Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    Thanks a lot Douglas, This does help. I remember now reprogramming a garage door opener I bought at home depot. I do NOT remember the button the man push to show me but I'm guessing it's the same way. Thanks again,
    edited August 2010
    Well I read another site today that said Toyota MIGHT discontinue the Avalon for 2012. Usually the value of any Avalon will go down after this happens. HOWEVER sometimes the opposite is true. Being in the car business for years I've seen many models discontinue and the value go down. There are a few cases in which this didn't happen. 1996 Impala SS, value went to the roof, car was discontinue, one example. So does ANYONE know anything about this? Some facts please, not just hear say. If I had to guess, I would say they would NOT discontinue this car. Unbelievable handling and speed and gas mileage for such a large car. I really like it. :confuse:
    I just read the rumor was around in 2010 too. Hope this helps.
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    Nancy, I'm drawn to your posts for some reason. Maybe because we're dealing with the same stuff almost at the same time. I 'did' my opener today, programmed seemed to strong a word for what it took to do it. Simply get your remote control from the other car & hold it about 2" from the Avy's rearview mirror. Simultaneously press the remote opener and the one of three buttons you choose for your garage opener; I chose #1 on the far left of the mirror. After pressing your remote button & the rearview mirror button you choose, hold both in while looking at the indicator light on the rearview mirror. It will start flashing and when it flashes quickly, after ~5-8 seconds, the deed is done & you can release both the remote button and your chosen mirror button. Voila, or whatever they say. (Looking forward to your next dilemma. hehe.)
    edited August 2010
    The salesman did this and it does not work. When I reprogrammed another garage door opener, the young man push a button on my opener. I'll retry what you said though. Thanks Twinb Maybe it will work at home. The salesman said it was programmed at the dealership but to our surprise it wasn't.
    Sorry twinb it didn't work. :o( I believe I'll have to find the reset button on the garage door opener, then try it that way. It would be nice if I could get this to work.
  • nfcjrgnfcjrg Posts: 1
    I have been doing research on synthetic oil on my new 2011 Avalon limited, trying to find out which synthetic was superior and several comments I heard about is Asmsoil was consider the top, I am wondering what brand of synthetic does the dealer uses.
    Any info would be appreciated..
    thank you
    nfcsrg
  • How often have you seen Toyota introduce a redesign on a model and then discontinue it the next year? Toyota has had a flagship luxury sedan in the US since 1977, starting with the Cressida and then migrating to the Avalon. It seems unlikely that they will abandon the strategy of a flagship luxury sedan after 33 years. In addition, sales of the Avalon have increased almost 50% over last year. Unless Toyota themselves announces it, or it is from a direct insider, then I would consider it to be a garbage rumor not-founded in any semblance of the facts.

The current redesign of the Avalon was not expensive and so even if sales are flat, it is a niche cash source because it is basically a stretched Camry with a few Lexus components thrown in.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9HC6KLO0.htm
  • lntlnt Posts: 192
    I work at school and put my keys in my school bag since I lock my purse in the trunk. For the second time since I've had my car, I threw my lunch bag(with my key fob in it) in my trunk after school and got my purse out and slammed the trunk shut and immediately thought, "OH NO!!!" My husband had to drive 20 miles to bring me my extra key fob. So, I am wondering if the 2011 Avalon has changed the system so that can't happen? I have heard that the Nissan Altima trunk won't latch if the keys are in it. Has Toyota thought of making that a feature on the new Avalons? Mine is a 2005 with only 38,000 miles, so I don't really need a new car, but might trade if they have made their trunk so that it doesn't lock with the keys in it. Maybe I should just go trade for a car that you have to use a real key to get into it.
    Hmmmmm. The directions I gave you came straight from the owner's manual, & it worked fine for me. It's odd that it won't work on your car. Hang in there, hear?
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 589
    My 2007 Limited will allow the keys to be locked in the trunk but not in the car interior. This event appears to be the same as yours. Anyone have a different result?
  • gramzgramz Posts: 106
    Tried my 2011 this am and you can't lock your fob in the trunk. You can lock it in the trunk but you can't lock the doors. If your door is open you can unlock the trunk.

There is a button on the outside of the trunk that opens the lid if the fob is close. I found a couple of spots in the trunk where this wouldn't work but it really doesn't matter as the door won't lock.

Good luck and this is my first fob and I wouldn't want to go back to a key.
  • tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    Since I bought my '08 Avalon I've wondered how to have a spare key on or in the car. I finally found a solution. Since I got the car I've carried my fob on a short watch chain and it hangs in my left-front pocket. My regular keys (house, etc) are on a ring in my right front pocket. What I've done is taken my extra fob, removed the mechanical key and keep it on my regular key ring and put the extra fob (with the battery removed) in the car (or trunk). If I need to use the extra fob for some reason (battery dead or fob lost) I open the car with the mechanical key and use the extra fob. You could, of course, put the extra fob with the battery removed under the car somewhere.
  • fhimesfhimes Posts: 17
    I recently purchased a 2011 Avalon Limited in Houston with the front seat ventilators and heating. It states on page 352 in the Owner's Manual that the switches must be turned off when the engine is not running to prevent battery damage. I found this to be very unusual and extremely inconvenient if true.

I asked the service manager at my Toyota dealer yesterday if this was accurate and he said it was not. He said all electrical devices are turned off when the engine is not running. Has anybody else discussed this with their dealer and if so what did they say?

Also try to find the tire pressure warning system switch that is shown behind the steering wheel in a sketch on page 411 in the Owner's Manual. It does not exist?
    I can understand the reasoning behind what your service mgn said. I wonder if he'll buy you a battery in a year or sold? HOWEVER, on my 2000 Avalon something always drained the battery and it would leave us stranded or needing a jump. One reason I traded it in. I suspect that your service mgn is telling you the truth. We do not shut our seats off. We might start now but haven't shut them off yet. We have less than 1,000 miles on our 2011 Avalon. I'm still trying to figure out the garage door opener. :o) TC,
  • gramzgramz Posts: 106
    The tire pressure warning switch is there but they hid it well. Under the steering wheel on the left side follow the bottom of the dash all the way to the bottom and then underneath about an inch.

Hard for me to explain but it's there.
    edited August 2010
    I'm curious how much your Avalon cost you in Houston? If this is too personal of a question then let me know. We went to dealership to look at two 2010's with 20 or so thousand miles on them. They were price around 26 both were LTD's. The salesman said they sold the same day they arrived. hmmm bait and switch?? We ended up buying a 2011 LTD without the navigation system. We paid 28 and our 2000 Avalon as a trade in, OTD (out the door) price, fees, taxes and all. We are happy. Our 2000 model had some kind of electrical problem but it had low miles of 108 thousand. Plus it had been in an accident. We did not buy that car new. So it's truly hard to say what we really paid for our car.
    edited August 2010
    My husband is going to try our other garage door today. I don't want to be one of these people who has a nice feature, not to ever use it.
    Thanks bergamini, That DOES make a lot of sense. They also redesign the 1996 Chevy Impala SS, first year with a center console. Then the next year they discontinue the SS. However, this is not apples to apples and NOT the same company. IF sales are up then I would say "no worries". I never see ANY ads on TV for the Avalon.
    edited August 2010
    No problem. Our purchase price in Houston was $33747 before TTL for the 2011 Limited without navigation system and with carpet mats and wheel locks, This is basically $100 over the so called invoice price which was identified as $33631 by the True Car Price Report. Do not know the accuracy of the True Car Price Report but two other Toyota dealers in Houston said the invoice cost was $33646.74.
    Thanks! I found the pressure switch based on your info. What a location.
  • I also had tried to find the switch based on the owners manual picture. I immediately went out to the garage and indeed there is a push button switch under the dash. However holding the switch down did not turn out the tire pressure warning light. I have been told that one of the sensors has been damaged and replacement would cost over $200. Should the switch turn off the light with a damaged sensor?
    edited August 2010
    I'll chime in here too because I bought my '11 LTD without navigation for $32,900 before TTL at Gulf States-Houston on the Internet. Included were premium carpet floor mats (black because light gray have not yet been offered in the Avalon), rear bumper applique, & the vehicle shield package with lusterizing sealant cleaner/wax plus interior leather conditioning. Total suggested retail was a tad under $36,900. So far the car is everything I'd hoped it would be.
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of which, today I filled the tank in my '11 Limited with ethanol free gas and after figuring the mileage/amount of gas to fill the tank, I averaged 27.6 MPG, combined city/hwy miles with the air conditioner on 75% of the time. Needless to say I'm pleased and impressed. 'Tickled pink' would be an even better phrase.
    2 days with no new posts. Gotta be some kinda record. Am I a thread killer par excellence or what? hehe.
  • fhffhf Posts: 19
    Problem Solved .
    I took my 2011 Avalon Limited to the dealer and they found a loose connection. Now my Ipod gen 5.5 30GB works as described in the manual.
    I purchased a 2011 Limited in May.I had written a message a few weeks ago that my interior and puddle lights on the outside rear view mirrors did not come on when I approached the car with the starter device in my pocket. Some of you responded that it takes a special setting by the dealer to make this happen. I finally learned from my dealer that this function only works when all the exterior doors are locked. No other settings are required. My lights work fine now. I do not remember this requirement being explained in the owner's manual.
  • algeealgee Posts: 78
    Mine don't work and all my doors are locked. Dealer is going to reset the computer settings.
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Posts: 37
    edited August 2010
    1st post here: Past owner of a 2003 GLX Avalon, bought new, put 110,000 miles on it...1 bad oxygen........Was very pleased with that car.....sold to private party for "way more" than what a trade-in was worth.

1. Bought 2011 LTD, White, Navigation, etc.---Tax, license.....$37,851.81

2. Garage door opener, took a few trys, but works great.....manual was not written very clear for more that a few items for the 2011.

3. Have gotten as high as 29.4 mpg but as low as 24.6 mpg.....If you can purchase "straight gas" you are much better off.....car runs better and mileage is better but the cost for straight gas if more.

4. Just recently had the oil changed....Toyato service thought it called for "synthetic" but we checked "oil filler cap"....oil 5 - 30 weight.

General comments.....love the 6 speed transmission and the increase HP, better gas mileage than the 2003, quiet, seating is good, love the cooling/heated seats, cup holder is better thn the 2003.

Why would Toyato discontinue the Avalon series????? The demand is there, cheaper than a Lexus, with many of the same options.....AND the Avalon performs very well on "regular gas"....yea!!!!!!!

Ohhh 1 additional comment.....Nagivation is a "pain in the [non-permissible content removed]" but then I got spoiled with the Tom Tom 730, undates were free, could change/ask while driving...maybe there is a way to "work around" while driving????????
  • danhoustondanhouston Posts: 20
    edited September 2010
    does anyone know what/how much the factory to dealer incentive is for 2011 avalons? i'd like to purchase and have curiosity of a close estimate for the actual dealer's cost. currently, there's no incentives/rebates offered to customers.

thanks in advance