Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    If gas price, premium vs regular, is an issue the LS will run perfectly fine on regular. Modern day engine control systems use the crank position sensor to determine which correction action is required once knock/ping is detected. Detonation prior to spark ignition and EFI dutycycle will be adjusted to provide slight mixture enrichment. Detonation with or subsequent to spark ignition and the timing might be retarded.
    edited May 2011
    The ES350 is nothing more than a "spiffed up" Toyota Camry, NOT an Avalon.

The Camry/ES is also FWD.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the Avalon except for it being FWD, putting life and limb at risk in wintertime adverse, slippery, roadbed conditions.
    Yes, the Lexus will likely cost a fortune to fix, when and/or if it fails. A very rare event IMMHO.

I know of 3 LS400s, a 91 (brother), a 92 (mine), and a 95 (marketing mgr), all well beyond 200,000 miles and NEVER been back to Lexus, or elsewhere, for repair.

I NEVER use the local Lexus dealer for anything but parts purchase and whenever I do that I always stop by the coffee machine for a StarBucks Latte.

That being said I am on record as fully expecting the transaxle to fail prior to 100,000 miles due to a design flaw in my '01 F/awd RX300. But that will be a DIY effort and the RX will be converted to R/awd in the process.

80,000 plus miles and counting.

So I would advise that NO ONE purchase an RX300. RX330 adopted DBW to alleviate the problems arising from the design flaw but that resulted in other issues, intangible issues.
  • douglas1douglas1 Posts: 130
    I had a 2005 Avalon Ltd that I bought new and traded in on a 2011 Avalon Ltd. The 2011 is superior in all respects than my 2005. Better milage, better ride, much quieter.
  • nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    For those who own a 2011 this is great news. I've always wondered how this 2011 stacks up against earlier years. I traded a 2000 Avalon in on my 11. The steering on my 2000 was easier. It seems Toyota has change the steering method. Besides that I didn't own my 2000 long enough to compare. I had electrical problems with that car. Again thanks for sharing,
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Well I hemmed and all, but ended up with the 2011 Avalon, and so far - love it.

I'd really like to get matching floor mats though:('

I got the Red with creme colored interior and well, black mats just don't do it for me.

Now I'm thinking I'll get the dealer to order some tan that are available for 2011's, and swap with them.

Other then that, I've only gone 5 miles so way to hard / early to say what I like or don't like over my 2008 Touring Model Avalon.

Skip

PS In case you are wondering, it did weight heavy in my discussion - that the dealer just purchased $8,000.00 + in promotional products and print matter.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Congrats! If you can, post up a pic or two!

As for the black mats, go on Ebay and grab the ivory set for a 05-10 Avalon. I don't believe they have changed at all.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

I'd post a picture if I could see how?

Ok, so I'll post on my fliker account.

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal/

Once we have a sunny day, I'll get more photo's of the car, and maybe even a cool one or two.

Skip
    Very Nice, I hope you don't mind, but I'll put it up for others to see.

Not at all. Thanks.

I hope to spend some time with the car and my camera and see if I can get something just a bit different to the coming days.
    edited May 2011
    Great choice for your color. I went with a Silver. I wish now I bought a blue. I did get my windows tinted and I think your car would look nice with a tint to the windows. (my opinion) plus maybe a pin strip. (again my opinion) GREAT color choice.

The more I drive my Avalon the more I like the car. I recently got 24.9 MPG HWY/City driving. No problems, very nice driving car and LOVE the extra power if needed. How did you post your picture? I now have 7,000 miles and counting. :)

Now you MIGHT want to check into an extended warranty. MOST of us in here use Jerry out of Kansas. He sells them out of the back seat of his car. (ONLY kidding) We all need a good laugh but seriously, I don't have the information in front of me but he is a fraction of what a dealer will charge you. He is a Toyota dealer but deals in volumn. Great guy and like I said a lot of us has bought extended warranty from him with no reported problems. It's a Toyota warranty and all dealers honor it. I bought 8 yr. 100 mile extended warranty for resale value. I think I paid a little over a 1,000 but don't quote me on that price, it could have been more. One reason for buying an extended warranty for me was "peace of mind".

I love the simplicity of the Toyota buttons. The 2011 Avalon was a great choice for you. I think you'll be very happy. Take care, Bill from East of Atlanta area.

Yea, some nice tint would really look nice on your car. I had to take a second look but it would be worth the little extra money.
    Thanks, I'll check into tinted windows:)

I first posted a link to my flicker site, then a member here posted it on-site. I forgot to ask him how he did it.

I'll have to check into the extended warranty. I traded my 2008 Touring Edition Avalon, with 66,000 miles on it (It was 15 months old), so the standard warranty will be up in 9-10 months for me.

As for the buttons, there sure are a ton of them. So far, I wish the information showed up i the main screen instead of in tiny letter in the dash. This isn't just me, I've had 1 passenger so far (I've got 6 miles on the car so far:)), and that person ask where the outside temp and stuff was displayed.

Have a great day, and we'd love to see pictures of your car posted here.

Here's the Avalon I traded.

- http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2333/5742160643_d95192e695_b.jpg

Skip
    Hi folks. Not sure if anyone is interested, but these are some nice detailing kits?

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal/5742742044/in/photostream

Skip
    Once you have your picture uploaded to a hosting site such as Flicker, Photobucket, snapfish, or any picture you see on the web, you right click the image and choose "properties". In the dialog box that shows up, highlight and "copy" the image address.

Once you have that done, click the "IMG" button over here at Edmunds while composing your message and then "paste" the address of the picture and once more click "IMG" to add the ending code.

Ok, so I think I've got it?

These are for sale at the web site, should that be noted anywhere? Is it better to have a link to the web site instead of posting the photo?

Skip
    Damn I've looked just about everywhere to try and turn off the nav, but I can't find it.

Some times I can turn it off, but as soon as I start the car again, it picks up where it left off.

I'm going to check youtube - which has a dozen or so video tutorials on the Nav system and hope one of them is on how to turn it off.

Skip
    I've got 4 brand new CD's and the newest iPod, and when I play the CD's or use the iPod, I get nothing for information showing up? Nothing as in track number, song title É nothing?

I'm guessing I have some setting set wrong but don't see which one it could be?

Any help here would be great.

Skip
    I know people have different of opinions in cars but "WHY" in the world would you trade such a good looking, low miles, Avalon for a new one?
    Well for me, 67,000 miles in 15 months isn't low mileage. By the end of the year, it would have had 90,000+, and it would get to the point where I would have to keep it, as the miles on it vs the year, would scary most folks away from it, and dealers wouldn't give anything to speak of, for it on trade.

It was / is a great car and all, but this Limited is SO MUCH MORE.

- So much more quite
    - So much more comfortable
    - So much more car

Yes I'll like consider trading in a few years or so, but right now, it seems the thing to do.

I'm sure I can justify it, because my business pays for the new car and yes I know it would likely go into the 100's of thousand miles without any major issue, but I feel more comfortable driving with a car with lower miles, and in this case, after driving the Limited, and much better car for me when I'm on the rode for miles / hours on end.

Skip

Heck if you know anyone looking for a Avalon, with 80+% highway miles (several trips from Maine to Florida and all points in-between), send them to Emerson Toyota in Auburn, Maine, they won't be sorry they purchased the car).

Maintained daily / weekly, the car is a sweet ride, and WILL make someone a great car.
    Has anyone installed these, and what did you think?

How much were they?

Install ok?

Worth the price?

Skip