Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    edited August 2010
    Yea, I guess those people who know about gears/ratio to gears and this stuff can tell me why my Mazda Protege (automatic with 4 cly.) only gets 30 MPG. I know, my Mazda is quick, zoom, zoom, zoom, but I AM REALLY IMPRESSED by my new '11 Avalon. Tomorrow is our first trip in it. Hard to believe I've had it a week and have not drove it, I can't wait. :o), I will give MPG when I get back. Toyota really out done themselves on this car. Of course we all paid for it. Right? I hear they MIGHT discontinue the Avalon or better yet make it a rear wheel drive. Any word for anyone on this?
    First thing we do when we buy a new car/truck is buy a small book. We keep EVERY receipt, from the original sticker on out to when we sell it. People are always impressed by the records we keep. EVEN every fill up we figure out the MPG and write it down. Yes, this takes a little extra time but in the long run it will pay for itself. I assure you of that.
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    Discontinue their 2nd best selling car, their flagship? Whoever told you that must have been drunk or nuts.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    Not the 2nd best selling car. I bet you forgot about the Corolla.
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure what car outsells the other but I do know that I read this on the internet. I can't say for certain that it's true. The same article said they was going to discontinue the Solar, this was a certainty. I would think Corolla would be number two, Camery number one. The article DID NOT say for sure they would discontinue the Avalon. They said Toyota had thought about it. They also thought about making the Avalon rear wheel drive in 2012 if not discontinue. NOW that I can see. Hard to do without sacrificing MPG though. Even if it's discontinued that does not necessarily drive the price down on all Avalon's. In fact it could have an opposite effect on older Avalons.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    They also thought about making the Avalon rear wheel drive in 2012 if not discontinue. NOW that I can see.

They just redid the Avalon for 2011. The last redo was in 05 which lasted five years. Basing it on history this "generation" will be around for a few more years before another redesign.

As for the Avalon going RWD, IMO not gonna happen. The Avalon is a fairly low volume car compared to the Corolla, Camry and Prius. The reason it survives is because it shares many (many!) parts with the V6 Camry. If they take to RWD it will certainly raise the price closer to Lexus territory and will make it difficult to sell over a GS350.

Now... if the Avalon some how, some way ever goes RWD I will stand in line to buy one. I loved my 06 (my second favorite car ever) and wish I replaced it with another one.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

edited August 2010
    So far I really like my 2011. I bought a used 2000 and had electrical problems but LOVED the ride so much I had to have one. I could have sold it to some unsuspecting buyer but I simply didn't have the heart to do that. I traded it in. So far I am impressed by this 2011 but honestly I have not driven this car much at all. Good Lord Willing this will be our first long trip today. IF THE WIFE can EVER get ready. I did notice that the trunk does not close first thing. It will close but takes a few tries. Plus the line up in MY trunk is a little off. Americans better take better pride in building such cars or people like me will look for the J in the first of the Vin number. J stands for Japan.

I do believe you are right. Avalon is a low sell car. When we purchase a new Diesel in 2001, I was told then that the Diesel's are low sells but they are also the truck they make the most money on. I bought a Dodge. What a mistake! Engine solid, body not so solid. But I still have it and I get great MPG out of this large truck. I only have 51 thousand miles on it. :o)
  • tfeltontfelton Posts: 80
    I've put on new tires on my '08 Ltd. Nothing had to be reprogramed. This is with regards to the tire pressure sensing which are in the valve stems.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited August 2010
    If Lexus can sell the Camry as an ES350....

Then why not.....

A GS350 sold as an Avalon, or market replacement for, wouldn't be a bad idea.

RWD, optional R/awd, and......DFI....!

Camry top end, ~$26,000, ES350 base, ~$35,000.

Avalon, top end ~35,000, GS350 base, ~$45,000.

Note the same ~$10,000 "spread".
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    The GS would need to be stretched about a foot to be an Avalon replacement. There is no way Toyota could do that and keep the price in line with what it is now. The Avalon's pricing works because it shares a lot of parts and is built here in the US alongside more popular models.

I think your "spread #s" above are actually closer to 5K. A loaded up Camry will go over 30K and the Avalon gets awfully close to 40K.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The "spread" come directly from Toyota.com and Lexus.com.
  • ctlctl Posts: 123
    mostly correct except Camry top end (V6 XLE) is 29K+
    A link to the gear ratios; The 5th & 6th gears are well below 1.00!

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/default.aspx?carID=18082&i=2
    edited August 2010
    Re: clear coat or nothing on alloy wheels/door chrome. Found the answer today in the parts dept. of my local dealer; both items have a clear coat protectant. The guy warned me not to use any product containing acid as an ingredient, particularly on the alloy wheels. There was a pint of wheel cleaner with the Toy label for $9.95; I know there's something to be said for using the manufacturer's products. Before I buy it I'l try warm sudsy water to see how well that takes the brake dust off, it's Meguiar's gold classic car wash. Then a coat of plain carnuba. The magnesium chloride used here in Denver for snowy/icy roads is a killer.
  • Isn't it odd that the speedometer on our 2011 Limiteds show a top speed of 160mph? If it were more realistic as to top speed (120 mph?), the markings could be made bigger for the speeds we do travel...just a thought. Meanwhile; no problems at all on my LTD 2011 @ 5000 miles!
  • algeealgee Posts: 78
    edited August 2010
    I don't understand. I'm 71, wear glasses, and have no trouble reading the gauges on the 2011 avalon. I like them alot the way they are. They look very cool. Maybe if my glasses weren't up to date I would understand ;-)

Ole guy :) :)
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    Right... all for show on the speedometer. The unlimited top end is just over 140 and the electric speed limiter keeps it down to the 120's, probably for safety and liability reasons. This subject has been discussed and the speeds calculated many times before by several regulars here. Enjoy your '11 Limited.... great cars.... love my '07L at 60k miles.
  • hdfatboyhdfatboy Posts: 324
    The engine is limited to match the tire rating. Since the Avalon's tire are only rated to 120 the engine is limited to that speed as well..
    I just took my Avalon on my first road trip. I got 29.7 MPG the one timed I checked it. I'm yet to fill it up again so later I'll post that with normal driving habits. I did get up to over 100 mph a few times with no problem so 29.7 is totally normal driving. I believe there is a chip that cuts the speed off or down. When I owned my 96 Chevy Impalla SS (back in 1996) they said the chip would only let it go 140 or 160. I forget now but this car had Z rated tires. I never got over 120 in that car. I hate tickets. I would be disappointed if my Avalon won't go over 120. I know, I know, I don't need to go that fast but sometimes you I like to put her in the wind. I am smitten totally by this car. This is probably one of the best cars I've owned so far. The roads in AL are not so good in some places and riding in my Mazda Protege this trip usually beat you to death. This trip was nothing in the Avalon. Makes driving fun.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    Avalons come with V rated tires, approved for sustained driving up to 149 mph, just in case the owner can figure out how to disconnect the speed limiter. Even H rated tires will take speeds up to 130 mph but it's not likely you will find H's on a new Avalon...for that reason if nothing else. As a replacement tire the H's will ride better and probably last longer, I put them on v-6 Hondas we have owned and they worked fine....