Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• gramzgramz Posts: 106
    I'm sure you can get them online. I got my at the local NAPA parts store.
  • stormin800stormin800 Posts: 39
    Yes, I buy mine online. I always have because they are so much less expensive than buying from the toyota dealer. I think the dealers are charging $27.00 and I can get toyota brand filters for 15.99. You can buy non toyota filters that fit for $5-10, but I have always used the toyota filters.
    You will be shocked at how much dust and pollen is trapped in the filter if you never changed yours. Good luck
  • lntlnt Posts: 192
    HI, Hope you don't start charging me for questions! lol. I have a question about voice calling a number (dial by name) on my hands free phone. Most of the time it works great, but one name I have on my phone, Beth, does not work. I know it is probably because the "th" is silent, but no matter how distinctly I try to say the name, the person on the computer doesn't recognize it. She says, "Pat" or all kinds of names but never "Beth". So, I need to change that name and call this person by another name that is more easily understood by the computerized voice. How do I go in and edit and change the name that goes with the phone number I am trying to call? I am afraid I will mess up everything or delete everything! The salesman is the one who connected my iphone, but that's a long ways from my house. I read the manual and didn't find how to edit a name. Help!
  • nan48nan48 Posts: 350
    I can't wait to hear this answer. I don't know how to even add a name. The names on my blue tooth are the ones we put on when we bought the car. I have almost everyone on there but I did notice I didn't have my personal home phone the other day. I had to actually PULL OVER and dial the number. I couldn't figure how to add the name. Waiting for someone to answer you and perhaps that will help me.
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Posts: 37
    I wouldn't even worry about the edit feature......I'd just make up a new name, and save that.

I have Verizon for my cell phone service......If I wanted to edit a name, I'd just stop in there........because they work with all brands of phone, they can ALWAYS answer ANY question I've ever had. If they aren't busy, they will go right to my car and "do it for me". Sure worth a try!!!!!
    edited July 2013
    SO, if I put her "new" name in my iphone, will it automatically sync with my car? One other question. My tire pressure light came on. I read the manual, but I do not see any kind of a switch where the manual tells me to look to reset the light. Where is the silly thing? My other car had the valve caps that were green and when a tire was low, the cap turned red. I wish I had taken those off when I traded cars! The book says it is under a panel. I just looked and don't see panel they are talking about. The valve caps were much simpler and you knew which tire was low!
    The tire pressure warning switch is there but they hid it well. Under the steering wheel on the left side follow the dash all the way down and to the back and then underneath about an inch. Really hard to explain but it's there.
  • robin5robin5 Posts: 19
    If the tire pressure is low, check all five of your tires, don't just turn off the light. DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE SPARE- it also has a low pressure indicator. (It would be very disappointing to need a tire change only to find that your spare is flat, too.)
    No reset button on the low tire gauge.

When you put the proper amount of air in the tire then your warning light will go out. It might take a little time finding the low tire. I have one tire that I had plugged. This tire has a slow leak, so I watch the tire pressure. If I miss watching the tire pressure the light comes on. So I know it goes out after you put the proper amount of pressure in the low tire.

One time, the tire pressure was low in the spare tire. So keep in mind it could be your spare tire that has low air.

Hope this helps,
  • stormin800stormin800 Posts: 39
    Is there somewhere in the dash to see what the tire pressure is in each tire
    Thanks. It was the spare tire and the light did go off when it was aired up.
    I had forgotten about the spare.
    My sales manager told me it resets automatically when all the tires are aired as they are supposed to be and NOT to mess with that switch under the panel!
    THanks to everyone for all their help! Maybe by the time the car wears out, I'll have everything figured out. lol
  • Hi:

Had a Limited 2011, loved the car but it was a car I purchased when the wife was alive, she passed, and I decided "to gift the car to my oldest son".

I bought a 2013 Limited with all the options.....

It was about 2 weeks that I had both car, at my place...so I could drive/test both.

2011.....more room, bigger gas tank, push button gas cap, NO WAY to lock the trunk(no button in glove box), soft ride.

2013....smaller gas tank, gas door(mickey mouse)no button inside car, paddle shifters, can select 3 modes for transmission shifting, stiffer suspension, better GPS, gas mileage better.

2013 cost more but I got more options that weren't available in 2011. I like the way the 2013 handles....in corners and overall on the road, not a soft ride. I like the paddle shifters, use them lot's......sports car like feature.

Both great cars but, for me, 2013 gets my vote!!!!!
  • its time to buy the the platinum warranty , does anyone know any reason not to use the contact offered by the guy in Kansas as was discussed in the posts in the year of 2011 car is great but i think its time to buy the warranty . only got 18000 miles . What say you ???? Help for the old man . I have the # as 1 800 530 5789 . cant remember his name . Question !!!! the price quoted was $564.00 any change relative to that number?????
  • They wanted $150 to change the cabin filter on my wife's Acura TSX. The dealer price for the part was around $25; OEM from online parts houses was around $15. I bought a big carbon filter upgrade for about $20 and installed myself in about 15 minutes with constant reference to a nice YouTube video. If I'd done it before, it would have been 3 or 4 minutes.

They all (or most) install about the same. Now that I've done one, I'll do the Toyota as well.
  • Has anybody collected anything substantial based on one of these extended warranties? It's bad enough trying to get Toyota to honor the original (usually, in my experience). Consumer's Reports advises against them. So has anybody with, let's say a $500 warranty extension had a more expensive repair, such as a transmission replacement, paid for? If so, how much effort did it take?
    Jerry, bought one too but so far I never used it. He sent all paper work. If I have ANY problems, I will first to post.

All my free oil changes are used up. Now it's time to pay the piper. Their telling me next oil change and cabin filter change will cost me about 175.00, wow! I think I can change the cabin filter myself. I only have 27 thousand on my 2011 car.
  • what happened to the $564.00 price ?????? QUESTION can you buy a warranty after the 36 th month passes ??? must you buy the warranty before the 36th month goes by ????. Major QUESTION has anyone used the warranty we are talking about ??????? if not how do we know the warranty is any good . !!!!!!! I got a notice from some outfit that i*m sure was a scam offering warranty protection before the end of the 36 th month time frame , it did not identify it self as a Toyota entety and it called it self a Repair Saver . if your time is coming up you may get one also .Repair service claims to be a registered product with the Calif Dept of insurance through the powertrain protection LLC. Any one have any info on this
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,900
    No full names, please (first name, last initial only), and we don't permit contact info to be posted. Thanks!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• just heard from toyota must buy before 3 yrs or 36000 miles never heard what price would be . bunch of bums these dealers . trying to grind out every last dime and expect good will from us the buyers . just like the politicians
    The AC light stays on I think all the time but in the back of my mind I see to remember it being off earlier in the life of the car. The service guy tells me it stays on.

2011 Avalon, does your stay on all time winter and summer.
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    edited November 2013
    Over the last 20 years our extended family has put at least 100k miles on many, many cars. These were Hondas, Nissans, Lexus and Toyotas (mostly Avalons, no repairs) so the base car had a great reputation. Any major repair on any of the cars would have been after the 100k mile mark and the warranty would have been worthless if the limit was 6 years and 100k. Only two of about two dozen had any problem that would have been under the extended warranty if the time and mileage were unlimited..

Consumer Reports is right, the warranty extension to 100k is a waste of money at any price provided you start with a solid nameplate, as above. Now, if you buy a lesser name... different story maybe... my experience anyway.
    Does the 2011 AC light stay on all the time on the 2011 Avalon?
  • on my 2012 Avalon the AC light is only on when you push "auto" to start the system, or if you push it on when it's off. If it's on all the time there may be a malfunction. Have dealer check it out.
    edited November 2013
    No, my light stays on most the time because of fogging up but I can turn my AC off. I have a 2011 LTD, 27 thousand miles and still going. Hope this helps,
  • I purchased a 7 yr/75K extended warranty for my 2007 Avalon from the mid-west dealer during my first year of ownership. I cost me around $675. I had a complete CD player failure last year. My local dealer said no repair, radio and CD player are integral unit and must be replaced. This was done with absolutely no cost to me. Service Manager said my out of pocket cost would have been around $1500, parts and labor, if I did not have the extended warranty.

It was the first time I have ever bought an extended warranty, but it definitely paid for itself. Procedure at dealership was painless.
    edited November 2013
    Great story about your CD player, I'm glad you shared it with us. I bought the 8 yr. 100 thousand mile warranty for 1,000, I think that was the price. I probably over bought but I tend to do that. I have 27 thousand on my 2011 Avalon. I hope I don't have to ever test the warranty. NORMALLY, I never buy an extended warranty. After hearing about the rear view mirror costing someone 1200 dollars in this blog, well, that made my mind up. Thanks for sharing, Oh yea, as your warranty runs out, many companies will offer to sell you their warranties. Most of these warranties are very weak to say the least. BUY a Toyota warranty if you buy one.
    About every three weeks, my tire sensor light comes on. It is always the spare tire that is a few pounds low. I finally took it to Discount tire to see if they could find the leak. They did not find anything wrong with the tire. Anyway, the guy said they put 35 pounds in all 5 tires and I was good to go. I told him that I always put 32 in them and he told me that they were supposed to put 35 in them in the winter months. I live in Texas so not that cold. Anyway, I told him to let it out back down to 32. He wasn't too happy about it, but did it. Am I wrong? Am I going to ruin my tires by having 32? I think it rides better and is quieter with 32, but I don't want to ruin the tires. Well- I won't be sad when I have to put new tires on it because these are Bridgestones and I have always had Michelins before. Also, I have never had to constantly air up a spare tire before. It has never been on the ground. Why would it keep losing air?
  • finfin atlantaPosts: 588
    edited November 2013
    Quick answer: At 35 cold (air filled) you will hit near 40 on a hot Texas day on the interstate... waaaay too much. 32 cold is a better number, you did it right. The notice on the inside of the driver's door shows tire pressures.

My '07 Limited always had the low tire air pressure light come on when we drove in colder weather...overnight temp drop, there it was in the morning. Never a flat, spare never used.. same story.. Put more air in the spare, worked for me.... hope this helps.
    edited November 2013
    The post above me is probably right. With that said, I always run my tires with 35 psi in them. I personally believe I get better MPG but I can't prove that.

I have one tire that was plugged when I first bought the car. It was that or buy a new tire. A plugged worked good until now. Now every three weeks or so I have to ad air to that one tire.

I have Bridgestone tires. I am wondering what kind of tires are best for the Avalon? I am partial to Michelins tires because of the ride.

I would like any kind of help on buying tires.