Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Folks,

Because the 2003 Corolla shares many of the same components as the Matrix sport wagon, let's see how long before Toyota decides to build a "GT" model with a true sport suspension and the 180 bhp engine (which should easily drop into the Corolla's engine compartment). Can you say "Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V beater"? :-)
  • What five models? I only know of Accord and Civic Si.
  • cp4hcp4h Posts: 18
    Anybody remember the glory of AE92 race cars ?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...will introduce the Civic Si, Accord, Civic Hybrid sedan and Pilot SUV within the next 8 months. I'm not sure any of this makes much impression on what Toyota thinks it has to do, but whatever...
  • Toyota will also introduce many new models this year: The Corolla, Matrix, 4Runner, Sienna as well as a restyled Land Cruiser, Avalon, Tundra and Echo.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    That's only 4.
  • At 35.4 inches, the '03 Corolla matches the Mazda Protege, and is 0.6 inches behind the Civic sedan. I'm 6'1" and fit in the back of the Protege with the driver's seat pushed all the way back, my knees not touching anything. It ain't how I'd want to spend a cross-country trip, but a drive to a restaurant or a family function would be no problem. My kids will have plenty of room.

And, unlike the Protege, the Corolla comes with not one but two rear cupholders (Civic EX has one, lower grades come with none).

I can't wait for the Chicago Auto Show. With the Civic, Pro, and new Corolla, I have a very difficult decision to make this Spring. They are all very nice economy sedans. (Sentra too small for me; VW too expensive; Hyundai dealer too far away and, with Kia and Daewoo...maybe next time when reliability is proven.)

twist
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    because they invariably add useless options and accessories that could be $500 to a few thousand$ over MSRP. I think it's hard to find a Toyota without this surprise fluff. Try configuring a car on Toyota's website, then go down to the dealer and see if you can find a vehicle that matches that configuration. Chances are that vehicle will have a bunch of unnecessary stuff added to it.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    I rather get a AE86 GT-S as a project car
  • You are right. If the Accord and versions of Civic can be included let's include Toyota's.

REDESIGN within 2002-2003
    Camry, Corolla, Matrix, 4Runner, Sienna (and Solara, possibly 2004 at latest. I believe and shouldn't it be time for Land Cruiser as well?)

REFRESH
    Celica, ECHO, MR2-Spyder, Avalon and Tundra.

Lexus has its new GX470 SUV coming out also. ES300 was just redesigned with refresh of RX300 and GS series

As you can see, most of Toyota's vehicles are undergoing changes no doubt drawing more interest. The new Tacoma has drawn unexpected interest. Toyota is building up its supplies of Corolla like never before.
  • badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    You're right -- I have one, an 85. I drive it far more than my turbocharged 2000 LE, because it not only looks better, it's a lot more fun to drive.

Funny thing is, I seriously considered buying an AE86 before turbo-ing my 2000 and got talked out of it. As much fun as my 2000 has been (sucking the doors off Mustangs in a lowly Corolla is a hoot!), I'm looking to sell my 2000 and keep my 85. Next project? Maybe a gen1 MR2 or mid-80s Supra.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    I received the option prices for the new Corolla and it looks like they are doing what they did with the new Camry. More content for a lower Msrp. Optioned out and LE, with cruise, 3-in-1 stereo, all weather guard package, and floor mats, comes out at $16,480.00 destination charge included. Will post more tomorrow night.

: )

Mackabee
  • dadx4dadx4 Posts: 11
    I may be mistaken, but isn't Honda working on what they call the Model X. A sort of square, high ceiling vehicle they are touting as being for the younger set who need to haul around sports equipment. Set to release later this year.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Thanks - that's what I really wanted to know, what a realistically equipped LE would show on the ground at the dealer. For me, the list of equipment [plus automatic] you show is what we would need. Does sound good...and the early driving reviews have all been positive. Even quieter and more refined....? What a deal...
  • britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    magazine has the 2003 Corolla on the cover
  • britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    excuse me - the Corolla is not on the cover - there's a picture of it along with an article on page 36- my mistake -
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    I posted this querey in another forum and had little response. Maybe more would be interested. I hope so, as I am quite curious:

Toyota yesterday reported that the new Corolla will base at around $13.4, while the new Matrix will base at around $14.6. As the Matrix is actually a Corolla in a small SUV's clothes, I wonder if many the people looking to buy a Corolla will also be considering the Matrix. If so, why? If not, why not?
  • jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    i'm considering a corolla as well as the matrix. even though the difference in price (where i live) is roughly around C$1500, i'll probably go for the corolla mainly coz of budget.

if budget is not a factor, i would definitely get the matrix coz of it's size and wagon type body. i currently drive a sienna and i'm used to the room and with a baby, u need all the room u can get for stroller, diaper bag, food, etc!

i think once the matrix comes out next month, pt cruiser, mazda protege5 and other small suv/wagon vehicles will be in big trouble! in my area, toyota canada annouced that corolla base will start around C$15,300 and matrix will start around C$16,800. a base protege5 starts around C$20,000 and pt cruiser starts around C$24,000+ in my area. who in their right mind would want to buy these cars when a base matrix starts at C$16,800 and a 4wd matrix will start at C$20,000+?!?!?!

i think that the matrix will be a winner for toyota and same thing with the corolla. i can see civic sales suffer and hopefully i will see less civics and more corolla's on the street! :)

i always thought cars are cheaper in usa but by looking at the new corolla/matrix prices, seems like cars are cheaper in canada! i wonder if our neighbours down south would be rushing up north to buy corolla and matrix!
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    Matrix and its Vibe cousin will sell well. I just cannot decide whether they will steal sales from the other cute-utes or the small sedans. More than any other cute-ute, the Matrix/Vibe promise to be the closest in price, mpg, and handling to the small sedan.

I am not sure about other areas, but Chicago and Illinois have statutes that allow taxing residents for new car purchases whether the car was purchased in Illinois or another state. I am not sure how that would work if someone from Illinois purchased in Canada, however. If it worked, a tourist could pay for a fun trip to the Great North with the savings.
  • Hi ,
    I have a 2002 Corolla CE and am planning to install a 5 disc changer with a friend. The disc changer is on local sale for 70$ (i dont care the brand for that price). The Toyota changer is roughly $500.

If i install the changer does it affect the warranty on the car's electrical components? Or does it not matter at all.
  • jcobyjcoby Posts: 140
    I am extremely impressed with the new Corolla and am praying that I will be able to get one later this year. It is a much better value than the Civic; I have the 2002 Civic brochure to make comparisons. To save you all some trouble, I will sum it up this way: you basically can get the unoptioned Corolla LE equipped better than the Civic EX (except for the EX's standard moonroof and ABS) for a price lower than the Civic LX!!! Just some of the competitive advantages over the higher priced but sparsely equipped Civic LX: standard keyless entry, more powerful engine (130hp vs. 117), larger tires (195/65r15 vs. 185/65r14), standard CD player, standard outside temperature gauge, convincing wood-tone trim, availability of moonroof, ABS, leather, 3-in-1 sound system w/6 speakers, a much more beautiful, upscale Lexus-like interior ambience, certainly a smoother and quieter ride, easier entry-and exit, far more pleasing exterior styling, more storage spaces and just more "little" touches that makes the Corolla seem like a more complete car. The Civic does, however, have a slightly larger interior (around 1 cubic foot), although the Corolla gains the edge over the Civic when comparing moonroof-equipped models. Needless to say, the Corolla will be eating voraciously into the sales of Civic (at least in my opinion). What is so odd is that Honda usually prices their cars so competively that Toyota can't come in and offer a better-equipped competitive model for less as in this case. Although I am not the usual 21-year old (my tastes are more comparable with a 40-year old person - I am a big Camry fan), I do believe that they have initially succeeded in crafting a Corolla that will lower the median age of the Corolla buyer; just as many of you have suggested, I suggested to Toyota (which I am sure they were already aware of) that they will need to offer a wide assortment of TRD accessories and possibly the 180-hp VVTL-i engine to really entice more young adult buyers. Although I will not be the first person at the dealership to buy a fully-optioned Toyota Corolla LE (because of my financial situation), I will hopefully have the title to a new or very slightly used 2003 Corolla LE before Dec 31, 2002!
    One thing I am somewhat concerned about is how many entry-level Camry owners will instead opt for a top-line Corolla; I am one of them! I recently rented a 2002 Camry and found much more interior space than I will ever need.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    I want to know optional pkg. prices, accessory prices, destination fees, etc. Anybody know where I can find this?
  • jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    PT Cruiser, Protege5, Civic, Sentra, etc. - watch out!!

Feel the goooood VIBE-ration, feel the action!! Matrix and Vibe are coming! :)

TGIF, have a good weekend everyone! :)
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    is now available at www.toyota.com. go to the "build your own" section.
    Check it out: An LE automatic with the options package that includes ABS, All-Weather Guard, and Cruise Control, plus the accessory 15inch Alloy Wheels, and Carpeted Floormats/Trunkmat... prices out at an MSRP of 17,216, including dest.
    Toyota certainly has a contender!!!!
    ~alpha
  • Check cars.com in their "new part" of the new car area on the main page. It has pricing for the 2003 Corolla. Some of the color choices are wrong though and just a few prices are missing but you can equipt one and see the MSRP and invoice prices.
  • When are the 03 Corolla's going to reach the dealerships?
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    If it did work, and you could save money by buying in Canada, your spedometer as well as your odometer would be reading in Kilometers. I wouldn't like that.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    I heard in February
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    should be in dealerships last week of January. Matrix coming first week of February.

: )

Mackabee
  • When I enter my Chicago-area zip code into the "Build your own" engine at toyota.com, I cannot build any 2003 Corolla with ABS/side airbags except the LE with automatic transmission.

No CE's, No S's, and No LE 5-speed.

That is soooooo disappointing.

Mackabee, do you think would I be able to have the dealer order a 5-speed LE with ABS for me, or am I stuck with whatever the powers that be think is best for my region?

Question #2 is what is in Preferred Equipment Package 1? I find no explanation on the website.

Can't wait to get a look at the Corolla and Matrix at the Chicago Auto Show.

twist