Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    This car has been passed around a lot. I would be very careful with that low of miles.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    There's an interesting crimp in the tether for my Lexus as well. I don't think it helps, but I've learned to deal with it.
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    Is that dealer in Kansas, I think, still selling the Toyota Extended Warranties for less than other dealers? If could could I get the contact name and telephone number?
    Thanks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    We don't permit contact info to be posted here (no names, no numbers), but they're welcome to post the dealership name and you can let google do the work from there.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    The info is right here in this forum. Post #883

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson, KS EXT. 565, I'm not allow to post the name or the phone number. I don't want to violate any of the rules in this blog. Hope this helps,
  • Present situation:
    Toyota Sienna LE 2009
    Subaru Forester S 2002
    3 kids, and all are getting bigger
    Tight garage

I would like to replace the Forester.

I am having issues with getting the kids to fit in the back of the Forester, or, if I need to pick up my oldest from high school and her friends. A new car has to solve that problem, or its pointless.

Another way to put it, if the minivan was broken, we could still take a trip from Chicago to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin and not have kids complaining they are uncomfortable. Not to Colorado, but a day trip length. Or say kids to college.

I would like to replace the garage, but it looks like it isn't going to happen. I also question that even if I do replace it, I still would have a problem with larger vehicles, because I have to make a sharp S turn to get in.

I like many cars, for instance, Subaru Outback, Highlander, 4Runner, Camry, RAV4, Venza, Honda Pilot, and now, the Avalon. But some of them are too big. I am now willing to give up AWD.

I like the heated seats (like my Sub), full size spare (like the Sub), heated mirrors (like the Sub), large back seat with a comfortable middle seat. Other things too, folding mirrors, hands free, heater vent towards the back seat. Much to like, not many objections.

Reviews of the Avalon say they are pricey, so I have to ask, if I am willing to purchase an Avalon, are there other cars in that price range, for instance some of the Nissan or Infiniti cars, that might be suitable. Honda Accord? Any opinions?
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    Many thanks, made contact with Jerry
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Posts: 111
    I had a 2000 & 2004 Forester, both of which I liked. I know what you mean about the terrible backseat in the Forester, one of the few downsides of that car. I now own a 2005 Avalon Limited and a 2010 Outback, both purchased new. The OB is very nice, much nicer and more refined than my Foresters. However, it can't touch the AVY, which is more powerful, rides better, more comfortable with a limo like backseat. And it is very easy on gas for a big car. It has also been very reliable. And remember, I really like my OB.

BTW, I live near Pittsburgh and have never had a problem in the winter with the Avy, which has about 96,000 miles on it. The redsigned Avy, which is due out in within a year, will be on my short list when I trade in my current AVY.

I've also test driven a Venza. It reminds me of an Avy SUV. But I did not think it was worth thousands more than the OB, which I think the Avy is.
  • fhffhf Posts: 19
    See comment #708 on Pg 36 !
  • gramzgramz Posts: 105
    On the turn signal lever you can turn your lights on, turn to automatic, turn off DRI and turn your lights off.

Closer to the steering wheel on the turn signal lever is a control where you can turn SOMETHING? on and turn SOMETHING? off. I can't determine what this something is. I've looked in the manual with no luck. Can someone explain this?

Thanks
  • I'm pretty sure that's the control ring for the fog lights.
  • gramzgramz Posts: 105
    Thanks, that's it. Found it in the manual also.

Something I've never used.
  • Yes, it's definitely the fog light switch. Nice thing is that one doesn't have to use the fog lights when they're not needed. Many cars have them integrated into headlights so that they come on every time the lights are turned on. The Avalon has a better system and will allow them a longer life before replacements are needed.....at least it would seem that way.
  • Picked up a new 2011 Avalon on Saturday, Feb 25. They had to change the battery saying it had sat in the showroom for a long time, which seemed odd. I signed all the papers and supposed to go by and drop off my check tomorrow. I drove it 150 miles on Saturday with no problem I get up this morning and the maintenance warning light is on. Owners manual says to take it to the dealer. I'm wondering if I am getting a lemon and do I have any recourse to cancel the deal since I haven't paid? It may be something simple and I don't want to be unreasonable, but what are my options here?
  • They put air in the tires and warning light went out. Brand new car and low on air? Strange. I had a Buick with tire pressure monitors that came on randomly. More trouble than they were worth.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    If the car sat for awhile, it's entirely possible. Get used to tire monitors they are required equipment on all new cars.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

I wouldn't worry about the little things. A car that sits for a while with all these options will drain the battery. I personally do not like a car to sit but my car sits a lot too. I've had no problems at all with my battery.

I love my Avalon but I'm thinking about selling it. Nothing wrong with the car or any complaints. It's just we're not driving that much and I really only bought it to drive back and forth to Birmingham AL for my wife's treatments.

Any takers on my 2011 Avalon LTD, I'm asking 32, comes with factory warranty plus an 8 yr. 100,000 mile extended warranty, I have 15 thousand miles on the car. It's the limited edition and of course there is savings of no sales tax for all buyers. All records including EVERY fill up. Car has no dents, nothing wrong, garage kept. Perfect, not as much as a door dent, with tinted windows and a nice pin strip. Silver! The price might sound high but it's really a new car.
    edited February 2012
    I wouldn't worry about the little things. A car that sits for a while with all these options will drain the battery. I personally do not like a car to sit but my car sits a lot too. I've had no problems at all with my battery.
    edited February 2012
    I love my Avalon but I'm thinking about selling it. Nothing wrong with the car or any complaints. It's just we're not driving that much and I really only bought it to drive back and forth to Birmingham AL for my wife's treatments.

Any takers on my 2011 Avalon LTD, I'm asking 32, comes with factory warranty plus an 8 yr. 100,000 mile extended warranty which is transferable to anyone. I have 15 thousand miles on the car. It's the limited edition and of course there is savings of no sales tax for all buyers. All records including EVERY fill up. Car has no dents, nothing wrong, garage kept. Perfect, not as much as a door dent, with tinted windows and a nice pin strip. Silver! The price might sound high but it's really a new car.

Photobucket
  • I was away on a long cruise only to find my tire pressure gauge lighting up when I returned. Actually it turned out to be the spare tire that was soft. The spare should be checked when the light comes on as it may be the culprit.
    I notied my spare going low too. Always making the warning light come on. I thought that was odd being it's the spare. It's happened twiced now.
  • My 2011 Avalon is close to my last "Free Oil Change".....My Toyato dealer, does a good job but think they try to "over sell". At the 15,000 and 20,000 oil change, they wanted me to replace the cabin air filter......I said "NO". They never showed me the filter, so yesterday, I spent 10 minutes...and checked it myself.

Tools needed, 1 phillips screw driver. Here is procedure:

1. Take everything out of glove box(reason the filter is behind).
    2. Take the 1 screw out of the "piston rod holder", on right side.
    3. Glovebox has 2 tabs, 1 on left and 1 on right. Push these, toward center of glove box.....can do these, 1 at a time.
    4. Front of Glove box, will drop down....allowing access to the "cabin filter housing".
    5. Has tab on either side.....push/pull out......cover is now loose.
    6. Filter is right there.....pull it out.

7. If you have Toyato do it......filter is $25.00 plus labor to put in...
    8. Filter Price in stores is from $10.00 to $14.00.....my labor is cheap.
    9. Put new filter in .... mine had alot of stuff in it.....I tapped it on the cement but will replace, when I have a new filter.

Total time......Less than 10 minutes......

PS.....I like my Ltd., have 2 parties that want to buy it.......I'm waiting for 2013 before I make a move.

Total time to do this.....less than 10 minutes
    edited February 2012
    Thanks, that's excellent information. I was offered 30 grand for my Avalon, NOOOOOOOO, I said! I might just keep it. Thanks again for information on the air filter. What are your offers? I'm curious. Sounds like you have about the same miles as I do. That's low miles, not even broke in. I would write down the date on the filter or on your records. The date you changed the filter.
  • 1. I wrote down the date and mileage on the cover of the "cabin air filter", both for myself but also any Toyato techs., that might "want to check it"

2. No dollar amount talked about but it would be whatever the high book is at the time. Just makes it nice that others want a nice "used" car, and can't/won't spend the $$$$$$$$$ to buy brand new.

I like new, can afford new, pay cash for new......so sure not going to "take a bath" by trading the car in, with a dealer.
  • marv15marv15 Posts: 32
    Can't wait.
    Eric
    Posted on: February 7, 2012 6:42 pm

I work for Toyota. Here is what I have to say about the new Avalon.

Has a Jaguar XJ like side view with the current Avalon tail lights
    The one I saw was white
    Had a walnut interior
    Biggest change in any toyota in many, many years
    Front looks like the current Lexus LS; almost identical
    IT IS HUGE
    It officially gets rid of the “granny car”…
    Apparently the EPA is 25/35
    There WILL be a hybrid version. (Mystery large Toyota hybrid)
    It will be shown at the NY auto show

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-toyota-planning-gas-sipping-avalon-19-new-mode- ls-for-2012-166917.html#ixzz1oZ5DJKbD
  • marco33marco33 Posts: 15
    Since you work for Toyota, maybe you know the answer. I have a 2011 avalon, and the driver and front passenger seats are very uncomfortable. seats are cooled, and the air plenum that connects cooling air duct to underside of seat jabs me and my wife. i went thru all teh normal channels at Toyota, had two cases opended' and there is nothing they can do. seat basically needs a bit more padding.

Did they fix this and/or change the front seat design for 2013? Other wise love the car, but am looking to get rid of it due to discomfort....
  • marv15marv15 Posts: 32
    I don't work for Toyota, notice I cut and pasted from a Motor Trend article, what Eric posted who says he works for Toyota. Sorry I can't help. I have the heated seats not the cooled ones. I decided that when told by a friend the cool seats aren't that comfortable.
    My seats are very comfortable, I've had no issues with my 2011 Avalon. I'm waiting to see the 2013, and then will decide whether to by the new one. If the EPA figures Eric posted are true, I might take the leap.
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Posts: 37
    If you like the car???? Do you want to keep the car????? If the answer to these 2 questions is yes.....then I'd find a upholstery shop, tell them what you want.....they can get it done, so that it will be more comfortable. Would be a "heck of alot cheaper than a new car".....

My Unlimited Avalon, just turned 25,000.....last free oil change. I have the cool/heated seats...have zero (0) complaints......I'm 6'3" and 250+ and they work and feel great.....