Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I saw a red 2003 LE. It was sharp!
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    The indigo ink color is just as nice as the red also. Haven't seen a white one as of yet, a little bland for me.
  • I saw a white 2003 S and and the body kit looked terrible. Apologies to any owners of this model.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...no matter what color you pick. It makes the tall car look ridiculous; the same problem exists in the Matrix. The base Matrix without the so-called sport packages is not a bad-looking piece of work, but by the time you tack on all of the spoilers and ground-effects nonsense, it manages to mostly look silly. This effect is even more pronounced when you do this to the sedan.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    The Focus' wheel telescopes too.
  • ata3001ata3001 Posts: 30
    I too have to agree about the looks of the 2003 S ground effects. To me it looks like it is just stuck on. reminesent of General Motors way of adding sport to its cars. I own a 2001 Corolla S (impulse red) and the rocker panel treatment is handled so much nicer. The 2003 is simply over done. The rest of the car is fine, but those ground effects, ugh! My opinion only, not necessarily yours. :-)
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    If Toyota is listening, they'll make those ground effects TRULY optional on the Matrix. At least on the Corolla, one can get the LE and avoid looking silly, as jrct said. Unfortunately, on the mid-level Matrix XR, those busy looking spoilers and ground effects are a mandatory "option".

I think Toyota is trying too hard to appeal to the younger generation. I'm not sure that even half of their target market for the Matrix cares for those ground effects.
  • I have a '01 Corolla and have about 26,000 miles. The other day while I was driving to work, the malfunction indicator light came on. I took it to the dealer and the outcome was that I needed a new charcoal canister. It was still under warranty. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem. Any thoughts or suggestions? I would like to know if this is going to be a constant problem in the future. Thank you!
  • lfanlfan Posts: 61
    Whew! I am glad to hear about the "silly" side skirts and spoilers on my Corolla S.

I was wondering why all the smiles and smirks on fellow drivers when I drive in my Corolla S. I was beginning to get self conscious ;)
    ...these things are all a matter of taste. But I have to agree with the observation above that they may be turning off more buyers than they realize with this stuff.

I am helping the daughter of a friend buy her first car, and she rejected the Matrix precisely because of all of the tacked on body pieces that were essentially "mandatory options" during the early production runs of the car. She is in her mid-20s and presumably the demographic "target" for the Matrix.

She is very outdoorsy, an enthusiastic bike rider, and exactly the kind of buyer that was supposed to snap up the Matrix/Vibe. She is finalizing the deal on a Protege 5 wagon, instead.
  • cheapo1cheapo1 Posts: 3
    IF YOU PEOPLE HATE THE SIDE SKIRTS AND THE SPOILERS AND ALL THE OTHER KINDS OF ADD ON PARTS ON THE TOYOTA, I SUGGEST THAT YOU SHOULD GO BUY ANOTHER KIND OF CARS. WHY DONT YOU GO BUY BMW, BENZ, AUDI, CADILLAC, FORD OR SOME OTHER KIND OF CARS. WHY WHOULD YOU WANT A TOYOTA IF YOU HATE IT AND THERE SO MANY OTHER KINDS OF CAR TO CHOOSE. MAYBE IF YOU WHERE RICHER YOU CAN GET A LEXUS. OR MAYBE ITS JUST THAT YOU CANT DRIVE. NO ONE FORCE YOU TO BUY THE CAR. ITS YOUR OWN CHOICE!!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    There is no place on these boards for a post like the one you left. Personally, I like the side skirts, as you obviously do, but I will not defend a screaming, scathing post from an uninformed purchaser. Please do not use all caps in the future, it is considered a discourtesy. With respect to those who do not like side skirts, it is their right under free speech to say so. So deal with it. If you are happy with your vehicle that is all that matters. Had anyone stated something blatantly non-factual about the Corolla, perhaps I could understand your vehement posting. That is not the case and therefore I find you to be rude and offering no additional value to this board where Corolla fans express likes and dislikes. Good luck to you, but leave the us, and our opinions alone, until you have something constructive to say.
    ~alpha
  • please pardon me for changing the subject of conversation...

we are thinking of buying a corolla to replace the 89 camry (which was typical toyota: rock-solid dependable). is there any explanation for or truth behind the ultra-wide divergence of review scores in http://carpoint.msn.com/

take care,

:dave and krystyna

• is300tm7is300tm7 Posts: 20
    does anyone know a website for 2003 corolla paint code? or does anyone know the paint code for white 2003 LE?
  • sbell4sbell4 Posts: 446
    Super White 040
    Lunar Mist 1C8
    Mineral Green 6R6
    Black Sand 209
    Sandrift Metallic 3M5
    Impulse Red 3P1
    Indigo Ink 8P4
    Charcoal Gray 1E6
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    Several days ago you asked "were it not for the seating position problem with the new Corolla, would you be inclined to trade in your Civic?"

(sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town for an extended weekend) The answer is no...after thinking about it for several days, and helping my daughter buy a new Protege LX, the Corolla is just too insulated from the road and desensitized steering feel for my real tastes. The Protege is a very nice car, with good handling, road feel, steering feel, but it suffers from worse fuel mileage than the Corolla or Civic, and also seemingly poor resale value. I tend to change cars every 2 years or so, so the bigger hit on the Pro would make it too costly for me. My Civic meets 95% of my needs, (would prefer a little less road noise) so it will be my dirver for the next 12-15 months.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    I don't know why Toyota didn't just make the side skirts optional. That way people who wanted them could get them and those who didn't want them wouldn't get them. That way everybody would be happy. I don't understand how the desire to have a more flexibly optioned vehicle could offend someone.
  • lu888168lu888168 Posts: 4
    I've read at serveral places people stated instability of corolla in cross winds, can someone who had driven it in windy conditions comment on it.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I think a lot of the difference in reviews is the normal difference of opinion over such things as styling and ride quality. For example, one person's tastefully understated interior can be another's boring interior. But some of the comments there and in this forum about instability are troubling. The LE tester I drove seemed very stable and handled well on the freeway and on city streets. Yet I've read several posts here and Carpoint reviews that mention major stability problems. I wonder if there isn't some problem with the early models. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for a new model, although it would be exceptional for a Toyota.
    I have driven our '03 LE [with an early March production date and a serial number under 28000] at freeway speeds in severe crosswinds on at least three occasions. The car feels no different than any other from the last 10 years that have populated our garage ['94 C Mercedes, '96 Acura RL, '01 Accord V6]. It is marginally better than any of our recent Mercedes. I don't know what else to say...