Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• I'm stubborn and a tight wod. The car was only 3 years old at the time. Plus I wanted to wait til after I moved closer to my job to get another car. Who wants a 4 year old car with 215,000 miles already on it? I had a friend of mine offer me $3,500 for it and took it. I already had it's replacement at the time (a '04 Camry) anyways. Plus it still looked like it just rolled off the show room floor. Got rid of the Camry and decided to go back to a pick up, now I have a '06 Tacoma which I love. I go through vehicles the same way I go through women...lol
  • sonatabeansonatabean Posts: 201
    #3748 of 3754 Mileage by trgbassguy Apr 25, 2006 (5:41 pm)

So what kind of gas mileage are the 06 carollas getting?

I would especially like to know this, given (1) current trends and (2) this morning, on Good Morning America, a financial guru finally said the unthinkable: namely that, in the next two or three years, as a result of global demand, the US consumer will be paying what the European and Asian consumer is paying (i.e. about $6 a gallon).
  • kato1kato1 Posts: 64
    my last 4 tankfulls have been almost all highway miles (80-90%) at 70 mph:

44.3 mpg (this tankful was mostly state highway- so mostly 60 mph)
    41.6 mpg (70 mph--10% of miles stop & go city)
    43.8 mpg (70 mph--10% of miles stop & go city)
    41.2 mpg (70 mph--20% city)

my other tanks have been about 50% hwy-50% city and have ranged from 34 mpg-39 mpg. i drive an 06 ce 5 speed and for the most part drive with the goal of getting the best mileage possible, but i will gladly downshif a couple gears if i need the acceleration.

i dont think any (non hybrid/diesel) car on the market will beat a corolla in gas mileage, especially on the highway. a used echo would do better, though.
  • beernutbeernut Posts: 329
    40.5 on an '05 S automatic. All highway.
    Funny, but the Corolla MPG numbers I keep hearing from people real-world beat the new Yaris numbers.

And while the Yaris sheet-metal is nice, the interior is much more "entry level" with a splash of "weird" thrown in for the teeny-boppers and enormous-damn-rims crowd.

I just hope the next generation of Corolla due in 08 keeps the current traits: that's when I'll be due for a new set of wheels.
    Yup, I was pretty revved up about getting a stripped Yaris 2 door for under $11k like they advertised so I could run its doors off. Equip a Yaris and even the Camry starts looking like a better deal.
  • kato1kato1 Posts: 64
    "Funny, but the Corolla MPG numbers I keep hearing from people real-world beat the new Yaris numbers. "

well, the manual corolla is rated 32/41 and the yaris is 34/40, so corolla is rated higher (barely) anyway. me thinks the yaris highway numbers are harder to achieve at real highway speeds as the engine is revving a bit high, where the corolla not as much. i chose a corolla over yaris for that very reason. i corresponded with boatloads of corolla owners who were achieving better than epa numbers, while the few yaris owner i do know are not doing nearly as well, especially at highway speed.
  • kgl_mkgl_m Posts: 2
    Hello folks, I'm trying to decide between a 96 Avalon and a 96 Corolla of similar vintage.

I know these are very different cars, but they are both supposed to be fairly reliable and good value for money.

Some background - me and my girlfriend are looking for a car together, we are both 24 and this isn't our first car. I own a Mazda Miata but am going to sell it once we get a replacement sedan. My choice.

Anyway, we found a really nice 96 Avalon with 90k miles. It has leather, sunroof, CD, six seats. Its a very nice car. The buyer was asking $5900, got it down to $5700 but he still has it and is waiting for a higher offer till Tuesday because he said he has to keep it till his replacement car comes in on Tuesday (we saw it on Friday and he said he had 5 people already show interest in it and 2 had come to look at it, he had more people lined up for the weekend).

From what I've seen, a 96 or similar Corolla is going to be $3500-4000 for similar vintage.

Now, I'm going to assume that both cars are relatively well-depreciated and won't lose a lot more of their value if we sell after 2-3 years. Is that assumption correct? If it is, then the cost of ownership comes down to the fact that the avalon has more electronics and will drink more gas - potentially an issue with rising gas prices, which i think will stabilize around $3 this year, but my guess is as good as anyone else's.

So what I'm trying to decide is whether it is worth paying more now for the Avalon because it is a more premium car and rides nicer and quieter on the highway. I actually want to get rid of my convertible because it is kind of noisy on the highway.

Advise me! Advice on how to handle the seller of this Avalon would also be nice.

I'm not looking at Camrys because they cost almost as much as Avalons and the fuel economy is almost the same.
    Somewhere on this thread, there is a financial analyst who made her money doing futures predictions. There is a link to her interview on Good Morning America where she predicts, based on GLOBAL consumption rather than just solely NATIONAL consumption, the future floor of gas prices will be $3.00 and, given global consumption increasing much more rapidly than predicted, the USA hitting the Europe-Asia price per gallon range in the next two years (currently about $6 a gallon).

That said, it all seems to be Magic-Eightball stuff.

That also said, having work done on a 4-banger costs less than a 6.
  • my friend recently purchased cheapo coilovers from ebay and wants me to replace his stock parts with these... they are a no name... i'm a body man and not a mechanic and know how to dissassmble the suspension but i'm not sure on how to put the coilovers in... i'm not looking for a full step by step diagram to do this job for him (wouldnt hurt) but just lookin for some tips to get it done quicker or just make it sit better... ooo and also if anyone knows how to change the camber to make it handle a lil better you'd be helpin me out more than you know... all help greatly appreciated... thanks all and i will try to return forum favors
  • rsonersone Posts: 5
    Hi Ken: I have a 2005 corolla s and I am also having problems with the "hot soak" when the car is warm and has a long cranking time before she fires up, I think the best thing we all can do is take the vehicles into the dealers so the problem can be documented in case there is a problem after warranty such as replacing a burnt out starter motor. On a similar note has anyone experienced puffs of smoke upon start up? My corolla only has 39,000kms. and ever since the first oil change I have been running mobil 1 full synthetic oil. Has anyone else had this problem or know the cause?, before I storm into the dealer and demand a new engine.

Cheers, Roger.
    Hi Roger,

I also have a 2005 Corolla S that has had nothing but Mobil 1 since its 5000 mile service. It doesn't smoke, consume oil between changes or show unusual things on the dipstick. So far I'm happy, but I am interested in your smoke issue.

I bought the car new with 20,000 miles of "free" service from the dealer. I ran the factory oil until 5,000 then started with M1 at 5K, 10K, 15K and recently at 20K. Now I plan to change the M1 every 10K only in conjunction with a Toyota service visit. I she doesn't poop out or start acting odd, I'll be good.
  • do you need to weld or cut anything to install coilovers on an 03 corolla?
  • rsonersone Posts: 5
    Thanks for the response. I guess I will be booking that dealer appointment to see what they have to say.
  • frogger2frogger2 Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm thinking about buying a new 2006 corolla LE. Since I'll mostly be driving the car in New England, I was wondering how recent model corollas typically handle in the snow. Do I need to buy different tires than the ones that come with the car?

Also, I've heard some complaints about highway driving in the corolla. Do you find it bumpy or noisy or uncomfortable in any way?

Thanks in advance!
    I'm in the DC area. No snow problems with the factory tires - your call if you want to run a winter tire in the winter.

My '05 hauls butt on the highway. No problems or discomfort. The engine revvs a little high at 75+ but if that bothers you, get a BMW 7-Series. I hear they are quieter.
  • beantownbeantown Posts: 227
    Question about the 2006 Corolla....it's been awhile since I've gone to Toyota.com to configure a Corolla, but did so earlier today. I was surprised to see that on the Corolla's standard and optional equipment page (not the one you see after you insert your zip, but the one that applies to the country as a whole before regional limitations are taken into account), that there was no mention of a sunroof or leather seating, yet these have been regular options since the redesign in 2003 (and in the case of sunroofs, much earlier than 2003). Can you really not get either of these from the factory any more? I'm guessing the price of both will go up if the only way to get them is to have the dealership do them after the purchase (if you don't go with an unrelated aftermarket company)...
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    Both are available, at least in the Western region. Our dealers in the Portland OR area always have a few so equipped, though the price then approaches that of a new Camry, so what's the point?

I consider both to be useless, but to each his own...and NEVER add a sunroof from an aftermarket supplier - a recipe for lots of future problems. Leather is easily installed by just about any dealer - they all have connections to the shops who can do this, and allow for the side air bags, if the car has them.
  • beantownbeantown Posts: 227
    Both are available, at least in the Western region. Our dealers in the Portland OR area always have a few so equipped, though the price then approaches that of a new Camry, so what's the point?

A Corolla with sunroof and leather should only cost around $16-17K at the most; whereas a Camry with those two options will have you looking at $24K+. Sure you could get a stripped Camry CE for about $19K; but you are not getting an equivalently equipped car. Also, if you are looking at the Corolla for fuel economy, the difference in price gets even greater....especially with the 2007 models, which judging by the reviews and posts in the Camry forums, are tougher to get the EPA estimates with (especially in the city).

Not everyone views a Camry as better than a Corolla. For some, it is simply bigger and more expensive.

Leather is easily installed by just about any dealer - they all have connections to the shops who can do this, and allow for the side air bags, if the car has them.

Actually, Bartlett Corp provides the leather kits directly to Toyota for the interiors: they are the Toyota-Approved supplier.

One perk I have seen is having the Bartlett interior installed via the dealer (or more likely a dealer subcontractor) which eliminates any issue with airbag & warranty . . . as this is the product that goes into a "factory" car.

Hope that helps you out . . . .