Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• I just got a price quote from a local dealer on what I believe is a 2002. The MSRP was 17,189 but after the rebate it would be 15,254. 300 dollars under invoice. This included an auto tranny, a sunroof, S convienence package, extra value package #2, alloys, cd player. Pretty much everything I wanted. I don't need a sunroof really in the NW. So desertguy, does your Manual S have one power outlet? Does the automatic get an extra outlet? Or do you not have one?

If you goto the popular mechanics website, under automotive and asian spy reports they have a picture of what may be the new Corolla.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    My S has an outlet where the cigarette lighter would be. With the auto you should have 2 outlets.
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    It's a known fact that because of the rising yen a few years ago, Japanese manufacturers had to decontent their cars to keep them competitively priced.

Do you really think that the Corolla has been decontented during the 2000-2002 model years? I was looking at my Corolla tonight and I don't find anything that's below average when compared to its competitors. The interior trim (plastics, fabrics), for example, is one of the best in its category, and it seems that Toyota has put in even more content for the 2001 facelift, such as adding an extra power outlet for the automatic version.
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 381
    Re: redline--guess you will have to hear it--if it's screaming it's too high for break-in

98 as a used car for my son want abs, does it come with it or an option. which models (corolla, prism) have abs or will i just have to just check the details i wonder if it was a common thing to have. will i have problems getting a used one with abs.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Toyota made few bones about what their strategy was with the 97 Camry and 98 Corolla - take as much cost out of the car as possible, and hope they had done it in ways that the customer wouldn't notice. The most prominent example I can point to in the Corolla was the deletion of the seat height adjustment for the driver in the LE. This presented real problems for my mother-in-law, and we had to resort to add-on cushions for the front seats - they work well enough, and she is thrilled with the car, but this was an example of a step backwards in features that will be addressed in the '03 redesign. The continued presence of that antiquated 3-spd automatic is another example...look for that to go away, as well.

The '02 Camry redesign shows that Toyota knows it has to start moving back to a richer "base" level of equipment for our market. I think the '03 Corolla will continue this trend...
    ...has been available as an option from the beginning, but is as scarce as hen's teeth. Looking for a used one with ABS is like searching for a needle in a haystack. The Prizm might in fact be a better target for a used car - more of them came with ABS, keeping with GM's belief that this should be a nearly universal feature. You will have to look under the hood for the ABS controller, however - get a mechanic to show you what to look for. 90% of owners couldn't pass a quiz on the topic if you asked them, so accepting someone's word for it is unreliable.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    Well, if you start the car and an ABS light comes on, it is a safe bet that the car has ABS. ; )
  • ata3001ata3001 Posts: 30
    Four months & 6000 totally trouble free miles have passed since purchasing a new 2001 Corolla S impulse red w/5 spd, tilt/slide moonroof, spoiler, alloys, fog lights (std with s pkg), deluxe ETR/CD w/4 speakers, V.I.P. RS-3000 security sys, all weather guard pkg, heave duty rear defogger, cruise control, tilt wheel, value pkg. #2 (air, digital clock, pwr windows & locks, power dual color-keyed mirrors), outside temp gauge, carpeted floor mats & Michelin tires. Out the door price, $16000, tax included. I have not had to return to the dealer yet for any reason. This car has an incredibly smooth ride, which means the handling is just so-so. No squeaks, no rattles, & everything fits together, as it should. My weekly gas mileage 50/50 city/hwy is averaging 38 mpg with a high of 46 mpg on the hwy & a lowest of 34 mpg (1 tankful when new). Here's my question: Why do others believe the styling of the 2001/2002 corolla is outdated & prefer the type of styling found on the current civics & on the next generation corolla? Take another look! The headlights look huge. Why do automobile designers believe we all want those UGLY license plates as the centerpiece for the rear of the car? They locate it right in the center of the trunk lid. UGLY!!!! IMHO. They should be down as low as possible & as inconspicuous as possible as in the current design. Why do so many people believe this is a much more up-to-date, nicer, & fresher design? I simply don't understand that line of thinking. The current design also has very distinctive & attractive headlights as well as nicely integrated fog lamps. I simply don't understand what is outdated with its looks! Will someone please enlighten me? I know the next generation corolla will have more power, etc... but why introduce ugly (IMHO) styling as stated above? It will look more like the Ford Focus...GO FIGURE!!!!! I've owned much more expensive cars in the past, yet I believe this Corolla is the "best" car I've owned. More expensive, even at many times the cost of this car does not automatically mean better. Better means just what the Corolla offers & that is: low cost of ownership, great reliability, & high resale value. A car that is "faster" does not mean its "better". Its just "faster". Remember that!
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Enjoyed your post. I think the excitement about the 03 stems from larger people feeling cramped in the current model, especially in the rear seat. I really wanted to get a Corolla, but after comparing the driving position, legroom, and what you could and could not do to get comfortable inside, chose the Elantra GT hatch instead. If the 03s were here, and it was anything like the room inside the Echo, it would have been a tougher choice. I also found the Corolla seats somewhat lacking in support and with no driver height adjustment or lumbar support.

Interesting to note that I paid exactly what you did. I got: A/C, full power including heated side mirrors, fog lights, ABS, traction control, 4 wheel disc brakes, alloys, 15 inch Michelins, trip computer, 6 speaker AM/FM/CD, bi-level center arm rest and storage console, moonroof, the rear hatch, split folding rear seats, intermittent rear wiper and variable intermittent front wipers, leather interior, and the big Hyundai warranty.

Not here to argue build quality, resale, reliability, etc. I concede all that. All I can say is that the GT has a solid feel and appears to be put together well. No problems in first 6,000 miles. MPGs can't touch the Corolla...I get 33 or so on the highway and 27 around town, but it is a heavier car with a bigger engine and a lot more room inside and in cargo carrying capacity.
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    I like both my Corollas. My 6 foot self would like to have a bigger rear seat when I replace my 4 door model.

My 95 is tolerable.
  • I absolutely love the styling of the 2001-2002 Corolla S. The spoiler, foglights and alloys make the exterior look sharp. I also like the black sport interior. I really think they should just leave the design alone for a few more years and just add some more power. Screw the cab forward design, in the future just stretch the wheelbase of the car. That's how the corolla has always grown. I don't care much about rear leg room myself. I'm the one up front driving, and I don't have kids. Let's start a petition, stop toyota from making the new design!!!
    I, too, rarely have rear seat occupants. I personally love the Corolla's styling. The Corolla probably isn't the most stylish car out there, but I think it has a certain flair and sporty style. It's not a box design like the Golf, it isn't bug-eyed like the Neon or the previous gen Civic... it has a style of its own. I think that having a stylish car that's not necessarily a huge attention grabber is probably in good thing, since it will probably still look stylish down the road in a few years. The Celica, for example, looks great, but what if future car trends don't follow its styling cues? The next gen Corolla looks good, but it has styling cues borrowed from the Prius and the Echo.

The current Corolla rocks! I'm signing that petition!
  • britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    that my Corolla looks sharp - I love the way it looks from the front and the back - it is proportioned well and is the perfect size for me - I also rarely carry passengers so the cramped legroom in the back doesn't bother me - a friend of mine was seriously thinking about a new Prizm but then she saw my Corolla and is now wanting a '01 "S" because it is such an attractive little car!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Prism hasn't had a "facelift" like the new Corollas, right?

I also think the Corolla is very well proportioned, and the size of the car is great when parking in tight areas. I'm starting to think that the Corolla really is a small version of the Camry. This car is so comfortable and quiet!
    Agreed! Someone referred to the Corolla as a "baby Camry" - sounds good to me - I don't know about the Prizm having a facelift - I have seen a few of them around town - they are not "ugly" IMO - I just think the Corolla is much better-looking, much better styling...
    Hey, how's your Corolla doing? We bought our Corollas at the same time, if you remember correctly.

No, Prisms aren't ugly, but it's very obvious that it's a rebadged Corolla. The interior layout is supposedly a bit different than the Corolla's. In any case, the Prism isn't sold here in Canada by Chevrolet, probably because the Prism sales would overlap the Cavalier's, the latter being a strong seller (or has been) here in Canada. Corollas are very popular here with everyone, from 20-something people to retired people. The S coupe is attracting the younger buyers though.
    ...with a "z", is how it is inexplicably spelled by GM. And the interior layout and materials are actually noticeably different, with more of a GM feel than I think most people would like, at least if you are used to Toyota's approach to life.

As for the current Corolla vs its likely '03 replacement, I will say up front I find the current car suitably handsome and easy to look at, and am certainly a fan of how the car drives. I prefer the extra refinement and better ride it offers vs the better handling and lighter feel of some of its competitors.

With that statement on the table, unlike the rest of you, I think the new design [as revealed in the various spy shots] looks just fine...yes, less formal, and moving more to the new worldwide corporate look that Toyota is using, but I find nothing in this area of the car to get worried about. And the improvements that I think are part of the new design are going to be worth waiting for.

The Echo, incidentally, is a very handsome car in the form it was INTENDED to have, namely the hatchback version that is sold everywhere else in the world as the Yaris. Since there is this myth that persists in the auto marketing world that Americans won't buy hatchbacks [though this is gradually starting to change], Toyota insisted on grafting that ridiculous square trunk on the Echo for our market, and the result it a rolling eyesore. Presumably they can do better when the design is supposed to be both hatch and sedan from the get-go, as the new Corolla will be [but no hatch for us, of course...we get the Matrix instead].
    My car is doing just great - no complaints - still getting over 30 MPG/city - no rattles or squeaks or anything like that - I did get a tiny paint chip on my hood though which I was able to cover with my small bottle of touch-up paint I got from the dealer - considering all of the road construction around where I live I guess that's not too surprising - I'm closing in on 2500 miles - got my first oil change at about 1950 miles (free) at the dealer...I have seen pics of the new '03 Corolla - it is certainly alot different than the current model - reminds me a little of the Focus - I think it looks good - but I also like what I have - I guess Toyota figured it was time for a major re-styling of the Corolla - I'm sure it will do well.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    This is the end of the line for the Prizm, as the assembly line in CA will be tooling up for the Vibe.

As to the "S", why doesn't a sport model have folding rear seats, let alone split folding rear seats? Seems that Toyota missed something here. The "S" should offer all of the functional items of the LE.
  • gsbhasingsbhasin Posts: 21
    Hi Guys,
    Got a new black 2002 Corolla CE, auto, AC , floor mats with 10,880 on about full cash.

This is in South California. Is it a good deal?

thanks
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    What features does the LE offer standard/available that the S doesn't/can't have. What features does the S have that the LE doesn't/can't ? I already know about the black interior, steering wheel, and split rear seats. Thanks!
  • kbuikbui Posts: 15
    Considering the base price of the CE (before destination fees and options) is already $11,624, I think that $10,880 with the options you described is an excellent price. Did the dealer give you a reason why he's selling the car for so low a price, or did I misunderstand something?
    The LE model has the heavy-duty rear window defogger, the trunk light, digital quartz clock...I believe the "S" model comes standard with fog lamps plus the features you mentioned...that's all that comes to mind...I have the LE - really like it alot!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    If anyone here is familiar with Canadian pricing, and has a moment to spare..., can you please respond to jkbs2000's question in this Women's Auto Board discussion: Toyota Corolla - Your Opinion On My Offer Price. Thanks! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    The S has a digital clock doesn't it? I'm pretty sure. Does the heavy duty defogger not come in one of those weather packages?
  • I think your right, the heavy duty defogger comes with that weather package.
    Yes, I think you are right - it does come with the clock - I was just trying to remember what I read in my brochure months back - Toyota's website will give you all the specifics - Toyota.com - a friend of mine is considering the "S" model - very cool car!
    I believe you posted a while ago that you had modified your Corolla to boost it up to 220hp. What are your mods?

Thanks!
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    Given that Toyota has dropped the CE trim for the 2002 Camry, I wonder if Toyota will do the same when the next generation Corolla hits our shores. Does anyone have any ideas?