Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    is very pleasing IMO - I especially like the fact that I've got several storage areas (mine is a '01 LE) - also, my glove compartment is huge compared to most of the small cars I looked at.
  • jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    i believe you only get nice interior on american cars if you buy upscale models like cadillac, suburban, etc.
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    jeprox: You're right... the interior of the Olds Aurora was very nice, but there was a huge difference between that and the Intrigue sitting beside it.

eharri: I wouldn't say Corolla plastics are cheap... they're actually on par with the Camry's. If you want to see ugly looking plastics, look inside a Cadillac Catera. Ouch.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    One really dated looking part in a new Corolla is the transmission indicator. It's looks older than MTV vj's and was probably used on the 1959 Toyopet!
  • I agree that the Corolla's is much nicer. Toyota took the time and money to make the interior nicer. There is not better example than that of the rear seat. Corolla's back seats are split folding (LE). The two side seats have movable heard rests where as the Cavalier doesn't really have them. The Corolla's back seat is also much more carved and shaped rather than being a flat board of cushion like in the Cavalier.
  • What website has pictures of the all new 2003 Toyota Corolla? Thanks.
  • www.toyota.co.jp has pictures of their 2002 Corolla which will be our 2003. There is an English version for you.
  • Can someone please let me know a website in the English language where I can see pictures of the all new 2003 Toyota Corolla? The website that coolguyky7 gave me is in Japanese and from what I can tell there is no English language conversion. Thanks anyway coolguyky7.
  • Hey patrick45, the new Corolla pix *are* there.

Just go to:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/english/

and click on the SHOWROOM link. This will take you to Toyota's automall link:

http://gazoo.com/eng/auto/frameset.asp

Just scroll down till you see "Corolla" and a picture of the sedan (there's also a hatchback and station wagon over there).

After you do that, click the "Online Catalogue" button. You can then view the actual catalogue you'd get if you walked into a Toyota store in Japan... There's some decent, big pictures of the new Corolla there. The luxo version is pretty classy looking, IMHO.

Take a look at some of the interior shots and you'll see some things, like the Corolla's satellite NAV system, and front seats that rotate so they face the door when it's open, that you *know* will never make it over here.

• jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    the front looks like a bigger version of echo. rear looks like an older honda accord or the mazda protege.
    overall, seems to me its an echo/prius mix. they should name it toyota echorius! :)
    car also looks taller and narrower.
  • ravvie4meravvie4me Posts: 110
    Are you for certain that Japan's 2002 Corolla is going to be our (US/Canada) 2003 Corolla?
    Does that mean it's coming from Japan as opposed to California and Canada?

-RAVvie4me
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Well, here we go again:

No, the car is going to be produced in North America, at the same two plants as now. No, the appearance of the North American version is unlikely to be an EXACT match for the car you see in the Japanese market...

BUT...the NA version is unlikely to be wildly different, either. The Japanese Corolla is clearly a member of the new Toyota Corporate Family Styling philosophy, so like it or not, what you see is very likely to be 90% of what we will get. Just look at the Matrix, which IS in pretty much final production form, and you will get all the clues you need.

Or the RAV4...or the new Camry...or the ES300...big lights, pulled back over the fenders, higher roofline, a little rounder shape to the roof...these are all elements of where Toyota wants to go right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see on obvious detail changed, and that is the nose dimple that contains the Toyota badge on the front...again, look at how they handled the Matrix...look for the badge to get buried in the grill and the hood to have a smoother shape right down to the grill. But the overall look? Won't be radically different from what you see on the website.
  • Too bad the Toyota wont' bring the 2003 4WD corolla to the US! I am sure it would draw sales from Subrau. The 2003 corolla looks a lot better than the subeis...imho :o)

driver36
  • Well, most of Toyota's cars that are in Japan look like their counterparts here. The Camry, ES300 (Windom), SC430 (Soarer), 4Runner (Hilux), and RAV4 (yes, it too!) are all pretty much the same in both countries. There might be a few model grade differences along with engine choices and other luxury features. For the most part, the new Corolla will look like the Japanese one. The taillights may have a different design, but will retain the same shape. The Corolla's production will take place in Cali and Canada. A long time ago, I heard the 2003 Corolla would be "European styled" and that's what it looks like to me. I absolutely love it and would only love it more if it comes in the Japanese sporty model as our S model comes and if it had those swivel seats!
    If you want AWD, that's what the Matrix is designed to address for our market...
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    I would think that the '03 Corolla will share some of its styling cues with the Matrix, especially since they are related. Supposedly it is going to be introduced in the spring. Production is supposed to start in Jan.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    The number of variations that Toyota (in Japan) has on the Corolla is amazing, and impressive, considering they can design such an impressive looking interior for the highest end model within the parameters of selling the base model at nearly half that MSRP (of the Corolla with nav, 4wd, etc.)
    Plus, the different body styles are really interesting.
    ~alpha
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    alpha: When GM and Chrysler tried that, it didn't work out so well. Part and design commonality only can go so far, but in the end few people will pay 2x for what is essentially an econobox.
  • Is there any more word on initial production dates? I know that Toyota built the 2002 Camry for about one month, then launched its sales. By what I know now...Corolla should be for sale in February. Hope so, otherwise I'm stuck with driving the parents' Sequoia or Solara 5 speed.
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    I don't think you can say that you'd be "stuck" driving a Solara or Sequoia....
  • From looking at the pictures of the Japanese version of the Corolla, it appears to be a winner. I certainly hope the version for the U.S. is exactly the same or at least close to it. It is very attractive. The interior appears to be dramatically upgraded from the current version. In fact, the interior looks very Lexus-like with the two tone dash and attractive gauges. I'm very much looking forward to the debut of this all new 2003 Corolla.
  • Ha, they are both nice cars....but I don't want to only drive a HUGE SUV or a stick shift car.
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 381
    On the same page they talk about a hybrid minivan. I have trouble with the mm to inch conversion, but i wonder if it's coming over here and what size is it compared to other US minivans, and acceleration. some are rather slowwwww. i'd get a hybrid if reasonable room, and acceleration. I sat in the prius, and was impressed, but didn't drive it.
    It's smaller, and no, don't hold your breath.

There is the perception that the US market will not support more than a handful of models with overall lengths of less than 190" or so [Camry / Sienna size], especially in Minivans. The list of interesting cars from all countries that I would like to see here, but never will, would cover enough paper to sink a ship from sheer weight.

Remember, Toyota wants to source the vast majority of the cars it sells in North America, from plants in North America. And that will always limit the choices you see here...
  • Hi people,
    I got a 2002 Corolla. The maintenance manual suggests 5,000 miles interval for cold weather or unpaved or trailer usage. It suggests 7,500 miles otherwise.

I am in Los Angeles. I use the freeway to work in uncongested hours.
    Is it really required to do the 5,000 mile service? Or is it that a waste of money?
    ...stick with the 7500 schedule.
  • Does anyone out there have any idea what the 2003 Corolla will look like for the North American market? I went to the Toyota of Japan website and it only provides what the Corolla looks like for their market. Did the 2003 Corolla ever appear at any auto shows in the past couple of years. Does anyone know of any websites where there might be some spy photos of the all new Corolla? Any information or input would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Go back about 100 posts and read forward; we have had this discussion, probably multiple times over, but certainly in the past 10 days.

Look at the front of the Toyota Matrix; look at the Japanese/Euro version. Between the two of them, that's close enough...
  • I think that the new Corolla will look ALMOST EXACTLY like the Japanese one. I have this 2002 Car Preview magazine. It had the 2003 Corolla, which looked exactly like the Japanese one. It's really nice!
  • What's the full name of this car magazine where you saw a 2003 Corolla for the U.S. market? Is this publication still available at bookstores/newstands do you think? I have yet to have someone show me what the North American Corolla will look like. You'd think since the all new 2003 Corolla is supposed to debut sometime in January or February 2002 that there would be some photos floating around out there. That's only 2-3 months away. Thanks for any information you can provide.