either and it will have no rubbing because of its lower diameter. I purchased the 195/65 because thats what they had in stock that particular day when I needed them.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Did you notice any rubbing or bottoming out with the tire change you made on your Corolla? I'm thinking of going from 185/65/14's to 195/60/14's so your input would be very beneficial to me . Thanks in advance for your help. Tundradude has already been very helpful in this matter but your switch is more inline with what I'd like to do. Thanks again.
  • dchinndchinn Posts: 64
    Correct me if I'm incorrect, As long as the height ratio of the tire remains the same, the speedometer is still accurate; e.g. 175x65x14 vs. 185x65x14 vs. 195x65x14. Speedo will change if one changes the ratio from a 185x65x14 to a 185x60x14.
  • that is correct, but halfsizes do not result into major speed changes, than say from 70 to a 60
  • nick29nick29 Posts: 19
    sandman46:The tires I installed 195 60R14 work great no bottoming out or rubbing. Ride is better swell as the improved appearance. The 60 series tires look more substantial and sportier.No worries,go for it!
  • I've had 195/50 15's on my 98 Corolla for a couple of years now. No bottoming or rubbing. The speedometer is still accurate because the increase in wheel diameter compensates for the lower profile tires. The switch really made my Corolla fun to drive, look better and become much more stable when driving against the wind.
  • There are three ways to get going when you're on a hill. Which method you use has a lot to do with how steep the hill is.

1. If it's not too steep, simply slipping your foot from the brake to the accelerator is fine -- just be sure to give it enough gas so as not to stall (this will come to you very quickly, with practice).

2. If the hill is relatively steep, you can keep the brake depressed with your heel while depressing the accelerator with your toe. This is known as "heel and toeing", and is used in double-clutching for high-speed driving in corners.

3. If the hill is REALLY steep (say, San Francisco), using the handbrake is not a bad idea, although technique #2 will work well with a little practice.
  • Subaru has sold manual transmission cars with hill holder clutches in the past. They make a lot of sense and I'm not sure they haven't caught on with other car manufacturers. I saw an ad several years ago for a hill holder kit you can install after market, not sure if they still sell them.
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    I've seen a recent post in this forum about this woman complaining that her Toyota's transmission "sludged". Would anyone care to explain what a "sludgy" transmission would do?

I've also read a post replying to this woman's comment, and said that it was due to improper warm-up of her car. Ok, what's a proper warm-up for the car? To me that means to not start the car and drive it immediately when it's -30 Celsius outside, but some of you might have different meanings of this.

Thanks in advance!
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    Has anyone recently test driven a Corolla and a Civic? I've heard that the Corolla has a much better ride compared to the new Civic. The Corolla's suspension is smoother, the drive is also less noisy, etc. Any comments?