Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• A while back someone posted that Toyota was working on a new blade arm to eliminate the noisy wipers. Has a solution been found? My dealer claims not to have heard anything yet. Mine drive me crazy in anything other than a heavy rain....they are quiet then....but in a mist or light rain they skip, and make lots of unpleasant noises. Any suggestions?
  • nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    I have the same problem, but I think it's just the wiper getting broke in. I did hear of someone replacing the wipper blades and helped. I would have to look back.
  • gramzgramz Posts: 105
    I'm really curious as to what causes the problem.

I'm hoping my last forever as they are the quietest wipers I've ever had. Even it they only make one pass they are extremely quiet.

Makes a guy wonder?
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    On my 2008 Limited, when I squirted the windshield washers they always performed one last swipe across the windshield after pausing for awhile. On my 2011 Limited, after the wipers finish their passes, they simply stop with no final swipe. Is that everyone's experience or are mine not working correctly?
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    The manufacturer orders parts from 1000 different sub-manufacturers, once in a while, they don't work right.

FINALLY! A reasonable customer who understands the reality of building a car. My compliments on your intelligence and comprehension of the complexities of modern manufacturing. :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    So basicaly... you've impressed yourself?

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Oops!!! I didn't realize that was me! No wonder I agreed..... Sheesh. Can you please delete that message I wrote? And this one? I'm so embarrassed!!! :blush:
  • My 2011 Avalon has exactly what you have described. Exactly. I have about 27K on it. I have not had it looked out yet however.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    Oh gosh, no!! It's fun, nvbanker. I thought you did it on purpose... I would've if I'd made such great insights (that may have been ignored by others).

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nceencee Posts: 419
    Ok, so we took a 2 week trip in our 2011 Avalon, and here's what I'd like to say.

- The Nav systems made this trip a delight.
    - The tires were nosier then I'd like them to be
    - The wipers were very squeaky
    - The MPG was fine (we had a lot of stuff in the car / trunk)
    - The radio didn't seem to go up in volume as the car went faster or got loader inside
    - The seats were ok, not great, but ok

On the Nav system, yes it would be nice to add or edit while driving without using voice commands, but being able to use voice commands was just fine. When it went to the split screen while highway driving, so VERY nice.
    It wasn't perfect, and on 2 occasions, told us to take the next right (which would have put us into the farmers field). But once it realized we didn't turn, it got us back on track just fine.

The tire noise was a real big deal for both of us, a real big deal, and a real big pain in the butt. It caused us to stop a bit more often so we could get some piece and quiet.

The tires are Bridgestone Trunazs.

MPG bounced around, but so did the terrain and our speed.

I'd like quieter glass also. When it rained hard, the windshield was very noisy and unless we had the radio on 25 + for volume, we couldn't hear it, and we aren't that old or hard of hearing (yet:))

Skip
    Yeah, looks like nobody else even noticed! Obviously, they don't read me! :cry:
    Tire Noise: I have Bridgestone Turanzas on my Lexus also, and they're quiet. Much much quieter than the Dunlops I've had before. So I can't explain that, especially if they came with the car new. Tread design can make a world of difference on tire noise.

RADIO: You do know that you need to set the speed-controlled volume to a level of increase you desire, don't you? If not, you do.
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    Look at the lease rate for NY. Toyota is nuts if they think I'd pay more for an Avalon just because I don't live in NY. Wise up. Same stupidity with Lexus leases. :mad:

Lease Deal:

Deal: $349 per month for 36 months with $2,699 due at signing (New England)

Deal: $309 per month for 36 months with $2,999 due at signing (New York)

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/best-car-deals/Toyota-Deals/
  • robsisrobsis Posts: 160
    edited November 2011
    Just got back from Toyota with my new NAV disc. My '11 was one of the early ones and had the 09 disc, so I thought it a good idea to update. So far, so good, plus there seems to be a few minor screen changes. Map loaded seamlessly...total time to change out the discs was about 4 minutes, including system re-boot.

Part number, for anyone who is interested, is 86271-GEN06-11. Cost was $169 (supposedly Toyota List...and I had a $100 credit at the dealer, so it worked out nice for me!...I'm sure it might be cheaper if one were to look; however, who knows.) which, I believe, is less than previous Toyota NAV update DVDs....
    edited November 2011
    nan,

I have the same issue. Tech supervisor at the dealership said it was the adjustment system, not the steering linkage itself. I played around with my adjustments and it seemed to get better; however, if you are looking for it, it is there. The wife doesn't notice it at all...and I've learned to ignore it.

Now, if Toyota would replace the steering wheel adjustment system to one like in the Lexus......where it is all power.....that would probably eliminate the issue completely.
    edited November 2011
    nv,

Been off the forum for a while and started laughing at myself when I tried to find the original post you were replying to, finally realizing that you, indeed, were replying to yourself!

I'm glad the mod left it! Thanks for the smile and reminder that there are other humans on this forum like me!

Now, if you'd have disagreed with yourself..... ;)
  • How did you find out they had an update? Do you have to pre-order?
    edited November 2011
    I read last month that an update was coming out sometime in October. I was servicing my car and spoke with the parts department. Tech there said they keep a list, so I got on it. I had to pre-pay 'cause right on the Toyota tag it says:NO RETURNS Except for Warrantable Concerns". They called once they were available and got my CC number. It showed up in two days.

The packaging had a date on it of Oct 3, 2011.

HTH
    I played with the steering wheel and it's better. It's only a slight move but it's there. My wife doesn't notice it but I do. I really like the car. With that said this is one small problem that is really bugging me. We paid a lot of money for a these cars so there should be no movement in the steering wheel at all. MY OPINION! I'm still wondering if the movement is tied to the front end. Maybe I'm just looking for something wrong. When I can I'm going to take to dealer. If nothing else just to log in where I had a problem. In case it breaks in the future. 13,100 miles on car, owned for year and 1/2
    Yes, at least I agree with myself, but that is little comfort when I don't recognize my own post! :surprise:
  • cgcjkcgcjk Posts: 1
    2011 Avalon, purchased in May. Since we turned the clocks back on Sunday, I went through the Settings to the Clock and did what I thought would work: Push the Daylight Savings button to Off and hit Save. Then....nothing. I ended up having to manually change the clock. Am I missing something? My 2004 Highlander worked just fine.
    That works on my Lexus...... :confuse:
    Sometimes I think we are spoiled. I changed my clock without looking to see if there was a button to push to do it for me. I think it took 30 seconds.
    After reading this blog, I have to say, I can't keep from laughing. It's really funny, nvbanker........NOT laughing at you but with you. :)
    I have to agree with you about the tires. VERY Noisy. I think I might look into Michelin when I have to buy new tires. I am told they are clostly.

I don't have a Nav system.

I love the MPG and I'm quite impressed by this 3600 hundred pound car.

The seats work great for my bad back. It takes some time to adjust them but I'm impressed on how I feel after a trip. I feel great. MUCH better than my last car. My back is VERY VERY bad.

My wipers are noisy too, but only when there is light rain. Heavy rain they work great.

I have 13,500 miles on my car as of today. Nov. 14, 2011

I would give the Avalon two thumbs up. Not because I own one but I honestly think it's a great car.
  • I purchased my 2011 Avalon in the end of Feb. From the beginning I had a binding and cracking sound in the steeering column and wheel. The noise occurs more frequently now and happens when the vehicle is moving
    Toyota could not hear or feel it till the 10,000 mile check. Then they took a new Avlon off the lot and said they heard it first time out.
    The Toyota engineer stated he doesn't know what it is or how to fix it, but he is certain it is not a safety issue. I have notified NHTSA and have filed with Toyota--Toyota's reply was"if our engineer's say its safe,its safe" Their engineers do not engender confidence after their recall issues. I am going to file under the Lemon Law and see what transpires.
    Please keep me updated on what happens with your problem. I have this very slight movement in my steering column. It's so slight, I'm sure no one will notice it. I have NOT taken my car to the dealer, yet. I will mention the problem with my next oil change. This should be very soon as I have 13,700 miles on my Avalon as of today. My dealership seems to be a dealership that cares. We'll see. I'll also post any issue they find, if any.

The movement is so slight I'm afraid this problem might be going on and no one is noticing it. I do! Again keep me posted and I'll do the same.

The problem is this: There is a slight move in the steering column on certain turns. There is no way to make it happens, it just happens. The movement doesn't happen all the time but it is there. I would say it's not a safty issue but there is something going on. I know the problem was not there when I bought the car. Hope this helps everyone. Will update later.
    Yeah, I keep hoping the host will delete that post..... :blush:
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I think it's cute..........at least your agreeing, and not disagreeing.
    If I start disagreeing with myself, you'd better call the white coat sqad.....