Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    No traffic jams in this small town unless you go downtown. The mpg was city but I probably should point out I live in the country outside the big city of Athens GA. I'll continue to give MPG as I go. We have about 900 miles on it so far. Needless to say we don't drive much. :o)
  • I purchased my 2011 Avalon in May and took a 500 mile highway trip with only several hundred miles on it. The MPG on this highway trip was 31.7 I have been averaging 21-22 MPG in the city which is a several miles lower than what I received on my 2000 Avalon XLS. I now have around 2700 miles on the car.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    I use to get 30-35 on the highway and low 20's in city with my 2008 Touring Edition Avalon. I say use to, because since putting on some new tires (Bridgestone Turranza Sernety's) - I'm getting mid to upper 20's on the highway and upper teens in the city:(

I will be taking a nice long road trip (again) - within the next few weeks and I'll be watching it better then. And I'll be hitting the road again 2 weeks later for another road trip (not as far, but with the car full up with passengers and such). I'm not looking forward to these trips, just because of the fuel mileage.

I'll check back afterwards.

Skip
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    Hi Nancy, er, ah, Bill. Yuk Yuk. I figure the gas mileage myself; fill the tank, run it to empty, then refill & keep track of the total miles per tankful. Just filled it again this weekend and got 27.4 mpg; that includes a trip into the mountains west of Denver, from 5,000 to 9,000 feet altitude, so the mileage on the first fill-up was not a fluke. I think the engine & tranny gearing are perfectly set for this size car.
  • gramzgramz Posts: 105
    I just turned 5,000 miles on my limited and haven't reset the MPG in the last 3,500 miles and it reads 30.4.

Now the qualifications. I live in a rural area and most of my driving is at 65. When I go to a town or small city I will only have 4 or 5 stops and then it's back home. These towns are anywhere from 40-150 miles away and most people will seem more traffic on their way to work tomorrow that I will see in the next couple of months. I do drive some interstate at 75 but not a lot and I did make one long trip which included some large city driving but again not a lot.

This has been with regular gas and all good weather. The only thing that might have cost me a couple of few tenths would be the wind.

If everything goes according to plan I'm going to start running ethanol the next time I fill up. This has always cost me about sd2mpg on other cars.

Will keep you posted.
  • This Avalon amazes me with its MPG! It gets as good mileage as many 4's and even better than some. Are there any other v6's that even come close? Love this car.
    Hello again twinb, If you makes you feel better Nancy has responded on this blog to several things. You can spot the difference easy. She has good English skills and I don't. She drives like a old lady, I don't but I'm forced to when she's in there which is 95% of the time. We're not old, I'm 53, she's 49 but she drives like she is. I guess you're only old as you feel. Right?

WE both love the Avalon. We love the ride, how fast it is, how quite it is and we especially love the MPG, oh yea, the room or extra room I should say. My mom road in the back seat and said it's like riding in a Hurst. This Avalon gets better gas mileage than my 2003 Mazda Protege sedan which had a 4 cyl. in it.

I've noticed a slow shifting in my transmission when cold. But since we don't drive it that much, I'm not sure if it's me or if it's truly slipping. Other than that I have no complaints and that slow shifting transmission might just be me. Till next time, Bill
    gramz you MUST really live in a rural area. I have to ask where that is? Thanks, Bill
    After raising the hood, I'm kind of disappoint that there is NOT a light there. I guess I'm just a complainer but seems to me Toyota should have put a light under the hood. My 2001 Dodge Diesel has a light under it's hood. MAYBE that's not typical. I THINK my Impala SS (1996) had a light under the hood but honestly I can't remember.
    Well the big 50 birthday for the wife is coming up. So MPG will be noted and closely watched. We usually go South to Florida so it will be flat driving.
    edited September 2010
    That's downhill too, isn't it? Happy Five-Oh to yer better half. Tell 'er she's not over the hill, she's just pickin' up speed.
    edited September 2010
    Yep, just like wine, she gets better with age. October 12th is the big day and she wants to get OUT of the house. She says!

We drove the Avalon yesterday. I think the slipping of the transmission is in my head. It just shifts so smooth. It's hard NOT to drive it. We both love the ride so much. Almost makes driving a pleasure. I'm really glad we bought one.

Well, I have no updates on my car. Nothing but nice things to say about it. I will keep everyone updated on MPG. Today as everyone knows is Sept. 11th, anniversary of the attack in 2001. Till next time, Bill 990 miles on it, I'm catching up twinb
    South Dakota and don't spread it around as we don't need a flood of people moving here :D

Filled up with ethanol this morning for the first time. I reset my mpg so I'm sure I'll be under 30. Hate to see this.
    Please keep us informed on how your car does in SD. What I learned about cars is this. Heat or cold effects them. Being new, you'll probably have no effect however please keep us informed. Especially on starting. Thanks gramz
    I think you'll safe on people moving up there. ;)
  • Had two 2011 Avalons on the lot, when I got mine.......mine had Michelin tires and the other had Bridgestone tires.

My question is "what brand of tires came on your 2011 Avalon"???????

To the person from South Dakota....Hi!!!!! Went to college in Spearfish, wife was from Custer......I miss the "hills" but not the hot and cold weather.
  • Mine came with Michelin. Michelin are much better than the Bridgestone in MHO.
    Mine came with Michelin. Always had good luck with them.

To ex-South Dakota - Where do you live now that has perfect weather?
    Mine had the Bridgestones installed, dealer wouldn't change them. I was mad but the dealer probably didn't lose sleep over it.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    mine had Michelin tires and the other had Bridgestone tires.

I am not sure if they are still putting the Bridgeston Turanza EL400s on the Avalon, but my 06 had them and were shot by 27K. They were terrible tires. I rotated them every 5K and kept them properly inflated. So, IMO if you are shopping find one with the Michelins. Bridgestone makes some good tires, just not the EL400s.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• Just got my new Avalon a few days ago, but can't seem to find body side moldings...they're available for most years up through 2010, but nothing for 2011. Anyone got any suggestions/links? Thank you.
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    edited September 2010
    I just got mine from a Toyota dealer somewhere in the southeast on eBay. They are the same as 2010 and actually the same as the ones I got for my 2005 Avalon. I got them for about $75.00 delivered. Do a search on eBay for 2011 Avalon body side molding. I haven't had time to mine on yet they the color is definitely correct.

The dealer is Clearwater Toyota in Clearwater FL. You might want find the number and call them directly as I just checked and didn't see them on eBay now.
  • Thanks for the info...I thought of using the ones for '10, but didn't the '11 have a body refresh? I thought because of that, the '10's wouldn't fit.
    Yep the EL400's are on my '11 LTD. 27K miles with rotations & well maintained, eh? Guess there's a trade-off between soft rubber, a great ride, poor mileage & the opposite. Still, it'd be nice to get 40K on a set that'll cost well over $500 to replace.

Good to know the body side moldings are available somewhere. My local parts dept. doesn't have them, nor can they get the light gray carpet floor mats. Wonder if the mats from the '10 would fit into the '11? Whenever I've asked my parts dept. guy these questions he gives me that blank stare & says the '11 is changed from the '10.

And that ends my whining for today.
  • A little checking on the web shows the same stock number for aftermarket floor mats for the Avalon 2007-2011 (I didn't go back further). My guess is that OEM mats are the same for this generation Avalon. Toyota might have made some changes, but keeping the floor mats common would save a lot of money.

Pairing the current options down to a couple of colors just saves more.
    Sign into ebay and put this number in your search engine on ebay:

Item number on ebay: 310207133014
    Also this number on ebay: 350306829635

There are many to choose from. Body side moldings, hope this helps!
  • One of the main differences I've noticed is the ride. Much softer and quieter. Another thing is that the reflection that (at certain times) came off the dash was very hard on these old eyes. Like the new taillights and back up camera. Not many other differences other than a new speedo with 0 miles on it.
    Thanks for the info Pops and Bill.
  • Go to www.sportwing.com. They have painted body side moldings for your car. At the present time they are not charging for shipping.
    That's a neat site Schultz, thanks. I'm thinking of also passing it on to my grandson for his Silverado pickup, but I've got mixed feelings because I know it'll cost me $$$.