Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    Firstly, the seat cushion we have used on both front seats can be had nearly everywhere - Kragen, Wal-Mart, etc. But understand [and this is difficult to explain without diagramming] we are not using the thing as designed. I take what is supposed to be the 'bottom' and fold it UNDER what is supposed to be the 'back', and then sit on the whole backage, which means you are sitting on the 'back', as it were. This means you are boosted up about 3/4" or so [and you can always use more padding under the whole package - I've done that too]. But remember there are limits - too much boost will put you out of the lumbar support area built into the factory seat...as I said, this is hard to explain in this medium.

Secondly, for the automatic, look for 0-60 times in the range of 9.7-10.0 seconds, depending on how much the tester wants to abuse the car. A manual should shave another half second off those times.

Finally, I'm writing this from the computer of the friends we are visiting at the end of yesterday's long driving stint. I'm a believer...this is the best touring car in this class, period. Superb ride and general demeanor at speed on all kinds of surfaces, and loads of room for the junk we like to take on road trips.
  • tmal14tmal14 Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how many watts the radio has, and is the sound quality good? In addition, has anyone taken out the factory radio and put their own in. The size of the radio looks huge compared to earlier models, and even to other cars in it's class. It looks like one would have to take apart the whole front of the dash to get the radio out.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Those times seems slow. When Car and Driver last tested the previous generation Corolla (in Prizm guise), the managed 8.3 seconds from the 5sp. Since the new car is slightly heavier, I'd say about 8.7 seconds for the stick, and about 9.4-9.6 for the auto, tops.
    I test drove an auto this weekend, it felt about as peppy as our 02 Camry, which has been clocked (By MT in the April 02 issue) at 9.2 to 60. Seat of pants assessment, I know, but still.
    ~alpha01
  • tmal14tmal14 Posts: 4
    Has anyone seen an LE either in person or on the web without leather. Does the wood grain look bad with just the cloth seats? All the LE's I have seen were with the leather option. I'm not sure if I will be able to afford the leather option, but I like the other feature of the LE over the CE or S.

Thanks to those who responded to my earlier questions.
    ...with either upholstery choice. By contrast, out here in NoCal [Sacto area] I have yet to see a car with leather - all the cars we've seen are cloth. Ours happens to be the greyish 'stone' that goes well with the silver exterior. The wood-tone trim is neither especially necessary nor over the top, but I'm happy enough with the way the interior looks in general. The woodish trim doesn't stand out in any garish fashion, but again, these are matters of individual taste.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I drove an LE with tan cloth, and I thought the woodgrain looked great. But I really like tan interiors, and prefer cloth over leather. When you're looking at the wood grain (the dashboard), you're probably not looking at the cloth seats too.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    the retractor on my drivers side for the seat belt doesn't always retract right, I have to push in the belt back in manually. On a '96 Corolla, would this still be covered under warranty? The car has almost 58k on it. Thanks all.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Often times safety items like seatbelts have an unlimited or very long warrenty. Ask the dealer.
    and they said I'm out of luck after 5 years. Car is over 5 years since the put in service date. So much for Toyota and their caring about John Q. Public. I'm very disappointed!
  • lfanlfan Posts: 61
    Sandman46, I would suggest to talk to you local Toyota dealer's service manager and ask him to work out a deal for you. Something like a 50/50 split would be reasonable since the 5 years has been exceeded but not the 60K miles.

Also ask if there is a "hidden warranty" on the seat belt problem.

Good luck.
    Our round-trip from Sacramento to Ashland OR went very well, confirming that the '03 Corolla is an excellent road warrior. The combination of the excellent ride and much bigger trunk made us feel as if we had not given up much in the transition from our Accord. With the engine still pretty green [we had 1100 miles on the odo upon return to the house] and speeds between 65 and 80 mph, overall fuel use continues to hover around 32-33 mpg.

We could hardly be happier with the car - it gets my recommendation for anyone shopping in this class, and deserves some thought even for people who think they need an Accord / Camry, but don't carry 4 people in the car that often [which describes us pretty well]. It feels extremely solid and well-planted at freeway speeds, and the ride/handling compromise seems to me to be just about ideal. Beyond the glovebox looseness that I fixed myself on the first day, we have had no new issues [knock on wood].

One more observation: the speedo on our car is spot-on, according to at least two different mobile radar displays. This contrasts to the well-known habit of Honda to build in a lot of slop in their speedo readings [our '96 Acura RL was off by a full 7 mph at an indicated 80]...I have had to be very careful not to assume that we are really traveling at least 5 mph slower than the dial reads, as has been a safe assumption with our Hondas. Don't need any visits from the CHP as part of the break-in process...
    I called and spoke to the service manager. She just called back and already started the process and called it a good will gesture. Phone just rang... part will be in on thursday nite and I'm to be there friday at 7am. Very cool. You best believe when that survey card comes in, I'll give them all excellents! Toyota has just renewed my faith!!!! Wow!
  • vicarouzavicarouza Posts: 18
    I bought a 2003 Corolla LE (without even test-driving it - blind faith in Toyota - big mistake)and the car has a very odd distrubing problem and I get no help from the dealership (SOUTH BAY TOYOTA in TORRANCE, CA) nor Toyota. They simply refuse to acknowledge the problem saysing that "it's just the way they're made". AND I KNOW THAT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL...I've driven several vehicles and this is the first time I've noticed anything like this. The steering system feels very loose and unconnected resulting in DRIFTING on the freeway from left to right at the slightest provocation. I have to constantly keep correcting it (hanging on to the steering wheel) and a very odd feeling when the steering wheel is CENTERED (turning the wheel slightly to the left or right gives a feeling as thought it's connected to the wheel by "rubber bands" - or like some "strained freeplay" - that is the wheels turn then it feels as though there's "a stretch" and then the wheels follow. Sometimes when I go on uneven road, the wheels change direction SLIGHTLY but no feedback to the steering. I rented a Corolla (but that was a CE) and did not get that feeling from it. I have also asked several of my friends to drive my car to see if they observe this and they said "it doesn't feel right" but cannot exactly put a finger to what they're feeling. I'm totally dissapointed with Toyota and the dealership and feel helpless!! Can anyone give me their thoughts on this and what recourse do I have??
    THANKS!!
  • is300tm7is300tm7 Posts: 20
    take it to your dealer or other toyota dealer and have them test drive with you inside the car..
    Check the tire pressure! Also - how windy was it while you were driving - this is a tall vehicle.
    ...and get a good alignment job, ASAP. For less than $100, you could be happy with the car...we certainly love ours, which exhibits no symptoms remotely like you're describing. Also consider moving the front tires to the rear and vice versa; a bad tire can cause this kind of jumpiness.

Most likely suspect: wheel alignment.
    Yes try swapping tires. A bad tire can do many strange things to a cars handling.

The dealer should be doing all of this for free - if for no other reason than to satisfy you. Regardless of wether they think it is a problem. Just say the car pulls I want you to check the alignment - they can't really say no.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    Vica-It seems that your car has the symptoms too. Look at recent posts on the Camry board here for the information. It's something about 4 screws attaching the steering to the drive gizmo. I don't know much about the mechanics of cars...but if all 4 screws come loose or off, the car can't be steered. One screw will cause what you are experiencing. Look for more information on the recall and call your dealer. If the recall is for real, then you can definitely get it fixed and it should be as good as new.
    ...attachments to the steering. We are talking about NUMMI cars produced in Jan/Feb that might have REAR axle hub attachment bolts that were not torqued enough at the factory.

This problem should not produce the symptoms as described, but the fix is a simple one that only takes a couple of minutes with the car on a lift at the dealership. There are four bolts that hold the wheel hub [NOT THE WHEEL ITSELF - THIS IS WHERE THE HUB ATTACHES TO THE REAR AXLE] to the axle in the rear. These need to be retorqued on the recalled cars. You can see them from underneath if you get the car jacked up and look at the "back" of the hub area of each rear wheel.

I had the rear tires on mine off today to install the mudguards, and was easily able to eyeball the bolts they are talking about. [Our car was produced in March and thus is not subject to the recall].

And yes, I agree that any competent dealer should handle a wheel alignment as a warranty claim when there are clear symptoms indicating a problem.