Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• kbuikbui Posts: 15
    floot, you are right in focusing on the out-the-door price. This is what I would do:
    - locate the car you want, with the options you want;
    - tally up the destination fee and the invoice prices for the base car ($11,624, last time I looked) and the options;
    - add whatever profit you think the dealer is entitled to make, and subtract the customer rebate (I think it has gone up to $750; it was $500 when I bought mine 2 weeks ago);
    - add 3% sales tax, and about $100 for the paperwork (license fee, "documentation" fee, "courrier" fee, etc). This should get you an out-the-door price that is acceptable to you.

To keep things simple, negotiate only on this out-the-door (OTD) number. Tell the salesman that you don't care how the dealership breaks it down, all you are interested in is the OTD price. Most salesmen will try to confuse you by pointing out the different components of the OTD price and how they are not making any profit... Keep smiling, and focus on the OTD price. Tell them that there is profit built in through the holdback, even if they sold you the car at invoice. This will show them that you have done your research, even though you are not asking them to part with any of the holdback. And if you are not in a rush, wait till the end of the month: salesmen and dealerships will be trying to fill their quotas and so may be more flexible on prices than at other times.

Also, a good place to check out current rebates is carsdirect.com. Use the "configurator" on their website to build your car, and you'll see the customer rebate right away (if there is one).
    Good luck.
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    If you own a 96 Corolla, why get a 02; when you can get a new 03 next year?
    Every now and then in history the Camry and Corolla shift their sizes. The new 02 Camry has shifted to a Avalon-size so the 03 Corolla should shift as well. This last happened with the 92 Camry and the 93 Corolla.
  • Desertguy, I was reading your comment about your corolla not having a power outlet. Supposedly that only comes with an automatic tranny. At least that's my understanding from lit. and online info.

I just started looking at the 2002 Corolla S. I find the front end very appealing. It sort of reminds me of a Lexus IS300, after all that is the Corolla's big brother.

Anyways, my first car is a 1984 Corolla LE. I saw a few of you were slightly disappointed about not having a split rear seat. My 84 has a 50/50 split rear seat. What's up with that? Why can't a car that's 17 or 18 model years older have a split rear seat.

Sorry I'm dragging on with so many different ideas, but have any of you done any performance upgrades or body kit additions, such as the TRD package???
  • flootfloot Posts: 22
    Did you have a trade-in to deal with? If so, were you able to keep it seperate from coming to agreement on the new car price? Thanks for your great information!
  • flootfloot Posts: 22
    Well, waiting for the 2003 Corolla does make sense for me from a financial point of view. I could save up more money for down payment and pay off more of my current loan on the 96 Corolla (purchased last summer when my 1989 Dodge Colt gave up the ghost and I had been walking for several weeks.)

I don't know enough about what the major design change for the Corolla involves. Also, I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly?) that a major redesign equates to price increase.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    This car is definitely going to be worth waiting for. There will be more room, especially in the back seat, marginally more power, and even more refinement than the current design. Look for a return of features that had been lost, like the height-adjustable driver's seat in the LE. [The era of decontenting at Toyota is over.]

As for prices, I'm sure that will be up, but probably not more than 3-4%. For anyone who wants a car in this class, and can afford to wait, this is the one to wait for. I would look for release about this time next year - most of our cars will come from the Canadian plant, as NUMMI will be working on the Pontiac Vibe and its Toyota counterpart [based on the new Corolla platform].
  • kbuikbui Posts: 15
    floot, I did not have a trade-in. If you have one, consider selling it yourself - you'll get more money for it.
    If you don't want to sell it yourself, get a few estimates for your car (kbb.com, edmunds, carmax ads, your favorite mechanic, similar cars in the classified ads, etc); you should be able to zero in on a fair value. When you go to the dealer, try to keep the 2 transactions separate. Tell the dealer "I have done my research, and this is the price I expect for my trade-in. If you agree with it, let's talk about the car I want to buy. If not, let me go elsewhere."
    The key is to have a realistic price for your existing car. If you are confident you have come up with a realistic price, don't budge from it. And please note that the market for used cars can vary significantly, depending on the area you live in.
    The 02 Camry is 1000 less than the 01 Camry.

The present style Corolla 98-02 has been much cheaper than its predecessor (93-97).

Another way to play this games is to get the low finance rates. A positive occurence during a recession.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    You are correct that the extra 12v power outlet comes with the auto tranny only. As for the split rear seat, it is available only on the LE model. Some of the features I like on the S are the leather wrapped steering wheel & shifter and the body color outside mirrors and mudgards. What I really want is an after market sunroof!
  • I just got a price quote from a local dealer on what I believe is a 2002. The MSRP was 17,189 but after the rebate it would be 15,254. 300 dollars under invoice. This included an auto tranny, a sunroof, S convienence package, extra value package #2, alloys, cd player. Pretty much everything I wanted. I don't need a sunroof really in the NW. So desertguy, does your Manual S have one power outlet? Does the automatic get an extra outlet? Or do you not have one?

If you goto the popular mechanics website, under automotive and asian spy reports they have a picture of what may be the new Corolla.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    My S has an outlet where the cigarette lighter would be. With the auto you should have 2 outlets.
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    It's a known fact that because of the rising yen a few years ago, Japanese manufacturers had to decontent their cars to keep them competitively priced.

Do you really think that the Corolla has been decontented during the 2000-2002 model years? I was looking at my Corolla tonight and I don't find anything that's below average when compared to its competitors. The interior trim (plastics, fabrics), for example, is one of the best in its category, and it seems that Toyota has put in even more content for the 2001 facelift, such as adding an extra power outlet for the automatic version.
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 380
    Re: redline--guess you will have to hear it--if it's screaming it's too high for break-in

98 as a used car for my son want abs, does it come with it or an option. which models (corolla, prism) have abs or will i just have to just check the details i wonder if it was a common thing to have. will i have problems getting a used one with abs.
    Toyota made few bones about what their strategy was with the 97 Camry and 98 Corolla - take as much cost out of the car as possible, and hope they had done it in ways that the customer wouldn't notice. The most prominent example I can point to in the Corolla was the deletion of the seat height adjustment for the driver in the LE. This presented real problems for my mother-in-law, and we had to resort to add-on cushions for the front seats - they work well enough, and she is thrilled with the car, but this was an example of a step backwards in features that will be addressed in the '03 redesign. The continued presence of that antiquated 3-spd automatic is another example...look for that to go away, as well.

The '02 Camry redesign shows that Toyota knows it has to start moving back to a richer "base" level of equipment for our market. I think the '03 Corolla will continue this trend...
    ...has been available as an option from the beginning, but is as scarce as hen's teeth. Looking for a used one with ABS is like searching for a needle in a haystack. The Prizm might in fact be a better target for a used car - more of them came with ABS, keeping with GM's belief that this should be a nearly universal feature. You will have to look under the hood for the ABS controller, however - get a mechanic to show you what to look for. 90% of owners couldn't pass a quiz on the topic if you asked them, so accepting someone's word for it is unreliable.
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    Well, if you start the car and an ABS light comes on, it is a safe bet that the car has ABS. ; )
  • ata3001ata3001 Posts: 30
    Four months & 6000 totally trouble free miles have passed since purchasing a new 2001 Corolla S impulse red w/5 spd, tilt/slide moonroof, spoiler, alloys, fog lights (std with s pkg), deluxe ETR/CD w/4 speakers, V.I.P. RS-3000 security sys, all weather guard pkg, heave duty rear defogger, cruise control, tilt wheel, value pkg. #2 (air, digital clock, pwr windows & locks, power dual color-keyed mirrors), outside temp gauge, carpeted floor mats & Michelin tires. Out the door price, $16000, tax included. I have not had to return to the dealer yet for any reason. This car has an incredibly smooth ride, which means the handling is just so-so. No squeaks, no rattles, & everything fits together, as it should. My weekly gas mileage 50/50 city/hwy is averaging 38 mpg with a high of 46 mpg on the hwy & a lowest of 34 mpg (1 tankful when new). Here's my question: Why do others believe the styling of the 2001/2002 corolla is outdated & prefer the type of styling found on the current civics & on the next generation corolla? Take another look! The headlights look huge. Why do automobile designers believe we all want those UGLY license plates as the centerpiece for the rear of the car? They locate it right in the center of the trunk lid. UGLY!!!! IMHO. They should be down as low as possible & as inconspicuous as possible as in the current design. Why do so many people believe this is a much more up-to-date, nicer, & fresher design? I simply don't understand that line of thinking. The current design also has very distinctive & attractive headlights as well as nicely integrated fog lamps. I simply don't understand what is outdated with its looks! Will someone please enlighten me? I know the next generation corolla will have more power, etc... but why introduce ugly (IMHO) styling as stated above? It will look more like the Ford Focus...GO FIGURE!!!!! I've owned much more expensive cars in the past, yet I believe this Corolla is the "best" car I've owned. More expensive, even at many times the cost of this car does not automatically mean better. Better means just what the Corolla offers & that is: low cost of ownership, great reliability, & high resale value. A car that is "faster" does not mean its "better". Its just "faster". Remember that!
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Enjoyed your post. I think the excitement about the 03 stems from larger people feeling cramped in the current model, especially in the rear seat. I really wanted to get a Corolla, but after comparing the driving position, legroom, and what you could and could not do to get comfortable inside, chose the Elantra GT hatch instead. If the 03s were here, and it was anything like the room inside the Echo, it would have been a tougher choice. I also found the Corolla seats somewhat lacking in support and with no driver height adjustment or lumbar support.

Interesting to note that I paid exactly what you did. I got: A/C, full power including heated side mirrors, fog lights, ABS, traction control, 4 wheel disc brakes, alloys, 15 inch Michelins, trip computer, 6 speaker AM/FM/CD, bi-level center arm rest and storage console, moonroof, the rear hatch, split folding rear seats, intermittent rear wiper and variable intermittent front wipers, leather interior, and the big Hyundai warranty.

Not here to argue build quality, resale, reliability, etc. I concede all that. All I can say is that the GT has a solid feel and appears to be put together well. No problems in first 6,000 miles. MPGs can't touch the Corolla...I get 33 or so on the highway and 27 around town, but it is a heavier car with a bigger engine and a lot more room inside and in cargo carrying capacity.
    I like both my Corollas. My 6 foot self would like to have a bigger rear seat when I replace my 4 door model.

My 95 is tolerable.