Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    Yes, tires suppose to be rotated every oil change. At least my dealer told me this. It's included in the two year Toyota agreement. I am told for the Avalon it's very important because of so much weight in the front in. (Front Wheel Drive) IF not the tires will wear out MUCH faster. Hope this helps. Bill
  • gramzgramz Posts: 105
    I'm taking the free tire rotations that included in the agreement. However, I was reading something the other day that questions the value of it if you are paying. The article said that if you're paying for the rotations you won't recover your costs in longer thread wear, especially if you're rotating every 5,000 miles.

In the past I've rotated about every 15,000 miles. Don't know if I came out ahead or behind.
  • oldman925oldman925 Posts: 22
    edited December 2009
    Thanks , good info . I have Bridgestone tires and i think you may be right on tire life , did not think about tires when i bought . i too rotated at 15000 miles but had premium tires .
  • robsisrobsis Posts: 160
    edited March 2011
    Yes. They rotate mine every 5K. Seems to work well doing it with the oil change. My concern is always the balance and having a shimmy after the rotation; however, it seems to have worked well for me.... :)
  • adholtmanadholtman Posts: 21
    tome1; Did you ever get to this problem? I have exactly the same issue; it just doesn't darken nearly enough? Can the dealer darken it?

Thanks
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    I was noticing the same thing. My 2005 Avalon Limited seemed to dim much more than my 2011. I've even turned it on and off just to make sure it was working but the dimming is really marginal.
  • nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    I have a 2001 Dodge Diesel truck. I paid for free rotation which cost 70 dollars. In other words every time I take the truck in I can rotate the tires. I rotate the tires about every 10 to 15 thousand miles. I've have them rotated about 4 or 5 times, Today same tires with good EVEN treat wear. I suspect because of age I need new tires though. However they look good like I said and have treat left. FYI..........so rotation is very important on tires, I am a firm believer in that. HOW often, I can't say for sure.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    k, sounds like I'll like the seats É what about the rest of the car:)?

Dislikes:

Like the quiet, the ride, the smooth handling, the power, the styling, the comfort, the ease of operating the amenities, no I-drive, no mouse, no dial, nice clear push buttons for everything! Very intuitive Navigation that is the easiest to use and only surpassed by Ford's Sync. Like the Mileage, 21MPG in town. Like the reliability, no problems yet at all.

Dislike? Honestly, haven't found anything to dislike yet, after a year and 18,000 miles.
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Posts: 37
    Wiper blade problems continue...at 12,500 I complained, Toyota replaced blades...new ones were worse...so 4/4/2011...I took car in....had service manager sit in car...listen to noise the blades were making, it was raining at the time. He took car in shop and cleaned the windows, then drove it around...but noise was still there......service manager said "I'm going to have to do some research on this"......I'll keep you posted, I'll be a "son of a gun" if I'm going to have a "top of the line kind of vehicle", that has noisy wiper blades....especially living in Washington State.....land of Rain.....

Tire rotation.....I do mine every 5,000 but have a company called Les Schwab do the rotation....reason is I trust Les Schwab....and they have many stores in the state I live in, Washington and states that I travel to.

Dealer does the oil change!!!!!
    Just arrived back home and the odometer turned over 17000 miles. I went to Arizona the end of December and lived in the Phoenix area for two months and drove in their traffic. I then went to south Texas taking I-10 across southern Texas where the speed limit was 80 MPH. The Avalon cruised great at that speed. I drove in the south Texas traffic for a month then with a couple of visity along the way headed back toward South Dakota.

Saturday I had a strong tail wind and my instantaneous mileage was often in the 35-40 range. Today I had a strong head wind and I saw it in the 19-25 range a lot of the time. I guess everything evens out arange.

I haven't reset the MPG since I bought the car last May and it now reads 27.1. I'm as tickled as can be with the mileage and the car.

I've had my services done at three different dealers and haven't had any problem at all.
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    You should have heard the chatter of wiper blades on my 06 Q45. The Japanese car mfrs are very competent in knowing what Americans expect in a car most of the time, but sometimes, they are absolutely clueless.
    where is the MPG button to set as described in your post .my car shows 22 miles and 24 miles and one reading shows only --- dashes .i have 2900 miles on it .6 months old now.
  • jim3jim3 Posts: 19
    When I complained loudly enough, after replacing the blades didn't do it, the dealer replaced the arm on the passenger side. Problem solved. Talking to a friend this morning, also a 2011 Av owner, he's also having the wiper problem. Must be faulty wiper arms from the factory.
    Not quite sure of your question here.

You have the Average Fuel Consumption (AVG. __._ MPG) that shows comsumption since you bought the car or reset the button. You can reset this by pressing and holding the DISP button while it is being displayed.

You have Current Fuel Consumption ( __._ MPG) that show the current rate of consumption. I think this reads dashes before the engine is started. This button can't be reset.

Hopefully this will answer your question.
    The area that shows dashs does not change , always the same . the 22 and 24 i assume is showing what the gas milage is after any trip . but the # have never changed im all the miles driven . Would seem that the 22 / 24 would have either raised or lowered . only button i see is for the odomiter which i have never touched . car has too many gadgets . Hope this is clear .
    Yes, I think they should of changed also.

Go to the display that reads 22 then push and hold the DISP
    button down for a couple of seconds. Then go to the one that read 24 and do the same.

Let us know what happens
    looked for a button , could not find one . re/ read your msg and think you mean the button that brings up the readings . did not know that you can hold button down as you suggest . will try it tomorrow . let you know . thanks
  • algeealgee Posts: 78
    edited April 2011
    There are so many people on here that are not reading the manual. Is it age related or what. So many of these messages are useless because of that. I have read the manual and found everyone of my questions answered.
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    It's probably just a case of people not being able to find what they're looking for. If someone knows where a downloadable copy of the 2011 manual may be found, it would be far easier to download it and search the file for what you want.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    I believe you can get the manual (free) on toyota.com, but you have to create an account there first.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nceencee Posts: 419
    Ok folks. So what is the K rating of the stock Toyota HID bulbs? I (anyone) can get some 6,000K replacement bulbs for $175.00 a pair, which is 50% less then the dealer price. I'd like to get some brighter bulbs if they are available.

I'm getting the stock bulbs are 4,000 K, no, there 6,000 k É what in hell are they, and are there brighter bulbs available and where?

Skip
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Factory HID bulbs are ~4300K in colour, nothing to do with brightness unless you have human vision. Ebay has replacement bulbs for as little as $25.

If you don't have projector lense then that upgrade would yield the best "brightness" result. There are 50W hid bulbs/ballast available but the difference isn't really outstanding.
    your right , i hit the button and the 22 now reads 26/4 the dashes still there the 24 now reads 28 mph i saw nothing relative to this set up in the book and i read it 3 times . guess i must read again . seems strange that the one # reads mph as opposed to mpg . enlighten me on this please . thank you for your input 6 more months and i may find out most things . still find the car has way too many gadgets .
    This mph is your average speed since you reset it. This is located on page 2-2 of the online manual. I assume it's the same as the one in the cars.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Thank you.

I'm looking at some 6,000 K bulbs from:

http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/d4rhidbulbs.html

Any thoughts on these or this company?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    There is no advantage to 6000K other than letting oncoming drivers know you have non-factory HIDs.
  • tkaztkaz Posts: 69
    I am trying to sink the contacts from my iphone to the NAV system. When I start the car the screen shows the phone has conected. When I go to Phone Settings > Phonebook > Manage Contacts the screen shows "1000 of 1000 free". Then I hit Transfer Contacts. I have about 800 contacts to load. When it is done loading not all contacts loaded and the screen shows "0 of 1000 free". Many of the contacts are listed twice with identical info. I could go through and delete the duplicates but that won't solve my problem of getting all 800 contacts into the NAV system.
    Any ideas?
    Tony
  • marco33marco33 Posts: 15
    iamknott,

Well, I now know the problem. The "lump" in my case (Avalon Limited) is a small rigid plastic air plenum that connects seat bottom to the flexible air hose coming from the blower motor for cooled seats. The plastic plenum is a "connector" ( somewhat similar to the end of a garden hose) that directs cool air into a hole in the seat bottom padding. There are built in air ducts in the seat pad that direct air through the holes in the leather. What I am feeling is that rigid plastic "connector". I have asked the dealership to remove that plastic piece, as I don't care about cooled seats. But so far no luck. No one wants to touch it!

Really too bad this is happening, as in my case, my wife and I LOVE the Limited and that is the ONLY reason we are going through all this aggravation with dealership and Toyota HQ.

Good idea on the after market seat pad....I am thinking about that, as I really don't want another car. But it does seem kind of ridiculous to have to do that on a "luxury" car to get comfortable! Agree its better than loosing thousands on the car. This generation of Avalon is not due for a total re-design until 2013, so I am hopeful Toyota will fix it in their upcoming 2012 model, and simultaneously offer a retro-fix for previous models. we'll see...
  • thundersthunders Posts: 6
    edited April 2011
    We haven't driven our 2011 Avalon but 3500 miles (parked it this winter). Wife drove 3200 miles of it on a family trip which I wasn't on.

If I have a problem with the comfort of the seats I would take them to a seat place and have them redo the drivers seat to fit me. Lots cheaper than a new car. I had a friend that did his pickup truck seats that way and they seemed good.

The best seat I have found was in a BMW 700 LI, they sure have the seats but I didn't like how busy the interior was.
  • jim3jim3 Posts: 19
    I've had no end of problems on my base model Avalon wipers. They skate across the windshield. The dealer replaced the blades the first time it happened. With the first rain it happened again, on the passenger side only. The drivers side worked fine. Dealer then replaced the arm, worked OK thru a couple of rains. Came home Saturday morning in the rain, 125 miles, and both wipers skated. Toyota must have gotten a bunch of faulty arms, which don't put enough pressure on the windshield. With the windshield dry they work as intended, quietly. The minute it gets wet there's not sufficient friction for the wipers to flip over. I had proof of this as I was stopped under an overpass by a redlight, blocking the rain, and the wipers worked fine until the lite changed and the windshield got wet again!