Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The "spread" come directly from Toyota.com and Lexus.com.
  • ctlctl Posts: 123
    mostly correct except Camry top end (V6 XLE) is 29K+
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    A link to the gear ratios; The 5th & 6th gears are well below 1.00!

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/default.aspx?carID=18082&i=2
    edited August 2010
    Re: clear coat or nothing on alloy wheels/door chrome. Found the answer today in the parts dept. of my local dealer; both items have a clear coat protectant. The guy warned me not to use any product containing acid as an ingredient, particularly on the alloy wheels. There was a pint of wheel cleaner with the Toy label for $9.95; I know there's something to be said for using the manufacturer's products. Before I buy it I'l try warm sudsy water to see how well that takes the brake dust off, it's Meguiar's gold classic car wash. Then a coat of plain carnuba. The magnesium chloride used here in Denver for snowy/icy roads is a killer.
  • Isn't it odd that the speedometer on our 2011 Limiteds show a top speed of 160mph? If it were more realistic as to top speed (120 mph?), the markings could be made bigger for the speeds we do travel...just a thought. Meanwhile; no problems at all on my LTD 2011 @ 5000 miles!
  • algeealgee Posts: 78
    edited August 2010
    I don't understand. I'm 71, wear glasses, and have no trouble reading the gauges on the 2011 avalon. I like them alot the way they are. They look very cool. Maybe if my glasses weren't up to date I would understand ;-)

Ole guy :) :)
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 589
    Right... all for show on the speedometer. The unlimited top end is just over 140 and the electric speed limiter keeps it down to the 120's, probably for safety and liability reasons. This subject has been discussed and the speeds calculated many times before by several regulars here. Enjoy your '11 Limited.... great cars.... love my '07L at 60k miles.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Posts: 324
    The engine is limited to match the tire rating. Since the Avalon's tire are only rated to 120 the engine is limited to that speed as well..
  • nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    I just took my Avalon on my first road trip. I got 29.7 MPG the one timed I checked it. I'm yet to fill it up again so later I'll post that with normal driving habits. I did get up to over 100 mph a few times with no problem so 29.7 is totally normal driving. I believe there is a chip that cuts the speed off or down. When I owned my 96 Chevy Impalla SS (back in 1996) they said the chip would only let it go 140 or 160. I forget now but this car had Z rated tires. I never got over 120 in that car. I hate tickets. I would be disappointed if my Avalon won't go over 120. I know, I know, I don't need to go that fast but sometimes you I like to put her in the wind. I am smitten totally by this car. This is probably one of the best cars I've owned so far. The roads in AL are not so good in some places and riding in my Mazda Protege this trip usually beat you to death. This trip was nothing in the Avalon. Makes driving fun.
    Avalons come with V rated tires, approved for sustained driving up to 149 mph, just in case the owner can figure out how to disconnect the speed limiter. Even H rated tires will take speeds up to 130 mph but it's not likely you will find H's on a new Avalon...for that reason if nothing else. As a replacement tire the H's will ride better and probably last longer, I put them on v-6 Hondas we have owned and they worked fine....
  • tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    edited August 2010
    Hs are good. I have H rated Goodyear Triple-Treds on my '08 Ltd.; they have 50,000+ on them with plenty of miles left.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Posts: 324
    Good information. Didn't realize the new models come with V-rated tires. My 2003 Avalon has H-rated tires
  • gramzgramz Posts: 106
    You might read the guauges ok but maybe not the posts all that well. :confuse:

Noone is saying they can't read the guages.

They are kind of cool but I think the they could be designed a lot better.
    So does anyone actually know how fast the 2011 Avalon will go? Top speed, with speed chips in place? On youtube, they show an Avalon going 160, they say the chip has been removed. In this video the Avalon actually crashed and totaled the car. You cage remained intact. The car was wiped out. The driver walked away. Makes you feel better about the cage on the car after seeing this. I would hate to get beside a limited ford Taurus only for the chip to slow my car down. Reason for mentioning the Taurus I did see two of these on our recent trip. Naturally he checked us out and we also checked his car out. There SEEMS to be larger door size but smaller car. I have not checked the specs on the Taurus. Anyone please let me know how fast our 2011 will go. Thanks!
    edited August 2010
    This question came up frequently when the 2005 model came out because the car was so much more powerful than the previous generation Avalon. You can scroll back and search all the posts at that time, but here is a summary: Theoretical top speed, no limiter, just over 140. This is moot however as the speed limiter will hold top speed to the 120's.

There are at least two ways to calculate top speed, both were used, both agreed within about 3 mph or so, you need to make assumptions. Individual cars and conditions may produce slightly different results. This also assumes all factory settings are left alone. "Performance" chips were not considered. Top speed occurs in gear IV in all models, gears V (and VI if you have it) are overdrives.
    Maybe someone in Germany who drives the autobahn will see your question. Here at home it'd be hard to answer unless the state cops would close a hundred miles of the interstate highway so your experiment could be done.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    According to a member on a popular Toyota site...

"Held the throttle down and the motor justs lays down and holds at 135 mph"

I had an 06 Avy and in one of my stupid moments took it close to that for a few seconds and it felt as if it had a lot more to give.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    Just went down and paid for, delivery next week, a 2011 Limited, Magnetic Gray with Ivory interior. Traded in my 2005 Avalon Limited with 20,600 miles on it. Got a very good deal on the 2011 and better than expected trade-in on my 2005.

Can't wait to take delivery and test it out. :)
  • Sir; You'll love it! At this time (almost 5,000 miles) no problems that we couldn't figure-out; use it in good health! We have a 2011 Limited.
  • fhffhf Posts: 19
    Douglas1,
    I also just took posession of a 2011 Avalon, and have only driven 190 miles so far. The only issues so far relate to the radio. I have not been able to get the radio to acknowledge anything plugged into the USB port (Ipod or flash drive). I have never gotten the radio to show the USB option on the screen. I have discussed with Toyota internet service with no success. Suggest you have the dealer check yours when you take delivery.

If you don't mind me asking...how much boot did you have to pay...I paid $32,800 OTD without a trade in.
  • gramzgramz Posts: 106
    I've had to calibrate my compass almost every time I took the car out of the garage and sometimes while on a trip. Stopped by the dealer and he said Toyota had just told them that they had a problem with them and was working on a fix.

Figured the fix wouldn't be out until September.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    If you don't mind me asking, what did the numbers look like.

Hell your 2005 wasn't even broken in:) Someone is going to love that trade-in.

Skip
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Hell the 2009 Camry XLE I was about to purchase (but bought a 2008 Avalon instead) - was $32,000.00+ The Avalon, was within a $1,000.00 of that price, so I bought it.

Skip
  • Just bought a 2011 Avalon and am very annoyed that so much functionality in the Navigation system is disabled when the car is in motion. Is the assumption that you need to pull over whenever you need to use the system? Is this another result of our lawsuit crazy society? I'll go back to my AAA travel books before I pull over every 5 minutes to use the navigation system.

How can I override the disabling of features that Toyota has imposed?
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    This is common of most if not all in dash OEM Nav systems.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    I paid just over $33,500 for my limited. MSRP is $36713. Probably not the most outstanding deal but I am satisfied with the deal. Got 2 years free scheduled maintenance too.

I tried to sell my 2005 on Craigs List and had no takers or even any interest.

When I traded in my 2001 for the 2005 I had only 19000 on the 2001 : )
  • tome1tome1 Posts: 10
    Douglas1 & fhf,
    I was also having trouble getting my ipod touch to work in our new Avalon Ltd. What I found that I had to do was to go into ipod settings and change Bluetooth setting from 'off' to 'on'. Then I was able to play my tunes thru car sound system. Good luck.
    20,000 your car was barley broken in. I'm curious how much trade they gave you on that car. Hope you enjoy your 2011, I know , I really like mine so far.
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 112
    I have a 2005 Avy Ltd. which we love. It has about 80,000 miles on it. Could you compare your 2005 to your 2011. Thanks.
    Has anyone out there drove that new Buick that suppose to compare to the Avalon?