Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    They say gas prices in some area can reach as high as $5 a gallon. The reasoning behind it is some sort of regain in economic balance. I truly don't understand the logic behind it, but that's what the news said...
    The government is trying to

prevent

it, not enforce it.

http://www.nypost.com/apstories/V1209.htm

• Hi, how much would you pay for a 1993-1996 Toyota Corolla with maybe 70,000-100,000 miles on it? We are looking for a car for my son. We dont want to spend too much. Would a Corolla with this many miles still be reliable enough for two or three years? What type of condition would it be in, would the automatic transmission be a high worry of going out or would it last. Please help us out on this . Thanks
    By the way hows your Corolla's running especially the older ones 93-00 and how many miles , are they reliable?? thanks
  • A 1972 Corolla would be reliable if it was taken care of. Same goes for any 93 up model.
  • My 95 Corolla has 110K. I would probably put a value of 5000 on it.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    My car now has 53k and it has been very reliable! I had a brake job done at 47k on both the front and the rears and last week had my rotors resurfaced. Besides 2 sets of tires and oil changes every 3k-4k miles, this car is great! My last Corolla lasted 10 years. Go buy one, it's a great car!
  • flootfloot Posts: 22
    I have a 1996 Corolla STD (3 speed auto tranny) sedan that I purchased last year from a used car dealership. It was an off-lease vehicle and now has appx. 45,000 miles on it. All I have done is routine maintenance. Great little car -- I don't think you can go wrong with a used Corolla that has been taken care of. Good luck!
  • mpynempyne Posts: 120
    you might want to check the geo prizm. they are 99% the same car under the geo(gm) name. check autotrader.com they have allot listed there.
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    The $13,500 price I quoted was before TTL. With the options, the car (2002 Corolla S) came just a tad under Edmunds' TMV. I'm pretty happy with the car and the price I paid. I think I could have gotten another couple of hundred lower if I was willing to dicker for another hour or so, but I had two kids with me and it was wearing them out. BTW, I'm in the Washington DC area, not especially noted for car deals. Toyotas are perpetually hot here, so I didn't think I was going to get much of a break.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    This is a picture of the 2002 Corolla in Japan it is supposed to come here for the 2003 model year.

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/exterior/images/ex03_svg.jpg

This is the wagon version - which looks great, but will probably not make it here because we will have the rather strange looking matrix.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaFielder/exterior/images/ex01_svg.jpg

Enjoy

• All I can say is that if this is the replacement for the current Corolla, Toyota buyers will have some getting used to in terms of its design. The general shape of the new Corolla is much more rounded, and it reminds me a bit of a Toyota Echo "writ large."
    im a current corolla owner 2002 and i think the 2003 corolla is ugly. i personally think it looks like the civic sedan. the car looks cheap looking
    they couldve used the design they have now and enhanced it. just my opinion
    Actually, it seems as if Toyota copied the Renault Scenic's front- which isn't too bad, but it's a big departure from the current model.
  • Hi guys,
    I bought a new Corolla CE 2002 Auto over a month ago and have 2200 miles on it now. My daily commute is 100 miles round. I was planning to take the car from Orange county to San Fransisco over a weekend. Its about 800 miles round trip.
    Does anyone know if its ok to drive a new car that much over 2 days and 400 miles at a stretch?

Also, when do u get an oil change? The manual says 5000 miles but I have read people saying 3000 miles in this forum.
    Thank you
  • Your Corolla is certainly broken-in with 2200 miles on the odo. I would not hesitate to take that trip. My comute is 90 miles round trip but it's get on the freeway, shift into 5th and cruise to Palm Desert before shifting out of 5th again. Great for mileage. I just got my first oil change on my 2002 S and it was at 4800 miles. My type of driving is the easiest on oil as the car always gets well warmed up and many of the contaminents are burned off. Commuting in Orange Co. has got to be a lot of stop and go. At least it was when I commuted from Mission Viejo to LA. The dealers all put out 3,000 because they make more money that way. I think sticking with what your factory manual says is just fine.
  • Hi do any of you have a 93-97 Corolla that you bought used with an Automatic whats the milage and how well does it run were looking for a used Camry or Corola for our son that costs under 6 thousand dollars ! please help
    A few weeks back the Car Talk guys addressed this issue. They said that if you use good oil like the owner's manual says to, you should do fine sticking with the recommended maintenance interval, which is 7500 miles. If you want to be on the safe side, change it at 5000 miles. 3000 miles is overkill unless you drive in a severe condition.
  • jlim1jlim1 Posts: 50
    Jeprox: The all-new Corolla's looks can be found at: www.toyota.jp
    Asian-new Corolla has been released into market for quite some time now. I also learned that the new Corolla is a leap of improvement from current generation's shortcomings - for instance, crampy interior room, and dull styling.
    The North American market will definitely take a while to like the new Toyota's style found in new Camry and Corolla (soon in Winter/Spring 2002).
    Hope this helps.
  • jlim1jlim1 Posts: 50
    The Toyota's Japanese site is actually:
    www.toyota.co.jp
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...that the North American version of the Corolla will have different styling than the Japanese car. How different remains to be seen, and I think the differences are likely to be minor, but don't assume the Japanese Corolla, especially the sedan, is the car we will see here. Certainly, the Matrix gives you some clues about the front on the car, and that is not radically different from the homeland Corolla in general theme, just in details. Suffice to say, though, that the three-box sedan look with the more "formal" front end is probably a thing of the past.
  • When is the 2003 Corolla supposed to start selling in the US?
  • does the CE auto 3 spd go? Mine tends to make a bit of noise of if I push it over 70 mph?

And the tachometer does not have an RPM reader so i could see if it goes over the redline....
  • This is an article on the Toyota Matrix on caranddriver.com. The way I read the article, it almost sounds like the Corolla is in jeopardy with the Matrix coming out...what that means I don't know. I don't think Toyota would kill off the Corolla for the US. No way that can happen!

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/features/2001/october/200110_preview_toyotamatrix.xml

• jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    little confused with your statement...
    "And the tachometer does not have an RPM reader so i could see if it goes over the redline.... "
    i think you meant the speedometer.

thank you jlim1 for the toyota site. i saw the car few weeks back after i posted the question about 2003 corolla. the 2003 model looks like a bigger version of echo. i personally think 2003 corollas will be more along the lines of the matrix. asian models rarely makes it to north america. just my opinion.
  • jeprox,
    man, i am sorry. i meant the speedometer.
    it makes a bloody lotta noise if i pull it over 70 mph, not the road noise (which is there after 50) but the engine noise and its not loud groan, but kinda deep hissing noise that is audible only after 70. And this noise appears like something is grinding fast somewhere, some rotor or chain.....
  • I was wondering if anyone can give me any info on the corolla 4wd wagon I found a 1988 but am worried about the reliability of this car. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Your help is greatly appreciated thanks.
    The Corolla's brand [image] is a big issue for us," says Takeshi Yoshida, Toyota's chief engineer for the Corolla and resident small-car czar. The current four-door vanilla Corolla "is not a vehicle that conceptually is going to appeal to a younger buyer base."

i think the current design of corolla is extrememly nice, it has a very classy, non-offensive look. am i the only one who thinks this?? the front end grill is similar to the is 300, the back end has the sweet lexus look. i dont like the matrix personally. who needs another hatch back. some of us like sedans and coupes.
    I guess the Corolla S is Toyota's attempt at luring the young buyers into their showrooms. I bought one, but then I'm hardly young. I don't think the 20 something crowd will be interested in Corollas as they are much more inclined towards the Civics, Focuses and the Jetta/Golfs. Unfortunately most of Toyota's lineup (except for the trucks and SUVs) is appealing only to the 30 and higher segment of the population. Its image problem in the under-40 consumer base in its home market is very depressing. The young Japanese buyer are much more likely to buy a German import than a Toyota, as Toyota has the image akin to Buick has here.
  • jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    i personally like the corolla and prefer it over the civic. if only more aftermarket parts are available for the corolla, i think corolla's can be a big hit with the younger crowd.

gsbhasin:
    70mph is not that fast and a corolla should be able to handle that speed - even with 3 speed auto. the hissing sound may be coming from your windows/doors. my corolla used to have this sound coming from the window/door seals if i drive past 130KPH.
    hope this helps.
  • I think the Corolla looks great - mine is a 2001 LE - had a Civic before this - 1986 hatchback DX - a darn good car too - before that I had a Corolla hatchback - 1980 - another good car - I prefer the look of the Corolla over the new Civic - but I have seen pics of the 2003 Corolla and I think it looks good too - I'm way past "twenty-something"!