Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nceencee Posts: 419
    Thank you for your input. I am curious as to what you / I can do with the Toyota Nav, that I haven't found, and is more then I can do with my Garmin?

I'm not sure, but I believe one of the things folks don't like about the Toyota (and maybe others) is that you can't enter while driving. While this appears to be true, how about via voice commands?

Also, how is everyone else find Sat Radio? Mine is ALWAYS going in and out? I lose a station signal 100% of the time, and varying number of times. Enough, so that I'm not likely to extend the contract once it expires.

I'd like to think it has nothing to do with where I live (Northern New England), but I will go out, when I go in the hilly areas, mountains, valleys, under tress, down streets with tall buildings? Is anyone else have this issue?

Is there a additional antenna or antenna booster that can be purchase, and if so, how much and is it worth it?
    Hi folks. Has anyone had a remote starter installed on their 2011 Avalon, and did you get the Toyota unit or an aftermarket unit? Please provide some feedback, +-'s to each unit.

I had an aftermarket one in my '08 and LOVED it! Maine winters seemed so much less with it:)

Skip
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I am curious as to what you / I can do with the Toyota Nav, that I haven't found, and is more then I can do with my Garmin?

Lots of vehicle related features, calendar, maintenance, stuff like that.

I'm not sure, but I believe one of the things folks don't like about the Toyota (and maybe others) is that you can't enter while driving. While this appears to be true, how about via voice commands? Voice commands will work while driving, it's just a lot to memorize. There used to be a goofy key sequence you could use to disable the block while driving, don't remember it and don't know if it works on the new systems or not.

Also, how is everyone else find Sat Radio? Mine is ALWAYS going in and out? I lose a station signal 100% of the time, and varying number of times. Enough, so that I'm not likely to extend the contract once it expires.

Sat radio requires a direct line of sight between the bird and the antenna, or it does usually go off. Tunnels, trees, mountains can block it. I don't know of a fix for that. Not a problem in the west usually, we have few tunnels, trees or other blocking things. However, I don't have satellite hooked up on my Lexus either. My wife's Mercury does have it hooked up, she uses the Disney channel for the grand kids. I'm a talk radio guy myself, and the radio is good enough for that.
    Thanks for the information.

Skip
  • jondjond Posts: 43
    Did you get the from Toyota or an outside source? If Toyota, what is the part number. I would like to get some that match my interior. Dealer says they do not exist.
    Toyota. I just had them look up last years mats, which are an exact match: PT548-07070-10

Skip
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Posts: 37
    My 2011 Avalon, made wiper blade noise from day 1. I tried all the "normal things" to do to eliminite the the sound....so finally took it in......wiper blades were replaced......still the noise continued. Took the car back in, Service manager said "I know how to take care of this"....so he drive car into service area.......got some different products.....completely cleaned the wipers, and the complete windshield.......because it was raining, he got to "test'" his process......came in, shook his head....said "he'd have to research the problem.

Toyato, now have a fix....I got all new "re-designed" wiper arm and new blades.....problem solved!!!!!!!

See your Toyato dealer....Service bulletin..should be available or maybe a recall.......
    Nice to know - thank you.

I can say that at this time, my wipers are quiet as a mouse, and they don't jump, squeak or anything - here's hoping it stays this way.

I can say, right now I wish the color was different. By this I mean, unless your in direct sunlight, the car looks black. Not that that's a bad thing, I just traded in a Black Avalon, but I look at this one in the sun and love the metallic red sparkle, i just wish it look red even in light or no sunlight.

What I'd really would have liked, was for the car to have been available in a nice med / dark blue:)

Still lovin the car, but did notice something the other day. The drivers seat looks like a few of the stitches are stretched and sure look like they are going to break real soon:(

I too, find the rain sensing wipers to be a bit of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed], and wish I could just set them to intermittent.

And last bit not least, my mileage doesn't seem to be that good yet. according to the computer gauge I'm averaging about 24 on the highway - driving at 65+ MPH.

Skip
  • adholtmanadholtman Posts: 21
    I can tell you your mileage on the highway will get lots better! I just came back from a road trip (mostly highway) and was getting about 32 mpg! Love it!
    Here's hoping it gets better. I do have several road trips coming up, so I'll be able to see just what I'm getting then.

How many miles do you have on your car? I don't have but a few thousand at this time. I'm also thinking the information available via the in-dash system may not be real accurate.

So at 32 MPG, you get around 500 miles to a tankful of gas:) even on my 2008 with 67,000 miles I never got over 450 +- to a tank, and I run dry and fill-up on any long road trip. Putting in 16.5+ gallons at each fill-up.

On this current tankful, I've been half tank in town, and the other half highway and looks like I might see 375 +- to the tank.

Skip
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I've owned three brand new Yotas (00 Solara, 03/06 Avys) all three of them got their best MPG after 5/6K miles.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    edited June 2011
    I have aprox. 8 thousand on my Avalon and I'm getting great MPG. My computer says I'm getting about 28.9.....of course this is not all the time........but when it stays around 28.9 I try MY BEST to increase my driving habits to get 29 MPG. Most the time I can get the 29 MPG on the computer. This driving is country/city. We live in the city but the city is small and in the country. NOT like Atlanta where it's almost all city. On HWY trips the computer gets to around 31.9 at the most.

We check our gas milage everytime we fill up and reset the computer. I did find out our actual gas milage is lower than what the computer says. We keep perfect records on ALL fill ups, oil changes, etc. Even though the actual MPG is lower than the computer our Avalon still gets great MPG. It's not off by much but a little. I would say about 2 mpg off.

Love the car. The ride is really nice. I have notice a problem with slight rain on the wiper blades. NOT bad but a slight problem. When it starts skipping this really bothers me.

I like the XM radio. Really nice. I do recommend a extended warranty. Jerry from Kansas can fix you up on that. For me it's peace of mind. Hope this helps.
    I test drove an Avalon where the back up camera was in the mirror, and must admit, the grids seemed nice. I then purchased a new Avalon, but with the Nav system. The back-up camera shows on the screen but it doesn't show grids, can this be turned on and if so where / how?

Skip
    I know the back up camera can be turned off. I believe there is a button on the mirror that allows this back up camera to be turn off. I do not know which button it is. I have an after market Nav system. The only option I did not get was the nav. system. Perhaps other people in here can help you better.
  • robsisrobsis Posts: 160
    I, too, wanted the grids on the NAV backup screen and looked everywhere in the manual to see if there was a way to turn them on and there isn't. Another forum confirmed this for me. I wanted them to be wrong; however, after several hours of research, I could find nothing. :(
    The second button on your rear view mirror will turn off the back up camera. I do not have a Nav. system to know if you can turn it off. Hope this helps.
    Robis, read what I wrote about the back up camera. I do not have a Nav. system but on my back up camera the second button on the mirror to the right turns it off. Personally for me, I like the camera. ONLY when it's raining do I turn it off. Hope this helps.
  • jondjond Posts: 43
    2011 Avalon. Is there a way to get the preset frequencies to change along with the media source (AM, FM, XM) other than pressing the Presets button? It would be nice if when you changed the source, the preset frequencies would automatically move with it.
    Well I got a reply from Toyota, and the Nav system camera DOES NOT come with the option for grid lines:(

___________ from Toyota

As you know, the rear view monitoring system in 2011 Avalons without navigation uses the rear view mirror to display guide lines for parking. However, these guide lines are not a feature in navigation-equipped Avalons. We apologize for any confusion regarding the capabilities of the various available systems in this model, and we thank you for choosing Toyota for your driving needs.

Some videos of the various available features in the Avalon can be found at http://www.toyota.com/avalon/demos.html. You may also find a demonstration video for the JBL Audio system with Navigation in the Avalon by visiting the official Toyota U.S.A. Youtube page, http://www.youtube.com/toyotausa, and clicking on "How-Tos & Demos".

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html.

Love my new 2011 Avalon Ltd and my old 2003 Avalon. However, I discovered the ground clearance on the new car is 5 3/8 inches when I parked it over a 6 inch parking lot curb, ripping off and tearing the plastic under shield behind the front bumper. Question: What do you call the part I destroyed. Also, what is it gonna cost me to replace it?
    My inlaw had identical problem with his 2010 Camry. Anyone else had to deal with this?
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Posts: 231
    On my 2007 Avalon, there is a right and left half to the shield. They are held on with plastic push fasteners. After my encounter with a curb, I had the local body shop order the destroyed left half. It was about $90(highway robbery!), and I installed it in about 15 minutes. There is a Toyota part number embossed in the shield, but the body shop seemed to be very familar with what to order.

I thought I might save a little money by ordering it from the local shop, and I never checked with the Toyota dealer.
    Good to know information. I always worry about hitting any curve I pull up to. I know these cars sit low to the ground. I never in my life thought it was below 6" though.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Ground clearance is minimal for aerodynamic reasons, and they aren't much lower than most sedans.
  • gramzgramz Posts: 105
    Just curious what your RPM reads when you're averaging about 24 on the highway - driving at 65+ MPH.

Or what does the + mean.

It hard to imagine that you are getting that low. At that speed I got around 32 on the road consistently from the very start.
    Ok so what is everyone getting, when (city, highway) (flat plains area, hilly, mountainous, stop and go) and what is the mileage on your car at this time?

I just did a trip to Vermont, and averaged 29.85 MPG, (501 miles to the tank) and this was pretty much a round trip with very little stopping. Some hills, mostly highway with 2 adults. 4000 miles on the car at this time.

Now this is about 100 +- better then the last few tanks of gas, so a nice improvement and pretty much right where it's suppose to be.

Skip

Skip
    edited July 2011
    I believe a lot of MPG has to do with the driver. People say they drive 65+ which is good but they might do "jack rabbit starts" and so forth. We all know this will lower you MPG.

I drive like this will be my last car I ever buy. It very well might be too. I have nearly 9000 miles on it and love the ride. Love the MPG for such a big car. Love the drive and all the options. I did not get the nav. system but my daughter bought me a small one to use. We've owned the car almost a year now. (I think that's right)

I get around 24 mpg and that's city/hwy driving. I live in the city but it's in the country. On the road we've got as good as 31 or maybe 32, (that's about right), I'm sure we never got 33. I believe 28 or 29 MPG on the HWY would be my average. Always two people on the road. Always carrying a lot of things too. :^) I log every fill up, every oil change, EVERYTHING.
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    I've got about 3900 miles on my Ltd, no Nav, and have been getting 28 to 30 mpg on the highway and usually drive a pretty consistent 75mph. Occasionally I find myself tooling down the highway at 85 mph because this car is so damn quite. Around town, lots of hills around here, I get about 18 to 19 mpg.

I try not to jack rabbit start but can't help occasionally blowing off a very surprised BMW driver. : )
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Posts: 231
    I have a 2007 with 45K miles. I have found that there is a distinct difference in gas mileage between 70 mph, and over 70 mph. 70 mph will get me 30 mpg, 75 mph will drop the gas mileage by a couple of mpg. This applies to southern interstate driving, with air and cruise on.
    I know what you mean about the BMW. I sometimes catch myself doing the same thing with different cars. I believe this car performance has a lot to do with the transmission.

MY MPG varies a lot, depending on my driving habits. I checked on my last long distant trip and got about 28-29 MPG on the HWY. Driving normal speeds. Around 80 or less.

My car computer is always off by 2 MPG, showing I'm getting better than I really am.

I have nearly 10 thousand miles on my car. Still runs good and no road noise and NO squeaks what so ever. NO problems to speak of. I do have a slight wiper problem everyone has talked about. I found out if you slow your wipers down it's almost stops. I think a lot of that depends on how hard it's raining. My wipers skip a little only when it's barley raining. NEVER on a hard rain. I don't believe there's anything wrong with the wiper arm.

I reset my computer on the MPG every time and I'm still 2 miles off per gallon every fill up, no matter what I'm always off that 2 MPG. I hope the MPG people are posting is NOT what the computer says.

IS there anyway to adjust the computer settings? Anyone!
    I DON'T think you'll blow away a 7 series BMW. I don't THINK. With that said I owned a 1996 Impala SS and this car can compare to that car in a 1/4 of mile. This is one fast big car. Toyota really out done themselves on this 2011 Avalon. Handling compared to the 96 Impala is much different. Mainly because that car is rear wheel drive.

I'm guessing they will never make the Avalon rear wheel drive. I say this because if you wanted rear wheel drive then move up the Lexus. I THINK all of them are rear wheel drive but I'm not really sure.