Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Saw the website and the car looks great, especially the 1.8 engine and the interior.
  • Tundradude - I assume you mean 15 inch wheels. I have been thinking of doing the same but my 14" are nice alloys. What size tires did you put on. I want to go at least plus one size.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Man, I really hope the Corolla we get over here is that Corolla Altis with the 1.8 VVT-i engine... its really a sharp looking car!
    ~alpha
  • count me in on a test ride. I like it better than the Civic as far as styling, and from what I have seen, the materials used seem to look better than the Civic as well. I hope this is the new Corolla that comes out in Feb. Can anyone give out any info on this new Corolla?
  • Yes tires and wheels

They are 195/50 15 for my older Corolla (89 GT-S). 185/60 14 came on the car originally, even though I had 13's before I switched to the 15's.

I run 195/65 14 on my 95.
  • jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    well, rumor is that we may get something like the corolla altis or the japanese version or the european version. so take your pick! :)

the altis is better looking than the japanese version. that 1.8 vvt-i with 145hp is cool!
  • Does anyone have an estimate of the difference between amounts of insurance on a brand new Corolla vs. one that is a year or so old (for a teenager.)
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    Sounds like you're setting your eye on the Corolla. After reading your posts in other forums, is this the car for you?

As for insurance, the best way is to give your insurance broker a ring. I'd say that there isn't a noticeable difference for a year older car.
  • How about the insurance difference between a 97 and a brand new 2003? That's why it gets hairy when I mention "new car" to the parents. They think (and are probably right) that the insurance is considerable higher on a new car. I really do like that particular Corolla. I must be a sucker for that particular model in that color with gold package! :-) Hopefully they might have a few 2001 S models coming in as used company cars from Toyota, where the parents work. Thanks Canc!
    There probably is a difference in price between a 97 and a 2003 Corolla. The residual value is less on a 97 than on a 2003.
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    Does the AC automatically come on when you turn on the window defroster or the combo defroster/heater setting? I noticed that when I used that, I get condensation dripping from under the hood after I park the car. I didn't know the AC was on, since the AC light didn't come on. Can anyone shed light on this?
    yes, the compressor comes on automatically in that mode. The 2000 Corolla's light came on automatically, but not in the 2001. Odd.
  • Does anyone know if we will be getting the European Corolla or the Japanese Corolla? I'm rooting for the Japanese one.
  • iontrapiontrap Posts: 138
    Where in the engine compartment of my 99 Corolla do I find the AC compressor? I have a clogged drain line that needs to be cleared.
  • dadx4dadx4 Posts: 11
    Just wondering if any updates on the new Corolla. Is it still coming out in the US in Feb 02? I have a 97 Camry and a 01 Camry and want to replace the 97 in Feb or March next year. Would like a good mpg commuter car for work (45 round trip) and the 01 Corolla spec at 38 mpg looks good.

I found the information on the Corolla Altis at Toyota of the Phillipines. It looks sharp. Is this what they are going to bring here? Anyone know?

www.corollaaltis.com/index.html, whi
  • Well Toyota knows but they aren't saying yet. The body style won't make much difference for an economical commuter car. The engine will. I would bet they stick with the latest VVT four. I have a 2002 and it is extremely peppy and I get and honest 44 mpg on my 90 mile round trip commute which is all freeway. I must add that I have a stick.
  • We still have not bought our son a car. We are really looking at a Camry LE OR CE , as he is 6'2 tall and doesn't much like the Corolla. All we can afford to finance is 11,000 $ and the only camry we want is AFTER 1997-2001, is there any STILL RELIABLE running camrys this new for 11,000 ? We wonder if a Camry with 80,000 miles is still new enough to drive 30 miles a day and last for the next five years, and what kind of maintance will this car need? Are the transmissions long lasting we already have a small Civc and dont prefer a Corolla, so HELP about Camry's do the dealers sell them for about 10thousand used any? and what should we expect the engines to run to, thanks so much!
    Truckdude1-
  • dadx4dadx4 Posts: 11
    desertguy:

I am interested in an auto as the wife does not care for sticks. I see that the Toyota Matrix on the United Kingdom sites has a wheelbase of 102 inches and it states it is based on the new gen Corolla. Also, the Altis seems to be 102 wheelbase as it works out to that when you convert the mm specs to inches from the Toyota of the Philippines site. I hope they used a couple of those inches for rear leg room.

Anyone know of any site where mpg info on the Altis is posted? For various engines and trans.
    the corolla altis is a beautiful car - with the 1.8

we may or may not get that look. more people seem to think we'll (north america) will the get the japanese version which looks more like a bigger echo.

read somewhere that 2003 corolla may be out as early as spring 2002.

http://www.motorista.com.ph/roadtest/review_coraltis01.html

http://www.altis.com.my/

• medardmedard Posts: 12
    I wonder if anyone knows what are the required 30K/60K/90K maintence on a 1999 Corolla? Thanks.

Medard
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    My local paper (Minneapolis Star-Tribune) had a brief article on the 2003 Corolla today. They had a picture, but it was of the 2002 model. :-( The good news is that they said it will have an all-new body, chassis, and interior, and it will start selling in the U.S. this February. No surprises there. The bad news is that they said the engine would be the same 1.8L unit as in the current model. I'd be surprised if that happens, given the availability of the new 145hp 1.8L engine and the fact that most competitors offer more than the current model's 125 horses. Or maybe they'll offer the 125hp unit in the base models and the more powerful engine in the Sport model--that would make sense.
  • Does anyone know where the Japanese Corolla was styled at? Was it at CALTY? Where was the Euro Corolla styled?
  • kingwkingw Posts: 6
    My mom is determined to get a 2001 Corolla CE. She's thrifty. My question for you all is do you know anything about the longevity/reliability/efficiency of the 3 spd transmission that comes standard in the CE, compared to the 4 spd transmission that is standard in the LE? Any Toyota mechanics out there? I would appreciate input.

Thanks
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    The 3 speed transmission is a bad compromise. Though cheaper initially, it will cost your mother money long-term. Its highest gear is not as high as is the 4, which means more stress on the engine, lower fuel economy, and, most importantly TO ME, more noise. The 4 speed is a LOT quieter. It should tell you something that virtually no other manufacturer (other than the Koreans) even offers a three speed automatic any more, and many luxury imports are going to SIX speed automatics.

In fact, MY mother's Corolla (actually a Geo Prizm but the same car) has the four speed and I STILL find myself trying to make sure it IS actually in overdrive. Even the 4's gearing could be a bit higher for the expressway, but the three is actually quite annoying.
  • britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    I agree with the previous poster - talk your mom into the 4-speed - that's what I have - all of the articles and reviews I read on the Corolla (my is a '01) recommended the 4-speed over the 3-speed - I get between 30 -32 MPG in the city using 89 octane -
    4spd auto is definitely better than 3 spd.
    less wear and less noise. to people who dont drive on highways, it's ok. i personally prefer 4spd or anything higher.
  • cdguycdguy Posts: 7
    The 4 speed is the way to go. It is worth the extra money for sure. They seem to hold up better than the 3 speeds too.
  • Any opinions on this price thru an auto wholesaler for a 2001 LE, PW,PL,power mirrors, AC,CC AM/FM/Cass/6-changer CD with 9600 miles on it? Carfax gives it a clean bill of health and says it had a single, private owner. Red color[not bad but not first choice on that one],car appears in excellent shape. Dealer appears ok or at least conceals his criminal background very well.Would get car checked out @Toyo dealer first but I suspect there is not a lot to discover. Anyway, this looks very good to me and car is probably worth 12500 to 13000 or so.
    Dealer lists it for 11400 and I bet he will take 11000 or so. Any opinions or suggestions are welcome!!
    Don
  • kingwkingw Posts: 6
    Thanks everyone for your input. My gut said 4 spd, but I really needed more than just that to go by. Thanks all...