Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• I like the new Corolla, but the back looks a lit like the previous generation Honda Accord.
  • I guess they need the stability control for the hi COG the car seems to have. As for the swivel seats, didn't they come & go due to safety problems?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...the Corolla platform, like the Camry, is different for the US/Canada than the rest of the world. Dream on all you want, but the car we get [and will get] in North America is and will be a unique design only vaguely related to the Japan/EU version. Our cars will continue to be designed and built exclusively for NA, here in NA. The "other" Corolla is interesting, of course, but has a completely different place in the market in Japan and EU than it has here. No one will pay the price they would have to charge in North America for the car as produced for the overseas markets, with all of the bells and whistles.

Our Camry is also unique to this market [wider and longer]; the Japanese Camry and Windom are just as different as the various Corolla versions.

Honda makes three different versions of the Accord - the NA version is also wider and longer than the Japan/EU versions, has different suspension settings, unique engines, etc. The basic platform is the same, but very little else but the name.
  • wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    we can dream can't we? :)

anyway, the Toyota Windom in Japan is more like the Lexus ES300 here.

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Windom/index.html

Toyota Camry in Japan is actually more or less the same car here.

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Camry/gimage/top.html

It has just about the same layout. Besides the obvious switch of driving position from left side to the right side, and the availability of the Nav system, almost all the things are the same. Including the 2.2L 4 cylinder engine.

http://www1.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Camry/gimage/inte/cock_1.html

When the Japanese 1998 Corolla and the US version was very similiar.

So I hope Toyota will bring the new Corolla over intact. :)
    that last message was meant for jrct9454. Sorry dchinn. :)

Oh dchinn, was swivering seat ever available before in the U.S? I wasn't aware of any cars that had that feature.
  • Swivel seats were on either the 68-70 Pontiac Grand Prix or some large American car. I do not recall exactly.
    oh, that explains why I haven't heard of it. I wasn't even born yet.
  • i just hit 44,000 miles on my 98 corolla ve, only had to bring it in to replace some front suspension part that was making noise. otherwise flawless in and out. Tires need to be replaced, as they wear out I notice a louder ride and not so sure footed. I don't want the oe Firestones, they stink. Toyo makes a real nice tire for this car, it has a stiffer sidewall which should give me better handling.
  • Even if the interior isn't as luxurious looking, I'd still love to see that body-style adopted for the next generation Corolla in North America. I think it's classy looking, especially that picture of it in white!

It's always a bit frustrating to see how some makes of cars are similar in name only. The Accord, Civic and many Toyota makes all have quite different autos using the same name. Sometimes we get models that make the Europeans envious; a lot of times though it seems like it's the other way around. At least Ford is having success with the Focus as a car that is basically the same world-wide. Maybe Toyota will do the same eventually but I won't be holding my breath...I personally think the current Corolla is a bit of a yawner style-wise, but this model just looks classy, sort of like a Mazda Millenia.

My big fear is that the next Corolla for N.A. will be an enlarged version of the Echo! Ech! :-)
  • I'm considering the purchase of a 1994 Corolla Wagon. Auto, AC, AMFM cassette, 50,000 miles, very clean. Anything to fear? What's a good price. The various web pricing pages say $6500 to over 10,000. Thanks!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    The only thing to fear is finding one. They are a needle in a haystack and if you find one in good shape you need to be prepared to make a fast decision. They don't last long on the used car market. You should see what happens at wholesale auction when this or a Camry wagon pulls into the lane. You see a bunch of used car managers who have been looking at the "Black Book" all day perk up. They put their books away and just start bidding. I've seen these things take stupid money at auction. Keep in mind that these cars end up on dealer's lots and they don't plan on selling them for what they paid for them.

They are remarkably solid cars. I don't want to disparage the US or Canadian built Corollas but the wagons were built in Japan and seem just a bit more solid. If you can find on with good miles and no paint work, go for it.
  • Thanks for the fast response. This one looks remarkably good, though I'm no mechanic. To recap, it's a DX, automatic with air and AMFM cassette. I am having it checked by a mechanic tomorrow. I'm buying it from the original owner with 50K miles. It did have an alternator and battery at 47K. In your expert opinion, there's nothing to look for as far as chronic issues? I figure I'll do the timing belt at 60K (it has a 1.8L, I think) and change the oil every 3K and probably get at least another 100K out of the car. Thanks for the advice!
  • Try this link for reliability info on used corollas:

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/UsedRelOver/Toyota/Corolla/used.asp

Good luck with getting your wagon.
  • liufeiliufei Posts: 201
    Heh, I thought the Focus IS an enlarge version of the Echo. And since the new Corolla looks like a Focus........welll, maybe it is related to Echo afterall. :)
    This room is deserted?? :(
    Oh well, figure i Post it here as well, does anyone Corolla making some kind of squeezing noise from the front when making turn/running over bumps?? I figures I get more information before running over to the dealer again.
    What kind of noise is a squeezing noise? Kind of like a "creek"?

I occationally heard a little "creek" when running over speed bumps. Kind of like the noise mattres spring makes when my wife and I ... never mind. :) It's not very loud but you can hear it. That's the only time that noise happen, I just attributed it to the shock/spring flexing and didn't give it another thought. Is that what you are talking about?
    YUP! thats the one. Its just been developing for the last week or so. I ain't making any comment about your wife and mastress........ :)

The other noise happen when making a turn, much noticeable on reverse turn and sometimes carry it over when driving.
    The front suspension is my initial suspect, may also be steering wheel since i can feel some sort of vibration (barely noticeable though).

On a different note, we need that new Corolla to fight back the Sentra,Protege and Focus!!!! ARGH!!!
    the new civic, it'll still be a best seller, regardless..... The civic name just have a stranglehold on the compact market, I guess...
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    ...on Toyotas are often caused by the suspension bushings, especially [in the past, on Camrys] the sway bar bushings. If you're in the least bit mechanically inclined, a little spray silicon lubricant in the right places would be something to try. On the other hand, if you don't know what I'm talking about, best head for the dealer.
    Thanks for the information. Took the car for service today and they tighten up a heat shield next to the power steering rack, and lubricate some bushings and joints (?). It seems better now, and I will keep an eye on it.

On a different note, the dealer tried to charge $90 for the work, citing thats its an "adjustment" instead of an actual parts failure, thus not covered in the bumper-to-bumper/36k warranty (the corrolla has 14k in it). Is this how Toyota's warranty works, or the dealer just trying to make some quick cash on me?