Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Just got a 1997 Corolla DX with power everything, except everything doesn't work. Power Windows, Power doorlocks, and power sunroof, none of the fore mentioned stuff works, all of them. I'm thinking fuses, or some sort of connection, but I can't find the fuse box, does anyone have a repair manual and point me in the dirction of the fuse box, the driver side box didn't have it.
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    For fuse box.

My car (Protege) has one by the driver's left leg and another one in the engine compartment.

Dinu
  • Hi, I live in Los Angeles area and after much shopping around and requesting price quotes from at least 7 places, tonight I just purchased a 2003 Toyota Corrola S-Type with Sports Package option, Power Package, Cruise Control, Deluxe CD/Radio, and some additional dealer add-ons that were already tacked on it. I bargained for four hours and managed to challenge the dealer add-ons. Now, to make the story short, I ended up with the price tag $17,500 flat out the door (tax and fees included). The salesman and I were stalled at $17,200 and that was the reason I increased my final offer to $17,500 out the door price. I thought that this was a good deal, but after much thinking I was starting to doubt myself. Can somebody please tell me if this is a good price or if I was ripped off? I really need to find out because I'm so bothered by it so much right now. Please respond as soon as possible. Thanks.
  • Don't worry. I was one of the first to get an '03 CE, and due to early demand, paid perilously close to sticker. Sure, you'll get some folks that'll tell you that you could have gotten it cheaper, but it sounds like (1) it's loaded (I have manual windows, for crying out loud) and (2) it's clearly within the normal range for this model. Keep in mind that supply and demand, location, etc., all factor in. You have a well-eqipped car at a fair price - maybe not the cheapest, but so what? If you can afford it, and you like the car, you haven't been ripped off.

Good luck with your '03. They're great cars (at any price, really).
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    If you paid 17,500 INCLUDING tax, title, license, which you say you did, then you got a very fair deal. Not a home run, but definitely in the ballpark. Enjoy!

~alpha
  • I think CarsDirect is the best place to find out the best price. If you went via dealer you may need to adjust the price by few hundred bucks, because of the convenience (if only perceieved) and ability to see and touch the actual car before making a pick.
    Otherwise, I think CarsDirect can't be beat pricewise.
  • IleIle Posts: 14
    For a manual 5 sp tran.
    http://edmunds.com/new/2003/toyota/corolla/100074065/options.html- - - - - ?action=2

Plus whatever were the dealer options + taxes licence fees
    In Chicago Il. That would be for an auto.
    http://edmunds.com/new/2003/toyota/corolla/100074064/calculator.h- - - - - tml?tid=edmunds.n.options.leftsidenav..7.Toyota*
    (17,447)
    For manual
    $16,629
    http://edmunds.com/new/2003/toyota/corolla/100074065/calculator.h- - - - - tml?tid=edmunds.n.options.leftsidenav..7.Toyota*

And I got all this info in about 5 min here from Edmunds. You should try it too. BEFORE YOU GO TO THE DEALERSHIP. Nevertheless you have got a fantastic deal if your car was an automatic. If it was a manual you gave them about 1k over invoice price. Which is not bad considering that jewelry has a mark up of about %80. Which would mean that if you bought a ring that costs 1250 for your fiancée you would have paid about the same amount over invoice. Sad but true.
  • Thank you so much for all of the helpful and sincere replies. They helped me feel better. I did my homework before I came to the dealer. With the options that I wanted (4-automatic, sports package, power package, cruise control, deluxe stereo system cd/am-fm/cassette,etc), the TMV price would be $16200 for my area (my area code is 91107) before tax and fees. So after tax and fees, it should come up to about $18144 (the current california tax rate is 8.25%, and I don't know what the rate of the license and registration fee is. I'm guessing the tax and fees rates totaled up to about 12%. Am I even right on this one?). I also called 7 other dealers to request a quote for those specific options with the car, and most gave me higher prices over the phone. Some dealers were reluctant to bargain or tell me the best price over the phone; they insisted on having me come in to the dealership instead. I was just wondering if I should have bargained for a better price at other dealers or if most people have bargained better than I did. I need to know if my price is considered a good deal. I don't know how much the dealer has marked up previously before giving away the car to me for that kind of price. I know some of you have answered this question, but do any of you know how much out the door price do most people get for the car with my options? And also, how accurate/reliable is Edmund's TMV price, because that was the reference that I used? Thanks.
  • Does it make in Japan or US?
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    for Canada, at least, are all made in Ontario, Canada. I have no idea about the ones made at the NUMMI plant in California.
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    Down to one Corolla now. Sold the GT-S. Replaced it with a 91 Celica GT.

My 95 has been flawless except for the front supension. Two axles and one piece to keep the tire from shaking have been problematic. The bad part of front wheel drive, but the GT-S never had these problems; however, it liked tires.
  • klear123klear123 Posts: 7
    Am considering a recently used or demo '03. How does it handle in the snow? Anyone have ABS?
    How do the kids fit in the back seat?
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    You can put adults in the back seat. I drove one to Texas last year.
  • jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    i believe only the LE or S model have ABS. CE models don't have ABS/can't get ABS. this is for canadian models anyway.

kids should be fine in the backseat, more than enough room back there for kids unless they are 6ft. tall. :)
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    ABS is available on all trim levels of Corolla in the US. I think it should be in Canada too, but if it was nobody would buy LEs unless they absolutely must have power windows. Interesting to note that all Canadian CEs have black door handles whereas US CEs have body coloured door handles.
    the way toyota sells their options is stupid and a rip-off! for canadian models, i can't get power windows/locks as one option! if i want power windows/locks, i have to buy the LE model. CE models only have power locks. this option i think is grouped together with the A/C for CE models.
    I don't think the arrangement of options in Canada is any worse than in the US, it's just that we have fewer options to choose from. Personally I'd like a CE as it is now with Air, Auto and ABS for under C$19K. But no, I have to have alloy wheels, power windows and fake wood too.
    or an ES with ABS, 16" alloys, and spoiler and a really nice interior standard.

Dinu
    No thanks, I prefer Corolla.
    the MP5 is a nice car and handles much better than the corolla but resale value for mazda's are lower than toyota's
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    man, dinu, not everyone wants a PRO. In fact, there are many, who, like me, use cars this size as commuter vehicles, and dont have the opportunity or desire to seek out curvy roads where the PRO does, I'll admit, shine.

Where does the Corolla shine? Certainly I see it shining on New Jersey's severely acned roads, as the Corolla is generally viewed as having one of the finest rides at is price point. The PRO? One of hardest. The PRO also has ZERO power advantage, a similar if not higher sticker, similar but not better interior room, worse crash test scores, and significantly lower fuel economy.

When it came time for my buck, I didnt choose the Corolla, but I can see why many others would. Why do you have to constantly push your car?

~alpha
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Right on man! I'm sure the Pro is a great car and I'm glad their owners love their cars. But most people love their cars or why own them!

The Sandman :-)
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I think in 1999 when the current Protege was introduced, it was clearly superior to the Civic and even moreso to the Corolla. The Protege was roomier than the Civic, definitely more fun to drive than either, and was priced competitively. Civics and Corollas have generally had the MPG advantage over Protege, though.

Fast forward four years, the Civic is roomier (and arguably, more stylish) than before, the Corolla definitely is more powerful, stylish and roomy, and the CE in particular (alone in having a/c and stereo standard in a base model) represents good value. The Protege is more fun to drive still, but for most people buying cars at this price point, dollar value (price, fuel economy, resale) is much more important.

The problem with the Civic (DX) is that everything is optional. The base car starts at $13k, but has no radio ($400) or a/c ($1100 and dealer installed). By the time the car is livable, it's a thousand dollars more than a base Corolla. Now, where the Toyotas 'get you' is with the options, which are numerous and a bit pricey. If you're not careful, you can have a fully loaded Corolla pushing $20k.
    B/c I value fun to drive, yet am on a budget that doesn't allow me to buy a 6.

For me, fun to drive is more important than 0-60 (trust me, I pass everyone on the streets and have gone 100mph in the PRO - actually 92mph yesterday on my way to work), a sloppy ride where you have to slow down on ramps b/c the 03+ Corolla leans a lot in corners (I've driven one many times) or resale (we're keeping it for many many years).

Reliability is the same as H/T IMO (so far in 33K miles in 19mths it has been outstanding).

Styling is superior.

And I use it as a commuter car too - put 195/60/R15 tires on it, and the car is not as firm as it was before - I also undertand not many people value a firm ride, in that they prefer to be isolated from the road.

That's why I push this car so much - it's a joke how people ignore it in the US, yet it shines in Canada...

Dinu
    it's a joke how people ignore it in the US

It's not a joke, it's very simple. Wrong product, wrong price, change either one of those and people will buy it.
    people don't value handling and fun to drive.

Too bad - they don't know what they're missing...

Dinu
    Handling and fun to drive are not priorities for a lot of people. I go more for safety, reliability, low TCO, but then I expect I belong to a different demographic group than you. Not criticising your choice by the way, it's just not for me.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    I don't know if this has changed any with the current Protege, but I remember reading that they're quite 'busy' at highway speeds. I remember this being one of the _only_ things I didn't like about my '90 Protege LX (basically the predecessor of the current ES, as it had a DOHC 125-hp engine, loaded, 5-speed, four-wheel disc brakes).

I guess I'm saying this would be my main 'stumbling block' against buying a new Protege versus some other compacts (Corolla, Civic, Elantra are my main other cars of interest right now).
    But seriously, while the car is noisier than others at high speeds, is more than makes up in the smile it brings to the driver - something the 03 Corolla I drove this summer did not do.

If I'm paying $25.000CAD (taxes, interest incl.), I might as well get a reliable AND fun to drive car. That's just my philosohy though :)

Dinu
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    Different elements create smiles for different people. Your Protege may outhandle an ES 300, but believe me, that ES will put many more smiles on people than a Protege can.