Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• iamknottiamknott Posts: 82
    twinb,

I guess you could say that I want them all, as I don't think there are any deletion options. I have always wanted a Limited because of the classier interior and ventilated seats, but have never been able convince my wife that it was worth the extra $50 per month in the lease payment. Truthfully, some of the options don't mean much to me. I've had power rear sunshades on other cars and they were pretty useless. I like Xenon headlights, but I have read on this forum that they often burn out. The driver's seat extension might be nice, but I've never tried it and I don't have a problem with the regular seats. Rain-sensing wipers? I don't have any trouble telling when it's raining and the day when I get too lazy to flick the wiper lever down is the day somebody should shoot me.
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    edited May 2010
    hahahahahaha, good one Knott. I read the same thing about the Xenon, but I liked the idea of a rear shade, thinking it would keep the car cooler when parked in the sun but that's not your experience, eh? There've also been mixed reviews on the ventilated seats. I guess the wood trim steering wheel might give it a 'classier' look, but I like the leather better. The Ltd. push button start does nothing for me, seems like a gimmick. All of those things are not worth an extra three grand to me. Sounds like I'm talking myself into the base (XLS) doesn't it? I'd ordered one last year but cancelled it when the recalls began; might be time now to start contacting dealers for prices. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? Rotterdam, where do you call home?

Thanks, Joe
  • bergaminibergamini Posts: 45
    Don't knock the auto-sense wipers until you've had them. When it is raining heavily and you are on the interstate, it is nice to be able to count on your wipers to wipe when needed so you can focus on keeping your car on the road. When it is sprinkling out it is so convenient not to have to try and pick the right intermittent level while driving and keep adjusting it because with the auto-sense that is all done for you. It is an amazing option and I was glad that they dropped laser cruise and not the auto-sense wipers. I can't imagine living without them and when I rent cars without them, I find it a complete hassle. Of course I COULD do it but having the car take care of that makes me feel safer and less hassled, which is the way it should be with the payments I make every month.
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Posts: 36
    Joe.....haven't gotten my LTD yet, as I just ordered it. It seems it's quicker if you want Nav.......I don't. I am from PA, but spend much of the winter in FL. Thanks for asking.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 586
    Ventilated seats and leather.... Having had three Avalons and dozens of other cars in over 50 years of legal driving, the perf/vent seats are wonderful if you drive in the heat, my opinion. We drive GA, FL and TN interstates all year (retired) and the perf/vent seats really are a lot more comfortable than flat leather. Now, if you have lots of kids (dirt) or pets (punctures) in the car there can be be problems with perf, yes. We don't so it's OK. Will concede that slick leather probably looks better than perf to most people.... get what you like and enjoy it. :)
    twinb,

I live in Central Ohio, the heart of Buckeye Nation. Regarding the rear sunshade, I also thought that it might keep the car (Infiniti) cooler, but that was not the case. Given the Avalon's roof line, the only time the shade would protect the rear passengers would be later in the afternoon when you are headed East and even then they could get almost as much shade from raising the headrests.

Don't forget the "wood" trimmed shift knob on the LTD. I thought about buying one for my last XLS, but the dealer's parts department wanted some outrageous price for it. Any LTD owners out there want to swap their shifter for an almost new light grey leather one? I think I heard on the news tonight that the wood grain ones cause erectile dysfunction, but I'm old enough not to care.
    bergamini,

I apologize for picking on one of your favorite accessories. I wasn't aware that the auto-sense wipers picked the appropriate intermittent speed for you. That could be handy.
    We may have drunk some of the same water once, I'm from Pgh then Phila, Colorado is my retirement place now. I may rethink those vented seats, it gets hot here in the summer Fin. Wood grain and E.D. Knott? hahahaha. Right now I'm enjoying (?) benign prostate hypertrophy. Wonder if the vented seats & automatic wipers would help with that.

So will you guys who bought the new Avys be telling us what your out-the-door price was, less TTL? The Denver dealers act like there've been no recall headaches nor recession woes.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    One of the european marques is using the rain sensing wipers to signal a pre-charge of the brake calipers in order to keep them dried out.
  • bergaminibergamini Posts: 45
    I am OK with you picking on me ;-)

I wish I didn't love the auto-sense wipers so much. It really was the decider for me in the Avalon vs. Limited debate when I bought my new '11. When I bought my '04 XLS, it was one of the last ones with the old body style and I got a good deal on a new one with the auto-sense. I didn't care too much either way until, after 6 years of having them, I realize that I can barely function in a car without them. I find it a terrible imposition on my time to have to turn the wipers on and adjust the intermittent. I know, crazy, right?
  • lakebreeze1lakebreeze1 Posts: 8
    edited May 2010
    To those of you who think the sunshade, vent seats, push button start and rain sense are gimmicks, you're speaking without knowing. I admit I was one of you until I got my 08 ltd. Do I need any of these? Not really. Do I want them in future cars I'll own, definitely.
    Rain sensors are almost a need. What's great is they adjust to the speed of car in addition to the rain. The days when you have an intermittent mist and you couldn't find the right intermittent setting on the wipers are gone. When you stop for a light under a bridge and you don't need the wipers going, they'll stop for you. Partly what it does is reduce the wear on the blades and reduces how much smear on the windshield you get.
    Sun Shade, cooling the car while parked? Not really, but I like it for the times when an idiot is behind me with the brights on or the few times the sun is low behind me and blinding my mirrors. It's also nice for when passengers are in back and the sun is coming in on them.
    Vented seats. I sit a lot at work and having a cool rear is more refreshing than you'd think. (Laughing is allowed). Again though, until you've had the option of warming yourself on a cold morn or cooling off after a round of golf, you don't know how nice it is.
    Push button start, again almost a need. Never having to fish out your keys from your pocket is WONDERFUL. Getting into my '00 Sienna van and having to use a key seems almost primitive. Being able to just walk up to your locked car, grab the handle, open it, sit down, and push a button to go is just short of having a driver waiting to whisk you away.

A couple of things I do wish for are a mute button for the radio and dials for the climate controls. I hate having to take my eyes off the road to see what setting I'm punching to with the buttons.

If you can spare the extra $$, I think you'll be surprised how much those "bells and whistles" are appreciated.
  • hnelsenhnelsen Posts: 1
    Went shopping for 2011 Avalon with my wife yesterday. Dealer only had one in stock. Passenger side seat belt had strong, uncomfortable take-up tension. No problem with driver side. Called Toyota and was told this could not be adjusted. Has anyone else encountered this problem with their autos?
    hnelsen
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Posts: 36
    I have noticed this in many cars, not just in Toyotas. The driver side seat belt is fine, but the passenger one seems to become tighter and tighter....not comfortable for me.
  • gramzgramz Posts: 102
    Just purchased a 2011 Avalon Limited. The last 2 cars I've owned were DTS Cadillacs. The Avalon may not ride quite as good but I enjoy driving it more. I look at the Avalon before I bought my first DTS but for some reason I passed. I really like the looks of them and am quite happy.
  • just__mejust__me Posts: 508
    I used to post on this board some years back when I purchased ,I believe the 2005 Avalon. I owned the very first one Toyota made as well. I think that was in 98. I recently traded in my 2008 yesterday and purchased the Avalon 2011. It is the best of all of them that I've owned. (I definitely like the changes inside on the dash as well as the suttle ones on the exterior) I got it with the Memory which includes the 8 way passenger seat with lumbar support and heated seats to boot.

I compared it to the Ford Taurus, and the new Buick LaCross. Both are nice cars. Also the Maxima. However in comparing all the spec's, fuel miles, rear seat room, etc., etc. I still believe the Avalon (or the Limited for those that want it) for me anyway was the best buy in many ways. The Buick weighs to much and loses it on MPG.

The first time I've used Blue Tooth, ( dial by number) is fantastic. Satellite radio which I never wanted I believe has me hooked . The new color Cypress Pearl is very nice. Already my neighbors asked me about the color. I ordered it without even seeing a paint chip, just from the Avalon brochure and couldn't be happier. This by far is the best car we have ever owned. The back up camera is a dream. As far as navigation, I didn't want it, I use the Garmin which is so easy and mount it when I need to. So for me having the navigation installed is a waste of money. I take my Garmin when I rent a car with me.

This car has it all safety wise, VSC, Brake Assist, Traction control etc. Folding outside mirrors, back up camera, Blue Tooth, all standard, things guests on this board asked for when I was posting, and Toyota made them standard. I'm not one that shows off, so lables like Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes are not for me. If you look at the report on Mercedes for what it cost, the quality just isn't there. Read about it in Consumers. My dealer has been just wonderful over the years. With all the Avalons I've owned I think this is the 5th one, I've never had a problem. It's one very comfortable car for me.

Good Luck to every one, whatever you decide on. :)
    I just read the 2 reviews in the "Learn More" section on the right side of this page: http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/avalon/2011/consumerreview.html
    The first reviewer says the mats in all the new Avalons are black. For those of you who've bought the car, is this true?
    twinb,

Mine are black and provide a nice contrast to the light gray interior. FWIW, my salesman told me the black mats come in all new Avalons. He also pointed out that the black ones would show less dirt, which is true. I tried everything to clean the gray mats in my '07, but could never get all of the winter grime out of them.
    edited May 2010
    Seems to me that once again the suits at Corporate have shot themselves in the foot. There are those of us who will have beige or gray interiors that want color matching carpet mats. Every other car company offers several colors, but Toy will let us have any color we want, as long as it's black. What the hell is wrong with those people? My guess is they saved ten cents per car when they ordered 8 million mats in black instead of some in black, beige, and gray. Lentz, Carter and the gang are doing everything they can to keep me from buying an Avalon.
  • gramzgramz Posts: 102
    Not sure where this is coming from but my mats are beige.
  • just__mejust__me Posts: 508
    I was told Black mats when I purchased the car. However they gave me Beige mats that match my interior. So not sure about this all blac mats?