Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• popsavalonpopsavalon Posts: 231
    You seem to be confused about ethanol content. I think it is safe to say that 98% of regular 87 octane gas has at least 10% ethanol (it's posted on a sticker on the pump, or is supposed to be!).

It is very difficult to find ethanol free gas anywhere, I live in the south and no retailer in town has ethanol free gas in any octane level. I understand there is one pump at the local distributor with pure 87 octane gas, but it is about .25/gal. higher.

Like you, I am convinced that ethanol (10%) will reduce mileage by 2-3 MPG.
  • pats1pats1 Posts: 36
    If you really believe the Lexus ES350 and the Toyota Camry are essentially the same car (which is what you imply), than you've not done the requisite research, including - and especially - driving them both. While some of the dimensional data may be similar (almost none of it is identical), there is a world of difference in these two vehicles. So saying/implying that an ES350 is an over-priced Camry is really not correct. I will agree that because both car lines are owned by the same company there are some items in the two cars which don't affect their uniqueness and niche which are the same, but they are clearly NOT the same car. I'm not trying to disrespect you, just disagreeing with your implication.
  • gramzgramz Posts: 102
    None of the 87 octane gas in this area, SD, ND and IA, has any ethanol. The gas in our area with ethanol is posted and is 89 octane. We also have 91 octane with no ethanol.
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    Here's the link I used to find my local station:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CO
    The web site listed, "puregas.org" shows only 3-4 stations in ND, SD, and 6 in IA as places to get ethanol free gas. I do not understand your post about all 87 octane (regular) gas being ethanol free in those states???

I would guess that about 99% of the retailers in your area have ethanol content, just like the rest of the U.S.
    edited August 2010
    i guess I don't know what puregas.org is all about but 99.9% of the stations in these states have the following

Unleaded Gas - 87 octane

Super Unleaded Gas - 91 octane

10% Ethanol- 89 octane

We have a number of stations that sell E-85 which has 15% ethanol.

Maybe you can answer one of my first questions and tell me what you consider pure gas?

We also have a number of ethanol plants in operation around here that produce ethanol from the corn that we raise.

While traveling in the Texas to Arizona area there was some unleaded gas that was on 85 octane. This is the only place that I've ever ran into it.
    I consider "pure gas" to be non-ethanol gas of any octane level. It is almost non-existant now in most areas of the country.
    The 10% (or greater) ethanol content gas is now playing havoc with the fuel systems of any engine that was not specifically manufactured for protection against moisture laden alcohol. Ethanol also reduces automobile gas mileage by 2-3%
    I responded to your original post because I found it hard to believe that dealers are selling "pure gas" in the heart of a corn growing, ethanol manufacturing, section of the U.S. It would be like cutting off the hand that feeds them!
    We're on the same page with what pure gas is and like I posted, 99.9% of the stations in my three state area have unleaded and super unleaded which is ethanol free.

I've ran a hundred or so tanks, in three different cars and a pickup, rotating between unleaded and ethanol. It's been my experience that my mileage loses closer to 8% using ethanol.
  • nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    Thank you for the input on the Buick Lacrosse. I ofter wonder how these two cars rated against one another. I wholesale cars for years and learned a lot about resale value. I believe the Toyota will hold value better. When I was in the business over 15 years ago, then I can say for sure the Toyota would hold better value. However today, with today's market, I honestly can't say. I'm still betting on the Avalon. I paid 35 without the navigation system. LTD. The 2011 Avalon also has some blind spots. Thanks again!
  • jim3jim3 Posts: 19
    Bought my 2011 Avalon on may 27th and still have not received the coupons, or whatever I need to get the free maintenance I called the dealer several times , and the excuse has been that Toyota is just way behind and they would get back to me, which they have not done. Needless to say, I'm severely pissed, to put it mildly. It took forever to get the title, which I finally received last week. The dealer was supposed to have transmitted the info to the state by wire transfer, which according to the state was sent a month after I bought the car. I called Toyota today, not the dealer, and they said they don't mail them til they get something from the dealer which apparently they were very late in doing. Toyota says they are in the mail. Where have I heard that before? Anyone else have a similar experience? I wondered if they could be playing some kind of game with using my money for a while and not reporting the sale. ( I paid cash for the car, and I noticed they got the car from another dealer) Any thoughts?
    edited August 2010
    It's your dealer, I received mine first thing along with the red carpet. On another note, I did check my mileage today and got 26.9 MPG that's city/hwy, I am happy with that number. Oh yea, 10% corn gain in that fill up. Could not fine pure gas. I'm not sure it would make that much difference anyway. Oh yea, there's certainly a blind spot on the drivers side. In fact, I'm buying a little stick on mirror asap.
    I'm happy with my Avalon but feel guilty buying such an expensive car with so many people out of work. Is that wrong of me to feel guilty? I guess because I had a 2003 Mazda that is/was a fine car with only 59 thousand miles on it. OF COURSE, I really like the difference in the ride. I still feel guilty! :cry:
  • twinbtwinb Posts: 140
    edited August 2010
    C'mon will ya Nan. There is absolutely no connection between people being out of work and you buying a new car. Truth be told, you're keeping people working with your purchase. Guilty? pfttttt. You should hold your head up with pride.
  • Hello---Just to give you a time-line, I bought my 2011 Limited on 5/5/2010 and got the free service coupons by the end of May. Matter of fact, I now have 5000miles and just got my first free service! Good deal & great car!

I wish you well.
    Thanks, Twinb, I never thought of what you said. At least not that way. Good sound advice. I feel much better now. Take care, Nancy :) :)
  • Have about 4000 miles on my 2011 LTD. Traded in a 2000 xls with about 170K miles - which was clearly the best car I ever owned.

Question: On my 2011 I'm getting a lot of film forming on inside windows. I've been told this is normal from plasticizers, etc... is it?
    Thanks
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    My 2006 Avalon did this from day one till the day I got rid of it. It did lessen over time, but still happened.

My 09 Genesis does it too, although not as bad as the Avalon.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• iamknottiamknott Posts: 82
    I am experiencing the same thing (film on windows) and it seems to be worse than on previous cars, or maybe I just notice it more on the Avalon because the rear window is so deep that I really have to stretch during the weekly cleaning. I blame it on two things: the seeming lack of exhaust vents near the rear window and Toyota's factory settings on the HVAC system which seem to default on Recirculate. No wonder those plastic fumes coat the windows -- they have no place to go.

Don't make the same mistake I did. At first, I thought it was condensation, so I applied the interior kind of Rain-X to the inside of the rear window. That made it worse and the Rain-X is a b*tch to remove.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    because the rear window is so deep that I really have to stretch during the weekly cleaning

This cheap little tool actually works fairly well and makes that job a little easier.

Windshield Wonder

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• iamknottiamknott Posts: 82
    Thanks a lot, tic! I've been looking for something like that without success. It will be interesting to see if it reaches all the way to the bottom edge of the window. The angle of the glass to the rear deck is so sharp that it is next to impossible to get my hand and a towel in there.